Viewing 16 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi Girls, i had this thought and i felt i should ask the question. Now be honest, in your own opinion, how accepting do you feel your country or state is about crossdressers or crossdressing. If you are ok with it, just put in your comments what country or state you live. Thanks!! i really hope we get some positive feedback here 🙂 .

Love and kisses, Fiona xxx

Anonymous

Hi Fiona, I’m online so I might as well answer………….I live in KY, close to coal-country and it’s a relatively small town…..there is a guy at Walmart that wears skinny jeans, makeup, etc and he’s got to be very brave, but obviously able to show his nature, and no one seems to bother him.  This area is filled with red-necks and there’s no such thing as a bar-tolerant place to ‘get together.  I do know that in Lexington, Louisville, there ARE outlets and I’m assuming much more tolerant that the rural towns….I’ve come to this site to perhaps find a place that a CD could come, just to experience a ‘night out’—-among others, but a drag bar just doesn’t seem the place to go the very first time !!!  In my case, my SO would of course go along, but I am so totally not passable, as my ‘style’ just doesn’t blend in anywhere, perhaps EXCEPT a drag bar !!!  NOT garish, but higher end model type–and that doesn’t go well in this state on the streets…………….or Wal Mart…………….I simply could NEVER in this life blend in anywhere, and don’t try.  If I were less tall, and shoulders less masculine, I think I would without hesitation.  Not in this life.

Looking for a charity event that takes amateurs !!!  I just might place !!!

Hi Fiona

How tolerant do you think your (and my) country is ?

in my opinion it’s hard to tell as so few of us go out in public.

Is there real opposition, or are we just too afraid to go find out ?

love

B

Hi Bianca, the Uk is diverse, but i would say semi accepting. There have been laws introduced including ‘hate crime’ which is targeted against anyone who is prejudiced against, race, homosexuals, Albino’s or indeed anyone that is a minority. Whether or not it is working, remains to be seen, there will always be prejudiced people no matter what laws are made. Because of my very limited knowledge of the great outdoors dressed Femme, i cannot really give an accurate answer here, i assume the UK is like most other countries around the world, with various areas of more acceptance and less acceptance. We do have areas where LGBT’S gather, but from what i have seen, it is quite sparse. If i was to be honest, i would say the UK is more against than for with crossdressing despite us having a high proportion of crossdressers and transgenders here, relative to the size of the U.S.A.

Fiona xxx

Anonymous

Agreed Fiona UK a very small c conservative country.

Anonymous

You would need a thick skin as a minimum here in the North West Bianca certain areas are OK but in others you would be endangering yourself. For me it is better to be cautious some will never understand and preach hate to any group. But if things are better near you that’s great, make the most of it.

Donna x

Becka
      Lady

Hi!

I live in the SF Bay Area, and while people may think it’s a free for all here, there are many conservative pockets around here.  I think that is surprising to most.

Think of it, San Francisco has never been able to elect an openly gay mayor.

Odd, don’t you think?

As a fellow Bay Area-er, I completely agree.  I think if we’re honest most areas have “micro-climates” that defy the big-picture demographic, which I’ll agree is primarily a supportive one here.  Still doesn’t mean I feel safe just putting on a dress and parading around town. 😉

Becka
          Lady

Val, where do you live?

I’m on the peninsula

Anonymous

I believe that Memphis is rather tolerant. Personally I have never had any issues when out. However… yes, there have been cases of murdered tg women. But, there are lots of murders in town cis/tg/ts. Has a lot to do with the areas in town where you may be at.

I’m not “100% passable” I would think. But I avoid bad areas in town. Or being out at night by myself. Goes with my safety rule not to go to places I wouldn’t want my wife or my daughter to go to. I rather to show up at places like the Spanish Inquisition would. (No, not a religious reference!!) the least expected places. I mean, nothing fancy, but just running errands during the day or catching a movie, not the matching the perception of the wild life many may think we live.

Michelle Liefde
      Ambassador

Fairly sure that where I live would be tolerant if not down right accepting though some other towns/cities might be less so.  But Massachusetts strives to be accepting and inclusive.

Well, in Canada the provincial government and th federal governments are promoting big time….anti descrimination agaimst anyone except white males….they are on the hit list. It is not so much a tolerant government thing….it rests upon the shoulders of local law enforcement and to the citizens to promote. But….like evreything else, there are disenters. No serious riots yet but they are building rapidly. Cross dressing is not high on the target list of disenters so things are fairly safe at this time. Racism is the big one….then religion and politics……yup…the big 3!

Dame Veronica

I’m a very closeted crossdresser, and only go outside the house in drab, so I really don’t know firsthand about how tolerant my state is of the out-and-about crossdresser. I would defer to Tiffany Alexis’ opinion on the matter. She is from the NW part of the state, and I most certainly believe that anywhere outside of the New Orleans area would be CD averse, if not outright hostile.

I’ve lived near New Orleans for most of my life, and I’ve never run into an identifiable crossdresser in my drab day-to-day excursions. However, I have a feeling that they’re pretty common in the French Quarter/Vieux Carre (where I never go), but also believe that CDers there are mostly of the flamboyant, drag-variety, attention-seeking sort (nothing wrong with that, of course, but I think we’re discussing the more “conventional” crossdresser here).

