Viewing 11 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      MelanieElizabeth
      Ambassador

I just finished reading Men in bras, panties and dresses by Vernon Coleman. I have to say it was enlightening. The gist of the book is crossdressers were polled on a series of questions about their activities. Each chapter has the stats and quotes from the individuals questioned. The results were fascinating to me because so many of us are hidden and little is known statistically about us. Among the things I take away from this book is the authors belief that indulging in cross dressing is good for people! He believes exploring this is healthy for both mind and body, well I’ve been dressing for years and until recently I thought I was a nut, maybe I’m just a health nut!
      It is a book that would be appropriate to have a significant other read as well, it could assist her accepting your dressing. If you have read it I’d love to hear your thoughts or suggestions on similar books would be appreciated too.

Thank you for the recommendation and outline. I am sorry that you had to feel that you were a nut for so long. I mean, you might be a nut, but I suspect that your femininity is the least part of that nuttiness.

Araminta.

Anonymous
      Lady

Thanks for the book review…. should be interesting for SO’s and CD’s too. Anything that helps us and others understand our kink can only be positive.

Hi Melanie.I haven’t read the book but only a week or so ago I stumbled upon the book when searching on Amazon.I’ve long been aware that the author has been a trusted authority on the subject of crossdressing.Not long after I statrted crossdressing as a kid back im 1972 I was plagued with panic attacks and anxiety issues that plagued me for many years.I never thougbt that there was a connection until a few years or so.Since I have accepted the fact that I am a crossdresser and will always be so.I have scarecly had any panic attacks for a good number of years.

Anonymous

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for the book review, I will look for it on Amazon, it may be a good book for my SO as you mentioned. My wife has been understanding enough since I came out to her to educate herself about this hobby of mine. She may be interested in reading it, I might just get it and after I read it offer it up to her gently.  I too think many times that I must be nuts to be doing this. I will tell you that this is part of who I am and have always been. I feel that my feminine side makes me a better man and husband, more understanding and compassionate to what my wife goes through on a day-to-day basis. I look froward to reading the book, thank you for your insight.

Lenora James

MelanieElizabeth
        Ambassador

Hi Lenora. It’s a very short book it can be read in a couple of hours but I found it rather enlightening. The information was compiled through an anonymous survey so some things are painfully honest but I’ve never read anything like it. For the most part the responses are benign and I could identify with much of it. It really is an eye opening look into the minds of many folks who share our little “hobby”.

Anonymous

Ordered!!
      Thanks

What I liked about Dr. Novic’s work is that, although she is a psychiatrist and there is a strong element of self-analysis, it was written as a relation of personal experience and the development of her feminine persona. Combined with her frankness this makes the book relatable to the individual.

I was struck by the fact that her journey seemed to be consistent with other, although briefer, stories many persons related and that this made it more meaningful to a (comparatively) wide range of gender variant persons. It was less ‘faddish’ or ‘pop’ than, “My Husband, Betty”.

Many of her views, from a professional standpoint, were similar to the same I had been developing at the time. She was kind enough to respond when I contacted her and confirmed my impressions.

Araminta.

OMG great book. I read this a while ago and it was entertaining as it was informative. I loved how the information had a statistical component to it while not being to complicated and was pretty funny at times. I’ve read a few books on crossdressing and this one stood out. Another was Living with Crossdressing: Discovering Your True Identity. You should check that one out if you haven’t already.

MelanieElizabeth
        Ambassador

I’m glad you read the book I was starting to think I was alone Jess. The other book you mentioned i haven’t read yet although I read her first book a couple of times. It’s on my list of things to do. Ty

There was another book I read a LOOONG time ago, which was in actual print. I don’t remember the name of the book but it was about a married man who was a crossdresser and how he and his wife worked out the dynamics. It was an autobiography and was very revealing. I lost the book in one of my early purges but I’m going to try to see if I find it online and let you know.

“Alice in Genderland” ?

Araminta.

Yes! That’s the one. Great book.

Thank you Araminta. I’ve been wanting to reread it.

Anonymous

The author of “Living With Crossdressing” has a fantastic podcast also, called “The Fox and The Phoenix.” I highly recommended it!

Lara Muir
      Baroness - Annual

Thanks so much for the book review Melanie. I’m going to check it out tonight.

It will be helpful to have more knowledge when I finally come out to my wife!

💕Lara

MelanieElizabeth
        Ambassador

It’s a good read Lara,enjoy. And I hope the talk goes well! I’m sure everyone here on cdh is pulling for you to get the acceptance we all crave from our loved ones.

I didn’t  know about this book, but will have to check it out. Thanks!

Found out I already have it on my Kindle, now I’m going to read it again, thank you for reminding me.

Sounds like a very good read!! I willbe looking for it.

Hugs, Aurora B.

Biased opinion I realize but I concur with the author’s analysis, particularly if one makes an effort to fully embrace such expression without guilt or shame.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?