Viewing 24 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Everywhere I looked there were young women making a fantastic job of looking young and gorgeous. Alas, that is not me. I’m 71 and not petite [55 – 52- 54]. It took me forever to find a bra that would even fit around me. Slowly buying more clothes but confused as to what would be age appropriate. I’m not Helen Mirren but I love her fashion. Maybe someday but I should probably start with something I could afford.

Thanks for any help or encouragement,

John2joan

Welcome John! Maybe Joni would be a cute fem name?

Kelly

Anonymous

J. Let’s see. Make it French, hmm? Jean? Your fashions will take you everywhere. Try everything – and if you don’t like it? Stash it somewhere, because a week, a month , a year from now, you will be glad you kept it. The woman in me has taken a firm grasp. She make me eat healthier and exercise more. Whether my legs are more attractive now or whether I feel cute  in different outfits may be reality or my mind’s reality, but reality it is. Keep a distance from frumpy – you’re already past that!
      k

Anonymous
      Lady

No matter what age you are you can’t go wrong with black and white patterns. Maybe something like a white blouse and a black skirt or something with black and white patterns. Older women cover up more than younger women do like with long sleeves and never mini skirts unless you want to be really sexy. You can still wear fem jeans too.

thank you,  Michelle. This is just the sort of advice I’m looking for. Having pushed the feminine side down so long I feel ecstatic to be moving in the right direction

Anonymous
          Lady

Thanks…. I’ve noticed some older women wear more jewelry than younger women like necklaces, earrings, bangles, and rings. A high collar or turtle neck can help hide neck issues. Seems mature women wear lower heels too.

actually, I love Joan.  JOAN was a dear friend of mine who presently passed.

Hi J welcome to CDH it’s nice to meet you, I’m not quite your age I’m 69 , I’ve been dressing most of my life since i was about 8 or 9 years old, like most people i thought i was the only one but over the years and with site’s like this one I’ve found that there are millions of us out there, I’m sure you will find lots of advice and support from the girls on here X

Hugs Rozalyn X

Hi Joan, and welcome from another senior a few years older than you. One thing I have discovered is not to let age or size interfere with my passion to explore my feminine nature. The neat thing is there is so much in the way of flattering clothes for large women. Perhaps you have already done so, but if not I encourage you to explore the many Internet sites dedicated to fashion for larger women. They are very helpful in providing excellent advice and guidance on appropriate clothing. As to age appropriate, I find more and more girls our age wearing clothes I thought were for younger women and looking FANTASTIC in them. So much so I has inspired me to dress a little younger than my age. I look forward to hearing how you are doing. Hugs, Paulette

Hi John and welcome, yes, got to do something better for your new name, maybe Jean, as was suggested 🙂
      And, yes again, regarding age appropriate clothing, as Paulette says, go with what makes you feel comfortable and looks good. I have found that, because of the way I dress, my hair and how I do my makeup, everyone thinks I am 15 years younger than I really am. I will definitely go with that, any day!!

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Anonymous
      Lady

So you want a new feminine name beginning with a J?

How about Jessica or Jackie or Jennifer or Joan or think of some female celebrity you admire.

Anonymous

Well hello I am 62 but looking like 35/40 and dressing the part. Getting a new 👗 or making a new dress 👗 makes me feel all girly inside. We are glad to have you welcome to the site

Anonymous

Joan/John
      according to profile, welcome at any age. More wisdom.
      Hugs Ginger

Trish White
      Baroness

Hi John,

Welcome to CDH you’re going to love it here with all your sisters. A name that starts with J that I really like is ‘Janelle’. I’m a year older than you and don’t dress age appropriate. For me age is just numbers, it’s how old you feel and how old you act that’s important. I still wear mini skirts and dresses and 4″ heels. It really boils down to what you’re comfortable with and what makes you feel good.

Love,

Trish

Hi John,

Welcome to CDH.  Her Room.com Carrie’s bras in a 56 band size.  You can search them on the web.  If you need help getting started call the toll free number and ask any questions you might have.  They sell lots of bras to CD’s and men so no need to be shy.

Lane Bryant is also CD friendly.  I believe the largest band they carry is a 54.  But they have bra extenders to add additional inches to a bra.  If you have a Lane Bryant near you call and let them know you’d be interested in a bra fitting.  The fitter  can tell you if they have something in the store or if you need to order on line.  If you order on line have 5he item shipped to the store and you can try it on.  If the bra doesn’t fit or doesn’t feel right you can return it while at the store.  Since Catherine’s closed their physical stores Lane Bryant has added bigger plus sizes in tops, bottoms, dresses, and panties.  The store associates can assist you with sizing.

