- December 15, 2021 at 5:41 am #589231Barb WireParticipantRegistered On: September 16, 2021Topics: 17Replies: 714Has thanked: 4045 timesBeen thanked: 3363 times
My Goodness, Ladies!
It finally happened!
While at the Post Office humming and hawing about the optional costs of sending a Christmas package to England for relatives, I had a wonderful chat with the lovely and young female postal-official (PO), perhaps 30 or 35 years of age.
PO: If you send it by surface mail, it’ll be about $60 and take 10 to 12 weeks.
Me: And the other option?
PO: Airmail is $93 and I’ll be in Yorkshire in about 5 business days.
Well, since I was sending oatmeal cookies my daughter made (yes, this is still OK) plus other “perishable” stuff, I went for the more expensive option.
Me: OK, let’s feed the cat another canary and go for airmail.
PO: I’ll just need you to fill out this declaration form, Ma’am.
Me: ! ! !
PO: Oh, dear god! Sorry!
Me: No need to be! And thank you!
PO: (Squints eyes) Wow! you look better than I do!
PO & Me: LOL! HA HA!!
I guess my long hair and remnants of my mascara and lipstick threw her off.
Anyway, lovely experience! Maybe I really can go out en femme more often after all!
Happy Holidays, One and All!!
- December 17, 2021 at 8:23 pm #590413Michelle BrownRegistered On: August 23, 2015Topics: 3Replies: 360Has thanked: 12788 timesBeen thanked: 1572 times
Donna,You are correct about calling all ladies maam.My Mother and Father taught all three children maam and sir,from the age of nine or ten.Then there was six years of Army time and to quote my drill instructor,Staff Sergent McFarland,”The first words from you better be Maam yes maam or Sir yes sir.Dont say no to your drill sergeant or your mother.hahaha lol Hugs Michelle.
- December 17, 2021 at 5:59 pm #590389Cassie JaysonDuchessRegistered On: September 29, 2019Topics: 84Replies: 1352Has thanked: 3127 timesBeen thanked: 6331 times
I have been called ma’am more than I can count. Many times when in drab, I remember once many years ago at least twice while at the check out at 2 different places they were about 20 to 25 years ago times when I let my hair grow over my ears and down to my collar in the back. I guess my face could go either way, so that when my hair is longer I am easily misgendered while presenting as male. Years ago when I had no intention of crossdressing or transitioning I was mildly annoyed (or was I, don’t know for sure ). Today everytime I am called ma’am or her or she no matter how I am dressed I smile (makes me happy).
. . .Cassie
- December 17, 2021 at 3:05 pm #590346Lara TuckerLadyRegistered On: September 29, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 1415Has thanked: 32308 timesBeen thanked: 5276 times
- December 17, 2021 at 2:43 pm #590342
- December 15, 2021 at 11:54 pm #589595Lacy SatinLadyRegistered On: June 27, 2018Topics: 7Replies: 481Has thanked: 444 timesBeen thanked: 2337 times
I’ve been called Ma’am a lot of times even when in total male mode and at the big box store buying guy things. I sometimes wonder if maybe my panties, slip or bra is showing.
Once at a restaurant with my wife and another couple the waitress asked me “And what can I get for you, Ma’am.” She not only called me Ma’am once but twice. I wasn’t offended but my wife thought it was funny.
I’ve often thought that if people think I’m female then why shouldn’t I dress as a woman out in public more often.
I am very petite, and I have long hair and I really don’t have to put on a lot of make-up to look feminine. All I need is to be wearing a dress and I often think people never give me a second look.
The only times I’ve been read is when someone takes notice of me from behind and thinks I’m a cute girl and then walks past me to really check me out. I don’t look that bad as a woman but I’m far from the cute girl they may think I am by just seeing me from behind.
- December 15, 2021 at 11:47 pm #589594
- December 15, 2021 at 4:11 pm #589450Wendy MeLadyRegistered On: July 20, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 72Has thanked: 19 timesBeen thanked: 329 times
- December 15, 2021 at 1:20 pm #589399Joanne JacksonLadyRegistered On: May 26, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 195Has thanked: 553 timesBeen thanked: 1016 times
I can relate.
