Viewing 4 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi Girls,

Happy New Year!

I want to revisit the topic of hair removal, this time, specifically targeting IPL devices.

I have read reviews and the clear winner seems to be the Philips Lumea Prestige.

My concern about this is simply that it would be effective. It is not currently sold directly in the US, where I live, so I would have to buy it via Amazon UK. It is listed for 479 pounds, which makes it $648 for me. That’s pretty expensive, but I might potentially be willing if I heard from some of you ladies who have direct, personal, positive experience with this product.

Anyone used this or even another similar product?

Thank you,

Catherine

Roberta Broussard
      Duchess - Annual

I bought one on Amazon that was somewhere around  150. I just don’t remember exactly. It’s called an “Xsoul”. Seems to work fine.
      I don’t think any of them will work very well on blond or grey hair. But it seems to help on everything else. I’m 69 so had my share of greys. Arms, underarms, abdominal area and below belt line all clean and shave about once a month, just to keep those areas clean. I have some stubborn greys in the center of my chest that I’ll have to get electrolysis on

Like you I hated to spend that much unles I needed to and I found out I didn’t. Use the extra money to have laser done on your back or another hard to get to area. That what I did.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

Yes I had an earlier model and it didn’t work for me. I tried it over a period of many months. I had to set it a maximum power and I could smell the singed hair!

The new generation does specify that men can use it but it won’t work as well for facial hair. If the claims are true then it would work out cheaper than paying salon fees.

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I’ve responded to several queries about the Philips IPL.

I bought the Philips Lumea Prestige IPL BRI953 from CurrentBody.  It currently lists for $481 but is out of stock. Despite it’s high price, I consider it a good value when compared to the price of clinic/salon visits.  My experience has been very positive.  I started using it when my laser treatments were abruptly halted by the pandemic in early 2020.  I’m 90-95% hair free.

The Philips unit has 3 attachments for body, face, and underarm/bikini.  It can be used with or without a cord.  The only difference is the amount of time it takes for the IPL emitter to be ready for a new flash.  I believe it’s 3 seconds corded versus 5 seconds cordless.

Like all IPL and laser devices, the Philips unit works best for those with lighter skin and darker hair.  Effectiveness decreases with darker skin tones or lighter hair.  Those with very dark skin should not use IPL or laser to avoid the risk of burns.  Those with very light hair will see little benefit.  Ditto for those with grey hair.  Those are limitations of the technology used in IPL/laser.  For the device to work effectively, the hair must contain enough pigment to absorb the emitted light energy and destroy the root.

I believe the majority of complaints come from people that have light blonde or grey hair, or are using too low of a power setting.

The Philips unit is one of the most powerful available for home use.  Used appropriately it works.  However, it isn’t nearly as fast as the laser and IPL units found in clinics.  Those devices have much higher output and require a trained technician.  Going the clinic/salon route will cost thousands but is much faster and arguably a bit more effective.

Hope this helps.
      Emily

Hi Emily,
        I have seen your replies on this topic and very much appreciate your sharing your experience. Your photos show that you certainly have found something that works for you, as you are absolutely gorgeous!

As you mention, the Lumea Prestige hard to get in the US at this time. It would cost over twice what others would cost if I ordered via Amazon UK. The corded version is available at $318. The Braun is $329 for the higher power model.

Other factors are number of reviews on Amazon and the company’s response to questions asked.
        The Lumea has 4.5 stars with 217 reviews. 31 questions were asked with zero response from company.
        The Braun has 4.5 stars with 2,609 reviews. 267 questions were asked with at least a dozen replies from the company.

I read reviews from Cosmo, Elle, Good Housekeeping, and a couple of others. They seem to all have almost identical findings and it looks suspiciously as if they copy/pasted from one original source. They say the Lumea Prestige is best and the corded version is a runner up. They say nothing about the Braun, which seems odd as that is at least as well known a brand as Philips, which makes the Lumea.

So that leaves me with the question of whether to go with the reviews of those ostensibly credible sources, or with the vast majority of Amazon users.

As this is a purchase costing quite a bit, I will present my research to my supervisor (my wife) and see what she says. I am leaning toward the Braun at this point. I have usually had good luck trusting Amazon reviews.

I’ll keep you posted on how this process goes. I know there are a lot of you girls who would have similar goals and would like help with their decisions.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!

Catherine

Karla Rogers
      Duchess

Amazon has the Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 PL5137 for $329.94.  It has received 4 1/2 stars.  I’ve read the reviews and it seems really good.  Braun is a brand name I’m familiar with compared to some of the others listed.  They also say that they are FDA cleared.  It might be worth a look.  I’m considering it for myself.

Thanks Celeste,

I am aware of this model and was considering it.  It is not the same as the Prestige, which is the one recommended by several sites.  This one is corded, as opposed to the cordless Prestige.  Intuition tells me that corded would be more powerful, which would be great, but at this amount of money, I really want to get the best one I can the first time, rather than buying one and then having to buy another.

Yeah I’m not going to buy either until I get more feedback.  I agree that it seems like the corded should be more powerful.  I hope to hear from more here on the subject.

hairless hugs,

Catherine

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?