Viewing 29 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Recently while reading forum topics and their replies I’ve been thinking about all the varied ladies here, their backgrounds, geography, professions etc and we all have the same interest in CD. When I reply to a topic there is usually a pun or an attempt at a humorous slant or observation. I ask myself if my response and humor is lost on people despite our respective backgrounds? Then I thought that with out more gentle sides does our humor somehow influence or is it influenced by our dressing?

Add a response with answers to the three following questions in your reply and include the country of origin in parenthesis if you know them. Have fun and keep it clean!

1) Who is you favorite comedian

2) What is you favorite comedic tv/streaming series?

3) What is you favorite comedic movie.

For me:

1) Bill Murray (USA)

2) Ted Lasso (USA/UK)

3) My Cousin Vinny (USA)

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Jamie Taal.
      Anonymous

hi Jamie,

Coming from the UK, I often wonder about an atlantic divide when it comes to humour.

1. In previous posts I’ve plumped for Eddie Izzard, who can be a bit sharp, but Victoria Woods proved humour can come from from the gentlest of sources. I like Milton Jones too, who I think stretches the English language to absurdity, much like Steve Wright from the states.

2. Favourite TV series, well, don’t know if it ever got to the states but Dad’s Army (decades old, but still regularly shown in the UK) is such a wonderful but gentle p*ss take of all things british set in World War 2 – “Don’t tell him your name, Pike!”

3) Best movie? Today I’ll plump for Blazing Saddles. I remember seeing it at the cinema, I have *never* been in such an hysterical, out of control audience. Rolling in the aisles would not be an over exaggeration.

There you go, a brit who hasn’t mentioned Monty Python … oh, I just did 😉

Marti xxx

Edit: (btw – I didn’t vote. Like a kid in a sweet shop, I couldn’t decide!)

Marti,

I love hearing about shows from across the pond. Shows that I would not hear of otherwise and now can find them streaming online. Dad’s Army reminds me of a few war comedies from the states like MASH and Hogan’s Heroes. A lot of my teenage years in 70’s were spent watching reruns of these shows. I will need to check out Dad’s Army to see how it compares and if translates well to the my sense of humor.

Thank you, Jamie

IsabelB
      Lady

Hmmm, an interesting poll, Jamie, and a difficult one to choose a single answer for…

As for the three:

1. Comedian – Billy Connolly.  There are so many great comedians, but Billy has most definitely caused me the most pain from laughing.  Dara O’Briain comes a close second…

2. TV series.  Again so much choice, but today Father Ted comes to mind immediately, so that’s the one!

3. Film.  So much choice again, but first to mind is The Life of Brian.

So, Marti, I couldn’t avoid Monty Python 😉

Isabel x

Jamie,

You picked a great topic. I chose observational comedy as my favorite. I love the trivial nonsense and self-righteousness being skewered to the depths of how ridiculous things can be. As I’ve quoted before in a different topic, “Lighten up, Francis.” (Sergeant Hulka, from the movie Stripes)

1. The late George Carlin
      2. Seinfeld
      3. Airplane
      Before anyone says “surely you can’t be serious!” I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.

Kay👩🏻‍🦳😆

Airplane is so funny. I hadn’t seen it in years and they dusted it off during the pandemic lock down. I forgot about so many great lines. After seeing that I had to watch The Naked Gun. That genre was so stupid but I couldn’t keep from laughing.

3. Funniest movie – Airplane, nothing is sacred

2. Funniest tv series – Muppet show, where it’s not easy being green

1. funniest comedian – Milton Berle in drag, had more of an influence on my life than I knew and I was only 5 years old.

Ahh I love a good viewing of Muppet Show. It was something i grew up with and then watched it with my children on DVD. We all loved it. Simple, fun and clean humor.

Anonymous

I’ve always loved comedy that is heavy on puns/wordplay. I’m fanatical about everything written by Mel Brooks, and as a kid I loved watching Abbot & Costello’s “Who’s On First” routine, and all my favorites are in the past.

