- April 7, 2021 at 6:37 am #474809Grace ScarlettParticipantRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 54Replies: 1106Has thanked: 3849 timesBeen thanked: 5735 times
Returning from the shops one day,
walking through the park,
I noticed footsteps close behind,
just as it was getting dark.
Then hearing heavy breathing,
it made me turn round quick,
to see a middle aged jogger,
and he wasn’t in good nick.
His face was red and bloated,
he struggled with his pace,
breathlessly with wobbly legs,
was this his final race????
Eventually he passed me by,
he still did not look well,
why would a person late in life,
go through this living hell??
Unless you want Olympic gold,
why pound the streets in pain??
knees and hips all wearing out,
just what is there to gain???
So why do older people run???
slow down and take a stroll,
go faster than the reaper can
Bettylou said that’s her goal.
- April 8, 2021 at 2:53 pm #475313Bianca EverdeneLadyRegistered On: April 11, 2017Topics: 24Replies: 768Has thanked: 3081 timesBeen thanked: 3064 times
Love the poem🤣
Coming up to my 40th anniversary of my first 1/2 marathon. Still run at least 4 times a week.
-still the same weight and dimensions I was was back then, a size 10(UK)❤️
-great for toning those leg muscles.
-I can eat what I want and stay the same weight. Never had to diet.
-been off sick twice in 20 years, flu both times and had to stay off so as to not infect others.
-GI tract regular-mobility helps motility🤣
-great for the circulation, and Vit D synthesis helps build bone strength and the nervous system.
-Great for mental health, clearing the head in the fresh air. And the act of just getting out that door regardless of the weather fosters mental strength.
-I sleep like a baby.
-races-ever been surrounded by lots of fit Lycra clad women, I have lots and lots and lots🤣
-cheaper than the gym membership, or those fancy indoor exercise (torture) machines, or club memberships.
-you can go as fast or slow as you want, aim to improve your time and fitness, or just jog and watch the world go by.
-Great excuse to wear Lycra leggings outdoors in the winter, and show off all my leg shaving efforts in the Summer.
Well you did ask why🤣🤣🤣
- This reply was modified 1 week ago by Bianca Everdene.
- April 8, 2021 at 3:22 pm #475316
- April 7, 2021 at 11:02 am #474897Eva KellyDuchessRegistered On: March 1, 2021Topics: 7Replies: 209Has thanked: 2116 timesBeen thanked: 971 times
- April 7, 2021 at 11:08 am #474898
- April 7, 2021 at 10:17 am #474891KristaDuchessRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 8Replies: 535Has thanked: 1293 timesBeen thanked: 2320 times
Good Morning Gracie, a lovely poem BUT I will have to respectfully disagree with the message. A worthy topic of discussion over an ale at the pub.
I started running marathons when I was in my forties. Experiencing the so-called “runner’s high” was amazing. You are right, over the years I’ve had a few injuries (one caused by wearing the wrong type of runners – supination vs pronation). But the joy of running all those kilometres is worth it. I had started to train for a triathlon (the biking and running was no sweat) but I could only swim ten laps of the pool and then I was done.
I just started running again (I will be turning 67 in a few months); mind you not at the pace I once had. My very aged dog Paige slowed me down for a couple of years but now that she is in puppy heaven, I have been able to pick up my pace. My blood pressure is good (110 over 75). Had a nice run yesterday and I will be going out for a run today right after I finish typing this post. I find that running is the most effective form of exercise for me to keep my weight in check (as you know, I enjoy cooking and eating far too much to not exercise).
And You are right, heavy breathing is a BAD sign. Stop running and instead walk, bike or swim; find what works for you (for some that may be walking to the pub for an ale). Your body is a machine – Use it or Lose it. Stay healthy, Hugs, Krista.
- April 7, 2021 at 9:37 am #474880Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 20Replies: 2002Has thanked: 3888 timesBeen thanked: 7072 times
- April 7, 2021 at 10:40 am #474895
- April 7, 2021 at 9:05 am #474867Amanda BurtonBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: January 15, 2020Topics: 26Replies: 1261Has thanked: 8261 timesBeen thanked: 4920 times
Oh sweetie I am so so sorry I frightened you, but I just couldn’t get the words out to say hello, and the vodka tinged sweat was stinging my eyes so you were a bit of a blur.. Didn’t have the hearing aid on, but I was sure you said something about off. Anyway sorry I didn’t stop the old water works were about to burst, and the knees keeped going in the opposite direction to my feet. Never mind I try and break my personal best next time of 10yards.
- April 7, 2021 at 9:11 am #474872Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 54Replies: 1106Has thanked: 3849 timesBeen thanked: 5735 times
- April 8, 2021 at 2:26 pm #475304Amanda BurtonBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: January 15, 2020Topics: 26Replies: 1261Has thanked: 8261 timesBeen thanked: 4920 times
Well I am surprised you recognise my new peanut butter shaped bum, but at least it got your attention. No I was not drunk sweetie when I passed you, I had been sucking on my Salamol Easi-Breath inhaler like a baby on a dummy continuously as I ran. “Wow what trip” apparently I ended up in a car park trying to take off for Spain.
- April 7, 2021 at 8:38 am #474858
- April 7, 2021 at 7:05 am #474825Eva KellyDuchessRegistered On: March 1, 2021Topics: 7Replies: 209Has thanked: 2116 timesBeen thanked: 971 times
- April 7, 2021 at 6:57 am #474821Rozalyne RichardsLadyRegistered On: March 10, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 536Has thanked: 975 timesBeen thanked: 1814 times
Hi Grace i start breathing heavy when i have to walk up and down the stairs or when i have to bend over to tie my boot laces so i don’t do any running or jogging if i can help it, i even got out of breath a few weeks ago just pumping my tyres up on my bike x lol x
Hugs from your out of breath Roz xxxxx
- April 7, 2021 at 8:37 am #474857Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 54Replies: 1106Has thanked: 3849 timesBeen thanked: 5735 times
gosh Roz…. that’s not good, you are supposed to get your exercise on the bike…not sorting the tyres!!!…better still…get a tandem and let the person on the front do all the work….just coast on the back… haha
- April 7, 2021 at 11:31 am #474899Rozalyne RichardsLadyRegistered On: March 10, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 536Has thanked: 975 timesBeen thanked: 1814 times
That wouldn’t be much good i wouldn’t get much exercise on a tandem, I’m trying to get fitter I’m doing exercises every night with the help of utube, it’s gentle exercise for the OAP’S I’m sure if someone was watching through the window they would think i was nuts or something,
I was puffed out just writing this message xxxxx
Hugs Roz xxxxx
- April 7, 2021 at 8:33 am #474856
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.