Viewing 27 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Nancy
      Lady

Any advice on how to get used to heels, when I’ve been wearing nothing but flat shoes for the last 50+ years? I have these 3 1/2 in booties that I want to wear out somewhere. But, I’m quickly realizing that I can’t just throw on a pair of heels and go. I wore them around the house for 1/2 hour or so yesterday morning, and my feet hurt all morning at work. Is there any better/faster way to adjust to heels? Or, do I need to just suck it up and wear them a little bit at a time until my feet/muscles stop hurting?

Birel

Just like you’re doing, Birel. A little bit at a time. You’ll get it.

Diane

As far as I know, there’s no shortcut. I will say that the higher the heel, the more difficult and painful it will be. Maybe you want to start with something smaller and work your way up? I’m already 6 feet tall, so I tend to limit myself to 2 inch tall heels or flats most of the time. Nothing feels more feminine than high heels, but I strive to look as passable as possible and most GGs who are this tall wear flats.

yes you are doing it right. I tell newbies to wear a 2 or 3 inch heel around the house for an hour a day and within a week or two you will master it. You dont have to be actually walking but just in the house so normal activities like washing dishes, vacuuming and other household task are fine. Even watching tv and having to get up every so often to go to the kitchen or bathroom is good practice and in no time you will feel comfy with them. Also a night time walk around the block or somewhere you feel comfortable. In two weeks you will be ready for short walks in a mall.

Practice, practice, practice!

Hi Birel Suck it up and practice Do buy a box of band aids when the blisters first appear before calicoes sets in. Then you can buy a tool that will remove callouses to help your feet look pretty while in pain.  Stephanie With all that we all still love our heels even if it just sometimes.

Love Stephanie

Maya Sol
      Lady

With heels is completely different walk. I walk very fast normally and it’s defiantly not the right style when wearing heels. You need to walk in lady style. First the movement: first leg, second leg, in straight line. It’s a different walk then the normal man walk. It’s a pain to walk like that fast but a real lady never walk fast. Practice the walk, even with flats, before adding the heels into the mix. Then it’ll be much easier. And remember: lady walk! slow, sexy, and in straight line! Then use the right tool for the job: the higher the heels then you walk less and slower. Women wear very high heels only for events – no need to walk too much and it’s a slow walk.

Sutekina
      Lady

Right width of shoe. Then strong ankles from running or lots of walking. That’s about it. The stronger your ankle, the higher the heel.

Just to re-iterate, practice practice practice, lol
      The right fit is also very important, and strengthening the ball of your foot, were the weight resides, lol
      Hugs, Regi👸💕

Roberta Broussard
      Duchess - Annual

I would first be sure that you have a proper fit. Any shoe that doesn’t fit right will cause you painful sores on your feet. Try to peruse youtube for some of the many videos on this. Start out on flat smooth surface until you get used to walking steady and sure footed. Lots of practice, so just wear them for increasing amounts of time every day you can, until you are ready for uneven surfaces and stairs.

Life is too short for bad wine or shoes that don’t fit.

Patty Phose
      Duchess

When I bought my first stilettos I could barely stand in them. I just stumbled about, wore them as often as I could, and over two weeks or so I broke them in, got used to them and wore them to a Halloween party where I walked and danced a lot.

It was just having the right size and wearing them as often as possible.

Quite often I will strut around my mancave/Sheshed in my heels for practice….practice makes perfect 👠

Deborah is right, housework is best. If I get higher or really different heels, doing housework helps a lot. You think about the vacuuming or the mopping, not the heels, it let’s your muscles learn the new tricks without a lot of conscious thought getting in the way. I’m at the point that I always do these tasks in heels just to stay in practice. And because I look cute that way!

Bridgette

Anonymous

I purchased my first pair of heels 15 years ago a 3 inch court shoe wide fitting, a little unsteady at first but soon learnt to walk more on the ball of my foot taking small steps with my heels close to each,
      Just keep practice and you’ll get there.

Julie

My only pair of real heals are 5″ steletos I bought years ago.  Sense then I have hiked the AT and my foot is not the same.  The heals hurt.

I have just pruchased a pair of Ellie 850 platform sandles.  Should be delivered today.  This will be interesting!

Years ago following the advice from a tgirl friend I started to do my vacuuming in heels. It was crazy at first but I quickly became comfortable in heels. Good luck! 😊

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

I love wearing heels, they are so feminine. Make sure you have the right size and practice.

