- May 2, 2019 at 3:16 am #173565Candy CanParticipantRegistered On: October 19, 2018Topics: 33Replies: 117Has thanked: 225 timesBeen thanked: 552 times
What do you think about what I would call Over the Top dresses?
Maid, Quinceanera, princess, cosplay, bridesmaid, bride dresses and the like?
Have you, or would you like to own and wear some of them?
- This topic was modified 1 year ago by MacKenzie Alexandra. Reason: Removed inappropriate language
- October 22, 2020 at 7:44 pm #397625Amy MyersParticipantRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1073Has thanked: 2792 timesBeen thanked: 2589 times
Natasha, Sailor Moon! OMG, my daughter was the biggest little Sailor Moon fan way back when she was a little girl.
I haven’t heard about Sailor Moon for ages! Cool outfit.
- October 17, 2020 at 3:03 am #395610
- October 17, 2020 at 1:00 am #395588Steph CeeParticipantRegistered On: October 11, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 8Has thanked: 41 timesBeen thanked: 35 times
I own a few OTT dresses: a skimpy french maid outfit that was one of the first purchases I ever made from a women’s clothing store, a shiny sequin cocktail dress that I had my eye on for months before being brave enough to pull the trigger on, and a Belle Disney princess gown that I’ve worn in public twice at halloween parties (probably my favorite of all the dresses and gowns I own).
I love the spectacular way they show me off when I wear them, especially with full make-up, shoes, and wig. (I mean, go big or go home, right?)
- October 16, 2020 at 8:04 am #395327
- October 13, 2020 at 7:48 pm #394322
- October 13, 2020 at 7:30 pm #394318Amy MyersParticipantRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1073Has thanked: 2792 timesBeen thanked: 2589 times
Well Girls, I was in a used clothing store today and I saw what you would describe as an Over The Top dress, a wedding dress.
My wife was with me, and guessed was a 1980’s wedding dress. Lovely of course, satin with puffy sleeves, pearls embroidered and even the veil was with it. Quite reasonable at about $20.
Fortunately, I suppose, it wasn’t my size so I didn’t buy it. So that was that. However two things come to mind. The first is this was someone else’s wedding dress, which has now ended up in a thrift store for a few dollars, and it’s seems a slightly weird and creepy thing to be wearing something which was so special for another woman.
Then I’m not at all sure I really want a wedding dress! Though my wife was kidding me about buying it! Really!
- October 11, 2020 at 8:42 pm #393296AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 4Replies: 102Has thanked: 110 timesBeen thanked: 461 times
I only own one “Over the Top” dress. It is a black corset dress. The laces of the corset continue down into the skirt. There is a panel that covers my bottom, but between the laces and the very short skirt, it leave little to the imagination. (If you know what I mean.) I would never wear it out in public. It’s for intimate time with someone special. Anyway, I’d really love to get a formal gown and have an occasion to wear it.
- October 11, 2020 at 7:58 pm #393276
- October 11, 2020 at 7:50 pm #393273JOJOParticipantRegistered On: August 5, 2018Topics: 0Replies: 36Has thanked: 46 timesBeen thanked: 169 times
- October 11, 2020 at 7:41 pm #393271Amy MyersParticipantRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1073Has thanked: 2792 timesBeen thanked: 2589 times
I suppose it depends as to what you mean about “Over The Top”. I do have one of the French Maid outfits, I’ve only worn it home, doing housework and cooking!
The only other one which might fit your criteria is a 20’s flapper dress, short, of course, as that’s my style I’m afraid, but with the typical tassels and fringes along the bottom. I bought it for a 20’s themed party back in June, but we all know what happened to the best laid plans!
More recently I’ve become enamoured with a Victorian, or an even earlier era, like late 18th or early 19th century English Emily Bronte kind of look. That’s a style which had never interested me until a while ago, and it would be cool to have one, and actually wear it to a ball or a party somewhere.
- October 11, 2020 at 6:50 pm #393260Caty RyanParticipantRegistered On: August 27, 2017Topics: 70Replies: 670Has thanked: 4 timesBeen thanked: 2015 times
If we are discussing “normal” formal wear, ie evening gowns, Mother of the Bride Dresses and wedding gowns, I’m not sure I agree with the OTT description as these are worn by women all the time, when the occasion requires same.
Where it may have “shaved legs” and where I am “guilty as charged” is period fashion and here’s two examples.