Comedian: Don Adams or Ted Raimi (Joxer)
      TV Series: Get Smart
      Movie: Blazing Saddles (#2 is the “Police Squad” series)

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Jamie, Thanks for the poll, I really had a difficult time picking a category, though I finally did settle on one.

Favourite comedian – Robin Williams

Favourite TV series – Monty Pythons Flying Circus (close second is Saturday Night Live back in the early days with Bill Murray, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, and especially when Steve Martin was the guest)

Favourite Film – Monty Python and the Holy Grail (some classic scenes!!!)

Thanks again, Have a great week, All the Best, Hugs, Krista.

Anonymous

This topic is Life itself!

I will never be able to do this topic justice.

Ensemble Comedy: SNL …Huge!  Carol Burnet Group…Monty Python Group…I Love Lucy…” Have another piece of Candy!!”

Robin Williams, George Carlin, Stephen Collert…there is no end…

We are all players, on this stage of life…we Must keep laughing or else we will go insane.

Dr.T.J.

Anonymous

Hi Jamie.

That’s tough….to pick just a few from millions…..

3/ Movie…

Arthur ( Dudley Moore )

2/ Series…

Dinner Ladies ( Victoria wood )

1/ Comedienne…

Grace Scarlett (she is so modest and would hate me for saying this, but she’s the zaniest, funniest, craziest person I have ever met 😂😂😂😂 )

So hard to pick favourites, but here goes:

1.  Comedian:  Jim Gaffigan

2.  TV Series:  Carol Burnett Show

3.  Movie:  Young Frankenstein

Reflecting on this, it’s interesting that my favourite movie and TV series are definitely oldies from my youth, but not the comedian…hmmmmmm, I wonder if that means anything, and is it similar for anyone else?

Marcellette

Anonymous

Oh  Marcel….I bought the CD years ago to YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN!!

ALSO  SPINAL TAP !!

LOVE & LAUGHS!

DR.T.J.

Carol Burnett is awesome. I recall watching her show with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway and how they could not keep straight faces during their skits. Simple and funny humor. They don’t make it like that anymore.

Very true. You have excellent taste is comedians. Have you ever heard of Carol’s love song to a Secretary of STate whose name characterized his personality: John Foster Dulles. Asked to reply to her song Dulles replied: “a gentleman does not kiss and tell.” Probably the first time a comedian’s song forced a dull man to be funny!Raesunshine

Anonymous

Speaking of Carol Burnett ‘ s group…

TIM CONWAY in :” THE DENTIST”  with Harvey Corman as the patient…

Hysterical!!

Dr.T.J.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

It was difficult to make a singular choice. It is all around us. Someone face planting on the side walk, having your skirt tucked in your knickers, a baby being a baby. There’s so much that tickles the funny bone.

Life has comedy all around us.

As for films, T.V, actors or performers, how can you choose? From the silents to the lavish blockbusters there is so much to laugh at.

No one can be free from buffoonery or being laughed at.

Whatever sets the chuckle muscles going is good for the soul………..

One of my most enduring laughter masters are Laurel and Hardy.

I love good humor, so this is difficult to narrow down. It might honestly depend a lot on my mood. So here it goes. 

1. George Carlin
      2. Arrested Development
      3. This is Spinal Tap

This Is Spinal Tap is one of my favorites and I saw when I was a teenager and appreciated more the more times I watched it. It just so happens to be the first movie my wife and I saw together in college in a friends dorm room. We were not dating at the time but i liked her. She walked out of the room during the movie because she thought it wasn’t funny and very stupid. Here i am 30 years later and married to her. I guess that’s why they say opposites attract.

I loved spinal tap the more I watched myself. It’s good to hear you are still married after 30 years.

30 years together and 25 years marriage later this year. The time sure has flown by. Our humor styles have diverged a little over the years but we still laugh together everyday…mostly because I am the consummate joker. Though she does not like This is Spinal Tap I have quoted that movie so often in my daily life that she knows when I’m setting her up for one of many punchlines. She’s a good sport and I lover her dearly.

