- September 6, 2021 at 4:00 am #539758Jillian FParticipantRegistered On: May 19, 2021Topics: 4Replies: 96Has thanked: 240 timesBeen thanked: 323 times
I want to say nails is something that takes some getting use to.
So I have let my natural nails grow long but I am not good at painting them. So I thought I would try some fake press on nails. I tried the press on gel nail and I liked them. Only a few issues. The nails were not wide enough for my thumb nails.
I really liked them overall. My hands and finger look good with nails.
So what have ya’ll tried? Any suggestions?
Just looking for ideas.
- This topic was modified 1 week ago by Jillian F.
- September 15, 2021 at 8:30 pm #544140Mika MaloneDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: November 11, 2020Topics: 52Replies: 898Has thanked: 2171 timesBeen thanked: 3481 times
Honestly, I have never used fakes. There is a bit of pride in growing them myself. Painting takes practice, too. I have dived head first into nail art. I can definitely use more practice painting with my left hand. I have a nail art gallery here, as well.
- This reply was modified 3 days ago by Mika Malone.
- September 14, 2021 at 7:27 pm #543664Carmen CruzLadyRegistered On: September 12, 2021Topics: 4Replies: 20Has thanked: 37 timesBeen thanked: 94 times
For toes I make sure they’re just clean and trimmed and always have a clear gloss over them. In guy mode I’m always in flip-flops and nobody seems to notice. In girl mode in heels, the clear gives them sparkle and I feel it’s good enough for the cute effect.
As far as hands, I use press-on/glue-on nails. I found a bunch of sets at Winco (of all places lol), so I bought the entire rack for a dollar a package. That was a find. I have enough for months and months, so I don’t really worry about destroying them for removal.
Typically however, one of those wood nail cleaning picks found in most nail sets will pop them off easily without hurting the plastic (I just wedge it between the tip of my real nail and the fake nail as long as I didn’t glue all the way across, there’s always a tiny space I can get to underneath). Pops right off after finding that little spot!
- September 8, 2021 at 7:31 am #540575
- September 7, 2021 at 7:54 pm #540417Alison AndersonDuchessRegistered On: October 15, 2018Topics: 8Replies: 583Has thanked: 374 timesBeen thanked: 2429 times
I have a similar problem that I would need to use a “woman’s size big toe” fake nail to cover my thumb. It has never been worth it to me.
However, one time, while keeping my nails long, I ended up with a vertical tear in my right thumb nail about half way down the nail. Nail glue didn’t hold, and it was too easy to catch and I was afraid it would keep ripping the split. Not to mention the nail bed was sore under the split. I went to the nail salon and they mixed a powder with a liquid and painted a new nail on (actually beyond and then filed back with a small electric grinding wheel) to protect the nail until it grew out. I’m not sure if it was a gel nail or an acrylic, but that sucker was hard. It was difficult when it grew out to trim, and it was difficult when eventually it came time for me to remove, even soaking it for a few minutes in nail polish remover. Whatever it was, it protected the nail until the split grew out.
So for a while, I had, on one nail, a semi-permanent fake nail.
- September 7, 2021 at 10:33 am #540261Diana StocktonLadyRegistered On: September 6, 2015Topics: 0Replies: 11Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 29 times
If you go to this other forum I posted that I used Sally’s extra large.
I get mine at Sally’s Beauty supply. Perfect Fit Plus size nails You have to paint them but they fit well. https://www.sallybeauty.com/nails/acrylic-nails/precision-fit-plus-size-natural-nail-tips/SBS-202140.html?…
I color them off the hand them trim to fit.
- September 6, 2021 at 10:43 pm #540086Caty RyanBaronessRegistered On: August 27, 2017Topics: 97Replies: 916Has thanked: 6 timesBeen thanked: 3345 times
Fake here, mostly cos my 70 plus year old nails look like a farmers ploughed fields
I cantwear them for more that 24hrs tops, so first I use the little double sided sticky pads, then glue the false nails to them. They slide off when the time comes to take them off. For thumbnails, I try to finf the false “big toe” nails for females
- September 6, 2021 at 10:45 pm #540087Jillian FLadyRegistered On: May 19, 2021Topics: 4Replies: 96Has thanked: 240 timesBeen thanked: 323 times
They make fake nails for toes too, or did I read that wrong?