Ever since childhood, after I read a book on period fashion, I have been fascinated about these clothes and wearing and owning these two gowns were dreams come true. Especially when I wore the “Scarlett” dress in public at a CD event three years ago,
My CDH profile contains lots more photos of Bridal, Mother of The Bride, evening and bridesmaids gowns, so if anyone is interested, feel free to browse.
Happy (formal) dressing
- October 11, 2020 at 6:44 am #393011Mary Ann SummersParticipantRegistered On: April 29, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 101Has thanked: 272 timesBeen thanked: 716 times
I have a beautiful wedding dress and a couple of long event gowns. One is a deep purple velvet dress with a slit up the left led to just above the knee with a short matching jacket. I would just LOVE to be able to have an event to wear that to!
- October 11, 2020 at 5:07 am #392984Patty PhoseParticipantRegistered On: May 7, 2016Topics: 0Replies: 1402Has thanked: 995 timesBeen thanked: 3356 times
- October 11, 2020 at 1:49 am #392952Sally DrinkwaterParticipantRegistered On: July 15, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 227Has thanked: 47 timesBeen thanked: 760 times
I could have a wardrobe full of ball gowns, I could have a beautiful made to measure Bridal gown, a French maids uniform or the sexiest set of undies to primp and perform around the house in but instead I choose to pick nice but ordinary outfits as my ultimate reward for cross dressing is to be out and about, yearning to be seen but desperate not to be noticed? I still get the same chills and thrills as I did 40 years ago, I still get the same heart pumping excitment every time I leave the house and the same sigh of relief when I get back.
I’m not talking about clubbing or coffee mornings, just taking walks and driving to window shop or post non-exsisting letters as I never knew about Significant Others or other CDs and the only sympathetic girl friends I knew were in my teens (sigh….where are they now?) It would have been nice to have someone to do the talking for me but one day an enterprising CD will invent a syrup to give a higher pitched voice. not too high, just enough to sing ‘hey big spender’ at the karaoke.
I am fast approching 70 (68 now) and my adventures are slowing down but I still feel beautiful and my walks are getting shorter and my drives are getting longer and I continue to post a photo almost every day and they do say that a bird (even an old one) with it’s colourful plumage is too pretty to keep indoors, in all these years I have been chatted up twice and shouted at once, I have been the victim of several drive by ‘tootings’ and one half hearted wolf whistle……not bad eh?
- October 11, 2020 at 1:06 am #392951Candy CanParticipantRegistered On: October 19, 2018Topics: 33Replies: 117Has thanked: 225 timesBeen thanked: 552 times
If you like bride, bridesmaid, prom, homecoming (and what many call a prom, is here called a ‘formal’ – school formal that is), formal, party dresses, then look up a site called ‘LuckDresses’.
They make to standard sizes, AND (it’s a big ‘and’ for us) – they make to custom measurements.
So they will cater to those who aren’t hourglass shaped, or even ‘A’ shaped. Some of us are more ‘V’ shaped.
Just browsing through the pretty dresses is fun.
- May 10, 2019 at 11:04 pm #176203Olivia Faye MarieParticipantRegistered On: April 21, 2017Topics: 14Replies: 82Has thanked: 10 timesBeen thanked: 145 times
- May 6, 2019 at 6:56 pm #174950Brianna JenkinsParticipantRegistered On: April 30, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 7Has thanked: 26 timesBeen thanked: 24 times
One of the few times I’ve found success with in store shopping I went Macy’s.
I went to the discount rack and found a formal LBD homecoming dress in XXXL.
It had a zipper up sheer top with tight neck / choker effect.
It is rather revealing and I love how it shows off my legs when I get to enjoy it.
I just love the feeling when I wear it and think about being taken to a dance and pampered as I clicked around all night in my highest of heels!!!
Huge fan of these types of dresses.