Anonymous
      Lady

I have to comment on this one as I have been accused of having either no appreciation of humor or a weird sense of humor because I don’t seem to like modern comedy movies. Their humor I just find uncomfortable and leaving me wanting to just leave the room. So here we go…

Comedian:  Foster Brooks (especially with Dean Martin)

* special mention – Grace Scarlet

TV series:  none really. No dish/cable/satellite or rabbit ears for over 20 years. Yea I’m that cheap.

Movies:

Monty Python – Holy Grail

Mel Brooks – Young Frankenstein & Blazing Saddles

🍷C

Hi Ladies,

I voted for witty wordplay but this may contradict the following ….

Favourite Comdedians include Billy Connolly, Jasper Carrott, and the boys from The Last Leg, all from the UK (except for Adam Hills who’s an Aussie).

TV series include Monty Python, Dads Army, Citizen Smith, The Young Ones, Get Some In & Have I Got News For You from the UK, F Troop & Get Smart from the US

For Movies, there’s The Blues Brothers (US), Carry On Screaming, Carry On Sergeant, Carry On Up The Khyber and The Italian Job (The proper Michael Caine version!) all from the UK, and Thd Castle from Australia.

So most of it is anarchy, but witty, wordy anarchy in places.

Beth xxoo

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Beth Irish.
        Anonymous

Hi Beth,

It’s nice to see another girl who appreciates the late Don Adams. I don’t recognize many of the shows you listed, but I do remember the Carry On films, especially Carry On, Doctor. The ushers were handing out daffodils to the audience as they exited.

Hugs,
        Bettylou

Hi Bettylou,

Yes, the daffodil scene😂.  There were quite a few of  the ‘Carry On’ movies, probably best described as British seaside humour😅!  A lot of double entendres, it rubs off on you if you spend time there …..

Love

Beth xxoo

Anonymous

I went with sit-com, turn on the news and watch our politicians, there’s a comedy show right there.

Favourite comedian: no question, Robin Williams.

Favourite comedy show: Cheers, just an extraordinary cast

Favourite comedy movie: Blazing Saddles, classic

Great fun question

I’m definitely improvisational in my humor, take something that happened and just turning it into something obscure , love the use on non-sequiturs, and a big fan of dry humor. I watched lots of Monty Python as my early comic influences, and continue to derive influence from sketch comedy and improv.

Favorite comedian(s): Eddie Izzard, Dave Chappelle, Robin Williams

Favorite comedic show: Flying Circus, The State (cult following sketch comedy show on MTV in the 90s of which I am a huge fan), can stream it now on Paramount+.

Movie: I’ll avoid the obvious Grail reference and say the absurd comedy of Leslie Nielsen in The Naked Gun

Heather

This can be a hard one if you think too long on the questions.  My favorite comedy style is deadpan.  I love seeing a character deliver a line so totally out in left field, but never change their expression.  This is followed for several seconds before other people start to get what was really said.

Three questions:

1.  Lewis Black

2.  Criminal Minds

3.  Young Frankenstein  (I am a huge fan of the early ‘monster’ movies that Mel Brooks parodied so well.)

PaulaF

PS.  Now I need a show of hands of the girls who thought “What is wrong with Paula?” after reading the second answer.  Gotta love it!!  WooHoo!!

a very tough choice, my favorites span a lot of the past.can’t focus on just one movie or tv show, but these are my all time best to watch;
      John Belushi, especially in “Animal House” and “1941”
      W C Fields
      the entire cast of it’s Always Sunny in Philadephia, but especially the characters Charley & Dee
      the virtually unknown 70s movie”Drive-in” featuring a young Trey Wilson, who also starred with Nic Cage and Holly Hunter in another fave”Raising Arizona”
      lastly, the underappreciated Steven Wright and the late genius Bill Hicks

Anonymous

– ooh, W.C. Fields , what a lovable rogue !

