Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi Ladies,

Growing up in the 60’s and 70’s one listened to the radio.  Many songs charted and neared the Top of Billboard singles chart.  Some were fun to listen to.  After the song that artist didn’t have another hit song/single.

One such Artist was Tony Burrows, a UK vocalist.  He was lead singer for First Class, White Plains and other groups.

Many Friends here on CDH are/have lived in the UK during that era.  Anyone care to share a favorite pop song from their youth?

Alice

For a one hit wonder it would have to be “Nobody but Me” by the Human Beinz, but although it isn’t a one hit wonder, in terms of a favourite germane to this part of me….it would be “Georgy Girl” by the Seekers!  Yup that one really fits….

Marcellette

Two of my favorites are:

You Sexy Thing by Hot Chocolate and

The Beat Goes On/Switchin to Glide by The Kings

Anonymous

Unfortunately my generations OHWs were all terrible. My favorite has to be from Flock of Seagulls though.

Hi Annaleigh,

Many are indeed terrible but the activities we participated in were memorable during our growing up years.  So those terrible tunes bring back some fun memories.

Alice

Anonymous

Oh no. I’m a generation AFTER the best OHWs. Those from artists like Daniel Powter and what not. The best OHWs were in the 80s

Hi Annaleigh,

I suspect each generation grew up and has favorites.

Alice

Leslie
      Lady

The one I remember is Teach Me Tiger by April Stevens. You can guess what it was about. But the fun thing was the radio station in the college town were I was banded it for being “too rational”.

ChloeC
      Duchess

My goodness! I had to think about this as there were a significant number of 1 hit wonders in that era. And i was surprised when i read about the 5 one hit wonder songs with Tony Burrows including the best BeachBoy song not sung by the Beachboys.

A favorite is by a group out of the Chicago area the Cryan Shames who did a cover of a British group song – Sugar and Spice. i attended college classes with several members and knew two quite well

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by ChloeC.

Hi Chloe,

Yes, there have been books written listing the one hit wonders.  I worked in Chicago for a couple of years and may have heard them on the radio.

Alice

You Were on My Mind by We Five.

I’m singing it right now. Join in girls….

Karaoke Clara

Dawn Wyvern
      Managing Ambassador

Well this is a long story but is a single called Starburst from a film about a fictitious 80’s pop group called the Venus Hunters

The film stars  Neil Morrisy and Marin Clunes, with great cameo appearances of Gary Newman, Jools Holland et al from that era.

The song is very haunting and fits the era perfectly.

The Film is  on YouTube here – but has some atmospheric issues

(by the way – there is a very strong TG/CD link in the film that is worth watching … !)

Enjoy ! Dawn x

I have a favourite “No hit wonders” band – Frank Chickens.

Check this out!

https://youtu.be/cXZanbZ6PWs

Love Laura

Anonymous

Hi Alice…..good topic.

Two one hit wonders from the seventies….

How long by Ace…..

Stuck in the middle with you by Stealers Wheel……

and two of my favourite seventies songs….

All of my life….by the fabulous Diana Ross,

You make me feel Brand New by The Stylistics….

( anything by either artist really….haha )

Rock n Roll Baby Grace ❤️

Hi Rock ‘N’ Roll Grace,

Of course Diana Ross charted many top songs with the Supremes and also with Michael Jackson.  The Stylistics  had  a couple of other hits “I’m Stone in Love with You” and “You Are My Everything.”

Alice

Aoife
      Lady

maybe my favourite one hit wonder (and from my own childhood to boot!) has to be “standing outside a broken telephone booth with money in my hand” by primitive radio gods. breathtakingly beautiful, totally out of the norm, and in my opinion very ahead of its time, essentially doing what a lot of artists would to more recognised effect over a decade later. animal collective’s “what would i want? sky” comes to mind as a follower which i also love.

Anonymous

Hi there, Alice;  great topic!  For a favourite OHW, how about 99 Red Balloons by Nena – or Take My Breath Away by Berlin?  For favourite songs from my childhood, well… there’s just too many, but Just My Imagination by the Temptations (those guys were just sooo cool!) Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell and Simon & Garfunkel’s 59th Street Bridge Song always bring back memories of golden beaches, warm summers and happy times……  Nostalgic Inga.

Hi Inga,

Such a change in style for Nena.  Her song even charted in the US and Japan.

And delightful choices by the Temptations, Simon and Garfunkel and Joni Mitchell.

Alice

A few I can think of off the top of my head:
      In The Year 2525, Zager and Evans
      I Love You More Today Than Yesterday, Spiral Staircase
      Come On Down To My Boat Baby, Every Mother’s Son
      Classical Gas, Mason Williams
      Winchester Cathedral, New Vaudeville Band
      Harper Valley PTA, Jeannie C. Riley
      There was one by a British band, “Hey June” or “Hey Jude” something like that. Not sure if they did anything else… I think Joe Cocker made a couple of their songs famous.