- May 6, 2019 at 6:52 pm #174948Candy CanParticipantRegistered On: October 19, 2018Topics: 33Replies: 117Has thanked: 225 timesBeen thanked: 552 times
- May 5, 2019 at 11:56 pm #174687LeaParticipantRegistered On: March 23, 2016Topics: 59Replies: 201Has thanked: 188 timesBeen thanked: 714 times
- May 5, 2019 at 8:23 pm #174666
- May 4, 2019 at 7:19 pm #174321sarasue olsonParticipantRegistered On: October 7, 2018Topics: 22Replies: 169Has thanked: 450 timesBeen thanked: 775 times
Over the fifty plus years I have acquired A large wardrobe of fancy dresses everything from wedding to cocktail dresses as well as some lovely velvet formal gowns, that are my favorite. my first experience started when I was fifteen, one of my sisters friends gave me A prom dress she had outgrown it was A pretty baby blue and had A lot of lace detail, oh how I loved to wear that dress. By the time I was eighteen I had four more donations from my sister and her friends, but at that time they had all gone off to collage. It wasn’t till I was married and out of collage before I accumulated any more dresses, and had outgrown what I had. My wife bought me A black velvet formal dress that I really loved, That got me hooked again on formal and all types of fancy dresses, even wedding and bridesmaids. My last count was over thirty fancy dresses as well as fifty other dresses, but I am running out of closet space, so I am not buying many more, and I hate to get rid of anything.
- May 4, 2019 at 5:39 pm #174289AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 147Replies: 662Has thanked: 470 timesBeen thanked: 1552 times
I recently bought a wedding dress (my third) and had a photo session wearing it last week.
Different than the previous times, this time around I bought the perfect earrings and hair accessories, a veil, shoes, etc.
My mood kind of got ruined by having a disappointing bridal makeover, but well at least there were some good photos.
- May 4, 2019 at 5:58 pm #174293AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 147Replies: 662Has thanked: 470 timesBeen thanked: 1552 times
- May 4, 2019 at 6:09 pm #174297Christina LoveitParticipantRegistered On: May 1, 2019Topics: 4Replies: 43Has thanked: 21 timesBeen thanked: 79 times
- May 4, 2019 at 7:21 pm #174324AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 147Replies: 662Has thanked: 470 timesBeen thanked: 1552 times
Thank you Christina!
- May 4, 2019 at 5:38 pm #174288ParticipantRegistered On: May 1, 2019Topics: 4Replies: 43Has thanked: 21 timesBeen thanked: 79 times
- May 4, 2019 at 3:24 pm #174263ParticipantRegistered On: October 19, 2018Topics: 33Replies: 117Has thanked: 225 timesBeen thanked: 552 times
I have always wanted to wear a wedding dress. I fantasize about walking down the aisle with all eyes on me.
Wouldn’t it be great to have a CD meetupwith a wedding theme?
2 brides, bridesmaids, mother of the brides……….
- May 4, 2019 at 6:12 pm #174298
- May 4, 2019 at 10:25 am #174227AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 3Replies: 24Has thanked: 52 timesBeen thanked: 78 times
- May 4, 2019 at 5:21 am #174104Dawn WyvernAmbassadorRegistered On: February 23, 2019Topics: 3Replies: 139Has thanked: 59 timesBeen thanked: 420 times
- May 4, 2019 at 1:47 am #174064Jamie VegasParticipantRegistered On: May 23, 2017Topics: 4Replies: 148Has thanked: 236 timesBeen thanked: 194 times
- May 3, 2019 at 6:54 pm #173992AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 7Replies: 84Has thanked: 194 timesBeen thanked: 180 times
- May 2, 2019 at 9:25 am #173621AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 7Replies: 145Has thanked: 426 timesBeen thanked: 304 times
Hi Candy Can, I’m not much for OTT dressing but I did have a lovely Santa dress a few years ago. It was off the shoulder, really short with matching knickers and hold up stockings. That was a good Christmas!😻
1 user thanked author for this post.
- May 2, 2019 at 4:08 am #173574AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 20Replies: 508Has thanked: 582 timesBeen thanked: 834 times
Hi Cand Can !!!!—–For me, I go for the bodycon, club mini dress, three quarter sleeve with low neckline so my little natural cleavage shows, with highlighted just past shoulders brunette wig, silver bangles, barely black hose, and 5 inch strappy heels……………..not into maid, housewife, cosplay costumes………I wanna be a ‘killer’ id da club !!!
- May 4, 2019 at 7:19 pm #174320ParticipantRegistered On: February 11, 2019Topics: 15Replies: 1073Has thanked: 2792 timesBeen thanked: 2589 times
You sound like you’d be beautiful, Mikki!
- May 4, 2019 at 7:26 pm #174329AnonymousInactiveRegistered On:Topics: 20Replies: 508Has thanked: 582 timesBeen thanked: 834 times
Hi Amy–thanks—it ALL starts with a vision………..then just go buy it……..bathe, makeup, hair, and put it on……………and into the dream……………
1 user thanked author for this post.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.