Alice

Hi Joan and Paulette and Rosalyn and Lauren and Christina and everyone,

I’m up there with y’all at 69 and I’m all for us wearing what we like, what feels good. I have thought about being age appropriate, but I’m not sure what that would be, or that I’d care for fashions appropriate to older women. Who says, anyway? Who says we should stop feminizing? Nuts to them. Who says we should look our age? A Bronx cheer to them & what does it even mean, “look your age?” I am my age for goodness sake, ain’t that enough!

Anyway, I feel young inside (most of the time) and I’m pretty sure I’m dressing quite a bit younger than my 69 years. So what? I like the styles (have only made a few mistakes so far) and the clothes make me happy, they do. I have a couple of cute tunics that are asymmetrical and they are comfortable, versatile, sensible but cute and pretty young at heart.

I love the anticipation of a new garment – like my recent totally sheer (I love sheer) flared bottom leggings with rhinestones. I was sure they woudn’t fit, and then totally thrilled when they did. How cool! Same with my tight faux leather pants/tights – pulling them on and thinking about what to pair them with, and oh my, where I might wear them out! That’s where “age appropriate” strikes a bit of fear in me – to go out in my faux leather tight-as-tight rock and roll pants and to have someone tell me, “you look gross, why don’t you act your age,” would not be fun.

But it feels good to be this me, whether in a modest tunic or in thigh high stiletto boots ~ and the clothes, the makeup, the hair all help to feel the woman in me, the girl who sometimes wants to be very girlie, or the woman who wants to look sophisticated and classy and sexy. More and more it seems like through these transformations I fall more and more deeply into my feminine self so I can know her-me-her more and more. And so I can let her emerge in the ways that adorn her best. Who am I, after all, but this emerging being unfolding – mysterious, unexpected, curious, and very much alive.

Toni,

Your response is very well written and appropriate, whatever your age. Why anyone should care how someone dresses in relation to their age, is beyond me. In my guy mode, I dress in cargo shorts/pants and Star Wars or Marvel t-shirts. I’ve heard this described as “dressing like a horny 14 year old boy” in a movie recently.

But it’s what makes me happy and comfortable so I do it. To Hell with anyone who gets upset at that. And if someone thinks similar thoughts about you not dressing age appropriate, to Hell with them too!

They’re not buying our clothes so they have no say in what we wear. You just be you my dear, because you dress and look fine!

Hugs, Jill

Welcome Joan!

I wish I had some great advice for you, but unfortunately for me, I’m still learning more myself.  All I can say, is just have fun with your journey. A lot of the girls here know what they’re talking about because they’ve been doing this for a long time. So heed their advice (I managed to pick up a few pointers too!) and I’m sure you’ll find your way very soon.

Hugs, Jill

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

I’m up there in years as well and often dress somewhat “age appropriate” but lean towards stylish & contemporary not “frumpy”. BUT I also have 2 miniskirts, a few short dresses, a few skimpy tank tops and a sheer, see-thru blouse that I wear when I feel extra sexy and want to project that image. Once I put my wig on & cover up my gray hair I look & feel a lot younger so why not dress the part. Age is only a number & doesn’t have to dictate what you wear.

I have come to terms with who I am. Joan reflects my grandmother. I will be 72 soon, so I know I will never pass as a leggy, sexy babe but I can be a cute, loving person. Pants were never Grans thing, but a comfy lounge suit or pink workout clothes works for me [still go to silver sneakers once a week]. Most days I wear colorful grannie pantie and a silky camisole or shapewear under Jon’s clothes. When alone a long skirt or dress with a cardigan sweater, think Mrs. Doubtfire. No pictures yet but after the Santa Season I plan a photo session without the beard. I’m planning to wax my face, chest, and legs for my birthday. Joan and Jon celebrating together. I am so excited.

Joan:

We all have to remember that few of us are going to be Lena Horn or Liz Taylor. The same holds true for those who are Assigned Female At Birth (AFAB). For those who are AFAB have to deal with the same issues and make peace with it. That said, I think the key is to do what we can in order to support the person that we want to be, regardless of whether it is on a temporary or permanent basis. However, stressing over it becomes counterproductive as chances are that we will never get to our ideal. As I said, we have to make peace with our circumstances.