“you can fool some of the people some of the time …

… and that’s enough to make a decent living”

Was that a joke, or was he able to predict the future?

Marti xxx

Its only over the past 5+ years have I seen any WC Fields movies per a recommendation of a friend.  I am slowly appreciating his subtle and well timed humor.

Anonymous

Hi Jamie,

His real life was equally entertaining, if that’s the word. There’s a great biography of him, I think it was the one by Curtis.

Marti xxx

Stephanie
      Lady

I can’t pick just one comedy style for me, I love word play, improv I am getting better at and there are several more on the list, but deadpan is my best and that will mess people’s brain up cause I can deliver that kind of comedy, (ps never try deadpans on a cop they have no sense of humor…

comedian Robyn Williams

don’t watch tv anymore but old school comedy, is and always will be top notch

movie….hmmmm seen a lot but not many really stand out any more but if I must pick one I would land on the  movie…perks of being a wall flower 🌸 or the Rocky Horror picture show

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

1. Robin Williams OR Jim carry??
      2. the Carol Burnett Show Although I remember watching a Harlem Globetrotter’s special when I was a kid and laughing so hard I got the hick ups.
      3.The Mask

. .Sandy

Leslie
      Lady

This is a tough one. Personally I’m not that into comedy.
      I love Oscar Wilde he had such a way with words.
      But I will say Whose on First and You remind me of a man still crack my up. My daughter and I still do the routine until we can get it right.

The movie “Roxanne” with Steve Martin is the funniest take on Cyrano I’ve seem well only just ahead of the “Dobbie Gillis” version. Just call me a romantic I love Cyrano.
      And I love that one of the muppets is based on Max Beerbohm. Another man with a way with words if more straight that Wilde.
      But I’m not sure what my personal style of comedy is. I say some of the most tragic things from my live and it might be that I say the with a straight face. And the people I’m talking to crack up and gush about how funny I am. It might be that if I don’t make fun of these things I would cry about it.

I do have to agree with what several people have said our own Grace is one of the funniest people around.

Leslie

Comedian- John Mulaney/Bo Burnham

TV series- The Office/Seinfeld/IT Crowd (3-way tie)

Movie- Caddyshack

Over the past few months just started watching a few John Mulaney stand up routines. Very funny.

Leonara
      Ambassador

Interesting topic
      George Carlin. “Hippy Dippy weatherman;
      Billie Crystal, city slickers, when Harry met Sally
      (I’ll have what she is having”), Princess Bride, “have fun stormin the Castle.. “all dead or mostly dead”… honorable mention king of the one liners
      Rodney Dangerfied “I get no respect when I was a kid I got lost at the beach…policeman said sorry kid there are so many places where they could hide”
      My daughter was named fed express.. she had to absolutely, positively had to deliver…

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Leonara.

Rodney Dangerfield’s one liners and delivery were and are still classic.

Princess Bride is sooo great that my family watches it yearly. If we ever pass by it on the TV we need to stop for a few minutes and catch a few scenes. There is no bad part of that movie. Love it. I put that up there with The Sandlot. Simple clean family fun.

Leonara
          Ambassador

Thank you Jamie for your input ..Dangerfield and Princess Bride were classics

Jamie:

Funny you should ask as I did a standup routine on a ZOOM show back in March. While I enjoyed the experience, I don’t know if I will do it again…

Anyway, it was tough to decide about style. I picked Observational, but Anecdotal would also be true.

I can’t pick just one comedian. My full house would be Robin William, Richard Pryor, Jonathan Winters, Leslie Jordan, Phyllis Diller, Rodney Dangerfield, Judy Tenuda and Sam Kinison.

TV shows? Lots! MASH, Mork & Mindy, Red Skelton, The Honeymooners, Get Smart

Movies? Hard to say as I don’t often watch comedic movies. That said, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and just recently I watched Del Shore’s A Very Sordid Wedding…

Wow! Stand-up?! Never in a million years could i have the courage or talent to take on such a challenge. Good for you!

