• Creator
    Topic
    Holly Goodrich
    Participant
    Registered On: April 19, 2021
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 88

Happy Sunday girls. Instead of being smartass this time, I really need some moral support.

As you most likely know, I am scheduled for replacement knee surgery in 3 days.

The doc wanted me to quit smoking a week early to a week after. He says it’ll eliminate some tisk of infection. There’s the problem. I started to smoke well over 40 years ago.

I knew it was gonna be tough, but this is ridiculous. Told Doc, I’d do my best, but it’s not good enough. Best i have done is go from a pack to half pack daily.

Then, when I start on the hormones, I still gotta quit so there’s no adverse effects on me, like increased risk of heart attack.

Any tips or well wishes will be very appreciated. I don’t want to die before fulfilling my goal.

Thanks and hugz, Holly

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Leslie
      Lady
      Registered On: September 14, 2020
      Topics: 20
      Replies: 256

My SO has had both knees replace, about two years apart and the surgery has improved a great deal in just that time. She was up and doing limited walk the same day as the surgery. And two days later she was able to do the three fights of stairs up to our condo. She had two weeks of at home PT sessions and then four weeks of out patient PT with exercises to do at home between sessions. Not a piece of cake to go through but much better than the pain she was having. Hope this information helps. Hope you have similar or better results!

As far as the smoking goes I can’t give any personal input (the only vice I never picked up). But I am sure you can do it. The best suggestion I have seen is just get rid of the cigarettes don’t have them around. I know it is rough to do it “cold turkey” but you can get through it. I don’t think vaping is a good idea, it is the nicotine they want to get as much as possible out of your system. As a sugar addict I know how hard it is to kick such a bad habit. AGAIN YOU CAN DO IT GIRL, YOU ARE A STRONG PERSON OR YOU WOULDN’T BE HERE!

keep us informed as to when the big day is and how it goes. Rooting for you!!

Leslie

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Trisha Lilly Hibbert
      Baroness
      Registered On: December 8, 2020
      Topics: 39
      Replies: 706

Hi honey, many years ago my mum used hypothesis to quit. Apparently it stopped 80% of the cravings. Good look with the operation. Hope it all goes well.

Love Trish

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Paula Here
      Lady
      Registered On: April 13, 2020
      Topics: 6
      Replies: 94

Holly,

Good luck with surgery,  and hang in on the smoking.  Cognitive behavior therapy have had great success with quitting smoking.

Paula

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Caroline OBrien
      Lady
      Registered On: April 18, 2020
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 100

I used the patch about 20 years ago. Worked pretty well, haven’t had one since.

Caroline

Eona Oh
      Lady
      Registered On: March 7, 2021
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 125

Holly,

I know you can do it! My mom started smoking when she was ten and quit when she was 70. I figured if she could quit after 60 years of smoking so could I. That was 13 years ago. You can, and will quit. Keep calling yourself a non-smoker. Don’t buy any or carry any with you. Don’t give yourself a choice. You are going to do this!

Stay strong and believe in yourself!

💖💋

4 users thanked author for this post.
      Michaela Jane
      Lady
      Registered On: December 9, 2016
      Topics: 24
      Replies: 333

As a lifelong non-smoker, I cannot offer any advice because I don’t know nicotine addiction.

I can, however, recommend following the physical therapists advice to the letter post-op. Do exactly what they say and also do the home exercises. Keep your ankles flexing also, that moves your calf muscles which helps to pump blood up and down your legs to minimise any risk of blood clots.  You will be walking normally within a few weeks. I have had both my knees replaced.

Mikala
      Registered On: April 11, 2021
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 77

Hi Holly,
      Sorry, have never smoked. But my wishes are with you for your surgery.
      Mikala xx.

Bridgette VonSmirff
      Lady
      Registered On: October 18, 2020
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 1040

I quit about 25 years ago, you can too. I reached a point where it became less important in my life than other things. Surely a surgery is less important than a cigarette. You can do this! Use gum, or vapor temporarily if you need to. We belive in you!

