- November 28, 2021 at 2:41 pm #582004Cerys BurtonParticipantRegistered On: February 2, 2021Topics: 58Replies: 182Has thanked: 198 timesBeen thanked: 1380 times
One of the most annoying things about the majority of female clothing is the lack of pockets. I have loads of clothes that don’t have pockets, or even worse those useless and seriously annoying fake pockets. They have a zip, but nothing inside. WHY??????
I’ve taken to searching out items that have pockets. Whilst, I have a bag, I don’t always want to carry one around. I can understand dresses not having pockets, but skirts and trousers????
Any clothing designers out there? If so pockets. Please build real pockets into your designs.
Does anyone share my love of the humble pocket?
Total of 21 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- December 14, 2021 at 6:46 am #588885Lacey WhiteLadyRegistered On: December 8, 2021Topics: 6Replies: 172Has thanked: 322 timesBeen thanked: 766 times
Also decorative non-functional pockets. Why? You went through the trouble of making a pocket and then rather than stopping you chose to do more work!
My wife laid down the law though. She said, “Baby, I need you to know that if you ever decide to leave the house dressed in cute clothes we need to coordinate and make sure we are not both wearing cute clothes at the same time. One of us has to have the cargo pockets in this relationship at all times.”
- December 14, 2021 at 6:30 am #588876Jin CrockerLadyRegistered On: November 15, 2019Topics: 4Replies: 453Has thanked: 30 timesBeen thanked: 1446 times
I am a pocket lover too. I often sew my own into dresses and skirts. I do not need a large pocket, just enough for my ID, debit card, a few bills, and car keys. Nothing bulky enough to make more bulges than I already have!
- December 13, 2021 at 11:06 pm #588782Quinetta HarrisLadyRegistered On: January 9, 2021Topics: 3Replies: 90Has thanked: 180 timesBeen thanked: 324 times
My suggestion is to find a good fashion designer that does alterations (like the one I have) and have that person customize the clothes you have. And you can always buy the male versions of jeans and pants and have that same person feminize the look of the jeans/pants and you’ll still have the benefit of all the pockets that male bottoms have. Pleading with these name brand female clothing designers is just going to fall on deaf ears sweetie.
- December 6, 2021 at 9:35 am #584960Lara TuckerLadyRegistered On: September 29, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 313Has thanked: 7622 timesBeen thanked: 1399 times
I don’t get out en femme so I haven’t had a problem with the lack of pockets. I do have a couple of dresses that came with a pocket. I don’t think I could fit much in them though.
In male mode I’m almost always in cargo pants or shorts. Pockets packed!
- December 6, 2021 at 7:37 am #584946Charlene VictoriaLadyRegistered On: November 29, 2016Topics: 27Replies: 244Has thanked: 1460 timesBeen thanked: 1467 times
This seems like a mixed bag (pun intended) forum post. I understand the desire for pockets because in male mode that is what we are used to. Thus pockets are desired because they are familiar and so darn practical. Yes?
I don’t have the opportunity to dress near as often as I would like, so when I can slip into a pair of women’s slim fit jeans, I revel in a heightened sense of femininity (even though I am in pants) precisely because the pockets are only big enough for a quarter or, as in the back rear pocket 1/2 of my phone. Though this positioning seems a bit precarious for something as important as our communication lifeline, I enjoy the look as I have noticed many a women carries her phone this way when she is sans purse. So this half in half out look heightens my femme feelings as does a well tucked flat front at the zipper.
Would I like deeper pockets? I suppose if I was doing more than taking an evening walk in my skinny jeans. Yes that would be convenient. But if I had the opportunity to do more than just the walk, well then I would need a purse wouldn’t I? Oh! I would gladly and proudly carry it for in so doing I would be enjoying a wonderful milestone in my journey into womanhood.
(Oh yes, dreams can come true!)
- December 5, 2021 at 10:07 am #584690Eileen BachBaronessRegistered On: February 27, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 145Has thanked: 79 timesBeen thanked: 658 times
These complaints are so funny! Guys spend their life checking out a lady’s, um, caboose. Then when you all wear the same style jeans, you want to load them up with crap.
Guys be-hinds aren’t much to look at anyway, so carry the wallet, keys, pocket knife, fishing gear, you want. When presenting as a woman, get with the program.
Womens clothing pockets are mainly for carrying a hankie, or merely decorative.
- December 4, 2021 at 8:10 pm #584490Stephanie HayesLadyRegistered On: December 14, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 98Has thanked: 61 timesBeen thanked: 259 times
- December 2, 2021 at 2:17 pm #583609Felicia MarsLadyRegistered On: May 2, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 44Has thanked: 332 timesBeen thanked: 203 times
LOL if my wife read this she would want to reply and definitely not in a happy way.
