• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

No, this isn’t just a blatant plug for my favorite Muse album.  That said, blatant plug for my favorite Muse album. 😉

I thought a while about where to post this, since there doesn’t seem to be a “random musings” forum (there I go again, oops!).

Conventional wisdom seems to hold that beauty is perceived in symmetry, hence objectively speaking we’re more attracted to a mate with symmetrical features versus one, for instance, with a lopsided nose and one eye higher than the other (no offense to any ladies with such features!  All the love!)

That’s well and good, and if I’m honest I’ve observed this trend within myself.  And yet…

Yes, there’s always an “and yet…”.

Then we look at fashion.  Admittedly more prominent with women’s fashion than men’s, but even men often have asymmetrical hairstyles and jewelry placement, not to mention the arbitrary decision of which side to place the buttons on.  One can’t deny that asymmetry has an even more drastic role in women’s (and hence *our*) fashion sense.  Be it something as simple as side-swept bangs or a dress that slits up the side to elaborate affairs that hang off one shoulder and sweep to one side, it seems for better or for worse asymmetry has found a lingering place in our zeitgeist.

My left brain is wondering why this is.  Why could something considered “ugly” when applied to bodily features be considered “beautiful” when applied to outward attire?  Or even something as integral to the body as hairstyles?  Where does one draw the line?  How much symmetry is too much, or too little?

For the record, I’m a mostly symmetrical dresser in both guy and girl mode (my drab haircut is basically a lazy man’s buzz), but admittedly I’m fairly new at doing crossdressing seriously, and I can’t deny the allure of an asymmetrical dress, even if I’m not quite sure how I’d pull it off.

So yeah, I’ve rambled enough.  Thoughts?

Anonymous

Hi Val’sheril,

I think that contrast of the asymmetrical draws attention to the symmetry it is against.

An asymmetrical hair style will highlight the symmetry of the head and face of the person. A long slit on one side of a gown (while making it a lot easier to walk) highlights the the hips, derrière and legs. An off shoulder top will emphasize the upper body and torso.

Just my opinion, what do I know? I’m just a guy wearing a dress that wants to look as fabulous as possible.

Hugs, Jillian

Gold star for bringing to attention the point I was trying to make in my typical irritatingly obfuscated fashion.  Apologies if that sounded sarcastic, I can assure you it was not.

My theory is that beauty is a construct of the soul, something deeper than mere objective thought or animalistic attraction.  It lies in balance deeper than merely “left=right” (but enough about politics, am I right? ;} ) and more in the sublime spaces between.

Anonymous

Thanks Val’sheril, I just love gold stars, I will wear it proudly. And don’t worry I speak fluent sarcasm, lol.

I can always be counted on to quickly discern to obvious while totally missing the more subtle.

The old saying goes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that is true. Beauty, true beauty speaks to our very soul and in unique to each of us.

Hugs, Jillian

Anonymous

I know what you mean – you see a TV (ha!) presenter with a gorgeous dress, but only one sleeve. “Oy, Missus. Couldn’t you afford the rest of it?”

It works better with hemlines than sleeves.

Connie
      xxx

Taste is subjective.  Admittedly I’ve loved playing around with asymmetrical sleeves/pant legs with my Final Fantasy characters but not been so brave irl.

Lara Muir
      Baroness - Annual

Hi Val’sheril,

I was going to say to contrast symmetry, but I see Jillian has beaten me to it. So two votes for that then.

Xoxo,  Lara

Ah, but you coined the phrase “contrast symmetry” and that makes all the difference!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?