• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 14 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

In chat recently, the topic of figuring out sizing for the plus size lady, as well as places to shop.

so, first a suggestion on trying to figure out your waist size as it converts from mens to womens…
      if you take your mens waist size and subtract 20-22 it will give you a starting point for womens sizes -> if you are a 36 mens, then then you are apx a 16 (14-16 as a starting point)
      This is not an exact science, but it will give you an idea of where to start

anyway, moving on to plus size shopping…
      the following is a list of stores that cater to girls with curves plus size and more
      Lane bryant – not only is this a plus size store, but they are very accepting and friendly to our community!
      torrid – can be a little pricy, but very cute and up to the moment styles
      catherines – have never shopped there but web catalog is supposed to be good, with large size range
      Avenue – carry sizes up to 8x or womens size 30/32
      dress barn
      charolette russe and rue 21 – both have what i would consider juniors plus….a small assortment of plus size in stores that cater to the high school/college age very cute if you are going for a younger look
      romans – another web catalog to order from
      almost every major dept store like macy’s nordstrom, jc penny, etc will also have a plus size or women’s dept.

I am sure there are ladies that can offer more suggestions as well, these were just some of the suggestions we came up with the other night as we were tying to help a new sister that was looking for help on the start of her journey – please add to this if you can think of any other options!

xoxo katie

I found out long ago that i am a 16/18 size. Always good to know.  Shoes are another issue however.  As for shopping for clothes for the bigger lady, i am a regular at the second hand clothes stores.  There are two in my town.  Both shops are very busy all the time.  And the racks are packed with really nice clothes that are my size. Altho i am a big boofy looking guy, no one cares what you buy.  Love it.  Bronwyn

I found a new place for shoes . .. Shoeshow.com.  They have regular retail stores too.  I found a lot of 12-13 wide.  Unfortunately, it appears that I am a 13 wide.  Bigger selection than I have seen at Payless plus some great sales and purses too.

Rose
      Lady

My wife is plus sized. Lane Bryant is her go-to store for every-day – jeans, etc – and some dressy stuff too. Torrid is her go-to store for “slutty” clothes. (Her phrase, not mine… shorter skirts, sheer tops, etc.) She’s also had some luck at J.C. Penney’s and Avenue.

Thanks for the other places to look. With the holidays coming up, having some places outside the usual is a nice option to have. And thanks for the shoe link, Georgia. I’ll check them out for sure! I love shoes! (something my male persona would never utter…)

Anonymous

Katie,

Thank you for the information.  I’m just starting but I have looked at enough sizing charts now to know that size seems to vary a good deal more than when I shop for men’s clothes.  I had not thought of Lane Bryant, so I’m really glad to get that information. I’m really in awe of all of  you ladies that have opened the doors forward for someone new like me.

xo

Plus size shopping – for clothes try the clearance section at Target. you can get lucky some times finding large sizes 2x or 3x and for boots, only up to size 11 but may find some in 11W.  I’ve ordered boots twice from  yoursclothing.co.uk without issues although you need to wait for their sales to come around to be price even.

Hello Jess, In reply to Plus size Clothes I, Found Several places that have Plus size.
      Macy’s has a good selection of Plus size clothing and shore and also a nice collection of Boots wide width and wide Calf. Target is another place I shop for Plus Size Clothing up 4 X .
      I have shopped mostly mail order also and At times shop in person. Macy’s does have some good sales along with Target. I also shop Roamans Plus size Clothing and shoes and Boots , Most of my Boots have come from Roamans has I also have a Boot fetish as well :). I wear a size 12 wide width also. Most have great Exchanges also. Hope this Helps.
      Hugs,
      Stacey s

Hi Stacey – same here for big time boot fetish. When out shopping thats first on the list. OTK boots can never get in the right size so have done some own modifications to existing boots from Torrid / Lane Bryant and Payless to get the OTK look and have even done a few thigh high boots too.

I have only bought pants and tops.  Pants I run a 12M.  Tops I run a 2X because of my shoulders and chest.  I originally considered a dress but to fit me on top, it’s going to be super big on bottom.  I was thinking about a top and a skirt separately.  However, I know skirts are usually worn higher on women than men.  Do I try to size the skirt on the 12 pant size basis?  If it’s sized large, is that based on waist or hips if you have to choose ?  Sorry for all of the questions.   I have only shooped a couple of times and been wearing male clothing at the time.

Thanks,

Georgia

Rose
      Lady

Sounds as though I’m built similar to you, Georgia. I’m a 12 bottom and XL top. For the bottom, I fit nicely into 12 pants and skirts. (I can also get away with the right dress, because the difference between top and bottom is only 2 sizes – 12 -> 16 (aka XL) – for me.)

My suggestion would be to find an inexpensive skirt in a size 12 and try it on to see how it looks and feels for you. Alternately, if you can buy from somewhere with a good return policy, that’s another good option just in case you don’t think it looks good.

Veronica
      Lady

I find Hips and Curves as well as Pink Queen have a lot of nice things for us bigger girls. I’m built like line backer, so I need larger sizes.

Rose
      Lady

Thanks, Veronica. I’m in the interesting position that I don’t wear plus clothing, but my wife does. With it being the holiday season, I’ll be sure to check those out to see if I can find anything for her.

It’s a pain in the behind trying to figure everything out myself. I’m 6’2, 320lbs. I have a 52″ waist and a 54″ chest. I don’t own any fem clothes right now, but been passing a lot of time at work browsing some websites and I have no clue what sizes to look for. Based on one site, I might wear roughly a size 32 dress, but it feels impossible to find anything in that size that doesn’t look frumpy.

Rose
      Lady

On a whim, I went and checked my browser on my phone – and I still had the tab open where I started my “size conversion” research. I recall using a few other sites, as well, and I don’t have those open any longer. But I started on this page on Susan’s Place. These sizes aren’t specific to plus sized clothing, and looking at it quickly it appears that it’ll need to be “extended” manually for you, Crystal. But maybe it helps get things started…

Amanda
      Lady

Yay! I’m a UK size 20 but often squeeze myself into an 18 lol. I also love bodycon dresses which don’t half slim you down.

Amanda xxxxxx

Anonymous

I shop at Catherine’s in store and online the clothes are great and my shopping in store has been a great experience the ladies are very helpful and returns from online is easy at the store.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?