- September 6, 2021 at 12:41 pm #539912KathleenDuchessRegistered On: February 20, 2020Topics: 7Replies: 240Has thanked: 794 timesBeen thanked: 879 times
- September 6, 2021 at 12:22 pm #539900Ellie HopeBaronessRegistered On: October 3, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 126Has thanked: 206 timesBeen thanked: 477 times
I started out painting them, but am also not so good at it. Much better results after I started going to the solons, but still, the normal polish didn’t hold up well and neither did my nails, which tend to split and tear easily, especially with the activities I enjoy.
A few months ago, I had a good solon add extensions, then build the nails up with a hardening phone aste material they use. Over that, they applied UV curing acrylic Gel paint, two coats followed by a third clear top coat. Each coat was cured under UV light so no waiting to dry. These nails are much, much stronger and look good for a long time. Fills are required every two to four weeks depending on how fast your nails grow and it is pricey, but mine have held the up very well to lots of abuse. The fills are less expensive than the original application, but after a couple of fills, I will have to start over.
Previously, I had also tried glue on nails, and was able to find sets of blanks (unfinished) in wider sizes that correctly fit. My daughter applied conventional polish to these and they looked good for about a week, then started popping off my fingers. I have not been able to find prefinished press-on nails wide enough for fingers and have Never tried them
In summary, I am still undecided which way to go in the long run, but will continue with the reinforced acrylics as long as I can afford it. I love painted nails with a little extension to them. It helps me feel feminine.
- September 6, 2021 at 11:42 am #539875Amber ScottDuchessRegistered On: June 30, 2019Topics: 5Replies: 135Has thanked: 183 timesBeen thanked: 548 times
Love my real nails. While I’m surfing the web or watching videos on YouTube I’m usually shaping, polishing and painting my nails. I find it’s the perfect way to spend some down time.
Be safe. Love and Peace.
- September 6, 2021 at 11:25 am #539868Kelly TerryDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: February 26, 2018Topics: 26Replies: 317Has thanked: 356 timesBeen thanked: 1298 times
While most of the time I have my real nails it’s mostly because I can’t really have bright red nails for any length of time. While I work from home we do way to many videocalls to not be exposed (it’s so easy to scratch that itch on the face to hide), and on weekends I have videocalls with family so just as bad then.
I am trying to at least grow my real nails but they are thin and tend to snag in things all the time despite that I have a nail file to fix issues within reach most of the time.
I do have some fake nails and once when I could put them on I loved the feeling of it. They weren’t extremely long but long enough to give me the feeling. Later when it got closer to the time that I had to take them of I first cut them down to the tip of the finger and it still gave me a good feeling.
- September 6, 2021 at 10:01 am #539854T.J. ByronDuchessRegistered On: October 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 452Has thanked: 5296 timesBeen thanked: 1973 times
I am abit ” shaky” at 75…so, what I have found for me, the Night Before going out, I paint, in bed, using my bedside table. I love all the “reds” colors.
I have all the stuff to press on, but, for me it’s so easy just to paint.
Toes are always red.
Love and good luck with your nails!!
- September 6, 2021 at 9:34 am #539847Stephanie BassPrincess - AnnualRegistered On: November 30, 2019Topics: 13Replies: 2186Has thanked: 27880 timesBeen thanked: 7190 times
Hi Jillian as just mentioned to Miss Lisa T i cant wear polish except when Stephanie comes over on the weekends as per wife no polish on toes or hands have to be removed for work .. But to make it easyier i use glue on nails on fingers and paint toes for the weekend as now typing this i keep looking at my pretty fingers and just smile.. Work keeps them broken or torn pretty much all the time so a glue on type for the weekend as Stephanie makes my day complete he he hugs girl..
- September 6, 2021 at 9:21 am #539841Raquel SmithLadyRegistered On: August 26, 2021Topics: 4Replies: 118Has thanked: 412 timesBeen thanked: 333 times
Real nails aren’t an option. 1) my nail tips are thin and I have to keep them at a short (read manly) length or risk tears; 2) varnish, clear or colored are not an option, because I’m not out of the closet around the house; 3) and even if, too much work.
Temporary press-on look very nice, imho, and would have to be closely inspected to tell they weren’t real. I don’t have a problem with size. I have relatively small hands.
