Viewing 9 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I met up with a friend for lunch and they were asking all sorts of questions about what crossdressing is and how it is similar and different from being transgender. Do any of you know any good articles or other sources that I could refer her to?

Love,

Tommie

If you type

‘CiCi The hardest thing in the world’

into your web browser you get a wonderful short TEDxUCR talk by CiCi who talks about what many of us go through, I watched it when I first started letting this part of me out. It drove me to tears knowing there was somebody who had been along the road I was facing.

B x

I loved this video! Thanks so much for the tip, Bianca!

Roberta Broussard
        Duchess - Annual

I had watched this some time back and thought it was a fabulous presentation. It was nice seeing it again. Thanks for mentioning it.

J J
      Lady
        Samantha R
        Duchess

JJ

This is a great article – Thank you

Hi Tommie,

This is the way I think about it:

Crossdressing is about clothing and appearance.
      Gay, bi, straight is about sexual preference.
      Transgender is about gender identification.
      Transition can be physical and/or social.
      Promiscuity is about none of the above.
      Queer is anything outside of cis-binary culture.

I identify as nonbinary, and therefore that puts me on the transgender spectrum. I do not intend to transition physically, but I am transitioning socially. I wear women’s clothing and a mix of women’s and men’s clothing. I am married to a cis-female. I am bisexual, but non-promiscuous.

Hope this helps.

– Robyn

Nicely put Robyn

Thanks , concise and to the point

Nicely put Robyn, love the comment saying you have not physically transitioned but have socially transitioned, love it.

B x

Sexual preference is not accurate as it suggests that one could do either, but there is a preference. Sexual orientation is the more accurate phrase.

Some other points based on my observations, but these are not absolute:

• The vast majority of crossdressers are heterosexual men.
      • Transgender people can have any sexual orientation that cisgender people have.
      • Some (and emphasize on “some”) crossdressers do eventually realize that they are actually transgender. I’ve never seen any data, but anecdotally what I’ve seen here and on 1 or 2 other sites, it would appear to be a relatively small percentage.
      • Again anecdotally, crossdressers tend to either dress at home or go out dressed for specific events. They tend not to be dressed a high percentage of the time. Trans folks who are out tend to be dressed nearly always, if not full time.
      • In general, trans folks view the world continuously from the perspective of their target gender.
      • If crossdressers do that, it would likely be temporary and related to the time that they spend dressed.

Hi Tommie,

The book “Living with Crossdressing” by Savannah Hauk is available on Amazon and is a decent read on the subject.

Hugs,

Michelle

i have that book and is a great book to get for more info

Roberta Broussard
        Duchess - Annual

Yes, I also found it to be a good read. She had a sequel to it now too.

Hi, Roberta. Is the sequel new material? In other words, should I read the first book and them the second, or is the first encompassed by the second? Best, Marlene.

Roberta Broussard
            Duchess - Annual

The second book seemed to have a lot of the same information as the first. It repeated much of what was in the first book.

I would read the first.  Then if you want more from this author,  go for the second. Using the Kindle App from Amazon both books are not very expensive.

Thanks, I’ll do that. Best, Marlene.

JOJO
      Lady

I agree with the other respondents that “Living with Crossdressing” is a very valuable book to read when you have questions about crossdressing.

The following is from Psychology Today:

Someone who is transgender identifies as the opposite gender from their natal sex. A transgender person may cross-dress and may have surgery or take hormones to change their outward appearance, but they also may not. The term encompasses all individuals who don’t feel they conform to the gender roles assigned to their natal sex.

Anonymous

My Husband Betty, by Helen Boyd is another good source.Read along with Living with Crossdressers
      Both very enlightimg

Anonymous

You’ve gotten plenty of good suggestions. I am curious about your friend’s question…is she interested in understanding the differences, such as they are, between those who identify as cross dressers and those who identify as transgender…. Or is she curious about how you would categorize yourself? And in some respects, I guess I wonder, perhaps you could ask her, if it make a difference to her whether you are a cross dresser or transgender? Either answer from her is ok. I am must curious if the answer might change her impression of you.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?