• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Lady

Ladies, I don’t know
      The first thing about makeup. Can someone please point me in the right direction on where to get started?

Thanks
      Cady

Amy Myers
      Baroness

It is a complicated subject, however there are numerous you tube videos which show many techniques that could help you.

Alternatively depending on your situation and where you live, you could go into some place like MAC cosmetics, or Sephora and talk to someone there. There are typically very trans friendly.

I go to a local drugstore and ask a cosmetics person I’ve got to know there for advice from time to time with complete acceptance.

Amy

Hi Cady,Its Michelle here.Two years ago I finally resolved to do better with my makeup.I never had a real sense of how it should be done.I contacted<via E mail> a Mary Kay lady and explained my situation. This lady came to my house,showed me how to apply makeup,which I bought,and its been a very happy two years.Please be honest with whomever you choose to help you,you should buy some makeup from them,and you will be a very happy lady.This does,however,take practice,but thats the fun of it.You can also try Sephora or Ulta ;.Enjoy ,Michelle.

Anonymous
      Lady

A lot of good advice here and there are a lot of sources to learn from like youtube to going in for a makeover from a cosmetic expert. Just remember its a journey that GG’s learn over years and we CD’s want it now so be patient and practice, practice, practice. Also remember that beside the basics, there is really no wrong way to do makeup but only different looks. Have fun!

Anonymous

I had my makeup done at MAC Cosmetics at International Plaza in Tampa. Marco was awesome, gave me some great color tips and a lot of samples to try. I will say that good makeup is much easier to make look good than the cheap crap. Next experiment…liquid eye liner!

Haley

Hi ladies, I have a question for you. What about foundation? What are you using that has been the best? I’ve tried powders and liquids and the brands I tried didn’t look right and I wasn’t that happy with results. I have found the most difficult part of my makeup application is always liquid eyeliner, so I’ve been using pencils and they are a lot easier to work with. They also give your eyes a softer, more natural appearance.

Hi Lauren,

I use Lancome products. They are expensive but work fantastic. I am an advocate of quality products and from my experiences they are worth the $$$. How and what anyone uses should be based on need and if they can afford the items.

I use the Treint Idole Ultra Wear foundation which is a liquid. I am amazed at how well it works including outside in the sun in temps over 100f where your face is sweating. I remember going into a restaurant to cool off and grab a light lunch but visited the ladies room first because I thought “I must look horrible?”  and was blown away that it was perfect! I am extremely happy with everyone of there products.

If you go to the Lancome website and look at Foundation they have a new “E-Shade Finder”. Load an app on your phone and it scans your face and picks the best color and 2 or 3 alternatives. Super easy to use.  I had a great time doing this and wondered what my results would be as my color was picked by a Lancome National Makeup Artist (almost 10 years earlier) who travels the world, does celebrities etc. The app picked a color 1 shade off and the first alternative is the product I have used since Jason did my makeup that day. I felt my tones would have changed since that time but apparently not.

Sandy

The best thing you can possibly do is seek or find professional advice/help.

While I know it is difficult to get past the idea it will be worth it. Makeup Counters or stores like Ultra or Sephora do help men and do not question it. Be open and tell them why you are looking.

They will pick proper color pallets and help based on your skin tone.

You could check with people in your area to see if they have a recommendation.

Also see if there is a Pro in near you that caters to CD/TG clientele.

If you can afford it buy quality products.

Sandy

I learned makeup from reading articles on various CDing sites (like this one) and youtube videos.  I didn’t have the gumption to go to a makeup store and ask for professional advice.

Until I came out to my wife, I was dressing up without makeup.  It wasn’t until I showed my wife Wendy that I started to dabble into makeup for the next step in my transformation.

Like you, where do I start ?  After reading articles/videos, this is the steps that I’ve taken for my makeup regimen.  Mind you, I am not a professional, and I still have lots to learn.  However, compared to when I first started, it is leaps and bounds ahead.

Just for comparison, when I first started makeup, I only used beard cover makeup.  I took some selfies of myself and trust me, I looked like a clown.

1) treat your face like a canvas.  Make sure it is smooth, so moisturize daily.  The makeup will go on much smoother.

2) shave before you even apply any makeup.  Last thing you want is a 5 o’clock shadow poking thru your makeup.

3) use a primer before applying makeup.  Look at it like painting, you apply a primer first before applying paint, makeup is similiar.

4) even with shaving, you’ll need some kind of beard cover.  I use both mehron beard cover and nyx colour corrector.  It comes in various shades but you’ll want to look up the makeup wheel and use a cover that is the complete opposite of your beard.  My beard is black so I use an orange to offset the colour.

5) I take an extra step and use a heavy concealer on my beard.  I’ve had good success with Hard Candy heavy concealer.

6) I then use annabelle concealer (peach) to further cover my beard.

7) to hide the orangy colour, i then use dermacolor camouflage creme to lighten the concealer so it matches my skin tone.

8) I then apply foundation.  Finding the right shade of foundation took alot of trial and error.  It was my wife that helped me find the right shade of foundation for my skin tone.  I went fromt here and went a tad lighter.  I tried various brands, nyx, covergirl, maybelline.

9) I then apply eye shadow.  My fave right now is l’oreal eyeshadow creme.

10) I then apply eyeliner.  Liquid goes on the best but you also need to have a very steady hand.  I find using a mechanical pencil eyeliner is much more forgiving.  I also have an eyeliner you apply with a brush form elf.  Again, it is much more forgiving than liquid.  I find pencil eyeliner not that great as you constantly have to sharpen it.

11) I then apply some blush to the cheekbone.

12) depending on time, I may contour.  I usually don’t because I want to start dressing and transforming into Wendy at this point.

13) I then apply a set powder to the makeup, then finish off with a set spray.  Even though it won’t stop it from rubbing off, it does help it stay on better.

Like I said, I am no expert and I never sought professional advice.  I made that regimen for myself after reading articles and watching youtube videos.  For me, it seems to work well.  I do know that if I want to take it to another level, seeking professional advice would be the best step.

Anonymous
        Lady

This is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!!

Hi Cady as for help i use Youtube a lot as wife dosent use much and is not a lot of help in that department Ha ha  so lots of practice and lots of videos .. As others have said a ultra or sephora would be some good choices there also ..

Stephanie Bass

I also agree, couple weeks back, I tried foundation for the first time. It looked ok to the normal eye, but when I took a selfie, it was terrible 😢.. I am also looking professional CD artists in my country at this time..

Anonymous
      Lady

I agree. I can barely put on lipstick right. I saw it on YouTube. I have a very good friend that has an aunt who sells Mary Kay cosmetics and have a makeover appointment in a few weeks. She is going to do a makeover and show me how to do it. Hopefully I can remember all the steps once I am done and have to do it for myself.

Seeing someone that sells cosmetics out of their house would be good so you don’t have to go to a store and it could be a private session and you could buy all the makeup you need (want).

Anonymous
      Lady

Skin tone is definitely my starting point, how to identify my skin tone as well as how to conceal facial hair (difference between purple and blue or yellow??? Huh?). I’ve learned a lot on YouTube, but all the videos start by assuming that the viewer already knows and understands the nomenclature. What’s worse is I live in a highly conservative old school part of Texas, so walking into my local Ulta for a makeover isn’t really an option, sadly.

Lynda Jones
      Baroness - Annual

Cady, I would try Ultra, there people are great, most young people working at Ultra are very open and supportated. Start by telling them you’re doing a photo shoot and want to smooth out your face, Ultra makeup artist love to show off their skills. I live in backward TN I know what you have to put up with.
      Lynda

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?