• This topic has 52 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 16 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Lady

Ladies, lately I have noticed a surge in photos that utilize various feminization filters to alter actual looks and characteristics. While I understand us wanting to look our best and see how good we can possibly make ourselves look, I wonder if these filters are helping or hurting us?  While I certainly would love to look like Raquel Welch, as would many gg’s, do these filters give us an unrealistic expectation, much like size zero models and actresses?  I know I am not ever going to be that woman, but I do try to asses my successes and failures with my makeup and presentation honestly and worry that the unrealistic expectations made by these filters would make me feel negatively about my “real” self if I tried to live up to them.  I work hard at improving my makeup and techniques to enhance my femininity in a fashion that is usable in the real world when I am out and about and my photos are primarily for that purpose and altering them may not allow me an honest assessment.  For those that enjoy seeing the possibilities through these filters, please enjoy them and don’t take this as an insult. Enjoy and relish who and what you are. So, I stand by to be corrected and “straightened” out now on my thoughts.
      🍷C

ps. If this topic has been broached someplace else, I apologize, but I did not see it.

Anonymous

I agree with you, entirely. I feel they’re overused and maybe ‘untruthful’..? I feel they could give a false sense to people. They’re everywhere here too, it really struck me how much they’re being used. Before joining here I’d never even heard of such a thing, now I’m beginning to loathe it! I’m far from perfect but my flaws live with me, yes they get me down, but like you say, with utilizing make up tricks and whatever we have available for feminization, I feel that should be our weapon instead of relying on an AI interpretation of what we ‘could’ be.. You’re already the best you are, just by realizing your ‘true’ self through being a cd. Embrace ‘that’ more?

Thank you for bringing this up! It’s obviously a tough one to broach.

Thanks for reading.

Anonymous
        Lady

Kitty I was almost afraid to “go there”, but like you said it was just seeming to be everywhere now. I also agree that we are the best by personal acceptance, and a little (LOT) of makeup.
        🍷C

Anonymous

Right, Carolyne! No, I’m glad you did because if I see a photo and it grabs me, to find out a moment later that it’s only a representation I almost feel cheated out of the appreciation I wanted to grace that person with! It’s maybe petty but it feels almost unfair. (?) And I agree, surprising transformations can occur with some eyelash extensions, (properly done) defining cheek shading and the right lip stick shade are all tricks we can utilize just like the real girls do. …They’re not all photography models either, right!

Have a great weekend! 🙂

Honestly, this is why I was hesitant about using an app filtered photo for my profile. That’s gonna change really soon though. Today is gonna be my first makeup attempts and I just trimmed off my Santa beard. Here comes Mika!!

Anonymous

I admire that! For first attempts, I strongly advise to just keep it simple. Avoid bold colours – anywhere – (eyeshadow, or lip liner, or brow pencils) – get as close to your own tone of skin for a foundation, and layer from there, don’t get too crazy with lipstick colours either, until you find a good ‘look’ for yourself. It might take a bit of practice, but you’ll get it. Above all, have fun with it!… I respect that you are willing to change you picture for an honest representation of yourself. Have a nice weekend.

Thank you. Your advice is exactly what I have learned from other girls here, enfemme, and YouTube videos. I took that into consideration when I went to Ulta this past Tuesday. I got four neutral shades of lipstick for practicality and a few bold shades just for fun. I have deep set, hooded eyes and have already accepted the limitations. I’m really excited to get started and plan to use moderation at first. I picked some color palettes for my eyeshadow and blush that aren’t crazy. Even though drag queens are fabulous, that’s not the look I am going for.

Anonymous

That’s awesome! That’s a quality online store, too. Yes, the way to begin is with a good foundation. I never scrimp on that, the point of it is that it is to ‘even’ the skintone. Then you can apply on top of that. Concealers will help with saggy skin, but it must be done sparingly. The most common mistake I see  beginners make is to apply as many colours as possible without considering a starting tone to begin with which you want to be as close to your natural complexion as possible, the expectancy is that the bold look of colours will conceal your face, and just ‘transform’ your looks. It won’t, it just doesn’t work that way. Use your make up to work with your face and it will work ‘for’ you instead.

I wish you all the best!