And I don’t need any comments about small hands and small you-know-whats. 😁
- September 6, 2021 at 11:44 am #539879
- September 6, 2021 at 8:38 am #539829Sandy CraigLadyRegistered On: March 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 296Has thanked: 268 timesBeen thanked: 722 times
Faux for me on fingers. Toes painted if visible on the day I go out.
I’m very happy doing this and it’s super fast. I keep 10 to 15 sets in different colors and make my choice after I’m dressed.
I buy bulk Nailene brand with 200 nails. Yes most are way to small but the cost of the pack is pretty low. Typically get 6 or 7 full sets that I paint whatever colors I like. Depending on how much time you want to spend you can file/shape to your exact nail size or as I do, find a close size and go with it.
For attaching I use the Nailene adhesive tabs. Make sure your nails (and painted nails) are super clean and dry before you apply. I would estimate 5 or 6 minutes to do it all. If careful when removing and cleaning you can reuse these many times. Positive I have some I’ve worn at least 10 times and as a side note once used they always have some sticky to them and work better then when new. If you lightly abrade the underside before using the first time it can help but not required.
- September 6, 2021 at 9:45 am #539849T.J. ByronDuchessRegistered On: October 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 452Has thanked: 5296 timesBeen thanked: 1973 times
Hey Sandy Girl….
Looking forward to lunch at Black Angeus, even if it’s just US, Few other friends, let’s do it…!
Looking forward hearing from you….
Love to you…
- September 6, 2021 at 9:51 am #539852Stephanie BassPrincess - AnnualRegistered On: November 30, 2019Topics: 13Replies: 2186Has thanked: 27880 timesBeen thanked: 7190 times
- September 6, 2021 at 10:10 am #539858T.J. ByronDuchessRegistered On: October 18, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 452Has thanked: 5296 timesBeen thanked: 1973 times
Yes, still alive and well…just living life in WASHINGTON, with the families of our kids.
Out and about all the time…
Love to you Stephanie…
- September 6, 2021 at 8:05 am #539823Stephanie AstonBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: May 31, 2018Topics: 1Replies: 52Has thanked: 265 timesBeen thanked: 228 times
I also had size issues with fake nails so do my best to keep my natural nails neat and tidy, I do have occasional issues with chipping or splitting nails so I’m also taking a Biotin supplement.
regular maintenance is essential and I do a regular file, buff and polish.
Things to avoid. DIY, gardening, working on your car 😂
- September 6, 2021 at 8:14 am #539825MartiBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 33Replies: 495Has thanked: 1959 timesBeen thanked: 2004 times
- September 6, 2021 at 7:46 am #539820Michelle McQueenLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 404Has thanked: 1511 timesBeen thanked: 1963 times
I’ve never found false nails that were wide enough for my man thumbs so I’ve grown them out naturally a couple of times. It does take a lot of care to get any length on them without breaking one or two. I polish with clear gloss and have grown nice French style nails before but they don’t last very long and then I have to cut back and keep growing for length again. Does anyone know of a clear matte polish? I’m so envious of GG’s salon nails.
- September 6, 2021 at 7:31 pm #540064
- September 6, 2021 at 7:33 am #539816Deborah SullivanDuchessRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 718Has thanked: 3094 timesBeen thanked: 2922 times
- September 6, 2021 at 7:14 am #539809
- September 6, 2021 at 6:42 am #539801Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 33Replies: 495Has thanked: 1959 timesBeen thanked: 2004 times
For me it used to go in fits and starts, Bitten or chewed off or picked at, to unkempt gloriously long nails.
Of late (i.e. since coming on here, lol) I’m being a lot more attentive, and they stay long and (clearly most times) varnished. It’s not all easy street with natural nails. As they get longer , the chances of breaking go up and up until, whoops there goes another. So I never have an even length set. I’ve also learned that the slightest ‘snag’ needs immediate attention, or it will just get worse. And even if you don’t actually bite, nails and mouths should never meet!
I give them a rest from varnish every so often, I think Grace gave me that tip, and Beth mentioned vitamins – Biotin – recently, so I’m giving that a whirl too.
But if you’ve got short nails, it can seem forever until they grow through, and the type of job you do, or partners, or circumstances etc, might make natural long nails not an option. In which case, you have my blessings to ‘fake away’ !!! If you’ve never ever had long nails you might be pleasantly surprised at how they make you feel.