Oh, and with any luck, I’ll be 74 in a few weeks…

Anonymous

Hey, Joan. Welcome to CDH. Age is just a number. Stay fit, have fun.

Much love,
      Raquel

Hi , John. I think that Joan would.be a lovely name and it would be a.way to honor your friend. I am a youngster compared to you at 55. I dress in a way that makes me feel like I want. I have mini skirts and even leather pants. Dress how you want to and heck with what others may think about age.

Wow! Are we a bunch of old hens or what? 😉

68 here, 69 in January.

Torrid.com has bras in both the usual band/cup sizing and by clothing size to 6X, dear. I get all mine there.

Enjoy exploring your femininity, it’s great to have you here!

Hugs & kisses,
      W.

Seasoned Veterans!

Thank you so much, Wanda. I spent the afternoon wandering around Torrid. I bought a strapless 50 C bra and have my eyes on another and a mature pantsuit.

Hi Joan
      I know and feel your pain and frustration but this site is the best remedy you will find. It sure is for me.
      I am 73 and a broad shouldered tall physically fit man with a pretty good shape but there is no amount of pills or creams or even surgeries that are ever going to remedy the fact that I am a male.
      Saying that I have been cross dressing now into my 3rd week here and Sara and her feelings and emotions are emerging with no resistance from the male me and now I wear my panties and bra continually around my house. I even wear them when I go out under my man clothes. My bra is a 38C and fits my man boobs very nicely. My women’s inventory is building nicely but cautiously as my purchases are from online retailers and one must be careful of online sizing and return policies.
      I have embraced my feminine self because of this site and the wonderful sisters here who have our backs and nothing but positive and uplifting comments and incentive to not hide ourselves any longer.
      Good luck and happy to be a sister to you Joan.
      Sara

Joan –

Welcome to CDH.  I’m 69 and started dressing about 4 years ago on a fairly regular basis.  Growing up I would dress using my mother’s things and then throughout my life I would dress on very rare occasions (usually between marriages).  When I dress I prefer to wear dresses, skirts, blouses but do wear slacks and leggings.  I have a small wardrobe, but as I only dress at home it is sufficient for my needs for right now.  If you’re not sure about the look you’re going for or what is appropriate you could shop at thrift shops to try different looks.  I haven’t one so yet but from what others have said there is usually a pretty good assortment and things are inexpensive.  You also have the option of  donating anything back that you don’t care for.  When I dress I dress for what makes me feel comfortable and pretty.

Look forward to seeing you in chat, be sure to check out the forums and articles as well.

XOXO
      Suzanne

Roberta Broussard
      Duchess - Annual

I didn’t get to this point in my dressing to look like an old lady. I am 70 but that is just a number. I always have admired older women who dress in style not their age. There are far too many GG these days that dress down. Its like they are trying to out drab the guys walking around .

Welcome Joan!

As a plus-sized over-40 girl I feel your pain, at least in part.  As has been said already, don’t let age define your style, just be you!

Being a mid 60’s plus size girl I still enjoy wearing the clothes I liked wearing when I was in my teens it’s just a bigger size now.  LOL  I love wearing short dresses short skirts, I love dressing kinda slutty at times.. Ever since I’ve joined CDH it has made dressing that much more fun, so Joan just have a blast and it is going to be a trial and error with some of your clothes. The main thing is just HAVE FUN and WELCOME…………

Around the house, I dress as a housewife and love it. But I’m planning for the day I step out without a beard and dressed in fashionable clothes.

Stephanie Flowers
      Ambassador

Joan welcome,  your  now part of a wonderful place to express yourself to who you would love to be. That lady deep inside and with the company of many caring and understanding gals who can help you with everything from dressing to makeup and all in between. welcome.  We are so much alike. I’m in my mid 60”s  ouch!!!! . And  have just in the pass couple of years open my hidden feelings of xdressing to which I haven’t experience since back in my late teens. Society’s ways certainly helped  as an a early marriage so my dreams of experiencing my femininity was gone. But life’s changes helped to explore this so by searching around on websites I came across this wonderful place. So start enjoying all that we have and in a community that really supports and accepting for everyone. Very nice to meet you and have a wonderful journey ahead.

Stephanie 🌹

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Introductions & New Members’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?