Viewing 16 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Good morning from Scarlettville!!

It’s been a heavy weekend again, so I have today ( Monday ) off…a quick walk around town, and I’m gobsmacked!!!!

I don’t know how many of you visit charity shops ( thrift shops??),  but if you don’t, you jolly well should…..I can’t believe what people donate….sometimes virtually new!!!!!

Our Charity shops are heaving with goodies!!!….I think the whole of my town has donated, and you cannot move in the charity shops for ” stuff “. They have been closed for soooooo long, and as they are mostly staffed by elderly volunteers, they have been badly hit. Now they have recently te opened, and some are turning away stock because they cannot cope!!!!…..We have close to a dozen different charities running these shops in my town, from a couple of big stores selling furniture and electricals, to smaller ” everything” shops. I have just spent about three hours in town and I can’t believe the goodies that are in them. I really had to hold back, yes ME, bargain hunter grace. ….I bought a few items, ( brand new set of brushes, a load of beads and gemstones I can make into jewellery, a green mini dress, a long red strapless summer dress ) but I will be going back too, this girl’s all aquiver!!!!.

So how are the shops doing in your part of the world ??….have they been inundated with stock ??….are you planning a raid ??…what’s your greatest bargain ??

Do tell ……

Love and huggs to you all,

grace ❤️❤️

Nancy
      Lady

Grace, we have a university town here, and half the population of the city are college students. So, when the spring semester ends, most of them move out for the summer. Our Goodwill store here always seems pretty full, but probably even more so this time of year. I likely have college students to thank for donating a lot of my thrift store finds. Now if they would just open the dressing rooms up again so I could try stuff on…

And I think when people were stuck at home for the pandemic, a lot of people used online shopping to fill their time, and/or cleaned out their closets to donate the things they don’t wear anymore.

I’m not sure what my best find has been, but I’m pretty excited about my new boots, which I’m trying to stretch a bit. I’ve found a number of shorts, skorts, skirts, and tops that I’m pretty fond of over the past few months. I’ve gotten a couple dresses, but I’m finding that I’m not really a dress kind of girl. Or, maybe my dressing will evolve into them as my confidence increases, and I’m just not there yet. I do have a black dress that I think would go nicely with the boots… 🙂

Birel

Anonymous

I have been following your “exploits” with the tight boots…hope you have luck getting them to fit.

I hope you evolve into wearing dresses

….that ” swish” of a dress is ……mmm…very feminine x

Thrift stores are always good haunts and I can definitely recommend them. I got a good loop I tend to visit every so often where I get to hit up three of them pretty close by to each other. The main issue is that the roadwork has blocked off one of them.

But a change in season with Summer, more or less, officially rolling in. Covid restrictions being lifted, there’s probably a huge surge. There is probably a treasure trove growing in thrift shops if you can make the trip.

Anonymous

😂😂😂😂😂 our Grace holding back, “Never”.
      Yeah ours are jammed packed and it’s the same in the next town up the road from me. The cancer charity have a massive warehouse there, furniture, clothes, well everything really. Picked up a Victorian leaded light cabinet last week for £175,just needs a small repair to one of the glass panels, and some molding on the draws,soon get that fixed.
      Gosh I too can spend hours in these shops, and as you rightly say a lot of it is almost new. Brilliant.

Anonymous

On the way home from work earlier thinking lets stop at the thrift store have a look around thinking other day seen so many people dropping things off. So went in and long behold so many things not just some clothes bought and shoes but some nice nick nack stuff

Hugs

Donna

Anonymous

Donna…it’s great isn’t it!!!…I got a set of make up brushes that were still in the box….unopened….xx

Anonymous

Nice find Grace a girl always in need of makeup brushes.

Charity shops have been shut for some time (I think all through the pandemic?) so people have been piling up stuff ready to take when things re-opened.  I, myself, have 8 bin bags full of clothes and a further 3 of other stuff ready to go.

However…

When I called a few of the local shops to ask what the current process was, any special requirements etc, they all said they didn’t want any as they were completely swamped with stock and couldn’t take any more!  I was a bit speechless, I have to say.

For  a moment, I thought ‘sod you then’ and was going to go to a clothes bank where they give you like 50p/kg or something, but then I decided to hold on to them and try further afield.  Wife is taking 3 bags to a shop on the other side of town today, but still finding it tricky to donate ‘en mass’ which I find weird.

Aside from all that, I echo your thoughts Grace and agree you can find some absolute peaches in charity shops and, more often than not, nobody would ever know where it came from or that you paid a few quid vs the £50 new price tag.

Love Rachel

Anonymous

Rachel….

I know a lot of ” churdy” shops are getting extremely picky because of the amount they are being offered and the limited space they have ….so the quality has gone sky high..xx

Anonymous

Gracie, help please – “churdy” – what’s that?

Marti xxx

edit: D’oh, got it now. I was trying to make sense of it from a definition in Urban Dictionary

Anonymous

Churdy begins at home !!!…🤣🤣 x

Ours haven’t opened, yet, we are beginning phase 1 of re-opening on Friday, outdoor dining, and limited shops opening, with restrictions, so,,,,maybe soon?
      Good for you on your finds, Grace
      Hugs, Regine👸💕

Anonymous

Get in there quick girl…. there’s stuff to be grabbed!!!….xx

Kelly Lee
        Duchess - Annual

I’m also in Ontario and  with we been in lockdown since “forever” and for sure since April 8 when it was decided that we don’t need any “non essential” stuff like spring clothes/shoes or so.
        I’m looking forward to Friday when it finally suppose to open up and the thrift store close by will have a visit then. I’m just afraid it will be a long line up just to get in since they are only allowed about 15% capacity.

