• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

For those girls who have tried wearing wigs. What type of wig do you wear i.e. natural or synthetic?

What style do you like best?

And do you have any tips on how to care for your wig?

I’ve tried a few synthetic wigs – both long and short styles and they just all seem to end up being a tangled mess. Are natural hair wigs a better choice? They are quite a bit more expensive but are they worth the extra cash?

Anonymous

Anne-Marie—I don’t have the $ for human hair………but I DO have several dozen synthetic, and mixed wigs…………..I don’t do short…………I very much like below shoulder, usually side part, then middle part and then some with whispy bangs………..I do the middle-or-the-road Noriko, Jen Renau,etc as their quality is better than cheap synthetic………..In my case, all medium cost wigs * $100-175 come with direction to clean, or just watch a video, that’s easy and ALL are heat resistant to flat-iron or blower….curling iron etc……I watch for current styles and it seems that now, straight longer bob’s seem popular about shoulder length with a turn in curl in the front…………something like that ( wife is the stylist)

As for your last comment………………

I haven’t met a wig, that when you go to bed, perfectly arranged and teased a bit, that I  DON’T wake up the next morning and it’s a big rat nest tangled blob on my head..but you can get used to that…….and this price range of wigs………they can be put back, ready for the next event !!! I’d suggest EBAY—filter by price—–look for YOUR style you like, AND I’d also suggest full-lace if you think you can do this—–better you tube How to glue LACE Wig….it’s a bit daunting but well worth it–and PAY PARTICULAR attention to everything said about BABY HAIRS………makes all the difference !

Mikki

Thanks Mikki.

I have tried a couple of longer synthetic wigs and one shorter which I bought of eBay but wasn’t really happy with them. I’m guessing that I was aiming to much at the lowr price range – I paid about £60 each for the longer wigs.

I didn’t sleep in them and bought a cage thimg to store them on (to try and help kerp there shape – but every time I put on one amd tried to make it look good, strands would become detached and the more I tried to ‘tame the thing’, the more tangled they became. Eventually gave up on the, ditched them and swore the next one I bought would be a natural hair type. That was a few years ago and I still haven’t got round to buying a new wig as the price is rather high for real hair.

I did grow my own hair to mid shoulder length but it got embarrassing when in male mode people began to presume that I was gay. Wouldn’t have been so bad if that wss true but not so when one isn’t.

Thanks again for your help with this Mikki.

Much appreciated.

Anne-Marie.

Anonymous

I think it was the price that resulted in your experience……….when I jumped to $130 or so, the quality difference was big………. I strongly urge you to do that……….and also be very selective in color………I have several blonde wigs that I wouldn’t wear to take the garbage out………….then………….I must be a bit older than you………if someone were to call me ‘gay’ or some other ignorant name, I wouldn’t even dignify that comment by even looking at the person………..any response only empowers those ‘types’ and there will be bullies wherever one may go………..I’ve also learned long ago that bullies and loudmouths are cowards inside……..demanding attention……….and I refuse to give them ANY…….

Hope you get a good wig—-it’ll make a huge difference………..if you can, try a mixed hair type–human and synthetic………gives you a ‘bounce’ not found in all synthetic and better to style.

Mikki

Tina Thompson
            Duchess

My experience is that 100% human hair wigs are cooler on my head, and that makes a difference where I live in the summer.

Synthetics, on the other hand, hold their styling longer and a good one is pretty hard to destroy if you’re any good at all with a wide-toothed comb and a de-tangling brush.

Another nice about a blonde human-hair wig is that you can rehabilitate it with a new color. I think they are easier to restyle too, but that’s an opinion borne out of ignorance.

Anonymous

Anne-Marie

I tried the Ebay wigs too, big waste of money. I have one I bought from a Wig Shop for around $100 that looks great and  I’m able to brush and style it.  It’s long as I dont like the shorter ones.  I also have one that i  bought from Adam and Eve. Dont remember the cost but it works well also. It does knot up a little more, but I am able to brush it and/or pick it out with a hair pic.

Chelly

Anonymous

Hi Chelly–don’t deny that buying from Ebay is challenging……….but wigs are pretty self-explanatory if certain ‘tactics’ are employed…………like

1. Search a BRAND MAKER—like Noriko, Jen Renau, Raquel Welch, etc……..these are big and very legitimate manufacturers……they know their product and do have various price ranges as well as many-many styles.

2. I do NOT shop by STORE NAME, who carry all brands, cheap to expensive and usually end up paying the STORE markup.

3. Crossdresser wigs on ebay is very challenging.  Vegas Girls does a good local business and their ebay presentation is for those special over-the-top girls or queens.  I’ve bought two from them, they were packed well, styled just as the photo and worked for me just as expected……..but not an everyday, out for lunch event………

4.  I’ve purchased over 500 items on ebay over the years and maybe less than 10% were crap–while NOT all were for Mikki—most were……..my overall experience is very good on ebay……I’ve got ten things watching now………most of my shoes (13) were from Ebay, and I never had a bad experience, maybe 50 pairs over the years and am looking again now.

I’ve got a lot of wigs—-seven now that aren’t out of the box yet—-but if I need another—I’d search on Ebay first—-better price, faster shipping and plenty of other customer reviews………

Would offer help if needed——–a girl needs more than ONE wig !!!  Just my opinion.

Mikki

Anonymous

Hello Mikki.

Thanks for all the detailed information.  I will definitely try shopping by name brand a little more with that information.  I have five, but really only wear two. I have a short wavy one my girlfriend likes, but I dont, a red one that is a tangled mess, and a long black one that I like pretty good. My two favorites, the ones I wear the most are medium length browns with blonde high-lites, one straight, one wavy.  I also have a pink one for those feeling young and flirty occasions.  Again, Thank you for all the info. Will probably be Ebay shopping later today. I really want a curly one.

