• This topic has 53 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 27 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Just curious poll on what everyone think about how many genders are there

In many ways I think each of us has our own unique gender.  Gender is situational, multi- dimensional and transitory.

Emily Alt
        Managing Ambassador

Well said Jennifer.

Anonymous

scientifically there are some born with both sexual organs which according to Dr’s are labeled  intersex

Hi Donna, I selected  more than 7. I once heard there are more than 27 different genders. I’m friends with another gal from the site. We’re both 24/7 trans gals not on hormones yet. She discribes herself as gender fluid, I say I’m transgender. If two people so similar used different phases i hate to think how many other phrases and genders people use.

Love Trisha

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I didn’t vote.

I’m doubtful there’s a definitive answer here.  What was considered “fact” 20 years ago is no longer true.  There’s plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the assumption the answer is highly subjective.

My reality today differs radically from my past, and will differ radically in the future.  All I know is I’m going in the right direction.  I could care less how I’m “classified” by scientists.

Emily

Sorry for the length but this gets a pretty complete biological answer to gender.

from Twitter  @RebeccaRHelm

Friendly neighborhood biologist here.  I see a lot of people are talking about biological sexes and gender right now.  Lots of folks make biological sex seem really simple.  Well, since it’s so simple, let’s find the biological roots shall we?  Let’s talk about sex.

If you know biology you will probably say that biological sex is caused by chromosomes, XX for female, XY for male.  This is chromosomal sex, but is it biological sex?  Turns out there is only one gene on the Y chromosome that really matters to sex.  Its called the SRY gene.  During human embryonic development the SRY protein turns on male associated genes.  Having an SRY gene makes you  “genetically male”.  But is this biological sex”?

Sometimes that SRY gene pops off the Y chromosome and over to an X chromosome.  Surprise!  So now you’ve got an X with an SRY and a Y without an SRY.  What does this mean?  A Y with no SRY means physically you’re female, chromosomally you’re male (XY) and genetically you’re female (no SRY).  An X with an SRY means you’re physically male, chromosomally female (XX) and genetically male (SRY).  But biological sex is simple! 

Sex related genes ultimately turn on hormones in specific areas on the body, and reception of those hormones by cells throughout the body.  Is this the root of “biological sex”?  “Hormonal male” means you produce normal levels of male associated hormones.  Except some percentage of females will have higher levels ‘male’ hormones than some percentage of males.  Ditto ditto ‘female hormones’.

If you’re developing, your body may not produce enough hormones for your genetic sex.  Leading you to be genetically male or female, chromosomally male or female, hormonally non-binary, and physically non-binary.  Well, except cells have something to say about this …

Maybe cells are the answer to biological sex?  Cells have the receptors that ”hear” the signal from sex hormones.  But sometimes those receptors don’t work.  Like a mobile phone that’s do not disturb.  Call and cell they will not answer.  

What does all this mean?

It means you may be genetically male or female, hormonally male/female/non-binary, with cells that may or may not hear the male/female/non-binary call, and all this leading to a body that can be male/non-binary/female.  Try out some combinations for your self  Notice how confusing it gets?  Can you point to what the absolute cause of biological sex is?  Is it fair to judge people by it?

Of course, you could try appealing to the numbers.  “Most people are either male of female” you say.  Except that as a biology professor I will tell you biological sex is complicated.  Before you discriminate against someone on the basis of biological sex & identity ask yourself: have you seen your chromosomes?  Do you know the genes of people you love?  The hormones of the people you work with?  The state of their cells?

Since the answer will obviously be no, please be kind, respect people’s right to tell you who they are, and remember that you don’t have all answers.  Again: biology is complicated.  Kindness and respect don’t have to be.

Anonymous

Interesting. Thankyou

Are we talking Klinefelters here? If so, I’d be interested to find out if there’s any evidence that people with KS are more likely to be CD or TG. Google isn’t helping!

Connie

Anonymous

Donna.

At the end of the day….who really cares????

Just be YOURSELF.

If you are here, I love you all, whatever / whoever you are.

Grace ❤️

Anonymous

Hi Grace you right be who want to be as for gender just a label what the world put on us all.

Once  I transition to a Woman want the world to label me as female no trans or whoever.  Suppose only way knowing is checking my chroms. hehe.

