Viewing 12 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I’m getting to the point where am I wanting to try working on presenting a more polished (pun not intended) appearance to my hands. However, I have these nasty vertical ridges on my nails.

Any recommendations on how to treat them, fill them in, whatever….so that when I go to apply polish it comes out nice and smooth?

Hi Lillith,

You might want to buff your nails before you polish them.

– Robyn

I don’t bother with doing my nails: no one looks anyway

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I picked up a lot of tips by getting manicure/pedicure and paying close attention to the nail tech.

You can learn a lot by watching…

good luck out there!

xoxo

Rayna

ChloeC
      Duchess

Hi Lillith, well, like you I have those nasty ridges, and as winter and dryer air comes, so does the cracking or splitting of my nails right at the ridges.  This past summer, in the nice humidity, I was able to let some of them grow, not to model length, but much longer than I normally see them because of the ridges and I was a little more careful (all I have to do is bump my hand, fingers extended, and there goes one of my nails, having to cut it all the way back or the split will just extend, yuch!).  In fact, looking at all 10 fingers right now, I can already tell where the ridge splits will take place <sigh>. One of our daughters who lives out of state is a licensed nail tech, and I keep forgetting to ask her what I should do.  Next time we’re down there (later this winter) I’ll definitely ask and share her thoughts.

Hugs, ChloëC

Mia Mor’e
      Baroness

Buff your nails daily. Eventually the ridges will go away.

I, too, have those horrible vertical ridges. A good friend on CDH recommended I try the “O·P·I Brilliance” block, so I bought one at Amazon. It’s as light as a feather and didn’t seem to be abrasive enough to sand down these very pronounced ridges I have. I was skeptical.

But with a little bit of buffing work on each nail, I was surprised how well it worked (at least, for me). Buff each nail hard in a horizontal motion using the most abrasive side (the light blue side), then polish with the “white side”.

I actually had to STOP using the product because it made my nails TOO smooth and shiny!! You see, I’m ultra-closeted and stealth to my family, and one day my mother commented on how shiny my nails were!! I went home and immediately roughed up my nails with fine sandpaper, really screwing them up! But I just can’t risk having girly-looking fingernails while drab.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Camryn! Order placed and should have on Monday. Looking forward to smooth nails! 🙂

Hope that works for you, Lillith!

It is working like a charm, Camryn, thank you!

And I see your point about the shiny on the nails.

I love it!

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

You can also try acrylic press-on or glue-on nails to cover up the ridges.

I just worry that those nasty ridges would interfere with how when glue on nails would adhere.

It’s surprising how good those Kiss Barely Bare glue on nails work…

Sometimes I will use one of the fine sanding blocks (can’t remember the brand name), but I suspect that they are all pretty similar. However, if done too often it will thin the nail too much and weaken it.

I find the the ESSIE products fill pretty well. With their base cost, 2 coats of polish and a quick setting coat, everything self-levels and the result is quite even…

If it’s still around, Nail Tek ridge filling base coat works for me. Even on its own with no other polish, it hides the ridges on my nails.

I have the ridges. But one nail splits with the length of the nail. Have been using a false nail to keep it from splitting to far. Any advice would be appreciated. Hugs, Allysa

J J
      Lady

Buffing and then apply a clear polish. It is not too obvious, but protects the nails, and with time reduces broken and split nails. I had a full length crack on a toe nail that I couldn’t resolve. It would partially grow out, then split again all the way to the cuticle. The above solved the issue.

Hi Lil-
      Most of us get that. It’s an aging thing.

There are supplements that may help.
      File, buff, file, buff…as the others have suggested.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?