I’ve heard it said that New Orleans is one of the more CD friendly cities. There is at least one crossdresser meet-up group in town, catering to the more “conventional” crossdressers, with/without supportive SOs, where drab “admirers” are not encouraged to join in the meetups. I’m not a member, but they get together often and go out to “CD-friendly” venues, mostly in the Quarter. But even they stress the “safety in numbers” philosophy.

So, it might just be my closet-centric nature, but in my area, I would feel very unwelcome out crossdressed in public. However, others might have a completely different perspective. I seem to remember Steffy, a CDH member from New Orleans, saying that she has actually gone out shopping at the local stores while dressed.

Completely illegal here – still having stoning. Honest – not a joke. That’s a good reason to be super stealthy

Really???  They’re stoning people in Alabama?  I understand the non-tolerance but stoning seems a bit far-fetched….even for Alabama.

Although I am closeted, I still am aware that here in Wisconsin, being a CD would be looked down upon except for a micro pocket here or there in Dane County and Milwaukee County.

Anonymous

Manchester may have it’s gay village but travel 5 miles to the mill towns and better be passable or else it’s abuse or worse. It may not be stoning like Sophies Alabama bout possibly tarred and feathered, put in the stocks or summary castration. Anyway that’s my advert for the Greater Manchester area all are welcome. But seriouly as opposed to to vast areas of The USA acceptance can change very quickly in a small highly populated area like this. If anybody comes here from near or far please think on this.

Could we please dispense with “stoning CD’s in Alabama”??   That is not happening.  For crying out loud, that would make national headlines.

Marianne
      Ambassador

I would say Sweden in general is very tolerant and accepting of the whole LGBTQ spectrum. In the larger cities you will hardly have any problems with crossdressing. In smaller communities i guess there could be some talk behind your back at least if you are open about it. I’ve been out alot in most settings, always alone, and really haven’t had a bad reaction from anyone. Not even when pushing the limits to going out shopping as the obvious dude in a skirt and blouse. Instead I have experienced many cases of warm support and encouragement. At several stores and hotels I frequently visit, the staff knows about my double identities and greet me warmheartedly in both modes. When out totally en femme, the big mass however just doesn’t seem to realize = or bother if they do.

Just a week ago, l had an appointment with a physiotherapist at the hospital for my Parkinson’s. It was the first time with a new therapist, as my previous one had gone on maternity leave, but without hesitation I went in full femme mode wearing a knee length blue sleeveless flowerprint dress with blue tights, a black cardigan and blue court shoes with 3 inch heels. Light makeup and a human hair wig topped it all off. As the therapist came into the waiting area and called my (male) name I raised and without missing a beat she gave me a smile and asked me welcome. During the 45 minutes appointment the fact that I was presenting as a woman was never mentioned or discussed as it really was irrelevant for my medical issues.

Anonymous

The UK… More precisely, England.

Supposed to be tolerant… Bloody isn’t.  A level of acceptance can be found, but it’s heavily centered on your socio-econominc background… Uni graduate, well educated white collar or arty job paying well, live in a £500,000 pound house… You’re fine.  blue collar worker in social housing rough area low income town… Probably best stay in doors and not tell a bloody soul.

Why ? A myriad of reason, some from ‘them’ some self inflicted by ‘our side’.

Thankfully it’s not a criminal offense, but it might as well be sometimes.

My experience and my opinion.

Imogen

x

I am very fortunate to live in New Orleans in the French quarter is very forgiving if not even welcoming of it.

C

The Netherlands, most of Germany (the former east has some notorious right wing extremist areas best avoided) especially  Berlin and the Rhineland during Carnival (Mardi Gras), France anywhere, Austria, Spain and Portugal are all very accepting as is Scandinavia.

I live in a little community just an hour from New Orleans, its an extremely “religious’ conservative community. So it would be extremely looked down upon. example the guy who been putting on the Christmas parade for the last 10-15 years and plays Santa every year came out as gay and there was a huge movement to remove him for “all gay men are pedophiles” needless to say there was big enough push back that didn’t happen thank god …now New Orleans is safe and have never had an issue but I always stay in the gay community area when dressing

Alicia C
      Lady

Wisconsin. Been out in Madison and it was cool. Eau clare as a big drag scene and Wausau is ok in some places. I think in some respects its 1/2 about how you carry yourself w/o fear. Let them smell a tiny bit and you’ll potentially have issues. In fact my SO says I’m more confident en femme because I think you have to be. Gotta own it totally, no hiding. That said, easier to be gay because thats far more accepted now, or at least rated into the Mostly Whatever catagory. When you live gender non binary or fluid, well people are still learning to understand that. it doesn’t fit neatly into a place where other people know exactly how to deal with you… which is to just treat you like everyone else.

NYC of course no one cares. when I lived there I worked with one or two TS / CD whatever people and no one cared as long as you were a decent person to deal with.

A

Anonymous

My kind of town Chicago is.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?