• Creator
    Topic
    stephanie plumb
    Participant
    Registered On: November 17, 2018
    Topics: 187
    Replies: 2476

Ooooops!  –  did I mean holey hosiery.  Well, yes I did.  But the other word applies also to some.

Most of us like or even love our hosiery don’t we?  It is an intrinsic part of dressing as a woman. More so when dressing for a special occasion or for ahem!  – the bedroom.  But also in everyday life. And for some hosiery is  a big part of the reason for their dressing. Hosiery is their Holy Grail.

During the warmer months I prefer to go bare legged, but for about 8 months of the year I wear hold-ups both at home and when I am out walking our dog Twopoos (also known as 2poos.)  Outside I wear 40 denier black ones. This is because they are more situation appropriate in autumn and winter, and also because from a distance they look like lycra leggings.  And they last a lot longer than 15 d’s do!

Indoors it’s 15 denier ones, either hold-ups or sometimes stockings for when ……  But never tights. Saggy crutches! – I cannot abide them.

So, hosiery is a necessary accessory.

But it is also an ongoing cost, because it is fragile and does not last very long.  It is a consumable item.  This cost varies depending on how much a girl likes to spend on it and how deep her purse is.   But I guess that over a year this cost must run into hundreds of pounds or dollars, even for those of us, like me, who only buy inexpensive ones.

How long does a pair last?  That depends on a lot of things. But I bet we have all experienced the following scenario:-

You are pulling on your new 10 denier Italian stockings.  These were quite expensive because you decided to treat yourself and splash out for a change, and they had marvellous reviews on Amazon. They are soft and luxurious and you can’t wait to experience them against your newly shaved legs. When –  “Oh bugger!  I should have filed off that bloody rough finger nail!  That’s a tenner wasted!”

I reckon a pair of 40D’s is good for about 6 wears before my toes poke through.    At £5 a pair that is just under a £1 per wear, less if I wait until they are totally trashed, and there is not one strand left to anchor between my toes. You know what I mean..

A girl can buy a really good pair of hold-ups for £4.99 at a super drugstore, which are found on any high-street or mall, here in the UK.   The silicon-band bit is only about two inches deep and is black and merges in well with the body of the things. So I can wear quite short skirts with them, and still protect my modesty!  And great for airflow.

Now, at last, we come to the real reason for this incoherent ramble about hosiery. 

Now, we all like to open a new pack don’t we.

They are soft and clean and fresh. With trembling fingers we draw them out, bathing in the pleasure chemicals our brain has released in anticipation.

Unlike that cesspool of bacteria you have been wearing for the last few days!

You know, the ones that shed a fine white dust when you pull them off.   Where on earth does that come from you wonder?   Well it’s from YOU.  At the cellular level your fine hosiery is like a rasp or made of sandpaper, and is continuously abrading the skin of your legs as you move around, showering dead skin cells in their millions, like fish food, that lodges between the fibres of your tights.  Which have been pressed up against your most intimate and smelly areas, not least of all your feet!   Food for hungry germs!

That’s one reason I prefer hold-ups – they are a bit more hygienic!  Less of a cesspool.

Be honest. How often do you wash yours?  Every day? Once a week?  OMG! never? (possibly because they don’t last that long.)

Do you continue to wear them long after your toes have gone through them ( which it is possible to do if  you are wearing enclosed pumps or boots), or they have been laddered (at home no one can see them), or the lace top is pulling away?    Just a small hole in one?  If one is ruined, is the pair ruined, or do you keep the good one as a spare?

Women’s hygiene sites reckon you need to have at least four pairs in circulation, with at least one, or two, in the wash, one you are wearing, and one on standby for when you snag them because you haven’t filed your nails.  Or, in my case, which happens too often, when a f****** bramble reaches out and grabs them.

Hosiery is an expensive ongoing cost. I have read that if you immerse a new pair in water, then put them, still wet, in the freezer for a day, it strengthens the fibres, and they should last longer.  I don’t know, I haven’t tried it.

Have you?

Stephanie P xx

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Celeste Starre
      Lady
      Registered On: June 26, 2018
      Topics: 43
      Replies: 1254

Always wear gloves when putting on stockings. Once I learned that I get at least 50-100 wearings (including to bed) out of my stockings.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Anonymous
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 0

Hi!! I hate the toe poke that comes eventually.. I course I need to stay on top of My Nails!! When I open  them for the first time.. They are going on!! Can’t resist. But I love sleeping in them as well, all kinds, Mainly when there get worn out.. Just Love the feel .. I also will cut the feet out at the ankle, especially is that is the only bad area and they are still wearable.. Also something I learned and used till I got forms was, you can cut the feet out of a bad pair make little bags (or Big) and fill them with rice to make up you’re own forms.. They are Fairly comfortable & Nice and bouncy too!!  Wonderous Day to You All!! Jill

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Sylvia
      Lady
      Registered On: October 10, 2021
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 279

Dear Stephanie ,

First of all , what a great post !

