Viewing 33 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi ladies!

I have a theory that among those of us who crossdress, a larger percentge of us are musicians than the percentage of musicians among the rest of the population. A general statistic I found stated that 13% of the population consider themselves to be musicians (both professional and amateur), but my theory is that musicians are more creative in many ways than the general public, so there might be more crossdressers among them.

I know it’s true for me. I’ve been a musician (amateur) for most of my life, and I’ve met lots of other crossdressers and other transgender people who are also musicians. My main instrument is bass guitar these days (both electric and some doghouse, but I’m not that good on upright) and I’ve got several different ones to use for different types of music (4-string, 5-string, fretted, fretless). I also play most of the brass instruments. I picked up guitar decades ago, but I’m mostly a finger picker or rhythm player. Then some drums, banjo, and a few other assorted instruments. I also sing, both lead and harmony (but I really think I’m better at harmony).The styles of music I enjoy are literally everything, from classical, conjunto, jazz, rock, rap (the earlier stuff), show tunes, musicals, swing, big band, country (both classic and newer), Latin, African, many other geo-centric musical styles, military marches, Baroque, etc., etc., etc. and even a few pop tunes. My perspective on music is that the more I know, regardless of musical style, the better all of my music will be, because music crosses boundaries and styles merge (did you know that Conjunto is based on German pola?). If you listen closely you’ll hear lots of classical music references in rock music (listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer and you’ll see what I mean).

For me, I define a musician as anyone who has knowledge of music and plays an instrument or sings.

So of course, that got me to wondering…

In addition to being a crossdresser or transgender, are you also a musician?

Hugs,

Holly

I am, I have played most of my life. Been in many bands, most fun was a swing band.

ChloeC
      Duchess

Just an amateur. I can plunk out tunes on our piano occasionally and I took a class as well as own a mountain dulcimer. My son played the sax in school bands and one of my daughters played the clarinet, besides winning several H.S. state awards for her piano playing…then gave it up entirely.

Hugs, ChloeC

Anonymous

Chloe, I love the sound of both the mountain and the hammer dulcimer! Do you play Appalachian or other folk tunes on it?

Hugs,

Holly

ChloeC
          Duchess

Hi Holly. It was the movie Songcatcher and the song Barbara Allen that gave me the encouragement to take it up. A friend came over recently who is more accomplished and played a little on it and was impressed a little with the sound of my simple mt. dulcimer.

Elaine
      Duchess

Just an amateur. Took up music in retirement to keep my mind active.  Play mandolin, ukulele, banjo, and 4-string guitar, and sing. Country music is my favorite.

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

Holly, as an ex amateur, I had to choose other.  It all started in high school, of course – ‘Hey dudes, lets get a band together’.  That sort of thing, haha.

Plucking those bass guitar strings with my long fingers a la John Entwistle, or trying to 😄.   Its been many many years since i picked one up though.

Stevie

Yes I’ve been a professional muso all my working life, also art and sculptures on a more amateur basis although I have sold lots. Definitely cd I think comes with the territory as one has to tap into one’s emotions to be an effective musician or artist which aligns very much with being a cd imo. Im a very emotional girl.

I’ve been playing guitar since the 1970’s, mostly self-taught but I had a few really good taechers here in Chico, CA. I have my electrics lined up right now, love to make a bit of joyful noise. I think if I had it to do over, I would have hooked up with a crossdressing community in my 20’s, and I would have played rhythm guitar in a tight rock/blues band, or been a rhythm player in a real tight soul/r&b band, just standing in the back locked into the rhythm and disappearing into the music.

Anonymous

I can’t play a lick. And can barely snap my fingers or clap my hands along with a rhythm.

I have been complimented on my voice at church, though. When an older parishioner was telling someone else I would be helping set up before mass, the other guy asked who I was and the older gentleman said, “You know, the good singer.” 😊

Revel
      Baroness

Yes. My Daddy taught me how to play a button accordion when I was little. I can play an Italian button accordion that my Daddy bought in Rome, Italy many years ago, and a German HOHNER button accordion. I can also play the harmonica, didgeridoo, and an antique pump organ.

Rev

Yes. Considered a pianist/composer but don’t read notes. Not in the professional musician sector, however, was a featured artist at various events for radio stations in my town when I was younger. Also played on 70 commercial radio stations, again, many many moons ago. Guitar (in church groups), violin (for just fun and learning something new), and drums (heavy metal rock band in HS). Piano and guitar I keep current, the others not so much.

