- January 7, 2023 at 9:35 am #707512Michelle McQueenParticipantRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Some of you may know I’ve wanted my ears pierced for a while now but held off because of seeing family over the holidays and not wanting to have that discussion. Well now the holidays are past so yesterday I went to a local head shop where they do piercings. It was a popular place and had lots of good reviews so I showed up there before the doors opened to beat the crowd. There was already three young girls ahead of me so I got in line and waited. I felt out of place among those twenty something females but was determined. I never saw anyone near my age while I was there and some of the shoppers gave me a questioning look but no one said a word. I’m sure they don’t see many old men like me there getting piercings.
After the store opened I filled out some paperwork, paid, and waited. I was so excited to be there. When it came my turn the piercer was a girl in her thirties and was very professional and very nice explaining everything and answering my questions. The entire process only took about twenty minutes. When finished, I looked in the mirror at my new studs and was so happy to have checked off a bucket list item. I picked out small silver ball studs. I gave the girl a nice tip and will give a good review for the place.
It was kind of surreal since I haven’t been in a head shop since the 60’s and it was interesting seeing all the items they carried. It brought back many memories of trips to Atlanta back in my young hippie days. I bought the wife some of her favorite incense and think I’ll be back there for more incense or who knows even more piercings.
Total of 29 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- January 12, 2023 at 6:04 pm #708892Jasmine AndrewsLadyRegistered On: February 24, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 91Has thanked: 26 timesBeen thanked: 302 times
Firstly, congratulations, I hope you love them as much as I love mine, which I had done when I was 51. It’s been almost 3 years, and only 1 person has said anything negative to me, and I live in a fairly conservative part of the country. The problem I have experienced with them is I have even less impulse control when it comes to buying earrings than I have with buying shoes, which is pretty much none.
- January 13, 2023 at 5:07 am #708994Michelle McQueenLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Hello Jasmine and thank you. I’ve only had mine about a week and although no comments I’ve noticed some people I see on a regular basis are checking my ears out. This is a conservative area but I’m a big guy so I doubt anyone will say anything good or negative. I don’t care and beginning to get excited about owning many more earrings. Impulse control? Whats that…. lol.
- January 12, 2023 at 10:25 am #708814Suzanne MartinHostessRegistered On: January 8, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 428Has thanked: 1832 timesBeen thanked: 1862 times
I keep thinking about getting mine pierced but not sure due to family and friends. I did have my left one pierced back in the 90’s but my wife (met and married after I got the piercing) didn’t care for it so I let it close. She recently asked me if I thought about getting them pierced when we were at a street fair and looking at jewelry. I told her I hadn’t but wouldn’t mind getting them pierced. We discussed it at a later time and she said it would be okay for Suzanne but not for her husband. I’m okay with that for now and use clip ons which work for me as it doesn’t require any explanation to family and friends (not that it is any of their business). Maybe I’ll get up the courage to get them done in the future.
- January 12, 2023 at 11:52 am #708828LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Hi Suzanne. I understand about being around family. The thing about piercing is you have to go through a healing period of weeks and weeks before you can take the initial studs out. You would have no choice but to present them to family and friends at some point during that period. Its a case of if you decide to do it then you have to just go for it no matter who sees them or what is said. Heres hoping you find the opportunity and courage to have it done in the future.
- January 11, 2023 at 5:47 pm #708612Lynda CharlesLadyRegistered On: January 4, 2023Topics: 1Replies: 11Has thanked: 163 timesBeen thanked: 61 times
My first piercing was done back in the 70’s, just a simple star stud (for Texas yall) done at local mall jewelry store. Only lasted about a year (due to career choices I removed it) Fast forward 40 years and still wanting another. So as of today, I have 4 solid gold captive bead rings and an industrial piercing in my ears. Got some looks when I got them and still get them occasionally now. But you know what, nobody cares. My kids and grand kids call me cool. I’m starting to think about changing them out for dangleys. I’m sure I’ll get some looks but I don’t care anymore. Life’s too short to worry about other people.
- January 12, 2023 at 9:03 am #708781LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
I agree with you Lynda, life is too short and getting shorter for us mature girls every day. Get those dangleys and wear them proudly. I see guys with dangles more and more and of course when dressed dangles are a must for a pretty girl.
My young granddaughter thinks piercings are cool too, her parents not so much… lol
- January 11, 2023 at 5:47 pm #708611Alice InbondsLadyRegistered On: November 5, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 19Has thanked: 55 timesBeen thanked: 110 times
That’s wonderful Michelle!
You know, I’ve been meaning to get my ears pierced for quite a while but I never get enough courage to do it.Mostly due to the family thing. I only wear clip earrings.
I’m happy for you, beautiful!
- January 12, 2023 at 9:09 am #708782LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Hi Alice. I understand the hesitation about getting piercings. I rolled it over and over in my mind thinking about what family and friends would think or say but this was something I’ve wanted for a long time. As I said I waited until after the holidays because I didn’t want to answer a lot of questions and I couldn’t get piercings before because of work but now retired so time to forge ahead. Not sure your age but as you become more mature I hope you can express your fem self more and go through with it. I really enjoy it now.