Nancy
      Lady

I’m not sure this is a question capable of being answered… nor that I even want to see an answer. Native Americans had Two Spirit people, and many other cultures historically had more than two genders. I’m ok with however anyone wants to identify or present. We don’t have to fit into nice neat boxes, even though society likes to put us in them.

Birel

Depends on what language you are using. English and most Romance languages have three. Russian, I believe, has two; animate and inanimate. I have heard that some Native American languages have five.

Araminta.

Anonymous

Would that be scientifically Stephanie said it best in the last paragraph of her comment.  Suppose mind over matter. in scientifically thought.

Olivia
      Lady

There are more than you can couny. I can’t even list them all, but some of them are cis, transgender, non binary, Bigender, Dual gender, gender fluid, gender queer, demigirl, demiboy ect. there are as many genders as there are people on the planet, and they all ar a wonderful spectrum.

Anonymous

if only counting sex of a person only 3 as for others way more then count

How Many Genders Are There? – Gender Identity List (womenshealthmag.com)

Pumped
      Lady

I went with two.

I am a bit “old school”. Now I believe there may be variations in our chromosomes that mix it up a bit, or perhaps some mental thing we might have going on, but if you have male parts, you are male, female parts you are female. But, like I said, there is some DNA or mental conditions that confuse things that I certainly can not explain.

And before anyone gets all crazy  with me, I believe I have something crossed up in my DNA or my mind. I fully identify as a male, but sure love to CD and never have liked the typical male pastimes. In my youth I spent more time with girls than boys and enjoyed the  company of girls more than the typical rough and tumble boys.

I feel I am male, with a bit something else going on.

Anonymous

That’s me too. I’m a hetero bloke, but I love looking like a girl. I prefer female company, hate team sports, didn’t “fit in” with my peers, hate laddish behaviour etc etc. I was raised by women, with a mostly absentee father (he worked abroad) and my step-mother didn’t like me very much. Did any of this lead to my CD? No idea what gender I am – I just lurk behind the “+” on the end of LBGTQ.

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack this thread. I’ll start a new post if anyone wants to discuss.

Connie

Krissy
          Lady

Please start a new post as this is so interesting and compelling xx

Anonymous

Will do – let me get my head together first – I find it quite hard to do this without obsessing about it.

Bear with me?

Connie

Krissy
            Lady

Ok hun no probs x

Dawn Wyvern
      Managing Ambassador

Hi all

the question may be confused with self identification where we chose a label as to what we see as our gender identification.

In a 2016 survey for a British education authority by the Children’s Commissioner, students were given 26 choices of gender identification and had a box for other as well – the results were very spread over the choices and there were several ‘others’ as well.

• Boy, Girl, Tomboy, Female, Male, Young Woman, Young Man, Trans-Girl, Trans-Boy, Gender Fluid, Agender, Androgynous, Bi-Gender, Non-Binary, Demi-Boy, Demi-Girl, Gender-queer, Gender Nonconforming, Tri-Gender, all Gender, In the middle of boy and girl, Intersex, Not sure, Rather not say, – and ‘Other’

The bottom line for me is that we are all unique and individuals, and should not to get hung up on labels and boxes but just be comfortable with who you are.

hugs

Dawn x

Anonymous

Thank you Dawn for the feedback. Just think still 3 sex genders rest of them as how each person feels.

Donna

Anonymous

I also didn’t vote. When I think about it, I can’t come up with an answer.

So in order to answer this, I think we first need to distinguish between “biological sex” and “gender”. Biologically, there are generally two distinct sexes: male and female (I’m aware of intersexed, Turner’s syndrome, etc, but those cases are statistically insignificant. The vast majority of the population is distinctly biologically male or female).

Gender, on the other hand, typically refers to the societal “norms” assigned to a particular sex within a particular society. Those “norms” differ from society to society and change from time to time. So, in modern day America it is considered “crossdressing” for me to wear a wig and a skirt, because those are “norms” we presently assign to women. However, in colonial America (and England at the time) wearing a wig was a sign of wealth and power reserved for men only. And in Scotland, wearing a kilt is a proud symbol of a man’s heritage. (I dare you to call Sir William Wallace a girl). So, the whole idea of gender is really quite artificial and arbitrary.