I let the sales associate pick my foundation and concealer since she knew a lot more than me. I spent a solid two hours working on my eyes tonight. It was so much fun. I didn’t do any practicing with foundation, concealer, or anything else because, while I did trim my beard off today, I still need to shave with an actual razor.

Anonymous
            Lady

Mika while I am very happy for you after looking at your new profile pic I am afraid we may not be able to be friends…. I have been doing my makeup for 30+ years and your eyeliner job is much better than mine. Ugly jealousy here!!  😂😂. Your eyes look really great!

🍷C

LOL!! You have just made my day!

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I don’t think that you need “straightening out”. This is a valid question and maybe a “reality check” for some of us that let the dream interfere with what is possible.

I agree with you that the filter can be fun as a “what if” kind of thing. And I agree that it could lend to a little depression if you can’t meet that filter look and feel “what’s the point?” since you can’t look as feminine as the filter makes you appear.

So, I don’t have any issues with your point, it’s worth hearing. I never got past a passing playful approach with the filters, I think I used it twice. But, I see girls on Instagram that ONLY post “selfies” with the female filter in place. You can tell from the pics.

Long term I don’t think that they are doing themselves any favors. But what do I know?

Thanks for the topic! Have a great day!

I think you are spot on. That being said, my profile picture is majorly altered. I can definitely see how it could give an unrealistic expectation. For me, personally, it has been just for fun. Some apps retain more of ones original features when feminizing. I was very surprised when I noticed how FaceApp kept my low eyebrows and eye shape even after the feminizing filter was applied. Buuuut, I’m 47 years old and the feminine version looked middle aged as well. My profile photo is aged down quite considerably and I know it’s an unattainable look for me.

I had resisted using it at first since it wasn’t a true depiction of myself. But since today is going to be my first attempt at makeup and I had a full white Santa beard up until 3 hours ago, I decided to use it temporarily until I get some makeup skills.
      I think the key to these things is that people need to be realistic and understand what is and isn’t possible. It reminds me of the early stages of American Idol when someone has a very inflated opinion of their own abilities and when they open their mouth, it seems like they must be tone deaf or something and Simon Cowell has to give them a dose of reality. I know, before I even begin, my early makeup attempts are going to be quite amusing. I’m going to share my attempts as soon as I can and even plan to use them for my profile photos regardless of how bad they are.

Anonymous
        Lady

Mika I wish you the best with your makeup attempts. I remember 30+ years ago when I started trying to do real makeup work I resembled that clown in It quite a bit and was probably even more scary. I know you are going to see so many flaws and errors, but remember gg’s start playing with makeup as little girls and spend a lifetime perfecting their look, and some of them (go to Walmart and look around) never do get the hang of it. Don’t give up and keep trying.
        🍷C

Thank you. It’s really gonna be fun. I won’t let my early mistakes bother me. I’ll just laugh about them and keep practicing. And like you said, there are so many GGs that still seem like they don’t know what they are doing.

Anonymous

Hi Carolyne

Good subject….I’m not treading on toes here so I will just say..

every single picture I put out is me…as the majority are taken indoors, I alter the “red eye” if  I can….but I have one rule in my life….what you see is what you get…no surprises….

The only filter I use is in my coffee machine.!!!

and the world is in a big enough mess at the moment….if I stopped using Rimmel…. think of all those poor unemployed souls….

Smiles, grace 💋💋

Anonymous
        Lady

Grace I have no doubt your all natural and unfiltered and I LOVE IT!!  Way to many people in this world worried about what to say, wear, think etc…  Go for it girl!

🍷C

Anonymous

Thank you honey….off out soon to hit the sale rail….and I will go for it!!!

Huggs grace 💋

Anonymous

Each to their own ….but definitely not my thing , never even had heard of them until recently 😔😔

Hi Carolyne  same here dear as all my photos here are of the true me as i have had many years of practice and married 37 years and supportive as of all of them with wife she has never was much of a makeup girl so it was a learning experiance  on my own.  As im not blind i have commented to a few girls here on there profile picture as being passable to find out it was a filter which was ok but like you say it needs to say with photo that they are filtered not a true photo so I  dont sound like a idiot  . I understand its how you feel when you use a filter  but i feel like im Raquel Welch  but you see me as what you get as miss Grace said  hugs to all..