Anonymous

Jamie…

Some good choices there….

Wasn’t “hey June” …..

by the Rutles 😂😂😂😂

I think you may be right!!😂😂
          Wasn’t the B side “Helena Rugby?”

Anonymous

😂🤣😂🤣….this could run and run…haha…

Weren’t they both taken from the ” Dr Peppers ” album???

🤣🤣🤣
            Grace, your knowledge of obscure musical groups led me to do some exhaustive research on The Ruttles. (Well, okay, I looked them up on Wikipedia). While they never had a hit in the UK or the US, they did have a few albums that reached the “hot 200” in New Zealand, including:
            Meet The Ruttles
            Dr. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Gang
            The “Off White” album
            There is some controversy on what constitutes their “last album” as the one that was produced first was released last. It is either:
            The Bill Spectator produced “Let it Go” (Not to be cofused wthe the song from Frozen), or,
            The Rowan and Martin produced “Gabby Row”
            Notable songs from their career include:
            Greeting Card Writer
            With a Little Help From Me Mates
            There Goes The Sun
            Good Morning Wood
            I Want to Grab Your Bum. (The last two have parental advisories).

Samantha Joan
      Hostess

Hey Alice!

Hope you are well.

The first album that I ever got given to me was by Adam and the Ants. This does explain why I love Stand and Deliver and Prince Charming so much.

I came to the conclusion that in another life, I was a shoulder-padded, power skirt suit executive by day and a new romantic by night!

Hugs

Samantha x x

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

How about Brian Hyland and “isty bitsy yellow polka dot bikini”. Dont think he had many hits after that one.

Maybe Mike Sarne from the UK, “Come Outside”

Now I’m not gunna cheat and go wikpedia… Just a couple of wild guesses.

I learned guitar in my teens and if I thought long enough I’m sure there would be a “guitar case” of one hit wonders in this category.

Caty

Hi Caty,

“isty bitsy yellow polka dot bikini” was likely Bryan Hyland biggest hit.  I think he had a few songs that charted that were originally performed by other artists.
        Alice

Anonymous

Hi Alice,

Tony Burrows seemed to have had a hand in a few one off bands that never quite hit the big time.

My favourite example by far was the band “Flower Pot Men” who sang “Let’s go to San Francisco”. It was a purely exploitative ‘pop’ single, made by session musicians, and when it was a hit, they scrambled to assemble am actual band to do gigs.

It’s irrelevant whether I actually like it or not – it’s one of those ‘worm’ songs for me. I recognise the tune within two notes, and it will never leave me.

Marti xxx

Hi Marti,

I found the recording on Spotify.   I don’t recall hearing the song “Let’s Go to San Francisco” back in the late 60’s when it was released.  It’s possible the song was released solely in the U.K.

Alice

Anonymous

Lol, lucky you!

Scott Mckenzie’s ‘San Francisco” was probably still going strong in the states. Mind you, that got a bit of stick in its day too 😉

Marti xxx

Nancy
      Lady

Can I throw an 80’s American band into this conversation? Anybody remember OXO? They only released one album, which I have on vinyl somewhere in my basement. Their only song that made the charts was Whirly Girl. But, my favorite by OXO was Dance All Night.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FomQsqmxAOo

Birel

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

Oh my, thanks for the 70’s flashback , lol.

Rick Dees – Disco Duck!!🤪  Pretty sure ( I hope anyway ) that they were a one hit wonder.

There was another one from the 70’s called Shaving Cream,  by Benny Bell I believe.  Pretty funny song actually.

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

Oh my, thanks for the 70’s flashback, lol.  Not UK based but two come to mind.

Shaving Cream by Benny Bell, and

Disco Duck by Rick Dees.

Two very odd songs that were permanently burned into my young head!

Stevie

[postquote quote=491139]
      Yes, it was.

Alice

Prudence
      Ambassador

Edward Bear, the Last Song!  And maybe the Unicorn song. I believe by the Irish Rovers? And pay for that Chrysler, Paperback Writer.  Hugs

[postquote quote=491441]
      Hi Prudence,

I had the Edward Bear lip on vinyl.

Alice

Prudence
        Ambassador

Alice, all my vinyl got destroyed in a basement flood!😭   Hang on to that one. It may make you rich someday!  TC  Pru

[postquote quote=491449]
      Hi Prudence,

Oh dear?  You might be right some laps command a fine price these days.  I hope you were safe from the flood.

Alice

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?