Tagged: ,

Viewing 14 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Perse
      Lady

Lots of people say that they have a wide preference for music.And lots of them do. I do as well.

Last weekend I met up with some old friends and we went out and had a few drinks and stuff.

We were not in uniform or anything but it was almost all tee shirts, denim and boots and no I did not rock up in some fabulous outfit.

It did get me thinking  though.

Last wekend I was quite happy listening to Punk,Ska ,Swamp rock and any sort of stuff, dressed in tees denim and boots

This weekend I am dressed in a silk dress Stockings and heels.

I am sipping Chenin Blanc and listening to Melody Gardot

Quelle difference

Does anyone else notice  a musical difference when they go en femme

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

Yes.. male me is an old broken down rocker who likes to think he can bang out a few chords on his electric guitar… (Maton.. great “Oz made brand”.)

Caty loves and has an I Pod play list of “soft sentimental songs” by female artists such as Diana Krall, Roberta Flack Linda Rondstadt,  and others, (especially Linda’s  “Nelson Riddle orchestra  “torch” songs” period.)

This gets played as she transforms from “gnarly old geezer”, to mature, elegant, (she hopes) senior lady.

Caty.

Perse
        Lady

In my circles I am the one who has traditionally made the mixtapes for everyone. A while back I made a CD for my sister of only Female voices. Her other sisters, feeling left out also had to get their own personal CDs as well. I really enjoyed the process though of choosing a playlist specifically for someone within defined parameters. Enough to burn on to a CD, 15 to 20 songs.

Some of the other women in my life also wanted a bit of this too. I never really realised how many women I have in my life up to then so I started making a more generic  selection of  tunes for all. Same parameters though, female voices, And only tunes that I might listen to, So there was no Beyonce or Adele or people like that. They seem to have gone over well though as I am up to a Femmes 9 already. One release per year

The real point though is in the process of choosing stuff for a totally female audience. I had to connect with that other part of me that was not into beer and rock’n’roll. The part where Perse came from.  I really like that side of me. A kinder, gentler side which I hope is coming more to the fore in my everyday life. My SO might not agree as she thinks I am turning into a grumpy old git.

One can dream though

Gnarly?  If you don’t like “ The fist time ever I saw your face”  then you have never deeply loved someone. You tell them  Caty.   I like many different kinds of music from classical to The Beach Boys to George Strait.   When I asked my oldest friend  what song reminded him of me, he immediately said “409”.  “ nothing can catch her, nothing can touch my 409.”  Look it up children.   Don’t care where I’m at or what I’m wearing, from  the Marriage of Figaro to You Don’t have to Call Me Darlin,  just  crank it up.

It doesn’t so much change as I allow a little secret of mine to come to the surface. As my male self, I do not dance – much too shy. However as the far more uninhibited Kris I get to enjoy that activity as much as I please, both publicly and privately.  Latin – tinged popular dance music a particular favorite. I even get to indulge my guilty-pleasure of disco much more than I did when it was very popular, and my love of 60s-70s Motown/R&B is now greatly enhanced. Besides,  as Kris I feel I have free reign to do all the female dance moves I like, and it feels great to cut loose!

Perse
        Lady

I understand. Perse had a couple of little dances around the kitchen last night when Spotify threw out a few little Latin tunes. Also I think she is a better dancer than her alter ego

No

J J
      Lady

No, but my expression of the music does. When en femme I tend to be looser and to dancer around the house and just move with the music. En homme, I just listen and sit there.

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

Well I’m trans so there’s only one persona listening….and probably dancing.  That might be indie, alt, grunge, industrial, goth, shoegaze, house, electronica, trip hop, or whatever.  Even when I had 2 distinct personas, my tastes didn’t change with my outfit.

IRL, I’ve noticed that the music most women listen to is no different than what guys listen to.  The genre will change, but the ratio stays pretty even.  I’ve been to hundreds of shows and spent countless hours in dance clubs.  It’s always been a pretty even mix.

I’d offer that it’s okay to blur the lines.  If Jane likes Lizzo so can John.  And there’s no reason Jane can’t steal a few tracks from John’s Deerhunter albums.