Just like Barb I already knew I was staying here , but I just dropped out the anchor , disabled the mechanism , so I can’t leave here anymore , even if I wanted to !

Pantyhose was the first Female garment I ever wore as a Child.

It was and still is my holy grail of Crossdressing.

Up until a few weeks ago , I always bought the “cheaper” pantyhose of the spectrum.

Now I own about 9 pair of the more expensive Italian ones there are in the 15D and 20D range.

I already know that they look better and even feel better than the “cheaper” ones !

I haven’t had them long enough to know if they last longer than the “cheaper” one’s but they sure feel like they are made from a more expensive material ( to be expected considering the price ! ) so I would think them to last a little longer , more so with the 20D than the 15D.

( I have already worn one pair of the 20D a few times and they are still perfect ).

As for the “cheaper” ones I always bought , how long they will last , really depends on the pair.

Sometimes you are lucky with that , and sometimes they rip after you wear them for the first time , or even when you are putting them on ! ( I am SO angry when that happens…. ).

I could talk about this all day , but these are my initial thoughts on the subject so far.

Love Sylvia ,

P.S. : thanks again for the great topic !

Grace Scarlett
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: February 16, 2021
      Topics: 162
      Replies: 3834

Thanks Steph….

Gosh, I got halfway down the post….and had to put my KitKat down when I reached the cellular level ….and I certainly don’t own any smelly bits !!!!!

I wash my hosiery after every outing….no dust storm or tumble weeds when grace strips off.

It can be expensive and it is very easily damaged, there always something determined to snag you.

Frozen stiff hosiery….. straight from the freezer!!!….what an idea..but how do you bend your legs to walk 😂😂.

Smiles, grace xxx

7 users thanked author for this post.
      Elizabeth
      Lady
      Registered On: October 7, 2021
      Topics: 24
      Replies: 319

I can’t get holdups to stay up.
      Think I’ll start wearing 70 denier tights.
      Liz

4 users thanked author for this post.
        Lynda Jones
        Lady
        Registered On: September 1, 2021
        Topics: 0
        Replies: 44

Hello Ladies, As for holdups sliding down you can cure that problem with (Jobst Body Adhesive It Stays Glue), works awesome, and will last all day.
        Lynda

Michelle McQueen
        Lady
        Registered On: June 14, 2021
        Topics: 16
        Replies: 722

Hi Elizabeth.

I’ve had the sliding down hold ups before and they seem to do that after the first wearing. I now use a garter belt with hold ups. It looks sexy but you have to have a garter belt that has large enough clips to hold the thick lacy silicone backed tops of hold ups. No more sliding down to wrinkles.

4 users thanked author for this post.
          stephanie plumb
          Baroness - Annual
          Registered On: November 17, 2018
          Topics: 187
          Replies: 2476

No need for all that faff!

Sock glue is the answer.  A smear round the silicon bands or the leg, and they will stay fixed in place all day.  Available on Amazon.

Michelle McQueen
            Lady
            Registered On: June 14, 2021
            Topics: 16
            Replies: 722

Hi Stephanie.

Thanks for the tip about sock glue. I’ve never heard of it before but will see about it. I like the addition of a sexy garter belt but the glue would work with some outfits. Thanks.

Elizabeth
          Lady
          Registered On: October 7, 2021
          Topics: 24
          Replies: 319

Thanks for that tip. Michelle.
          Liz

Barb Wire
      Duchess - Annual
      Registered On: September 16, 2021
      Topics: 12
      Replies: 520

Good God! I’ve landed on the right planet!

“Alright, folks! Unpack the ship! We’re staying!”

This was fun, Ms Plumb!

I try and wash every new pair first before putting them on. Oftentimes if it’s a new pair I’ve never tried before I’ll skip the initial wash (it’s just so exciting!). Once dry, I will stretch them first before putting them on. They seem to go on more easily than if I don’t stretch them first. No runs or anything yet. I also use hosiery gloves.

Only ONE wearing, then into the wash! Ick! I hand wash all my nylons and then gently squeeze them before they go on the drying rack. Sometimes I’ll put my 80D+ tights (trousers as some call them – LOL!) into the washing machine if I’m feeling lazy. Hey, it’s a lot of work! And, of course, I wash them inside-out.

I also don’t go “cheap” with my hosiery. Mostly Italian brands and the occasional Austrian one too.

👖 🌍 Barb

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account