Stephanie Bass

Anonymous

Carolyne,

Very thought provoking subject! I used faceapp when a first started. It was an inspiration and showed me what I would have looking like if I was born with that extra X chromosome instead of the Y. Then I purchased some makeup, a couple wigs and got to work. I have been struggling with taking pictures that I am happy with. I have learned that using my cheap smart phone or tablet to take my pictures isn’t cutting it for me. Taking a selfie at arms length is not optimal for a quality picture. In fact, that close can cause distortion. When I look in the mirror I see one thing, look at the picture and something seems off. I need a decent camera with a timer or remote shutter control. It’s on my list of things to buy, but not a huge priority right now. My profile picture was the best of all the pictures that I have taken.

Kay

Anonymous
        Lady

Kay they make little blue tooth “camera” stands for smart phones that work pretty well. As for always seeing the flaws, I believe we all do. I am always my harshest critic and see all my needs for improvements.  I wish you the best with your makeup skills and think your picture looks nice.
        🍷C

Kay, even the newest smartphone camera pales in comparison to my old DSLR. Worse still, Some of the newer smartphone cameras have built in automatically applied filters! Are you *bleeping* kidding me?

I love Faceapp for taking every next level look I create to the next level.

Sometimes it’s hard to be see where to go once you’ve tried a few makeup tricks.

I find Faceapp really helps – although it also helps to keep a perspective that the transformation is a kind of ideal.

Most real women do not look as perfect as your Faceapp pictures!

I think it’s a good thing, taken for what it is – but a pretty picture is also a troll magnet.

If it was banned from this site, I wouldn’t be unhappy – but I do like seeing the image in my profile picture, reminding me all the time of the person behind the pretty picture that I would like to become.

Fantasy, yes. Absolutely. You got to have a dream… 😎

Love Laura

Anonymous
        Lady

Laura I wish you the best with your dream and have mine as well and as long as we are realistic about our dreams they harm no one. My concern was that these apps created an unrealistic appearance and dream. I would love to knock 30 years off my appearance (and back and knees) but that is unrealistic even in dream land. For ladies just beginning to discover themselves setting an unrealistic goal may go further to destroying those dreams than encouraging them?  Then again,  I’m just an old broad from before all this high tech stuff and I still think 4 track reel to reel players are pretty cool!

🍷C

Honestly setting unrealistic expectations is always the argument for people that don’t like Faceapp. I suppose that might be a problem for someone young and immature, but I’m also an older gal and I love it because it does just that, it helps me dream.

Carolyn, no doubt about it, reel to reels ARE cool.

I never could be bothered to thread them every time, so I stick with my vinyl collection.

😎

Love Laura

Anonymous
            Lady

Laura I still have mine but am out of blank tapes. Now its just the old ones I let play.
            🍷C

Samantha G…..
      Ambassador

I was gonna say what Kitty said, I think we just need to keep practicing and eventually you get a standard makeup look that works for you. I know I get into trouble when I try to stray from my look, but sometimes it’s just fun to play with new makeup looks if I’m just staying home.

A couple of my gallery pics were altered with PortraitPro software but I always display that fact in the memo section next to the pic. It’s fun to see what “could be” but as long as you are honest about it I don’t have an issue with it.

Hugs,

Samantha G.

So I do want to give my two cents here. Many of you know that I am a commercial photographer and film maker and have mad Photoshop skills. When I do portraits of folks I do indeed touch them up. I have the power to completely change everything about them. The shape of their face the size of their nose. The color of there hair. Do I do it? Absolutely not! My philosophy on touch up is that they should still look like themselves. If there is a zit or something that should not be there then I remove it. I will soften skin or tidy up hair. Whiten eyes a bit or teeth a bit but that is about all. I know it is fun to use the face app to see what you could look like and I am fine with that. But the sisters that only post the face app’s of themselves, well I just wont comment on them. Part of being your self is owning who you are warts and all. Ok I am off my soap box now. I do love you all and say all those things with love.
      Have a lovely weekend
      Diane

I agree with this sentiment, Diane, which is why I am keen to let people know that I have FaceApped my profile picture, but still have undoctored photos in my gallery.

