Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi ladies,

In my regular attire I’m a medium. Would you all say the rule when buying women’s clothes for yourself be order one or two sizes up?

Thanks!

That is about right, but I would suggest window shopping online at first. Just about all retailers include a size chart for a particular item. Browse through a site to see what styles you like, figure out what size you would order from the size charts, then you’ll be able to average out your size. And if you purchase online, most of the big stores let you return for free. Pretty soon you’ll figure out your size.

But don’t get me started with shoes…

Thanks! Lol shoes. I haven’t ventured into that realm. That sounds like another whole ordeal there.

Harriette
          Lady

Shoe sizes are arbitrary. Some Asian countries, such as Japan, are sensible and size by cm or mm. At least that way you have half of a chance of getting close. I have no idea how anyone can trust ordering shoes through on-line sizing, since shoes should be exact. One size chart can’t relate to multiple brands.

The best service that I ever got was in a big, general clothing store – Nordstrom. Two sales ladies were very understanding and thoughtful, no matter how I was dressed. They both helped and taught me a lot, and I opened their eyes a bit, too.

So, find a good shoe sales clerk. They are worth it, if they know their shoes.

Are you kidding me? No shoes yet? None! Nada? Zip? Good heavens girl, you must be feeling terribly sick? Really, zero shoes? I better send you a couple dozen pair to cure that illness. Every woman worth her weight in silicone has at least forty pair of heels, don’t they?
          hugs, Jillleanne

O Wait,you havent seen the best yet.Please,and I mean this sincerely,please get a qualified professional to fit you for a bra.Dont worry ,they fit men for bras all the time.Make an appointment,be truthful,purchase one or two bras ,and you will start on your journey to be a crossdresser.Enjoy it ,its fun.Sincerely ,Michelle.

Harriette
        Lady

I learned what works from a few of my bra mistakes. Ordering on-line means that we have to spend time figuring out their sizing info, IF there is enough info. If there isn’t enough information, move on.

Fortunately, getting the band size correct hasn’t been a problem yet, but the overall shape is difficult to determine from a web image. The disappointing ones make me look matronly or they can’t hold breast forms correctly. Fortunately, these have been very inexpensive lessons, as their costs have been minimal, for the most part.

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

Lucy,

Unfortunately you will find that woman’s sizes can be difficult to make a generalization about. There are so many styles to choose from and each manufacturer’s sizes may vary slightly from one another. And then there’s the stuff made in China. A lot also depends on your build.

I am 6′, 155 lbs and usually take a size 14 or L in a dress while skirts and tops can either be a M or L depending on the style & cut. Getting to a department store and start trying on stuff will start to lead you in the right direction. And no matter where you buy, make sure they have a good return policy.

Samantha R
      Duchess

If you order from Amazon, I would go 1 or 2 sizes up. If from Torrid, follow their sizing guide. Take you body measurements and keep them handy.

If you enhance your male figure with pads/silicone , forms , etc. when fem,  after putting on your foundation garments with pads and forms.  Take a fabric measuring tape and measure around your bust, then measure around your natural waist , and your hips. Save these measurements and then take a look at the size charts from the websites you are shopping from. Anything clothing coming from China , i.e. wish, fashion nova, Shein , Amazon you will likely be a few sizes up from your size . Read the reviews to get a better idea on fit . Many reviews now include the size info purchased and the reviewers height and weight for reference.

Your best friend is a flexible tape measure.

Harriette
        Lady

“Your best friend is a flexible tape measure.”

YES! This is what I did recently. I bought a small cloth tape to carry around with me because numbers (usually) don’t lie.

For example, my waist is 36″ around, so I got my best fitting skirts and closed the waistbands, spread them out and measured the distance from side to side when laying flat (as they would be on a store hanger). A good starting point is 17″, maybe 16″, with no stretch. However, I found a pair of size 10 shorts on sale in Old Navy, recently. The tape said 17”! Go figure, so I bought 3! The same applies to inseam lengths. I need tall women’s sizes, so in the 31″ min or, better yet, 32″ range, if I want to be subtle and hide my shoes more.

I record the ideal body measurements (both in & cm) like that on a small, hard card and keep them together in my day bag. Update your notes, to make corrections when something doesn’t fit. When I find something that interests me, I use the tape measure and card to see if something is in the ballpark. If the width of a pull-on dress isn’t wide enough to pass over my barrel chest or my arm will never fit into a sleeve, there is no point wasting time in a fitting room. I made a copy to give to my wife, too, with another tape measure (dollar store, sewing section), in a small zip bag.

Shoes are a whole other story. Don’t get me going on about shoes.

The problem with standards is there are so damned many of them! 😉

Thanks for the topic, Lucy.

This is complicated, sort of. Tops and dresses go like this:

16 is on average a large.

1x is an 18

2x is a 20

3x is a 22

now, 1x or 18 would be either a large or extra large, probably extra large depending where you buy. I found fashion stores for the youthful undersize clothes so go bigger in those stores.

jackets are usually two sizes smaller so for large, go 2x. Sleeves will be shorter also.

Pants, well,  women have a thing about butt size being too b…. So companies decides to make pants in feel good sizes. I wear a size 12 in jeans. What size are they? Probably equivalent to a man’s 38. There are some to die for stretch jeans out there and I only wear stretch jeans. Think leggings with zippers and pockets and belt loops and wonderful designs on the back pockets.

Shoes are pretty much universal in that, a woman’s 12 is a comfortable man’s  10 if the shoe is closed, ie pumps. If her shoe is a strappy sandal, a woman’s 11 would be a man’s 10. Warning! Sling back shoes will make you crazy!!! The back strap won’t stay up. Forget tape, anything sticky, nothing helps for a day out.

Did this help? That’s what works for me. Not sure how anyone else feels but this logic works for me. Good luck. There will be lots of wrong sizes so get ready for returns which can be fun anyway. Remember, sometimes it looks better on the store rack than your rack. The only way to find out is try it on.

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

Lucy, lots of good advice!! As said know your measurements, most of the online retailers have a size chart for their clothes. If you do find a large is perfect for you for one item, don’t assume that all large tops? will be perfect. I wear a lot of clothes from Torrid and for me the size 00 or 0 is perfect for me. A few weeks back I found the cutest top but the 00 and 0 were way to tight on the chest but I went to the size 1 which was perfect!!

. Cassie

Here in Canada, we have a women’s wear company called ‘Cleo’. They have stores across the country and also an amazing selection online of high quality and very classy clothes. Tops, blouses, tunics, sweaters,  dresses, skirts and pants.  In their pants and skirts I am a size 16, in all of their other clothes I am a lady’s regular size L.  Here’s an interesting thing about women’s wear and myself. All my life male clothing NEVER fit. I have short legs and, I’m guessing, short arms for a guy. Pants were always way too long and the sleeves on shirts, coats and jackets always went past my fingertips. I’m a trans woman and now have an ample wardrobe of women’s wear. A lady’s size L fits me perfectly, the sleeves come right to my wrists and the pant legs are right at the ankles. Even nature and biology, or karma, knew I was supposed to be a woman, LOL!

Hugs girls,

Ms. Lauren M

Naw, it’s a Canadian thing.  Lol

hugs, Jillleanne

Lots of great answers. Now, who can explain alternate side of the street parking?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?