For gg’s this is definitely a known problem and has a long and storied (even political) history. Suffice it to say that gg’s are as annoyed with the “no pocket” problem as we are.
- December 2, 2021 at 2:03 pm #583603
- December 2, 2021 at 12:33 pm #583572Barb WireDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: September 16, 2021Topics: 14Replies: 636Has thanked: 3703 timesBeen thanked: 3367 times
NO, NO!! If I had pockets I would surely put an handful of junk in each of them! I’ve already got enough bulges on my bloated-body, thank you very much Supreme Being!
I like that uninterrupted and smooth look when femmy. In fact, I get a bit out-of-sorts when I see a wrinkle.
Love, Barb 😊
- December 2, 2021 at 11:59 am #583565Rayna CarlianDuchessRegistered On: March 4, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 368Has thanked: 521 timesBeen thanked: 1253 times
I was told that designers don’t want to ruin the intended lines of their clothes by letting people pack crap into the pockets…. So, blame the fashion industry.
I have a couple of casual skirts with real pockets.
But, mostly I have to carry a purse…
- November 30, 2021 at 12:25 pm #582833Natalie JonesLadyRegistered On: September 20, 2020Topics: 1Replies: 49Has thanked: 159 timesBeen thanked: 254 times
I wrote elsewhere here that I’ve begun stealth dressing. As of now only in the summer when I work mostly outside. I have several pair of women’s work shorts. I’m fine with the shorter zipper as I sit to pee mostly. But the small pockets even in work shorts is annoying. On one pair the back pockets are fake! Another pair has a hammer loop, I know it’s just for design but how about a deeper pockets form my phone! I will have to say it’s been fun. I don’t get a chance to fully dress often. So this is the next best thing for me. But please make pockets a little bigger !
- November 30, 2021 at 5:06 am #582715Bianca EverdeneLadyRegistered On: April 11, 2017Topics: 29Replies: 912Has thanked: 4042 timesBeen thanked: 3987 times
Womens jeans, trousers & skirts tend to be more fitted and the line/silhouette of the item would be spoiled by the outline of a big pocket or anything contained therein.
Whereas big pockets in most men’s shapeless loose jeans/trousers are barely noticeable.
Great excuse to carry a 👜
I know it is a joy to many women who find big pockets in loose skirts/trousers, I guess one small thing some women miss. So they get dresses, skirts, bodysuits, lingerie, tights/stockings, heels, knee high boots, silk, satin, lace, Lycra, leggings, handbags, makeup, jewellery, nail polish, etc etc…and men get…big pockets🤣
- November 29, 2021 at 11:28 pm #582642Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 37Replies: 1565Has thanked: 5064 timesBeen thanked: 7775 times
- November 29, 2021 at 11:37 pm #582644AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
- November 29, 2021 at 9:59 pm #582632Alison AndersonDuchessRegistered On: October 15, 2018Topics: 11Replies: 698Has thanked: 555 timesBeen thanked: 3041 times
My daughter has the same complaint, and that’s even with pants. She goes looking for pants with pockets.
I have a couple of skirts and dresses with pockets, but the majority of them don’t have. If you want something with pockets, just use it as a search term.
When I go out for a walk in the summer, I usually just have a house key, a camera and my phone. To carry this, I usually use a fanny pack instead of carrying a full size bag. If I’m going shopping somewhere, I’ll use a full size bag. In the cooler months, I’ll use a coat pocket.
When I was working exclusively from home at the beginning of the pandemic, I used to feel a bit naked going out with no pockets. But I have eventually learned to like it. So much so that I have removed some little used cards from my male wallet to make it smaller, and no longer carry around a change purse.
When I wear women’s jeans as a guy, I have to make some accommodations. First off, I usually carry my wallet in my front pocket. Women’s jean pockets s aren’t big enough for that, so I have to put my wallet in my back pocket, which is the same size as a guy’s jean pocket. When I would carry my phone (or phones, one personal and one for work), I would put it in my pocket vertically (portrait mode). Women’s jean pockets aren’t deep enough, but fortunately they are wide enough to put in horizontally (landscape mode).
I really wish there could be a mix either in guy or gal mode. Yes I like having some things in pockets. But I also appreciate the ability to carry extra stuff (camera, pen and or paper, maybe a second card-only wallet, or keeping an extra mask) in a bag. I’ve got to the point I’d rather not stuff my pockets, just keep essentials there.