I’m a very amateur musician – just started taking guitar lessons last year.  It’s something I did in my youth and teenage years, self taught, but didn’t stick with it.  My wife suggested it last year when we sere at a street fair where the local music school had a table to sign up for lessons.  After talking about it I decided to go for it and have enjoyed the learning process and playing since.  It is nice to see the progress that I am making.  I have played a few times while dressed and that is fun.

XOXO
      Suzanne

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

Broken down old (amateur) rocker here, with fingers too short to play lead guitar, so I mostly play rhythm. (Bar chord basher…, it’s basically all I was taught in my teens)

Own 2 lovely Australian Maton guitars and no “old rocker” can be one, unless they own a “Strat”.

AKA Fender Stratocaster

Just had my mid 60’s Australian made, all valve  “Goldentone” amp restored. Complete with spring echo and echo/ tremelo foot switch….

Ah to be young again….

Always wanted to find another CD guitarist to form a duo. As a play on words for the Everley Brothers, we would be the “Neverbe Sisters”

Caty.

I hadn’t heard of Maton before (not that I’m an expert in guitars by any means). Sounds like a cool company with a cool history. They certainly make a beautiful product.

Personally, I’m an Ovation fan, but that’s just because of their connection to the aerospace industry.

Hey!  Who wants to start a band!

Anonymous

I do!!

🙂

I’d have to say other.  In grade school, I played trumpet, them moved to baritone horn, and eventually tuba.  I haven’t played a brass instrument since then (over 50 years).

I also learned recorder in grade school, and played with other players for a number of years.  In addition to the soprano recorder that most people are familiar with, I also have a sopranino, alto, and tenor recorder.  The soprano and tenor are C instruments (with the tenor double the size of the soprano), while the sopranino and alto are F instruments (with the alto double the size of the sopranino).  We did have people playing base and even contra-base recorders too.  Again, I haven’t played in quite a number of years.

I do have a musical ear and rhythm and a decent voice and can carry a tune, and will lead parts of religious services on occasion.  That sort of makes me a singer.  I have had been known to sing a few songs occasionally at my friend’s parties, although they are more light songs, funny songs or parodies. Things like “The 12 Days After Christmas,” “Walking ‘Round in Women’s Underwear” (a parody on “Winter Wonderland,” or “London Derriere” (a pun on “Londonderry Air”, the tune of “Danny Boy”).  I even wrote a parody song for my friend to “Take Me Out To The Ballgame,” starting with the the verse part that nobody knows, so that it was a surprise when it came to the chorus.

With all these “I used to’s” and “sorta of’s”, I put myself into the other category.

I learnt to play the highland pipes in my early teens and played in many bands around the area over the years. Funny though, although I was a ‘partial’ dresser at this time I never considered wearing a kilt as cross dressing as I suppose it isn’t. There were quite a few women in some of the bands so you could say they were FTM dressing in public.

Over half a century later I have and often play a large collection of pipes of all species (Northumbrian, English, Swedish, border pipes etc.) but mainly for my own pleasure. Another passion is wood turning and carving (which I only seem to have an interest in when in male mode) so I now make my own medieval pipes and variations of to keep the tradition alive.

It may be that people with the creative gene (musicians, makers, cosplayers etc.) are more likely to possess the CD gene also? Perhaps the two genes are related. Just a thought.

Steffy
        Stephanie x.

People were talking on another site about the long lead time for hurdy gurdies (up to 7 years for some makers) and someone said that leadtime for some pipes (I thought it was highland pipes) could be 15 years. Is that true?

Hi Jessica
            Waiting times for Highland Pipes are not so great nowadays as most of the parts are produced by CNC machinery. The chanter (bit that plays the melody) is still hand finished and tuned and if bought separate could be around 7 to 10 months from some makers. Many competition bands will buy chanters for the whole band so they can be finely tuned and matched together and I’ve heard this can take up to 18 months. The last set of pipes I bought were Northumbrian bellows blown and was quoted 12 months waiting time back in 2003 for a standard seven keyed set. I received them 19 months after placing the order. I know waiting times have increased for specific makers but I couldn’t tell you by how much as I make my own sets now.

Stephanie. x.

I played the flute a long time ago (8th grade) My aunt was my teacher. (she married my uncle, and I was the one that introduced them to each other) She turned 85 just the other day.

