Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Kassie
      Lady

I think it’s only when I started putting on makeup myself, that I begin to realise just how much time and effort the women I knew have been doing all their lives. I used to notice when a girl was wearing lipstick or had elaborate eye-makeup, but anything more subtle just went over my head. It’s only now that I’m aware of all the other things used like foundations, contours, eyebrow pencils, blush, highlights, and how they are really integral to the overall look.

For the last year, I’ve been slowly adding more and more makeup to my dressing, and trying out new looks and combinations. Sometimes I’m really happy with the results I’ve had. Other times I start laughing when I see the clown staring back at me after a makeup fail. But I feel I’m slowly improving each time and can see noticeable improvements (to me anyway.)

But with the progress I make, there are still some things that I feel I’m getting nowhere with, no matter how many times I practice. Does anyone else feel the same, or are there particular parts in your makeup routine you dread for fear of ruining the rest of your effort?

For me, eyeliner is my bug-bear. I’ve looked at so many tutorials and have practiced it so many times, sometimes outside of doing any other makeup. I’m lucky if it resembles even a slightly straight line as most of the time the results are a smudgy mess or for some reason too far away from my eyes that it’s starting to look like warpaint. I’m definitely not at the level where I can do fun things like the feline tail flick at the end. I tried that a few times and it looked like I’d just squirted a splotch of ink at the side of my face. 😅

Anonymous
      Lady

Krissi I had a horrible time with eyeliner myself. I gave up on liquid and tried a very fine brush and black eye shadow. I have had much better luck. I also have had decent luck with just putting a few dots of liquid and using the fine tipped brush to spread it smoothly and create the look I want. All I can say is use a very little amount and practice a LOT. Seems eyeliner is the hardest thing to get right and not look like a raccoon on a binder. Good luck!

🍷C

Jackie
      Ambassador

Perseverance + determination = perfect eyeliner! None of us did it right the first time but just keep trying. Lot’s of applications of makeup on youtube, have fun with it.

Anonymous

I still struggle, but it got a little easier when I bought a lighted makeup mirror with a 15x section. Definitely helps me!

OMG, yes! Eyeliner is something I find really hard too!

At the moment, I’m using a liquid eyeliner pen, like a kind of fine-tipped paintbrush, I apply dots all the way along, then use a fine brush to get the line – and I still smudge it – but if you go for a smoky eye look, like in my profile picture, you can hide the smudging, and get away with so much!

The trick is to put some eyeshadow on the lower lids, to match the top in terms of colour, but to blend it over the eyeliner.

In one live tutorial I watched, a makeup artist used a fine brush to add a thin line of white, just along the lower edge of the black, to make the eyes pop, then added a smoky grey eyeshadow on the lower lids, taking it slightly beyond the corner of the eyes.

It was a lot of work, but so effective!

Since my last makeover, eyes are my big thing to work on – have fun with yours!

Love Laura

Jackie
      Ambassador

[postquote quote=393617]
      Be it days weeks or years when your ready for makeup the beautiful face appears. Lot’s of applications and mistakes will be, your beauty can’t escape thee.

Hello Krissi…

Makeup can be a challenge.

Concerning your eyeliner try placing dots along the lash line and then connect the dots. This avoids trying to draw a line.

Use a good mirror and if you can apply sitting down and resting your elbows on the table for support.

Try a cream eyeliner. Get a flat end brush dip the brush end in the cream pot. Press the brush into the lash line.  You are pressing the cream product in along the lash line. Then a small smudge brush along the line if required.

Hope my ideas help.

We all have our challenges. Mine false eyelashes!!! Don’t get me started…lol

Caroline

I watched some youtube video tutorials of young women applying their tail flicks with their perfect skin. Then I look at my own leathery skin under the magnifying mirror and think “nah”.

But then I saw another tutorial of a woman in her 40s doing the same, and this gave me some hope. It definitely worked for her but my results were comical to say the least. I’ll give it another try, though.

Gives me hope when I see all you beautiful ladies done up so well.
      I’m nervous as hell about starting in on make up, but am also excited to learn this mysterious and magical art.
      We’re all very lucky the Internet exists to save so much trial and error.

Misha Monroe
      Duchess

There’s been some great advice here – like Caroline Ross’s suggestion about a flat edged brush.  The thing is, eyeliner is not applied the same on every eyeshape. From what I can see of your photos, you have gorgeous almond shaped eyes, with hooded eye-lids.  So you need to customize your approach – perhaps concentrating on your lower lash line, smudging with a shade you are using on your upper lid for instance.  Also, you should try using a simple Kohl pencil – maybe Feline from MAC. And apply it to your WATERLINE – that’s the part of the lower lid behind the lash line.  It takes Kohl colour very nicely, and adds a dramatic pop to your eyes.  And I really recommend Wayne Goss’s YouTube tutorials.  He uses himself as the makeup model, and constantly comes up with interesting and creative techniques you won’t find anywhere else.  And he has some very good tutorials on eyelining, and on hooded eyes.  Good luck – Can’t wait to see how your journey continues, Gorgeous!

Kassie
      Lady

Thank you so much for the advice girls. It’s so useful to read different techniques that people do, and also comforting to know I’m not alone in struggling with it.

I have also kinda sorta cheated this week and got myself an eyeliner ruler which is like a slightly curved piece of bendable plastic that you can use to place under your lower lid and then (hopefully) make a fairly good line across. Although it does work to a certain degree when I’ve practiced with it, I’m not sure if it wouldn’t smudge or rub off my foundation underneath when I go to do my full face, so I think I might just choose to go back to trying to manually draw them with my shaky hand and try out some of the techniques you girls have suggested.

I have a rimmel eyeliner pen, as well as eyeliner pencils that I have been practicing with recently. I think I prefer the pencils, although they do smudge a bit more. Several girls have suggested liquid eyeliner, and I love the finished look that it gives, but I have a slight fear of it running. Especially as I know that if I put anything near to my eyes, I start blinking non-stop.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?