I love what I’ve achieved so far, but the possibilities are endless.

Love Laura

Yes they are hun. I do appreciate it when the lady’s put the face app disclaimer up. I think it is only fair. Have a lovely weekend.
          Diane

Carolyne

I know when I first used the FaceApp it blew me away.  I couldn’t believe what I could possibly look like.  As many have said, as long as you dont get lost in the “FANTASY” look, I think its ok.  I used my FaceApp pic as mainly a reference and motivation to improve my real skills.  Now that I have a decent handle on the makeup I certainly prefer my real pictures.

Like Diane said, you gotta be able to love yourself, flaws and all.

xo Robyn 😁❤️

Anonymous
        Lady

Robyn I can certainly agree with the sentiment of accepting and loving yourself. I know learning makeup is not only difficult but literally an art and most artists do take lessons and learn from other sources. Good luck with your continued makeup skills and do what you need to keep learning.
        🍷C

Ashley
      Lady

I was really reluctant to try Faceapp at first, but once I did I couldn’t resist posting some pics. It’s just too much fun! I’ve never been under any illusions about it being any more than a fantasy, and it seems like all the other regular members who use it feel the same. I hope to post photos with only makeup and no post-processing of any kind someday, but right now I’m just not sure when that will be.

One thing that I’m not sure has been brought up: Those of us that are not full time CD’s, or otherwise not fully open with our CD’ing may not want to post any photos that look too much like our everyday selves, but it can feel liberating to have some kind of representation of yourself up, even if it isn’t very realistic. Apps and filters provide a good outlet for that, with a lot less effort than making yourself unrecognizable using only makeup. Some members may be in situations where it isn’t realistic to be able to keep a makeup collection, and take the time and effort to learn how to use it.

Anonymous
        Lady

Ashley that is the best reason I have heard yet, anonymity. It does go to show that it changes your image to a point of not being “you” though.
        🍷C

That’s kinda where I have been. I love using FaceApp and I use it often. I just bought my makeup this week. When this was posted in the forum, I still hadn’t tried using any of the makeup. Today was my first attempt. I only did my eyes and used the result for my new profile picture.

As you mentioned, I have thought about the ramifications of posting a photo in full femme glory when I do full makeup and my wig and first dress arrives. But I have also thought about why anyone in my city that isn’t interested in crossdressing would spend enough time here to find that soon to be posted picture. I really haven’t been concerned about it after giving it some thought. Besides, once I gave in to the pink fog and spent a week here at CDH, I stumbled upon a friend that I have known for years and recognized her. Now we have this in common and are going to do girl stuff together. So, in a way, being recognized here isn’t really a bad thing considering who is spending time here. I really don’t have an issue with anyone using FaceApp here though.

Ashley
          Lady

What a wonderful coincidence, meeting someone you know here! I’d love to know if someone I know in person was also a CD. I did have a similar thought about being discovered on here, I didn’t discover this place myself until after I’d done a bunch of reading about cross dressing, so I figure anyone in my life I don’t want knowing about any of this probably has no idea about CDH and no reason to go looking. I wasn’t planning on posting any pics at first, but that thought was part of what pushed me to do it.

On the other hand, image searching and facial recognition is getting better all the time, and privacy is never a sure thing, especially online, so for those of us who may not want to be fully “out”, it’s still good to be careful.

Mika I had had that exact same thought process, I’m almost waiting for the recognition and the ensuing conversation!

‘Filters’ have wreaked havoc on my youngest daughters self image (and she is absolutely beautiful just like her Mom!)

Its possible that people bothered by their self image would have latched onto the images in magazines and TV a generation or so ago.

Anonymous
        Lady

Rei I am sorry to hear that. I thought it was just an image issue for us, but that just confirms to me the damage these things can unintentionally do. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
        🍷C

Rei

Fortunately we are old enough to appreciate the potential dangers, but that’s one of my fears – that younger people may not be, and it’s sad to have confirmation, but not unexpected.

Please reassure your daughter frequently that she is more beautiful than ever – and maybe take the opportunity to play with the app and show the transformation effects on you to help understand it’s fakeness (as a suggestion)?

