- Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman!
- Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down
- July 27, 2021 at 2:15 pm #523916RevelParticipantRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Almost every night I like to turn up the volume on my CD player and dance while listening to these two great songs! I know that many of our CD and TG sisters like them, but which one do you like better? Please listen to both songs (if you haven’t already) and vote now, and leave a reply. Thank you.
- September 10, 2021 at 7:14 pm #541737
- August 25, 2021 at 5:34 pm #535506RevelBaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Another vote for Taylor Swift! Currently she would need seventy more votes to be even with Shania! 😯
- September 3, 2021 at 9:41 pm #538990Stephanie HayesLadyRegistered On: December 14, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 92Has thanked: 60 timesBeen thanked: 231 times
lol most here wont know Swifty’s songs, let alone watched the vidz. As one of the eldest Millennials, I can say TS does a much better song and vid.
- September 4, 2021 at 2:14 pm #539226RevelBaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
I believe that just looking at the voting results. 😮
Currently Shania has 80 more votes than Taylor! Thank you for voting, and I’m glad to see Taylor got another vote.
- August 25, 2021 at 11:28 am #535335
- August 23, 2021 at 2:25 pm #534527Samara WilsonBaronessRegistered On: July 29, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 344Has thanked: 1146 timesBeen thanked: 1093 times
- August 23, 2021 at 2:43 pm #534539BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Finally another vote for Taylor! Thank you my friend for sharing and voting. 😀
1 user thanked author for this post.
- August 22, 2021 at 9:18 pm #534247
- August 22, 2021 at 5:56 pm #534166
- August 22, 2021 at 3:06 pm #534110BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
The voting continues. Shania’s song has over sixty votes compared to only one vote for Taylor’s song! Although I’m more of a Shania Twain fan, and like her song better, I also like Taylor Swift’s song, and I wouldn’t mind seeing more votes for her. I know there are some Taylor Swift fans out there too! Thank you for voting, sisters.
- August 22, 2021 at 3:18 pm #534113T.J. ByronDuchessRegistered On: October 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 452Has thanked: 5296 timesBeen thanked: 1973 times
What about comparing Aretha’ s ” NATURAL WOMAN ” With Shaia’ s ” I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN “…Start that Polling….could be interesting!
Love you girl…
1 user thanked author for this post.
- August 1, 2021 at 12:31 am #525708Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 29Replies: 1362Has thanked: 4233 timesBeen thanked: 6470 times
I have never liked the Shania Twain song, as it reinforces gender stereotypes, seems melodically artificial, and the beat doesn’t catch a fire in my feet – it rather puts it out!
Not that I’m a dancer, but this song is usually my cue for the bar, restroom or smoking lounge.
I don’t know the Taylor Swift one, but the little I’ve heard of her suggests it’s likely to get my vote – the lyrics I’ve heard seem crafted and beyond the superficial.
I’ll take a listen and return…
- July 30, 2021 at 1:15 pm #525038Heather JamesonDuchessRegistered On: April 1, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 698Has thanked: 1430 timesBeen thanked: 2638 times
- July 30, 2021 at 9:17 pm #525245BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Me too! I own a DVD with the Man! I Feel Like a Woman! music video, and love to hear it with my speaker bar. It sounds awesome!
I remember the night when I revealed to my Daddy that I’m a CD, I played it, and later when I revealed to my Mommy that I’m a CD, I did the same. They really liked it. So Shania has a special place in my heart.
- July 30, 2021 at 12:13 pm #525019
- July 30, 2021 at 11:11 am #525005BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Wow. Shania is really taking the lead, but I’m not surprised. It’s a great song, and must be loved by many here on CDH. However, I know there are a lot of Taylor fans out there too.
- July 30, 2021 at 1:20 am #524871Val’sheril StarsongLadyRegistered On: March 3, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 383Has thanked: 264 timesBeen thanked: 866 times
Short answer, neither. Not my genre. I’m more a Natural Woman girl. Preferably the Me First and the Gimme Gimmes version.
I’ll be honest, I had to look up You Need to Calm Down. And I tried to give it a fair shake, I really did. But honestly… not her best work. And particularly as portrayed in the video it comes across as a bit condescending and lowest-common-denominator caricaturization of the other side, which is something somebody at some point needs to rise above (I speak as a fundamentalist Christian as well as a long-time CD). If we’re going Taylor Swift, give me Style any day. Or her cover of Mumford and Sons’ White Blank Page… absolutely brilliant.
So Shania? I mean the song has soundtracked nearly as many CD videos as Dude Looks Like a Lady. And I’m certain it’s an empowering song. However I can’t help but feel we as CDs (as the group I can by rights address; trans is its own thing I will withhold any value judgments on) may be stealing the thunder of a song meant to empower GGs. One could validly argue with the ironic use of the word “man” it was within the writer’s intent, but frankly… in my mind at least that’s the only thing memorable about the song. Which as a songwriter myself… again, I want more than that.