/EA

Perse
        Lady

I don’t really mean that the 2 personas have actual different tastes in music. Your personal taste goes right to one’s core. I think it is more to do with the change of mood one feels when you go from drab to en femme.
        Obviously as trans you are en femme 24/7. There is no switch. I just mean that I am listening to a certain part of my musical collection rather than another. I don’t have to be in a dress to like Melody Gardot but at the same time I didn’t want to listen to Motorhead when I was in heels and a gorgeous dress. It would have ruined the mood. I was in my zone.
        I find dressing en femme has a very calming effect on me obviously outside of the anxiety of getting caught so the music I listen then just reflects this.
        Hope I have explained my reason for my original post.
        xx

Emily Alt
          Managing Ambassador

You didn’t have to explain but thank you!  Our musical choices and the ways we enjoy them are entirely a personal matter.  No right or wrong answers.  I was merely giving my perspective.  BTW listening to Motorhead while wearing stilettos and a short leather dress sounds like a lot of fun!

/EA

Perse
            Lady

Listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees ATM. En femme. Maybe it was just the extremes between 2 weekends that got me thinking. Stilettos and a short leather dress could bring their own fun with or without music.

xx

Emily Alt
            Managing Ambassador

Black.  Everything.  Of course!

Love Siouxsie!

Perse
            Lady

You have just put a very nice image into my head.

Thank you

xx

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

I like a wide variety of music from around the world but at heart I’m an old rock & roller. Most everything from Chubby Checker up through the Black Keys gets me going whether I’m drab or dressed.

Perse
        Lady

I think I may have been a bit blunt in my Question.In hindsight , maybe I should have rephrased it. My wee chat with Emily (below) might give a closer picture to what I meant.

I am kinda fellow traveller with you on the old rock’n’roller bit maybe a bit closer to old r&b for me but surely siblings. I still don’t know how contempory R&B is related to the old stuff never mind the British version. Some young person will surely explain it to me some day

xx

Samantha R
      Duchess

Not for me, I can listen to Grateful Dead or Adele and appreciate both. I am also a Bluegrass music fan.
      It matters not if I am wearing a dress or not!

Somebody else that loves the Dead and Bluegrass!! Yippee! Jerry started playing Bluegrass.

I like what I like. How I’m dressed makes no difference. It’s mostly rock, but I love old fashioned Rock N Roll. I used to be a Mod in the 80s so I’m a huge fan of the Kinks, Small Faces, The Who. I love the Blues. I like some jazz. Carole King saved me. When I was at my lowest, in my well of depression, Carole King’s Tapestry saved me. Seriously it did. I’m not sure I’d be here if it wasn’t for Tapestry.
      Obviously, mood changes. At the moment I’m listening to Early Kinks, but how I’m presenting makes no difference…. I think the only difference would be karaoke…. My go-to song is Proud Mary… Drab mode, it’s the original CCR version. Cerys mode, it has to be Tina!

Cerys

Michelle Wayne
        Duchess - Annual

If we could only look like Tina!

Good taste

Gotta love the Kinks, & Ray Davies is still at it at 78 years old!  And we can’t forget Lola!

Anonymous
      Lady

My first comment please go easy 😊

I have a wide taste in music but all comes back ultimately to rock.
      The only change that occurs isn’t what im listening to it’s what thoughts it provokes. Back in the 80s when I was in my early 20s I would have loved to be a rock chick, now I’m out in the open as Kay I do tend to brood on what could have been. Just too old now for the leathers lol,

I have wide ranging musical tastes, from indie to free jazz, punk to irish folk. I don’t notice a change whether I’m en femme or drab. That said, there is some music that always seems to bring Nikki out: classical. Doesn’t matter if it’s Mendelssohn or Mussorgsky, give me an allegro, and Nikki is off to the races!

Like many here, I have diverse musical tastes, but my chore playlist is mostly “girly pop”, I’m not sure that there’s a relationship to the fact that I usually do my chores dressed, or if it’s just that this playlist is songs that have an upbeat tempo that helps me keep going on things I don’t really want to do

Michelle Wayne
      Duchess - Annual

I love this question. Thanks you asking/sharing it. I don’t think I notice a difference as I pretty much like many types of music as it appears many others do. I will say Michael can not dance at all but I think Michelle could go at it for hours. I don’t notice differences while presenting female in any form of entertainment but certainly do in other ways.

Oh yes. My whole persona is so much different. I went out and about today as Jenny. First time in years. Just a drive to a quiet country park.

I was shaking like a leaf on a tree in a windstorm!

But to get back to the question at hand. Yes. I find most everything about me changes when I let Jenny take over.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Jenny Lynn.

Interesting question. I don’t think my musical preferences change when dressed. I’ve got an eclectic taste in music and what I listen to varies significantly for day to day, or even hour to hour.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?