- I prefer to use a laptop/ PC, but will use another of my devices if necessary
- I prefer to use a smartphone, but will use another of my devices if necessary
- I prefer to use a tablet, but will use another of my devices if necessary
- I have no option and use a laptop / PC
- I have no option and use a tablet
- I have no option and use a smartphone
- I don't have my own internet access and borrow / use someone else's device
- Other e.g. abacus, quantum computer
- September 24, 2021 at 12:27 am #547471MartiParticipantRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 41Replies: 653Has thanked: 2757 timesBeen thanked: 2737 times
I’ve just bought an Android tablet. My two ancient laptops are effectively chained to their chargers and close to death I suspect. It’s early days I know, but I find using the tablet is so fiddly compared to laptop with a keyboard and acres of screen space.
So fiddly, that when I tried to create a poll on this subject (using my tablet), I failed. And now I’ve cranked up a laptop to try again.
So my poll is simply, how do you access the internet?
- September 26, 2021 at 6:58 pm #548745ChloeCDuchessRegistered On: November 5, 2019Topics: 11Replies: 415Has thanked: 1181 timesBeen thanked: 1832 times
It all depends on where I am and how much time I have available. I have a desktop, a very portable small laptop, and a phone.
If I’m home and have time, I have cdh as one of my tabs. If I’m away from home for an extended time, I have my laptop (I had a keyboard/tablet combo, but the battery was a max 3 hours, which just isn’t enough, and it would run down even if plugged in, couldn’t charge fast enough, my laptop can go for up to 12 hours and it’s only 11″, so very portable), and when I’m just gone from home for brief periods or away from my desk, it’s a second level selection on my phone.
I could have icons to click on directly, but others sometimes have access to all the above – or are looking over my shoulder, and it’s nobody’s business but mine where I hang out, as long as I meet or exceed all of my other obligations.
- September 25, 2021 at 11:37 am #548162Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 137Replies: 3315Has thanked: 12363 timesBeen thanked: 19296 times
Tried a Mac, but it leaked. then an apple but it was rotten…yes , really!!..hate taking tablets, are PC’ s politically correct ??? and don’t like anything in my lap…also, the abacus just didn’t add up…..so it’s a Smartphone…
which is a bit of a contradiction in terms with this user….but I get by, just!!!
grace alt delete x
- September 25, 2021 at 1:00 pm #548179MartiBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 41Replies: 653Has thanked: 2757 timesBeen thanked: 2737 times
I’m not sure about that, Grace, I’ve come to the conclusion that the reason it’s called a smartphone is that you need to have the smarts to use it properly. I fail on that count 😉
1 user thanked author for this post.
- September 25, 2021 at 2:13 am #548027Emily AltDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: August 24, 2019Topics: 12Replies: 609Has thanked: 476 timesBeen thanked: 2806 times
- September 24, 2021 at 10:37 pm #547992
- September 24, 2021 at 10:02 pm #547985PrincessByDawnDuchessRegistered On: April 4, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 56Has thanked: 192 timesBeen thanked: 167 times
My primary device for all net-surfing has become my smartphone. It’s quick and is personal. Almost all of the services that i use have a dedicated app or a part of a super-app ecosystem.
Most of my laptop settings are controlled by my organization (office), and there are a myriad number of security tools probably recording and reporting every activity to the IT Security team. So, i don’t use it for anything which requires a bit of privacy.
The second device that i use is for CDH is probably my tablet because it gives provides a better screen real-estate. However typing on a tablet screen is horrible, so use a Bluetooth keyboard where the tablet can be docked.
That said, i would have loved if CDH had its own Android / iOS app.
- September 24, 2021 at 8:10 pm #547976LuluDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 24Replies: 2553Has thanked: 5362 timesBeen thanked: 9798 times
I could use my phone to access CDH and read the forums; but to actually use the site and respond, it’s my desktop PC only. I make enough typo errors with a real keyboard. The virtual keyboard on my phone is impossible for me.
- September 24, 2021 at 3:26 pm #547900
- September 24, 2021 at 3:22 pm #547898
- September 24, 2021 at 8:52 am #547665Michelle McQueenLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 13Replies: 521Has thanked: 2139 timesBeen thanked: 2545 times
Hi Marti. I have other options but prefer my laptop for all the reasons most prefer… large screen and an easy keyboard that I’ve used so much I’ve worn the letters off some of the keys. I need a new laptop but I’m so used to this one I won’t give it up until it simply dies. Can’t wait until 3-D computing comes available.
- September 24, 2021 at 8:41 am #547663Wendy SwiftLadyRegistered On: May 11, 2020Topics: 7Replies: 659Has thanked: 605 timesBeen thanked: 2855 times
Being in the field, I’ve always used a PC to connect to the internet. Now that I am older, anything smaller than a 28 inch monitor I find it tough to see, especially on a screen the size of a phone and a tablet. Plus I’m used to typing with a keyboard and using a mouse to click around.
Plus being a gamer, I need the horsies a PC offers.
- September 24, 2021 at 12:50 am #547479LisaTLadyRegistered On: January 31, 2021Topics: 104Replies: 1386Has thanked: 1428 timesBeen thanked: 6967 times
I generally use my I pad. Phones are far too fiddly for my fat fingers and my Mac is used if I need long periods of time to work on something. The iPad is convenient. It travels in my handbag and coupled with my smart phone can connect to the net almost anywhere.
- September 24, 2021 at 1:28 am #547491Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 41Replies: 653Has thanked: 2757 timesBeen thanked: 2737 times
I really need to get a bit more with it.
Without a doubt laptops are a pain if you want to travel light. I always packed my old defunct ipad when I went off travelling, but of course without a data plan, as is the case with my new tablet. I must work out how I set up my smartphone to couple with with the tablet.
- September 24, 2021 at 2:07 am #547494LisaTLadyRegistered On: January 31, 2021Topics: 104Replies: 1386Has thanked: 1428 timesBeen thanked: 6967 times
- September 24, 2021 at 2:11 am #547496Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 41Replies: 653Has thanked: 2757 timesBeen thanked: 2737 times
– should be easy then! Says the airhead that who recently and unknowingly set my phone to ‘do not disturb’ for three days before I realised 😉
- September 24, 2021 at 2:13 am #547497LisaTLadyRegistered On: January 31, 2021Topics: 104Replies: 1386Has thanked: 1428 timesBeen thanked: 6967 times
- September 24, 2021 at 2:17 am #547498
- September 24, 2021 at 12:50 am #547478Andi DuBoisLadyRegistered On: January 7, 2021Topics: 6Replies: 123Has thanked: 164 timesBeen thanked: 572 times
As all of the things related to my dressing are secret from my SO, the browsing of CDH falls under that category too.
I have a second browser installed on my desktop PC that is set not to cache data nor to record my browsing history. It probably isn’t as foolproof as it could be but it has worked so far.
- September 26, 2021 at 8:40 pm #548791LuluDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 24Replies: 2553Has thanked: 5362 timesBeen thanked: 9798 times
If you’re on a desktop, and really need to stay secret, use Oracle Virtualbox to install a virtual OS. You can use it for anything, and even delete it if necessary, without touching your primary system. I don’t need to hide anything, but I use it to run Windows 7 inside my main Linux box.
- September 24, 2021 at 1:20 am #547489Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 41Replies: 653Has thanked: 2757 timesBeen thanked: 2737 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.