Hugs, Liara

I asked a GG friend of mine who always wears heels this is her advice. Practice when she get a new pair of heels she wears them around the house. Doing house work in them including vaccuming. So thats what i did to get use to my Supergirl boots. And I walked around all day in them and not one ankle roll or mistep.

The only way I know is to wear them a little bit at a time until you get used to them it just takes time. It took me about two weeks before my feet didn’t hurt anymore

I had a pair of Ellie 4″ silver heels that I purchased at a thrift store as my first pair, I wore them around the house in short spurts to get the hang of things. Then I just now ordered and recieved a pair of Ellie 3 1/2″ black ones, right out of the box it felt like I was born in them, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Olivia

Anonymous
      Lady

I must give a nod to Roberta, life is too short for bad shoes and bad wine!  That being said there are 3 actual key areas to consider. I have been wearing heels for 30+ years and am actually more comfortable in heels than flats and even my men’s shoes have a 2” heel (Dansko clogs).
      1. Shoes. Not all 3.5” heels are equal. A good quality pair of heels in 4” is better than cheap quality in 2”. Make sure the toe box fits and there is proper support.
      2. Muscle structure. Wearing flats vs heels is a substantial variation of play and usage of your muscles. It will take time to strengthen, stretch and train your muscles all the way in to your lower back to wear heels.
      3. Practice!!  Yes as everyone has said lots of practice and wear. Walking in heels requires a totally different stride and movement than flats and a much different gait than a man. Lead with your hips and make those steps smaller. Then as has been said… PRACTICE!!

I wish you luck and patience… and a little wine.
      🍷C

Nancy
      Lady

So, since this thread came back to life, I should give an update. I know I haven’t practiced as much as I should/need to, but I tried to wear them around the house in the mornings or evenings for a while. One evening after dark, I did go out and walk a couple blocks down the street and back. I quickly realized that walking distance was going to be different than practicing on my well padded, carpeted floors at home.

At the event I wanted to wear them, I did ok for about 2 hours. Then my feet were done, and I had to switch to some open flats, with black toenail polish, for the rest of the day. And that worked out fine, but I do want to get used to wearing them more.

My female footwear is all from Torrid, because that is the only place locally that I’ve been able to find shoes that fit a men’s 11 foot. They look nice, but clearly don’t offer any kind of support and aren’t really well padded. I mostly shop there when they have big clearance sales, or I have some Torrid credit to spend or something. So, I really don’t like to spend a lot of $$$ on things, but I do realize that shoes are kind of a unique thing that are probably worth buying better quality for the sake of my feet. So, what brand shoes do you girls recommend for comfort and support?

Birel

There’s a video on YouTube that shows a set of exercises to build up the muscles. Well worth a look.

Karen Spudet
      Baroness

I wear men 10.5 to 11 triple e  or xx wide. So very hard to find shoes to fit. I did buy some shoe stretchers.  That has helped a little its just that with some styles its hard to get them in the right position. When the Pay-less stores were open here in this area I found a couple pair, but they have closed here. I will check some of the suggestions from here. Good luck to the rest of you ladies in finding and learning to wear heals.

Not much advice from me. I never struggled much. That does not mean I didn’t have a few alcohol aided mishaps. But never on my butt. The other girls would probably know. Wouldn’t wedges help prepare you for heels?

Barb Wire
      Lady

Hi Birel,

My fist pair of heels were 5” stilettos. I said to myself, “what the hell.” I took to them fairly quickly too, but unlike Michelle I did fall on my ass at the beginning, and not just once. Even threw out my back for two weeks! Stupid Chardonnay.

Love the look and feel of heels! We are walking art!

Barb :B

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Barb Wire.

Noope. I had to wear 2 inch heels around my basement for five months before I felt comfortable in them to move up to higher heels. Learning takes time, but it will be like riding a bike once you get used to it. I am coming off working 14 days with OR and this is my first night slightly femme in a long time. I popped on my 6 inch (with 2 inch platform) heels and strutted my stuff like I never took them off. You will get there shug. Just work it every now and then, and if it hurts, stop and let your body heal

I threw myself in the deep end, starting on 4-5″ heels and practicing until while not second nature at least I could navigate in them. Anything shorter feels easy. Then again I haven’t really walked around in public for hours in them, perhaps that would require a bit more finesse.

I will say it’s vastly important to practice regularly (something I’ve been falling short on to my own injury). Practice makes better.

Anonymous

They are good shoes; I found a pair on Amazon a few months ago, after being clued in by Bobbi…..and in 13W, too.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?