That said, I answered more than 10 because I believe that gender is a spectrum with a society’s “male norms” at one end, their “female norms” at the other, and an infinite number of points in between. There has always been a great degree of variation among individuals along that spectrum (such as “tomboys” or “crossdressers”). That is probably the most important distinction between gender and sex; and the conflation of the two is what leads to so much confusion and controversy.

At least, that’s how I see it.

Hugs,
      Elise

Anonymous

how see it too actually know 3 sex genders male female and intersex

Yes, this is exactly how I and the WHO see the difference – very well put!

Biological sex is the platform.

Gender is the set of attributes that describe the platform.

Every time someone says “Men are better than women at doing X”, there is an exception.

For example: “Men are stronger than women, physically.”

As a general rule, that is correct – but there are many women who are a lot stronger than I am, many competing in the Olympics, so it’s a generalisation, not something applicable to all.

Very much like the generalisation that women wear dresses.

Obviously, not every woman wears a dress.

There are still a very few cultures left, out of the many that existed before missionaries told them to cover up, who wander around without clothing.

Clothing is not a way to define biological sex – or even gender.

Certain clothes have become associated with or even (spookily!) assigned to the genders to differentiate between them, because of the precise problem that biological sex presents.

Some men look and behave in a feminine way, and vice versa.

Clothing became a way to regulate gender – a variable uniform.

Women recognise the tyranny of gender assigned clothing – it’s not fair for them to be forced to wear skirts, or those high-cut bikini pants in Volleyball.

There’s a very recent case of that in the Olympics – I believe the Norwegian team refused to wear those pants, which are super-revealing (and let the sand in!), and turned up in shorts, only to receive a fine for doing so!

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2021/07/its-not-just-volleyball-enforces-sexist-dress-code-women-s-clothing-still

Sutekina
      Lady

Two genders, but multiple expressions…scientifically. Might be a third gender if you separate intersex.

Most science on the subject shows that there are essentially 2 biological sexes – and this is important – biological sex is not the same as gender.

Biological sex is chromosomes (and this bit is fiddly and messy, like all chemistry, because it’s not actually as simple as XX and XY. I read an interesting article that demonstrates how the Y chromosome is on the decline – males are becoming more feminine! I’ll dig out the link).

Biological sex is also to do with the reproductive bits – and these can be confused at birth – some individuals are born with both, or bits of both – biological sex isn’t even as simple as male/female.

The whole idea of binary comes from social purity movements, which began in the early 1800s, and led to the criminalisation of homosexuality, eugenics and all sorts of unpleasant things, despite its noble intentions of quelling male violence against women, and agendas of equality for all.

Gender is a construction that we put on top of biological sex.

Boys like blue, girls like pink, boys play football, girls like to embroider – it’s behaviours and attributes.

To be fair, I hated football as a boy – too rough. My daughter isn’t very good at embroidery, but is a very keen rower, who has qualified for Henley Royal Regatta next weekend. My 4 year old son loves dressing up as Snow White, or fairies.

Hence gender is a spectrum, as varied as our fingerprints.

The WHO describes it pretty well:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/environmentalaccounts/articles/whatisthedifferencebetweensexandgender/2019-02-21#:~:text=The%20World%20Health%20Organisation%20regional,expression%2C%20and%20how%20they%20behave.

Anonymous

HI Laura that was the key take away for the question by science which is 2 actually look it up more there 3 tech.

Sorry, Donna honey – I don’t understand your reply!

Gender is how society sees you, so is not really scientific – it’s in the realm of social science, but that’s rather looser than the traditional sciences of physics, chemistry, biology, etc.

Genetic sex is what you are, and there’s demonstrably a choice of 2, with occasional deviations.

Gender has more to do with who you are, how you were brought up, and how you feel. Nature vs nurture.

Therefore, since people can’t be pigeon-holed as far as their feelings go, gender is best seen as a spectrum in my opinion.

Love Laura

Anonymous

What meant is as for biological according many there is 2 but also another one third one also. intersex. As for genders possiblity endless.

Donna

Thank you, Donna – I understand now 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Anonymous

Welcome Laura sometimes hard to explain but get there hehe.