I was ma’am’d last Christmas in the checkout line at JCP, “I can help you over here, ma’am” was all she said but it put a smile on my face for the rest of the day. Covid masks aren’t all that bad, i guess.
Thanks for sharing.
- December 15, 2021 at 12:56 pm #589392SylviaLadyRegistered On: October 10, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 667Has thanked: 16947 timesBeen thanked: 2779 times
- December 15, 2021 at 12:25 pm #589383KristaDuchessRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 10Replies: 737Has thanked: 3369 timesBeen thanked: 3663 times
Hi Barb, Thanks for sharing your story. I really love being called Ma’am. It happens to me regularly nowadays. So much so, that when I don’t get called Ma’am I’m thoroughly disappointed.
My wife on the other hand despises it when I get called Ma’am or if we are out together and we get called “Ladies” (especially by food servers in restaurants). We no longer go to eat at restaurants and not because of Covid or the expense, it’s because my wife doesn’t like it when I referred to as a female. So now we do meal pickups at restaurants (I guess covid was good for something). Have a lovely rest of the week, Hugs, Krista.
- December 15, 2021 at 10:35 am #589336Requal JoanneLadyRegistered On: December 15, 2020Topics: 7Replies: 592Has thanked: 646 timesBeen thanked: 2009 times
- December 15, 2021 at 10:28 am #589332Angela BoothBaronessRegistered On: August 1, 2020Topics: 11Replies: 1765Has thanked: 6148 timesBeen thanked: 8092 times
Well that’s amazing! $60, 10 -12 weeks to deliver a parcel by surface mail to blighty! Well I suppose that’s a lot of swimming or rowing to do!
Oh and that’s also amazing you being referred to as ‘Ma’am’. So you’ll be going out En femme more then?
- December 15, 2021 at 11:57 am #589371Barb WireBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: September 16, 2021Topics: 17Replies: 714Has thanked: 4045 timesBeen thanked: 3363 times
Yes, I thought that was odd too, Angela.
I figure it being the Holiday Season that even surface delivery would be quicker than usual. Interestingly, any other time of the year surface delivery is it is quicker! So I asked why does it take so long now for the ship to reach England?
She agreed is sounds weird, but the ship won’t leave Canadian waters until the boat is completely filled with packages. Well, at this time of year, nearly everyone is using airmail to deliver their packages overseas, so the ship remains docked until full.
I love irony!
- December 15, 2021 at 9:19 am #589294Sarah KanterLadyRegistered On: April 25, 2019Topics: 24Replies: 267Has thanked: 644 timesBeen thanked: 1596 times
Ha ha, that’s so fun. Congrats. I got called ma’am once walking into a store, dressed en femme, but as I thought about it, I think there was a bit of sarcasm there. It was fun all the same, but my initial feeling of “Yes, I did it,” turned into, “I don’t think that means what you think it means. ha ha.”
- December 15, 2021 at 9:09 am #589291
- December 15, 2021 at 6:28 am #589257Stevie SteinerManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 91Replies: 2020Has thanked: 9080 timesBeen thanked: 10616 times
Excellent Barb!! What a great experience that must have been. That had to have you grinning all the way home….. Ma’am. 😁
I love oatmeal cookies and a cuppa tea. Maybe Canada Post will screw up and send them here! 😅
- December 15, 2021 at 6:14 am #589247Elizabeth(Liz)LadyRegistered On: October 7, 2021Topics: 36Replies: 408Has thanked: 2779 timesBeen thanked: 1837 times
- December 15, 2021 at 6:10 am #589245AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
- December 15, 2021 at 5:50 am #589236Elizabeth(Liz)LadyRegistered On: October 7, 2021Topics: 36Replies: 408Has thanked: 2779 timesBeen thanked: 1837 times
- December 15, 2021 at 5:52 am #589237
- December 15, 2021 at 5:47 am #589235Gabriela RomaniManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: January 11, 2021Topics: 1598Replies: 571Has thanked: 544 timesBeen thanked: 3767 times
- December 15, 2021 at 5:53 am #589239
- December 15, 2021 at 6:05 am #589244Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: September 16, 2021Topics: 17Replies: 714Has thanked: 4045 timesBeen thanked: 3363 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.