Tagged: 

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I have been dressing since I was 5 and now that I am in my early 30s I want to begin purchasing makeup so I can post “passable” photos. I have done makeup trial and error and mostly it is good except I am having trouble finding the right foundation. And it is getting expensive buying foundation and using the trial and error approach. Have any of you gone into an Ulta or Sephora store and asked for makeup advice? I have Googled “How to select the right foundation shade” and answered questions about my undertone, I just can’t seem to find the one. L’Oreal True Match seems to match ok, but it is not great and they have so many shades. Sorry for the lengthy post. Hugs Kelci

It’s not just right foundation, it’s also finding a powder that matches.

Ok that may be one of my issues. I use liquid foundation without powder, but many ladies I talk to use one or the other. With it being close to Halloween I might go to Ulta or Sephora and tell them I am dressing as a girl for Halloween and need to find the proper foundation shade.

Anonymous

I get why you would want to find a “cover story”, but just own it girl. Especially if you want to go back to get more product at the same store! They will figure it out one way or another, but will keep your confidence if you choose to hide.

Despite what the makeup guides say, most women do not bother with foundation.

The just use a liquid or creme makeup on its own, and sometimes a pressed powder.

For myself, the pressed powder is a must.

Thank you for your input Jenifur. I also have learned that using a primer is very helpful. The only 2 liquid foundations I have experimented with are Covergirl Clean and L’Oreal True Match, with the TrueMatch is what I am currently attempting to find the right shade. If you don’t mind me asking which brand of pressed powder do you use?

I have been to Ulta in drab and had a very nice experience. I was looking for corrector because I have a very red complexion, and the consultant there and another customer were very helpful and matter of fact. They were not at all surprised that a man was asking for makeup at all. The customer even told me that she used the same thing the consultant was recommending and it worked very well. All-in-all it was very routine for them and not unpleasant for me. The only shock was the price – almost $40 US for a small amount. I’m sure it was very good quality, but it was not in my budget.

You are right Ulta is not cheap. I feel as if the employees would be more helpful if they were paid on commission, which to my understanding they are not. I intend on making another visit to Ulta soon.

Samantha G…..
      Ambassador

Kelci I need to get a primer as well. I’ve heard many times that is the way to start.

I usually start with concealer on all the dark circles and beard area.

Then foundation and set the foundation with a tinted powder which blends

with my skin-tone better than the foundation does. If your foundation is the right

color you could set it with a neutral or no color powder. I do believe it’s a good

idea to set the foundation which helps it from rubbing off too easy and with any shine.

I’m no expert but that’s what works for me . I order all my makeup online.

I just can’t get the courage to shop for girl stuff in person.

Thank you Samantha! Once I am able to determine my shade of liquid foundation, I will next move to find a pressed powder. To my understanding, the powder that is typically appropriate is the same shade of the liquid foundation you use. And with Halloween (Christmas for Crossdressers) around the corner, I intend on doing some serious makeup shopping and am determined to find the shade of foundation that matches my skin tone.

Anonymous

I have been to Sephora in drag and drab.  The ladies there were wonderful and nary a brow was raised.  I caught more hell from my family who was visiting the time I went in drab.

The only drawback with Sephora is that it is expensive…  and I do mean it is EX-PEN-SIVE!  When I went in drag, I got a full makeover (with the purchase of $50 of product) and the young lady who did the makeover did a phenomenal job!  (See my profile wall posts for the pics).  I have spent near unto $300 on makeup and the like, but have the basics to get by.  Get a mini-makeover, and then do your research.  You should be able to find the same foundation color in a cheaper line than Sephora.  Or drop the cash like its hot, and get everything you need at Sephora…

Like I said, Sephora was phenomenal.  It was explained to me that there were quite a few cross dressers/drag queens who get their makeup and makeup tips at Sephora.

If you have the money, go get made over!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Makeup Shopping Advice’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?