And Cerys, I totally agree with you on the phony pockets. If you’re not going to make a pocket (even something small enough for some folded money), don’t waste your time and effort putting in a phony pocket. To me that’s not style, that’s just stupid.
- November 29, 2021 at 10:58 am #582411Sarah KanterLadyRegistered On: April 25, 2019Topics: 7Replies: 63Has thanked: 141 timesBeen thanked: 421 times
Pockets create bulges that mess up the figure, so no pockets for women.
Even as a man, I don’t like carrying things in my pockets as it is usually uncomfortable. I never put my keys there unless I have no choice.
- November 29, 2021 at 9:52 am #582385Angela BoothLadyRegistered On: August 1, 2020Topics: 7Replies: 758Has thanked: 2827 timesBeen thanked: 3854 times
Girls carry hand bags, as a rule. Any pockets are for holding a tissue or something small. Pockets in female clothes are small for that reason and we have to adjust to that mindset. There are quite a few clothes that do have pockets and I tend to look for them and find quite easily. If there are no pockets then I will wear a cardigan that has them and always have a handbag.
- November 29, 2021 at 4:18 am #582316Raquel SmithLadyRegistered On: August 26, 2021Topics: 8Replies: 561Has thanked: 1709 timesBeen thanked: 1809 times
- November 29, 2021 at 2:46 am #582293Connie TwirlLadyRegistered On: August 18, 2021Topics: 16Replies: 591Has thanked: 1062 timesBeen thanked: 2712 times
- November 29, 2021 at 2:20 am #582289
- November 29, 2021 at 1:32 am #582288AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
Handbags!!!….they don’t have to be huge, if I am just popping out, I have a really small bag…just enough for keys and cash….
If you put the strap over your head, you cannot leave it or lose it…and the strap hanging between your breasts can really emphasise your figure…..
even in drab, stuffed pockets do nothing for me.
Lots of GG’s are wearing jeans, with a big ” slab” of a phone jammed in the back pocket…looks hideous
I recently bought a new coat on- line…on arrival, the pockets were false!!!….I do think pockets on coats and jackets are important…it was quickly returned….
Huggs, grace xx
- November 28, 2021 at 7:59 pm #582233MartiDuchessRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 53Replies: 841Has thanked: 4129 timesBeen thanked: 4000 times
I wear women’s jeans that look like men’s after just a few wears. Why? Stuffed pockets.
It’s a difficult one for me. Handbags or shoulderbags I can lose, or mislay, or forget, including the keys and money inside. I’ve never yet lost a front pocket in my male jeans which is where valuables have historically lived. I’m not bragging, rather I’m bemoaning my reluctance / inability to let go of pockets.
And long fingernails digging into deep pockets – fatal!
- November 28, 2021 at 4:14 pm #582125Regine KellyPrincessRegistered On: October 9, 2020Topics: 44Replies: 1470Has thanked: 20363 timesBeen thanked: 7012 times
Just my opinion, but the last thing I want when attempting to present a female figure, would be bulging pockets, anywhere.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Regine Kelly. Reason: spelling
- November 28, 2021 at 4:08 pm #582122Michelle McQueenLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 19Replies: 834Has thanked: 4633 timesBeen thanked: 4390 times
- November 28, 2021 at 4:05 pm #582119
- November 28, 2021 at 2:54 pm #582011SylviaLadyRegistered On: October 10, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 569Has thanked: 13643 timesBeen thanked: 2495 times
Dear Cerys ,
Being in male mode , I can’t do without pockets.
My left and right pockets are always filled.
Because a lot of women carry purses , the designers obviously think they don’t have
to put any in Female garments.
So I fully agree with you on that !
- December 6, 2021 at 11:00 am #584994
- December 6, 2021 at 7:46 am #584949Cerys BurtonLadyRegistered On: February 2, 2021Topics: 58Replies: 182Has thanked: 198 timesBeen thanked: 1380 times
I used to be an industrial electrician. Often, when I was an apprentice, I would have my hands in my pockets. This because my gaffer used to say “A good electrician always knows where his hands are”. If they were in my pocktes, I couldn’t go poking fingers in places where they shouldn’t be. 🙂
- December 6, 2021 at 10:37 am #584989Cerys BurtonLadyRegistered On: February 2, 2021Topics: 58Replies: 182Has thanked: 198 timesBeen thanked: 1380 times
I once dropped a rather large ring spanner across three phases inside a 600 amp bus bar chamber. A rather bright flash and a woomph noise as the spanner, and parts of the bus bars vapourised!Luckily, I turned away in time. I’d be blind now if I hadn’t. That’ll teach me to work on live bus bar chambers 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.