Anonymous

Laura, when you find the link about the declining “Y” chromosome would you please send it to me.
        I am very interested in the science of gender dysphoria. There really isn’t much that isn’t tinged by the political climate.

Thanks, Jillian

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

My very first experience with gender was at a young age when I learned language.  German has 3 genders that way – male, female, and neutral/neuter(?)  ( Der, Die, Das ).  Even before I really knew what gender was all about, I realized there were more than two.  Didn’t understand it back then, but glad I was exposed to the concept of more than two genders.

Sad thing is I think the more specific we (rightly) try to become with the labels we create, the more we get lost in all the jargon.

Without saying how I voted, I just wanted to say two things.
      First, this can be a very divisive, volatile subject. So it takes courage to even bring it up.
      Second, based on the responses I’ve read, the CDH community seems to be mature enough discuss it without arguing or name-calling. And that, ladies, is something that is sadly missing in the real world around us.
      So thank you all for your voices.

Here’s the breakdown from my earlier post.

It means you may be genetically male or female, hormonally male/female/non-binary, with cells that may or may not hear the male/female/non-binary call, and all this leading to a body that can be male/non-binary/female.
      2x3x3x3=54 genders

Anonymous

Just curious question according to this article from WebMD  think they should or shouldnt

Sex should be removed as a legal designation on the public part of birth certificates, the American Medical Association (AMA) said Monday. https://wb.md/3i41qIY

ChloeC
      Duchess

So, I doubt that this is the absolute latest, but looking up LGBTQIA+ (which of course is beyond M and F) , at least one of the ‘definitions’ I’ve seen,  tends to mix both gender and sex, and some of those terms have more than 1 meaning/word associated with them.

The real question is, is there an all inclusive definition for gender or sex, that everyone can agree on, and can be used to continue discussions.  There was, once, back in the 1800’s when certain definitions were introduced specifically defining only M and F which then demonized  behaviors that didn’t conform – with the supposedly altruistic goal of protecting women. We’re still feeling the long term mostly negative effects of that.

So, I personally don’t believe there is, which only contributes to misunderstandings, disagreements, and sometimes violence.

If we can’t come to a common definition of something, any further discussion with the idea of having a meeting of the minds or moving forward is often fruitless.

So, i teach sociology at a university and this is a discussion I have with students about once a year. I could probably right a book on it but the start of my answer is, “it depends on what you mean by gender.”

I think that despite all the contraversy over this, most people could find some common ground if they ever took the time to be sure they were actually talking about the same thing.

Anonymous

Well said, Sarah. It is that distinction between sex and gender which causes the arguments. Sex is what’s between your legs, and there are three possibilities: male, female and intersex. Gender is what’s between your ears, and since that’s subjective, there is no definitive answer.I can, and do disagree with many of the answers, I can’t say that any of them are wrong. I’m a girl; you may define me as you wish.

Hugs,
        Bettylou

Anonymous

Suppose the real question was should have said how many sexes there are. Which is only 3. As for genders many. Oh in November will not have anything between the legs will have a vagina. So I will be called a woman.

Donna

Anonymous

I am not a scientist and I do not play one on TV. So all the words that follow are opinion, my opinion. Now I try to be intelligent and informed when I form opinions and I try to stay open to new science on any subject.

There are 2 biological sexes, male and female. If you consider gender to be the traits or characteristics or behaviors or attributes of biological sex, well, a sliding scale. Probably a social construct.

We are a duality of male and female, yin/yang, black/white, good/evil a
      little bit boy, a little bit girl, a little bit country, a little bit rock & roll. Where we are on that graph changes over time, even day to day.

There’s a gender quiz that pops up here from time to time, when I took that quiz the results were that I was 83% female, 31% male.

That’s how I prefer to look at this, we are both genders at the same time.

Having said all this, I hope that you’ve read this far, I am a big believer of and an advocate for the idea of “what’s it to me?” We should all be allowed to live our lives the way we want to. If Caitlin Jenner wants to live as a woman, go for it. If Elliot Page wants to live life as a man, be my guest. (Although I can not for the life of me see why anyone would choose to be a man.)