- January 11, 2023 at 2:55 pm #708571Cerys BurtonLadyRegistered On: February 2, 2021Topics: 73Replies: 233Has thanked: 213 timesBeen thanked: 1960 times
I had my ears pierced just over a year ago at 54. One of the best things I have ever done. I should have done it decades ago! I now have dozens of pairs of earrings, ranging from studs to HUGE hoops and very heavy “danglers”.
The great thing about earrings is they can cost next to nothing, or cost large amounts of money. I don’t have any expensive ones, but I have a few pairs that look very much like earrings costing many hundreds of pounds…. Glass can shine as bright as diamonds 🙂
Don’t rush the removal of the studs. I’d wait at least 6 weeks, and then take it easy before putting anything heavy in. Let the tunnel through the lobe fully heal and form.
Enjoy earrings…. They really add the final touch and the feel of a heavy pair of earrings swinging in the ears is amazing!
- January 12, 2023 at 9:15 am #708783LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Yes Cery it is one of the best things I’ve done to express my fem self. Even though I can’t see the earrings all the time they do make me feel girly just knowing they are there and when seeing in a mirror its a little thrill each time.
I want heavy hoops and dangles and big thin hoops too like I see many women wear. I know there are huggies that can be heavy and look nice on a guy too. So many choices! Making a wish list on Amazon and can’t wait.
- January 11, 2023 at 6:55 am #708439Rilee SnowLadyRegistered On: October 31, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 45Has thanked: 47 timesBeen thanked: 215 times
I know first hand how piercings can become an obsession. When I was 19, I got my first piercing on my lip.. and then proceeded to get 20+ more over the years lol. I’ve worked my way back down to just 9 now 😅 I will warn you that if you start to get up into the cartilage of your ears it’s going to hurt a lot more. I got an industrial bar in my right ear(also when I was 19) and to this day remains the most painful piercing I ever got… And that’s saying something considering where my current piercings are located lol
- January 12, 2023 at 8:59 pm #708929Lynda CharlesLadyRegistered On: January 4, 2023Topics: 1Replies: 11Has thanked: 163 timesBeen thanked: 61 times
- January 14, 2023 at 6:48 am #709279Rilee SnowLadyRegistered On: October 31, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 45Has thanked: 47 timesBeen thanked: 215 times
I used to have my nipples done too, and I would agree that they were incredibly painful. Not to mention they never quite healed properly. One fell out one night when I was drunk on spring break and that was the end of my nipple piercings 😅 that’s another piercing I wouldn’t revisit
1 user thanked author for this post.
- January 11, 2023 at 7:05 am #708440LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Wow 20 piercings seems a lot. Thanks for the warning. I feel sure that I’ll get more ear piercings in the future. You know girls suffer for fashion and ear piercings is one of those areas. I’ve always thought a nose piercing would be the most painful but idk. I can’t even think of that without rubbing my nose.. lol.
- January 13, 2023 at 7:46 am #709058Lynda CharlesLadyRegistered On: January 4, 2023Topics: 1Replies: 11Has thanked: 163 timesBeen thanked: 61 times
- January 12, 2023 at 8:27 am #708777LadyRegistered On: October 31, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 45Has thanked: 47 timesBeen thanked: 215 times
haha I don’t know if I would consider an ear piercing as “suffering” for fashion. I got mine pierced with an 8 gauge needle(although the piercer offered to do a hole punch at 0 gauge) and I barely even noticed it. Of course that’s probably pretty easy for me to say considering when I finally got my ears pierced I already had like 14 piercings lol. I’d imagine a nose piercing wouldn’t feel too good either though.. I’ve got my septum pierced and that definitely falls on the list of the more painful piercings I’ve had done. Its not visible in any of my public pictures(only my profile pic) because every time I shave and do my makeup I flip the ring up inside my nose and forget that its there haha
- January 10, 2023 at 8:47 am #708193Deborah SullivanLadyRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 2Replies: 1075Has thanked: 5438 timesBeen thanked: 4736 times
Congrats Michelle. Wear those silver balls with pride now and get those faux diamond studs to wear as well. You will be surprised at how often you will find yourself wearing them. More piercings are sure to follow. It is so nice that now you can wear big hoops or dangling earrings without the worry of losing them. This time next year you will have more than a dozen pairs and be feeling even more girlie.
- January 11, 2023 at 5:57 am #708430LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Thank you dear. At this time I can’t even imagine not wearing earrings. Yes for sure I’ll have many pairs by this time next year. I’m afraid it may become a new obsession but I don’t mind. The selection is endless. Hoops and dangles… yea!
- January 9, 2023 at 12:03 pm #707972LESLEE CarterLadyRegistered On: December 31, 2022Topics: 2Replies: 18Has thanked: 34 timesBeen thanked: 89 times
Congratulations on crossing of an item On your bucket list. I wanted my ears pierced for so long but never had the nerve. Than one day I was shopping on “Wish” the Chinese mail site and I saw these self contained devices designed to pierce your ears. And place a stud in, for you. so I ordered two sets and waited.
when they shoed up I was to nervous to use them at first. But last year around the beginning of December I tried one piercer out. I washed my ears, wiped them down with peroxide.
