• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

How on earth did some of us older girls manage to find information about crossdressing before the internet? Oe of the few sources of information I could find aa a teenager was in psychology books that I came across in the library of my college.Another source was newspaper articles about transwomen or tranvestites in British newspapers.The downmarket British tabloids such as The News Of The World and Sunday papers often carried articles.I loved hearing about young transexuals just a few years younger than me.I didn’t understand dysphoria then.Unfortunately,I just felt envy that boys could become girls and wear the lovely clothes I desired to wear.

Just prior to the internet I used to look in the back pages of The Sunday Mirror for adverts for Crossdressing Services such as the Transformation Shops.There were also recorded information lines.I wasn’t interested in the sex chatlines for xdressers I hasten to add.I did ring one where a GG gave valuable advice on how to crossdress.

Nowadays the internet is a valuable tool for cd and transinformation.Youtube is pzrticularly good in this respect.

My biggest regret as teeneager was not been honest with myself, my parents, and the psychologist to which I was taken after being outed.  I was naive and scared, and without the resources available today.  I told everyone involved what I thought they wanted to hear.  As a result, I buried my feelings for 20 years.  They were never gone, but I alao never allowed them to surface.

Today,  I often wonder how my experience would have been different had I been honest.

MacKenzie Alexandra

Anonymous

Scary wasn’t it MacKenzie, you couldn’t even be honest with the doctors. I tried to talk to my family doctor when I was 17 and he called and told my mother that I needed mental help. So much for confidentiality.

Anonymous

For me the internet has eliminated the feeling of being alone. So long ago, being so young, drawn to these desires and having no idea why. Thinking that what you were doing was so abnormal and wrong. Marching through life trying to make sense of why you felt this need to continually do something that, for all intents and purposes, was contrary to the way everyone else was apparently living.
      Now the internet allows us to share, support, encourage and confirm the fact that we are not alone. HUGS Mina.

I remember an HBO special in the 80’s about cross dressing, around the time Tootsie came out. I was young but it got me thinking about dressing then. Then the day time talk shows had cross dressing episodes.

We did tried things if they worked great. Tucking you learn to do yourself. A girdle hid a lot of man parts. Makeup was trying to not look like a clown. Some brands worked better than others. Until now I have never had a CD support group

K Swim
      Lady

Had it not been for the online world, I would be stressing myself to find the courage to buy a one piece swimsuit in stores….meaning that I definitely would have been caught a long time ago.

For so many souls, we/they simply didn’t manage! Spending their lives lonely and hidden in their rooms, or suffered depression and anxiety from trying to push down feelings within themselves of who they really had every right to express.

Would many of us be as far along as we are without this site and the wonderful ladies we’ve met here? Myself…not by a longshot.

Thank you http://www.com

I owe where I am today to the internet. Being able to read other people experiences, and actually chat to them helped me understand who I was, and the same people were able to guide and advise me at every step of my journey where I needed it.

As Olivia says we didn’t manage, there were support organisations about, there were events for crossdressers, but how on earth anyone found out about them I have no idea. Had the internet been about when I was a teenager I have no doubt my life would have been very different, as it was I spent many years in denial, hiding my feelings and desires.  The strange thing is there was a support organisation for young crossdressers in East London where I grew up, but I only found out about it many years later and I also discovered that events were held only five minutes from where we lived, but again I only found that out later as well, so near and yet so far! I don’t remember much in the newspapers in those days, what there was tended to be very sensationalist and tended to portray crossdressing in a very poor light, so it is hardly surprising I kept it very well hidden! On the other hand a very popular entertainer of the day was Dany La Rue, for those younger girls, she was a drag queen, although in those days always referred to as a female impersonator!

Anonymous

Sadly, I didn’t.

I hid it away as something weird and shameful because I didn’t know of anyone at all who felt like me, and was genuinely afraid for my life if I tried.

CDs were object of ridicule, appearing only in comedy routines, or comedy shows, like Dame Edna Everage.

Get laughed at and beaten up?

No thanks!

Thank goodness for the internet and THIS site.

Love Laura

Anonymous

About the only resources I could find were a few psychology books at the library which basically said I was a sick pervert and needed electroshock therapy and heavy drugs. Great, as if I didn’t feel bad enough about myself, now it’s confirmed I’m mentally ill. Thankfully I had my sister and mother I could talk to.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?