Marianne
      Ambassador

I am an amateur musician with the piano as my primary instrument. I have also been a singer (1st Tenore) in several amateur choirs. In addition to that l sometimes compose small pieces of piano music and occasionally a song with lyrics in Swedish and/or English.  You can find the lyrics and chords to two of my songs in the Poet’s corner Forum on CDH if you dig deep enough.

Sadly ten years of Parkinson’s disease have now taken most of my skills both playing and singing so I rarely do it anymore.

Ellen MARIANNE Tornander Moderator and Nordic Ambassador for Cross Dresser Heaven and Transgender Heaven

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Marianne.
      • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Marianne.

At the age of five I started piano lessons and a year later the violin. I took Grade exams with the Royal School of Music in both instruments (and also theory of music) and by the time I had finished high school, was a suitable candidate for fulltime music study.
      However, fearing that a fulltime music career would somehow “narrow” me, I opted to study towards a degree in the Humanities and Social Sciences, later becoming a school teacher (and later yet, a college lecturer).
      Although my violin has spent the greater part of my life sitting untouched in a dusty cupboard, I still play the piano.

I play guitar, not near enough so to say i am a musician would be an overstatement. Yet another hobby that i need to pick up again.

I never studied music except in those few hours in lower secondary school.
      Some time ago walking through the streets of Florence I heard the Hand Pan player, the sound of this type of instrument (https://youtu.be/EDQgU1CPpis) made me fall in love with the HandPan, and it is the only musical instrument that I can play even if I don’t know how to read a score musical.

I’m not very good, but I’ve been learning guitar and piano recently. I also have a hurdy gurdy on order.

I play an acoustic guitar – a Taylor. I also sing, both lead and harmony but really enjoy harmony better. I have never played enfemme. I have no formal music training but play publicly every week for the past 47 years or so.

Amature bass –

I’ wondered the same thing. I’ve been a semi professional guitarist most of my life, including being a studio guitarist for a small record company. Male Musicians (not all), seem to be more in touch with their emotions.

Thanks for your post!

I’m a piano player/singer. I’d consider myself semi-pro. Definitely have the skill level to do it full time but I only do a few shows a year. Would definitely like to ramp it up though.

Greetings Holly,

I believe it. The music gene is very strong in my Norwegian blood unfortunately it passed me by and present in my trans son. He is a lead marimba/percussionist with his high school outdoor and indoor competition band.

Regards,
      Erica

I play guitar and bass. Played in bands many years ago. Mostly just play music at home now…not much of a band person.

I have a degree in music composition, sing, and play multiple instruments.

I actually tour and record. I play bass guitar.

Thea
      Lady

I play various instruments in orchestras and bands, and trombone semi-professionally.  Interestingly I really feel it is Gabby very close to the surface when I play the piano, so this is one of my ways of coping when stealth mode is getting too much.  On the other hand singing bass is one of the few masculine things I would be really sad to lose.

Thanks for such an interesting discussion!

Gabby xx

Pennywhistle

I sing and play bass and keyboards. I was in two cover bands back in the 80’s. But now, just play for the fun of it.

Lanna

Brianna Bay
      Duchess

Play the drums since i waz 13, holy moly, want to get a girl band together in the Cleveland area.?? Brianna can jam..?
      X
      Brianna

That would be awesome Brianna!!

Anonymous

Brianna, if I lived up there, I’d join in an instant!

Hugs,

Holly

I wanna play too! I shred a mean electric guitar! What’s our band name?

“Lipstix”
        “Tight G-Strings”
        “Hairband” (like for pony tails)

Other ideas?

-Gemma ❤️💋🤘🏻

I played trumpet in band from 5th grade through graduation, and 1 time for alumni band so I definitely still remember how to play it although I don’t own one anymore. As a guitar player, I played in several bands in the Columbus, Ohio area when I lived out there.. one of the bands I was in even got paid pretty decently for shows so technically that would’ve made me professional lol. Today I mostly just play my ukulele because its easy to just pick up and jam on. I always wanted to learn trombone because I really love ska music, but I can’t imagine my apartment neighbors being happy with me learning to play it now haha

I’ve been in bands (paid and for fun) since I was in my teens. I started playing keyboard, and bass, but have mostly played electric guitar for the last 20+ years. I play each week in the praise team at church.

I’ve noticed that there are often guitars in the photos of cross dressers and trans-girls that I follow. -Gemma ❤️💋

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?