Love Laura

That’s a great idea. If she can see what the software does to feminize a male face in drab, maybe she’ll see it isn’t necessarily realistic to expect the same results with makeup. I mean we can create illusions with makeup, that’s its purpose. But the software also only creates illusions. And they can hurt those with a vulnerability to self image.

Rei you bring back memories. Consoling my beautiful daughter during her high school years was a full time job for me.

Yup, even yesterday the two of us spent some time alone together discussing this. It’s so sad and painful to witness.

I’m assuming she’s in high school. It was an awful time for my daughter, she struggled to make friends, gained weight, yada yada yada. Today she’s uber cool, thin, tatooed, and has a high profile boyfriend. so… just sayin.

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I posted my 1st Faceapp photo today. I didn’t have time to apply makeup so I figured I’d give it a try. I used the makeup filter and that’s it. I was surprised that it was reasonably close to what I can do in 45 minutes. Not as good, but close. So in a pinch, I think these apps have their place.

Of course, I could have gone crazy and created an image that was totally fake. That might be fun, but it’s not something I’d post on any website.

Edie Majeski
      Baroness

I have also notice several members using photo aps to change their looks which I believe has a negative effect, simply because other member don’t know what these people really look like. Because most of my pictures are taken inside my apartment, which is somewhat dark, I use photoshop to clean my pictures and to remove a harsh shadows on my face using a flash. I do not, however, change my makeup or the shape of my face with photoshop.

Molly
      Duchess

Carolyne;

Unlike many of this site, I’m not in a hurry to take a lot of photos, and sometimes I do regret it.

I however have another reason to only post what comes out of face app or the instagram filter (which is worse).    I don’t want the facial recognition to tie to the two images of me together just yet.

I do know a thing or two about how pervasive the facial recognition components are, and do know that facebook will tie them together if I’m ever silly enough to post a picture on instagram or facebook.    And I know that my face is reasonably recognizable to these systems.

I am however quick to let people know that the image has a filter and I’m under no illusion that I can look exactly this way without Estrogen and probably surgery.    Closer with the makeup, but not quite that close.

I personally would love a world where it didn’t make a difference what I dressed as, but that doesn’t exist and there are, without a doubt, some aspects of my work that would be lost if I had public pictures that matched.

I would prefer the “working under constraints” rather than “being dishonest”, especially since I’ve always told anyone who’s commented on them that the face is a filter, and it’s recognizably me, but just not for a computer as yet.   Everything other than the face is completely real, (well… Forms rather than real boobs, but real silicon forms 🙂 )

-Molly

Anonymous
        Lady

Molly I do understand what you are saying. I have noticed that CDH pictures do tend to show up other places and even remember a member here found someone using her image as their own on another web site some years ago. The world is a scary intrusive place and I have often wondered in how many databases the government or some “agency” has cross referenced me with my male side. My opinion is my wife knows so there is no way to “blackmail” me with it and if my employer tried to use it to terminate me I would get a good legal settlement before it was done so whatever. That said I respect the privacy and concerns of others here to do what they feel safest with. Good luck in the world of big brother!

🍷C

Anonymous

Sammy girl…

Outspoken, maybe….no, ………definitely..hehe

..but rough around the edges…I don’t think so…your profile pics are always so cute ( I loved the side on pic you used when I first joined)..and I do understand people trying to look glamorous….hell, I do…..but it’s lovely to chat with girls who you think look like……them!!!!

I really hope nobody takes offence… it’s just my opinion

Love, grace xx

Anonymous
      Lady

Ms Sa•man•tha I so totally understand what you mean by old school tricks. I still have my 35mm with all its filters and lenses and even though they may enhance the quality of the pictures they certainly don’t fundamentally change the subject. As for rough edges, anyone without them isn’t being honest. As I am sure with many here I had to hide or be deceptive about myself throughout life. Not only did this lead to me lying to others but also myself. My wonderful wifey has helped me become honest and open with not just her but myself and I believe if we are not careful these manipulative apps can lead us down a bad path. We may believe that is truly an attainable goal and make ourselves very miserable trying to become something that doesn’t exist instead if someone who is happy with themself.
      🍷C

Anonymous

That’s very well said and very fair. 🙂

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?