- September 6, 2021 at 7:29 pm #540061LadyRegistered On: May 19, 2021Topics: 4Replies: 96Has thanked: 240 timesBeen thanked: 323 times
Like I said in another reply I have and grow long strong nail that I have no biting or other damage to. It’s just every day live does not allow for them to stick around very long. Plus I cannot paint them to save my life. I get paint all over…lol.
But I do love the long nails. Te ones I’m wearing now are stick on about 3/4 inch long and just lovely. They complete my hands perfectly. I just have to get use to touching thing and picking things up differently.
- September 6, 2021 at 10:33 pm #540082Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 33Replies: 495Has thanked: 1959 timesBeen thanked: 2004 times
That’s really good Jillian,
I really wish I would follow my own advice more often, lol, but there’s a lot to be said for ‘practice makes perfect’. Whichever direction a girl takes, keep at it and see where you’re at in a few months’ time.
I’ve noticed that some gg’s I come into contact with, who have self painted nails, aren’t always so precise in their application. I guess that’s one reason why nail salons and bars can make a profit.
- September 6, 2021 at 6:28 am #539798Rebecca ClaytonLadyRegistered On: August 13, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 46Has thanked: 72 timesBeen thanked: 181 times
So after a few tries with fake nails I am going to spend my time and attention to taking care of my natural nails. While I loved the look of the fake nails I spent quite a bit of time in the process. Prepping my real nails, sizing, gluing (I used nail glue), clipping, filing, painting. Then to remove them was an even longer process. I had to soak them in at least 98% acetone to get them off, resultingin a bit of a mess. This would take several hours to complete the whole process. And as Carolyne stated earlier it has been very rough on my natural nail bed. I haven’t tried press on. I may try them at some point, but I will no longer use nail glue.
All that being said I am going to start caring for my natural nails and hopefully get good results.
- September 6, 2021 at 5:54 am #539791Carolyne ShermanDuchessRegistered On: February 20, 2018Topics: 10Replies: 469Has thanked: 343 timesBeen thanked: 1741 times
Jillian I have over the years become a big fan of longer natural nails. I keep them well manicured and use a strengthening clear coat all the time. The coating gives them a nice shine and the length makes them look quite feminine. I have never had any negative comments even in man drag. My only two problems are chipping which sucks and makes me cut or file back an occasional nail and work gloves, which make them soft and tear. I do try to take care of them and my beloved wifey loves having me scratch her back with them when her bra chafes and leaves her itching from it. I can also put pretty colored polish on them when I am dressing nice and have time or for special occasions without having to do anything extra and then clean it off easily later.
As for fake nails, I have used them but found they were hard on my natural nail bed and made them very susceptible to damage so I quit using them. They also are a pain to remove and clean up my nails when I am done with them. I do like their look when I plan on wearing them for several days, but that doesn’t happen to often so natural nails work best for me. Have a lovely day.
- September 6, 2021 at 5:34 am #539782LisaTLadyRegistered On: January 31, 2021Topics: 92Replies: 1177Has thanked: 1162 timesBeen thanked: 5789 times
I have real nails. It’s taken time and a great deal of attention to detail to get them. They need protection and care. The corners and edges which are prone to breaking and tearing need rounding down and smoothing. Slowly the tips grow longer and I have nice nails.
I have used fake nails. It’s difficult but not impossible to get sets with extra wide large nails in but there are lots of wasted smaller nails. Plus they always seem to fall off at the most in opportune moments.
take the time and grow your own it’s well worth it.
- September 6, 2021 at 7:21 pm #540060
- September 6, 2021 at 5:07 am #539775Jennifer LynnLadyRegistered On: August 15, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 278Has thanked: 118 timesBeen thanked: 1499 times
- September 6, 2021 at 4:55 am #539772Jenn DressLadyRegistered On: July 5, 2021Topics: 0Replies: 8Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 46 times
I wear the fake nails because I can,t wear nail polish very often because of work. with the fake nail I can use over and over. I have the nails already polish in a number of my favorite colours they work for me
- September 6, 2021 at 7:17 pm #540058
- September 6, 2021 at 4:24 am #539765Diane RakersBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: August 18, 2019Topics: 4Replies: 822Has thanked: 1403 timesBeen thanked: 2798 times
I go to a salon every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks to get my nails done, and that includes polish. Please note, that the lovely Sarah removes the polish before I leave. Also note, that I am a very good tipper.
I have been told by two cis women that I have very good nails. One said she was jealous!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.