Sorry, I know these tunes are iconic for a lot of us girls, but that’s my two cents.
- July 30, 2021 at 10:50 am #524996BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Ouch! Yes, the songs in this poll that I started are iconic to a lot of us girls, and the poll was started so you can vote and comment which song you like better – not explain why you dislike them. Although you don’t have to like either song, please stay on topic.
- July 28, 2021 at 10:04 am #524259TerriDuchessRegistered On: May 17, 2016Topics: 0Replies: 202Has thanked: 214 timesBeen thanked: 653 times
I remember one time I went into a hair salon to get my hair done. I had never been there before and asked for a blow style. I didn’t have an appointment. The girl said it would be about 20 min. I said ok. When I was called the hairdresser put the Shanna Twain song on. I smiled and said nice song. She smiled and gave me a nice style.
- July 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm #524315BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Thanks for sharing, Terri.
Last week I was at work, and my local radio station played “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!” and because I’m in charge of the audio where I work, I turned up the volume louder just for that song!
I will do it again if they play it again, and I will do the same thing if my local radio station plays “You Need To Calm Down” sisters. I don’t call myself “Revel” for no reason. Girl power!
- July 28, 2021 at 5:18 am #524163Wendy SwiftLadyRegistered On: May 11, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 614Has thanked: 548 timesBeen thanked: 2643 times
- July 28, 2021 at 12:55 am #524103Rachel HayesLadyRegistered On: January 20, 2021Topics: 10Replies: 145Has thanked: 649 timesBeen thanked: 750 times
It’s Shania every day of the week for me. Bit spooky actually as I was listening to her Come On Over album before I even clicked on this thread.
What is this “CD player” device you speak of? I thought music was delivered via Spotify and WiFi speakers. *giggles*
- July 30, 2021 at 12:06 pm #525017WilmaLadyRegistered On: July 24, 2021Topics: 10Replies: 142Has thanked: 761 timesBeen thanked: 545 times
If you like horror stories I can tell you all about “Cassette’s & Vinyl”…lol
- July 28, 2021 at 7:24 am #524197BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
I own the Come On Over album too! My favorite songs on it are: Man! I Feel Like A Woman!, I’m Holdin’ On To Love, From This Moment On, When, That Don’t Impress Me Much, and Rock This Country! I own a Sony CD player that has a Mega Bass Port, and I absolutely love it!
- July 28, 2021 at 12:27 am #524094Sandra JamesLadyRegistered On: December 27, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 20Has thanked: 227 timesBeen thanked: 148 times
- July 28, 2021 at 12:12 am #524085Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 120Replies: 2824Has thanked: 10449 timesBeen thanked: 16017 times
I love Taylor Swift…and her last two albums were simply stunning…..
but hey….hang on a minute….not this time Taylor.
Shania’s song is a one off CD anthem….there really is no contest….man, we ALL feel like a woman !!!!
- July 27, 2021 at 7:22 pm #524029Birel GalanodelLadyRegistered On: May 3, 2020Topics: 19Replies: 288Has thanked: 751 timesBeen thanked: 1408 times
Well, I almost said Shania right away. But, after watching the video for You Need To Calm Down, I’m not so sure. Ok, I understand that she is cashing in on Pride. But, ultimately, it’s still more LGBTQ+ inclusion in media, which is a good thing.
That being said, I do feel like You Need To Calm Down doesn’t have the staying power of Man I Feel Like A Woman, which I feel like I will always relate to on a personal level.
- July 28, 2021 at 7:06 am #524188
- July 27, 2021 at 7:19 pm #524026Alice BlackDuchessRegistered On: January 18, 2020Topics: 9Replies: 225Has thanked: 420 timesBeen thanked: 617 times
- July 27, 2021 at 7:59 pm #524046
- July 27, 2021 at 6:23 pm #523988Olivia LivinDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: October 22, 2018Topics: 51Replies: 1700Has thanked: 8781 timesBeen thanked: 4730 times
- July 27, 2021 at 6:47 pm #524002
- July 27, 2021 at 5:41 pm #523974Chelly KrossLadyRegistered On: April 21, 2019Topics: 12Replies: 244Has thanked: 344 timesBeen thanked: 813 times
- July 27, 2021 at 2:35 pm #523928Abbie NormalDuchessRegistered On: June 13, 2021Topics: 10Replies: 472Has thanked: 835 timesBeen thanked: 1687 times
- July 27, 2021 at 2:25 pm #523923DuchessRegistered On: October 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 452Has thanked: 5296 timesBeen thanked: 1973 times
- July 27, 2021 at 2:29 pm #523925BaronessRegistered On: December 5, 2020Topics: 6Replies: 221Has thanked: 413 timesBeen thanked: 769 times
Although I like them both, Shania got my vote. I once read that Shania Twain inspired Taylor Swift to become a singer. Thanks for voting and sharing girlfriend.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.