I’m dysphoric, if dressing as Jillian eases the discomfort of my dysphoria, leave me be. What’s it to YOU? (There are, however, people in my life that are affected, so they must be considered).

So, in my not so humble opinion, there are not a myriad of genders but there are infinite points along the line between male and female.

Just my opinions
      Jillian

Anonymous
      Lady

Interesting discussion. Can I just say I am what I am?

Anonymous

Hi Ladies , i voted 7 or more . To say there are only 2 , male , female is like turning your back on people like us . Its like saying we don’t exist , that scientifically our existence is just a fetish , something we can just step away from at any time . We know we cannot , its impossible , we’ve all tried and always return to being who we really are , don’t we ? People only see the our physical part , they don’t see what goes on inside our minds , how we really feel , its invisible except to those we tell and try to explain it to . I’ve tried to explain this to a cis gender man and i think it confused him more , i mean i really am not sure myself how i ended up Leslie Anne , but i do know my gender is trans female now, it took a while but i finally quit fighting it and am now at ease . Please ladies don’t try to or feel you have to explain to everyone , just enjoy being that special person , i hope someone loves you . XOXO , Leslie

Just what do you mean when you say “gender”?  Most people mistakenly think the gender and sex are synonyms.  Sex can be scientifically determined.  When a baby is born, doctors look at the genitalia and pronounce boy or girl.  Most often they are right.  Occasionally the baby turns our to be intersexual.

Also, in most cases, the baby’s gender is masculine when the genitalia indicate boy and feminine when they  indicate girl.  However, sex and gender are not synonyms.  Sex is what’s between your legs; gender is what’s between your ears.

Those who maintain there are only two sexes are about ninety percent correct.  But those who also maintain there are only two genders suffer from an ignorant world view.  Since gender is defined by how we view ourselves internally and not by physical characteristics, there an infinite number of genders.

Granted, in about 80 percent of the time masculine and male go together and feminine and female likewise.  But for the other 20 percent masculine/feminine is a sliding scale.  And in truth, no one resides at either extreme end of that scale.

Carl Jung (look him up http://jungpage.org/learn/articles/analytical-psychology/147-jung-and-gender-masculine-and-feminine-revisited) said, “There is something masculine about every woman and something feminine about every man.”  So even in people who feel their gender matches their sex, don’t really meet the specs at the end of the scale, but fall some small distance from that end.

Anonymous

Science proves only 2 sex genders As for the spectrum many  Just got done doing bottom surgery so consider my sex bits consider myself a woman now. Knowing internals are male.  though so as public view consider trans.

Donna

Scientifically…. There are two genders, male and female. Where sex is defined by genitalia, genders tends to be decided on mental state, and to some degree, genetics.
      So whilst there are two genders, unlike penis or vagina determines sex, gender isn’t so easy. You can be one or the other, but like a grey scale with black at one end, and white at the other, there are an unlimited number of “shades” between the two.
      I’m male…. I don’t identify as male…. I am male….. But, I’m not as “manly as many. I don’t play/watch sports, I don’t drive a fancy car, I don’t drink (much)…. I don’t do a lot of things many of my friends do. I also like to dress in female clothing. So whilst I am male, there is obviously some shift to the female end of the scale.
      My wife is female. She drives a Jag. Has a high flying “man’s world” job. She very rarely wears dresses…. She’s female, but there is a definite shift to the male side of the scale. No one is 100% male or female.
      How many genders is an impossible question. It’s like asking how many shades of grey there are.

Cerys.

XX, XY, XXY, XXX, XYY, YYY, other permutations of the trisomies are out there as well, all include some unpleasant genetic developemental issues…or not.

Basic genders are 2. Most of the trisomy types present as one of the 1st 2 pair types.

Anonymous

Thank you Steph how I feel about it at a scientifically opinion. of being 2

The law treats “sex” and “gender” as interchangeable, but the World Health Organisation does not.

I think I’d rather get a medical opinion from a medical body than a legal one.

I wouldn’t go to a policeman to get a prescription…

🤣

Anonymous

Hi Samantha

Anonymous

So think should leave the person sex off a birth cert. Or think should be marked

Anonymous

Of course matters when it comes to medical difference in the body of male or female and yes many genders as for sex only 3 possible m f and intersex on rare events.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?