MASH and the The Honeymooners were two of my favorites growing up. MASH’s first few years were the best and though it changed cast and style over following following years it still drew me to watch them religiously.

I forgot about one movie that I love called Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Its an early 60’s mad-cap slapstick movie with a packed cast to match no other, most of them being a who’s who of comedians at that time. Its good clean humor that my kids now love too.

I know that I am a bit odd in a number of ways, but nerves happen differently for me. I will fret a bit beforehand, but once I start, it’s OK. In addition to the 3 1/2 minutes of standup, I’ve done speeches and I came out 5 1/2 years ago when I was the Mistress of Ceremonies in front of ~130 people, including some co-workers. For whatever reason, my psyche just works in a different way…

Anonymous

DeeAnn H.

You Go Girl !!  Congrats on all of your extraordinary accomplishments!

I have been on stage, big stages …as in Union guys back stage telling me at 8 y.o. what I dp And what they do.  I understand the feelings on that 1 st downstroke & once it’s going…you’re gone ….yeah!

I used to give lectures to medical students at Universities, challenging.  Also wrote many scientific medical papers I had to present to thousands of attendents. Yep…it ain’t for everyone…but for those of us who fought through the gaulets and succeeded….well to ,  You Are a Special Person!!! ( Women)

Love to you ,

Dr.T.J.

Yes, just another reminder of how varied we are as a group of crossdressers and trans people. Certainly there are similarities, but it seems that no two paths are the same…

Prudence
          Ambassador

Jamie, It’s a mad mad mad world is so funny! Not a single curse word. And if you tried to put a cast together with all the top comedians today. Well, they couldnt afford to make the movie!!  Hugs

I forgot to mention that Jamie Farr and I share the same hometown…

Anonymous

It’s very hard to pick one of anything but here goes…

Comedian – Rowan Atkinson – Blackadder & Johnny English

TV series –  Dads Army – “They don’t like it up ’em you know”

Film – The Death of Stalin – “When I piss I like to piss on an officer, it also ruins their day”

There are so many others but these stand out to me for different reasons – I know,  I’m just weird!

Hugs

Diana

Prudence
      Ambassador

I chose improv. So I’ll go with Tim Conway!  TV, maybe , Whose line it anyway. Monty python and the Holy Grail!!  Good Poll and Question.  Hugs Pru

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

I love observational humor so I have to go with George Carlin.  Love Robin Williams too.

T.V. there are many, but WKRP in Cincinnati, Two and a Half Men,  and Frasier are up there.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail of course!   Dawn of the Dead (original) is pretty funny too.

Stevie

Anonymous

I need an option for sarcasm! Now you’re probably wondering was that sarcastic or serious?

— Abbie 🥰

Agree. I’ve been known to be sarcastic quite a bit. I’ve self diagnosed that I use sarcasm and humor as a defense mechanism to overcompensate for something. I think it my attempt to be to be overly “masculine” and hide my feminine tendencies.

BTW, I love your name. I can only assume it’s a nod to Young Frankenstein. Coincidentally I just watched it again yesterday with my kids who had yet to see it. It gets better each time I watch it.

Anonymous

Hi Jamie!

yes sarcasm can be a bit dangerous and is often used to hide various issues. I’m sure I’m compensating for something, lol. And Yes on the Young Frankenstein reference! Such a great movie. l’d love to watch it with my daughter but she’s in that phase where I’m not cool and doesn’t want to hang out anymore. Sigh.

— Abbie 🥰😘

Comedian = Eddie Murphy on SNL. James Brown Hot tub is my fav.

Tv Series = Ru Paul’s Drag Race & Destination Fear (Ghost Hunting Show). I was co-founder of Hayward Paranormal Investigations in California SF Bay Area. From 2005 – 2009.

Movie = What about Bob. w/ Bill Murray.

Thanks, this was a fun Poll.
      Celestine

Liara Wolfe
      Duchess

Monty Python has always been my favorite (I have them on DVD). I also like the Pink Panther movies (also have them on DVD).

Hugs, Liara

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?