Bridgette

Kimberly Bee
      Lady
      Registered On: August 11, 2020
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 44

I stopped after about 35 of smoking. My wife would get on to me about smoking because of the smell. I totally ignored her because I enjoyed a smoke, maybe 20 a day. I’d tried to stop many times but to no avail & then 1 day I decided that I’d had enough of smoking. I put my tobacco & papers in the garage & I guarantee I’ve never touched 1 since the 4th September 2009. It’s nice not to smell like an old ashtray anymore.

Something you can do is sniff the back of your hand (sounds kinky) then lick the back of your hand & that’s what you’re breath will smell like after a cigarette. I’ll say no more.

Good luck to anyone who decides to stop smoking

Grace Scarlett
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: February 16, 2021
      Topics: 85
      Replies: 1821

Hi Holly.

Have you tried patches….you put one over each eye and then you can’t find you’re cigarettes!!!!

Seriously, I have never smoked, but several of my friends have tried vaping to good effect. You can choose the strength that you can ” get away with”.

Best wishes with your surgery, I hope it all goes well for you.

Grace x

Pumped Forheels
      Lady
      Registered On: November 22, 2020
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 83

Stop buying them!

Seriously, don’t have any around. Fight the urge to buy them. You will go slightly insane for a few days, but you will get through it!

Many years ago five of my friends decided to quit.  I was the only one that made it although some of them quit years later.

Anonymous
      Registered On:
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 34

I’ve never been a smoker, so I can’t offer any advice.  I wish you all the best, Holly.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      Stephanie Bass
      Princess - Annual
      Registered On: November 30, 2019
      Topics: 12
      Replies: 1779

Hi Holly good luck on the surgery  and about the smoking  many moons ago i quit just because wife didnt like the smell on my clothes so missed alarm and got up late for work my own pet peave to run late made it on time but didnt have time to stop for my smokes .. Was at that time three packs a day pretty bad so finished pack put lighter in empty pack and never looked back that was about 35 years ago had a will to quit and did it good luck girl you can do it .. Think about the alternative quit smoking and keep leg a no brainer im thinking ..good luck..

Stephanie

Regi Kelly
      Princess
      Registered On: October 9, 2020
      Topics: 36
      Replies: 1053

Hi Holly.
      I smoked for 48 years and I managed to quit, using the nicotine gum, coupled with vaping. It has been over 2 years now, I still vape but with a lower dose nicotine(12 mgs), and dont even crave a smoke anymore
      Hugs, Regi👸💕

Laura Lovett
      Lady
      Registered On: March 26, 2020
      Topics: 16
      Replies: 1187

Vaping got me off the ciggies.

I can’t recommend it strongly enough as a way to stop smoking.

Love Laura

Amanda Burton
      Baroness - Annual
      Registered On: January 15, 2020
      Topics: 34
      Replies: 1555

Good luck with the surgery, as for the smoking, we’ll it’s advisable to stop, but I look at it like this, if you were involved in a serious accident that requires immediate surgery the question of smoking probably wouldn’t arise. The risk is entirely yours.

Sandy Jayson
      Duchess
      Registered On: September 29, 2019
      Topics: 23
      Replies: 531

Holly good luck on your surgery, can offer you no help on the smoking ( I never did it). On the surgery though I had knee replacement on Jan 26 and went back to work on April 4. I listened to the physical therapist and pushed myself, my goal was to get back to work. I am a letter carrier and walk 2 to 3 hours every day and was allowed to work up to that gradually and worked well for me.
      Once again good luck!! Sandy

Holly Goodrich
      Lady
      Registered On: April 19, 2021
      Topics: 33
      Replies: 88

Tthanks for the input Natasha. I have tried the patch wih no success. Next, I’ll try lozenges.
      Ive tried cold turkey, but I got so sick, I was stuck in bed for days. Maybe I should have ridden it out, I dunno.

Hugz, Holly

Natasha Taylor
      Lady
      Registered On: February 6, 2021
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 21

Hi

i gave up after 35 years because my surgeon said the worst that could happen during the surgery is I would lose a leg. I’f I don’t do the surgery and I won’t unless you give up smoking you will lose both.
      I used patches and an inhalator over 6 weeks I stopped i have had 7 smoke free years.

the big thing is you have to want to do it. Every time I wanted a smoke I made the choose  not to have it. Then do something else.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account