/kt

Hi Gracie,

We have Thrift stores called Goodwills here.

Usually pretty organized and good used stuff.

I just went again yesterday a ND as you say I am aquicer every time I go.

Especially since the ggodwills have dressing rooms and I can try on as many items of girl clothing I like.

Only 5 items at a time.

I shop in drab but you will says find me in the ladies clothing racks.😉

Thrift stores are the best my wife introduced me to this for girl shopping,bless her heart.

Huggs Patty.❤️

Anonymous

Patty

They sound great, I have seen goodwill mentioned on here before. I use our charity shops a lot, but I haven’t seen them as well stocked as they are now, for a long time……

girly heaven xx

Just before the last lockdown,  five Charnos half slips. A tenner – had to stop choosing, Nicola and slips!

Amy Myers
      Baroness

Well ours will just start opening up again this coming Friday! I sure am looking forward to being able to go shopping again, and not just at the thrift stores.

There is are a couple of large thrift store chains here, and sometimes I’ve found some decent stuff there, but other days I walk through the store and think how many horrible looking clothes there are in the world!

The smaller, either independent ones, or smaller chains often have better pricing. I have found amazing bargains at some small local ones in town. Like nice heels for $2 or $3 a pair, and beautiful LBD for $10.

Though at one of the big chains another time I got a name brand one piece bathing suit for $12, and a nice brand name dress for a little more.

So I’ve found it hit and miss, but certainly there are some great new or barely used clothes and other things to be had.

Amy

Anonymous

Garage sales are starting again too in area looking forward to weekend check some out Oh also estate sales.

Anonymous

Donna…”garage sales”….

that always makes me smile….they might be cheap but how do you get the garage home???….

In England we have ” car boot sales”….but how many car boots do you need???    🤣🤣🤣

Grace, in the U.S., we also have yard sales.  I have yet to find one though that will let me start digging while strangers pilfer through the boxes and tables of things.  Also remember to stay clear of the garage sales that look as though the garage vomited into the driveway.

PaulaF

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Paula F.
          Anonymous

Bring a truck or a trailer Grace sometimes everything for sale. Garage too. hehe Oh those car  boot sales in England can get some nice stiletto boots for your car there. Wow we in US so behind. Now.

I heard a report on the radio that many thrift stores have closed their donation receiving doors as they have too much stuff to handle. The premise is that with everyone locked down for so long they had nothing better to do than clean out their closets, storage lockers and garages. Then when they could get out they took car loads and truck loads to donate. This overwhelmed the thrift stores.

On the flip side, retail stores should see an upsurge as people will need to replace everything they got rid of.

Beth

Hi Gracie, 80-90% of my wardrobe is from charity shops. I love them. They opened about 6 weeks ago in bury and I missed them so much.

Love Trisha

It’s now summer 2021 and the charity shops are open again, and Nicola’s trawling for hosiery: something 10 dernier and sheer – but just spotting the opaque.  De  dhum,,,

I generally see ~60d tights in the charity shops do round Bury. Tescos and Morisons (uk supermarkets) sell stockings and tights of a veriety of D.

Had a ridiculous haul of sellotaped together – 3 pairs – of navy opaque Walford’s for a quid.  And from another nearby charity sheer, for also a quid, some  very sheer and black Walford’s, but they’re sized small and sit in the hosiery box, a temptation

Seamed and black, lacy topped.  Fishnets come into their own. for me. this time of year….

Driving around in a couple of neighboring towns this weekend, I noticed that the donation locations almost all have bags and boxes of items stacked beside them as the bins themselves are pretty much all full now.  I plan to hit the thrifties in Amarillo this coming weekend.  A long time friend of mine who lives there told they were all pretty stocked up right now.

PaulaF

Anonymous

Look out Amarillo…..!!!!!

Anonymous

Have fun and watch out for those crazy  Armadillos 

Nicola’s desolait! Very grammgooatically incorrect mixing an English contraction into some French verb form, my Spanish is better! Anyway, not turning anything up anything, unless you count an extremely good Russian film DVD in a five for a pound deal along with the BBC’s original version of Tinker, Tailor… Thought I’d done well finding that Russian film, in a nearby charity shop, for two quid over a year previous. Though good I think his ‘The Banishment’ the more profound, and moving. But as for hosiery, something sheer: 10 dernier…

Had to raid the drawer, instead. for something lace topped and 10 dnr: hold ups, lovely and sheer – glazing one leg against the other.

Anonymous

Thrift shops were where I bought my first dresses 23 years ago, only to be lost in the great purge of 2001. I really should go back!

— Abbie 😘

Anonymous

Abbie….

you really should go back…bargain city!!!

My job has me on the road most of the week visiting different towns so I get the opportunity to visit the Op Shops in each of these towns each time I am there. Almost all of my Clothes in my Wardrobe are from Op Shops. I now know where the real bargains are as some shops are more expensive then others. Found some amazing quality boots ( hard to find when you are size 12 ) and some fantastic skirts. Problem is as I can visit them every week I tend to come home with something more often then not!! Pretty sure the staff in these shops know what I am doing due to the size of the clothes I am purchasing, but they are always nice. My biggest worry is that because I am in uniform I might get caught out one day. Sad to hear most of you have not been able to get into your local thrift shops. Hope you all get the chance to shop soon.

The charity as you say are stacked full of goodies at the moment, I’m trying to resist the urge to buy too much as keeping it hidden is a problem for me. I did crack though the other day and bought 2 dresses a skirt and a silk blouse.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?