At first it was hard to do, but I squeezed the plunger down and heard two clicks. Presto my stud was in place and my ear was pierced. I pierced my other ear shortly after around the second week in January I was able to take my stud out and put other ear rings in. Enjoy your newly pierced ears Michelle
- January 7, 2023 at 12:40 pm #707568Lauren MugnaiaDuchessRegistered On: November 1, 2021Topics: 24Replies: 645Has thanked: 10798 timesBeen thanked: 3665 times
Congrats Michelle!, your only issue now will be having patience while the new holes heal.
I was able to change to small hoops and drop earrings after five months, so mark the day on your calendar girl!
Ms. Lauren M
- January 7, 2023 at 12:09 pm #707562Michelle SkylarLadyRegistered On: March 18, 2021Topics: 3Replies: 287Has thanked: 1127 timesBeen thanked: 1111 times
- January 9, 2023 at 10:46 am #707955Jill LaceyLadyRegistered On: December 25, 2022Topics: 3Replies: 120Has thanked: 50 timesBeen thanked: 367 times
going back to my hippie days, we did out own and just swabbed them daily with peroxide. of course they grew in over the years so I had them done again but put a small hoop in right away and rinsed with peroxide nightly rotating the hoop regularly. No idea why they would want you to wait so long.
- January 10, 2023 at 7:56 am #708180LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
I’ve wanted pierced ears ever since hippie days but never could because of work and family. Now retired I’m expressing my feminine self that has quietly (mostly) been waiting for this time of my life where I just don’t care what others think. Yes I could have gone with something else besides small studs but wanted to get used to them before going to something nicer and more obvious. I’m making a wish list on Amazon and starting to buy pretty earrings for the coming day I can wear them. I don’t want to risk an infection so following the pirecers instructions being patient. I’m already thinking of getting more ear piercings.
- January 7, 2023 at 3:33 pm #707602
- January 7, 2023 at 12:04 pm #707561Michelle IsgurlyLadyRegistered On: October 12, 2021Topics: 13Replies: 89Has thanked: 234 timesBeen thanked: 501 times
- January 7, 2023 at 3:32 pm #707601LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Hi Michelle. Yep, I already want more lol. How many can one get in an ear? With my big ears it could be a lot.
- January 7, 2023 at 3:36 pm #707604
- January 7, 2023 at 11:03 am #707530Rozalyn RichardsLadyRegistered On: July 27, 2022Topics: 0Replies: 724Has thanked: 742 timesBeen thanked: 2809 times
Well done Michelle, that’s one of the things on my list to get my ears pierced, I’ve seen pictures of some girls who have 3 or 4 piercing in one ear it looks fabulous, to have 2 or 3 studs and a earring in one ear would be so sexy,
Hugs Rozalyn X 🎀
- January 7, 2023 at 11:11 am #707533LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Thanks Rozalyn. Yes I’ve admired those girls with multiple earrings, they look so feminine and sexy. I’m afraid I’ve unleashed something within me and already thinking of more ear piercings. Can’t wait until the healing time is past.
- January 7, 2023 at 10:55 am #707528Alice UnderwireLadyRegistered On: September 16, 2019Topics: 98Replies: 5801Has thanked: 7806 timesBeen thanked: 15267 times
- January 7, 2023 at 11:07 am #707532
- January 7, 2023 at 9:56 am #707517Sherri RemingtonDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: August 8, 2018Topics: 2Replies: 159Has thanked: 154 timesBeen thanked: 644 times
Good for you Michelle, I’ve had my left ear pierced since the mid 70’s, I did it myself. So my wife over the years has always bought me earrings which come in pairs. A good thing because I usually loose one of them, but a year ago she bought me diamond studs which I’m in love with and have worn every day since. Well to get back to getting ears pierced this year she gave me 2 pair of earrings both of which I adore, so I’m thinking of getting a second piercing in my left ear and my right ear pierced. That way I can wear my diamond and another full pair if earrings. Getting close to doing it since on my drive home every day I pass a tattoo shop.
- January 7, 2023 at 10:42 am #707525LadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 31Replies: 1814Has thanked: 13079 timesBeen thanked: 9125 times
Thank you Sherri.
I’m so happy to have finally done this. Its a small step toward expressing my femininity farther along. Sometimes we just have to do it and move forward. I can’t wait to wear hoops, huggies, and dangles… the selection is endless. The first suggestion my piercer offered was diamond studs but being my first time I wanted something less attracting until I could get used to this. I’m already thinking of maybe more ear piercing but we will see after the healing period.
You mentioned a tattoo shop. Here in this state a tattoo shop can’t do piercings and vice versa. I’m not sure why that is. You should go for it then you can wear a complete set of earrings. I hope my wife will buy me earrings.
- January 7, 2023 at 9:47 am #707516Erika HendersonDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: November 26, 2022Topics: 5Replies: 204Has thanked: 1224 timesBeen thanked: 788 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.