Chelly

Anonymous

I also like the brunette with highlights–lace–with about medium length……I like the lace part b’cause you can get the brush back look, which I find very sexy………

but, please………….don’t blame me !!!

Mikki

I have about 10 or 11 wigs including one real hair. My preferred wig is synthetic but this is based on style and fit for the appearance I which to achieve.

There are many dynamics for wig styles and how they fit a person and most wig websites provide guidelines for choosing. Ultimately a wig need to be tried on while in full fem including makeup.

There are pros and cons to either hair makeup. I personally am extremely happy with my synthetic wigs but also take good care of them. Proper washing, using a spray when cleaning/brushing is critical, going over it and removing the tiny kinks and tight curls they develop to keep it in top form. I have had many people ask if it’s real hair or my own hair.

I believe you get what you pay for in a wig to some degree. I doubt I would consider a synthetic at less then 150/160 and would probably cap the top at 300. As far as a human hair wig I have seen the $ range huge. It would really have to be an exceptional look for me to spend 500.

As far as care goes check the websites as they have all the correct info.

Sandy

Jackie
      Ambassador

I personally love every wig, well almost any. From shoulder length to wiga reaching my butt. I prefer real hair but I own several synthetic as well. About taking care of them, get styrofoam heads to leave them on, or take them in one hand and slide it through the other kind of like they are when you buy them. If laying them down do the same thing and always lay the on they’re sides.

Marianne
      Ambassador

I have about half a dozen synthetic wigs and two out of human hair.  Most of them I have bought second hand on the swedish branch of eBay, named Tradera. It seems many former cancer patients sell their high quality wigs at bargain prices after treatment. I think I payed $200 for the most expensive human hair wig, that probablu was about $800 new and used only twice according to the seller. I find the human hair wigs slightly better looking and more versatile, but use two of my synthetic ones about as much as those. I have mainly longer wigs, ending well below shoulders, but have recut my first synthetic wig to a bob style (in front of the bathroom mirror) reaching just below the ears and looking very natural on me.

Thanks for this Marianne

Which type of wig do you find easiest to manage / care for?

Its a good tip to look for redundant wigs on ebay. I will keep an eye open on there.

Regards

Anne-Marie.

Anonymous

[quote quote=172504]I personally love every wig, well almost any. From shoulder length to wiga reaching my butt. I prefer real hair but I own several synthetic as well. About taking care of them, get styrofoam heads to leave them on, or take them in one hand and slide it through the other kind of like they are when you buy them. If laying them down do the same thing and always lay the on they’re sides.

[/quote]
      I am the same, I love almost every wig. I wish I could afford more human hair wigs, I have mostly synthetic. I learned how to take care of them by trial, error and some youtube videos.

For anyone who is curious, here is what I keep in my train case….

Synthetic Conditioner  –  If you store the wig correctly and don’t really tangle it up, you wont need to use this very often, but it should be a part of standard maintenance.

Synthetic Cleanser  –  This is rare for me, synthetic wigs are fairly inexpensive but some of them can be pricey (especially some of the really great drag ones like wigs and grace for example). After a few nights out, a good wash is due.

Wide tooth combs – Seriously, do not use normal combs and brushes on your wigs, these are a MUST have.

The styrofoam heads, I used to get them on Amazon but any craft store has them much cheaper, usually $1 or $2.

It’s also good to have a tripod (old photo one, I use a mic stand lol) to put the head on so you can comb out the wig properly. Alexa on YouTube really does a great job explaining.

good luck all!

I have five synthetic wigs that I bought on Amazon for very little money. Two of them are pure crap, and I haven’t worn them more than once or twice. Three of them are not terrible quality, but one of them is too light in color and lays too flat for my face. So, I generally only have two that I ever wear. Both are dark brown. One slightly below the shoulders and the other a bit longer. I think i look best in my longer dark brown wig. It’s the one I’m wearing in all of my recent photos. It’s a bit longer and has more curls and body to it, which is more like my natural hair was before I started losing it. I’ve been thinking about getting a human hair wig, but haven’t found a reasonably priced one that I like yet.

Anonymous

One of the very best buys around for a ‘real human hair’ (Brasilian Baby Hair), up to 24” …is to seek out a company named WIGNEE (on Amazon).  Each hair is hand tied, they are 140% (normally), yet I have ordered 180% plus a hair fall and got MORE than my $$ worth.  They are tied to typical wig cap, yet are airy enough to make you think it is all lace (my fave by far, but you’ll be shelling $$$ out like there’s no tomorrow for the quality you’d want).  Still, that’s not stopped me yet.  I’ve tried a zillion synthetics, nope!  They just won’t cut it, and even ONE night will ruin them.  (Or even with Pro-Sprays, Conditioners, etc NOTHING helps).  THEY LOOK COOL as long as you leave them in the netting!  🙂

Oh!  The Wignee’s start around $84 and up, and you’ll never be sorry.  NEVER!  You can always send it back for “retying” and spend minimal monies.  You can also send back and request 180% before it touches your head, and if so please consider a hair fall that will easily double as KILLER ‘pony’, yet not detract from the hair on the head one iota!  (The fall runs $44 and up).  You WILL want both a wig ‘band’ and wig ‘cap’ *unless you have a ‘chrome dome’ such as I once did.  It came back, but weird….

For wig care, you should need to wash it when the ‘cap’ becomes a bit loose.  MORE often if you use double-sided tape or spray on wig ‘sticker’.  It gets pretty nasty VERY fast with that stuff.  Wigs (like on Amazon), often have recommended “poos” & Conditioners, then after drying ‘treatment, leave-in moisturisers and ‘managers’ that prevent ‘neck tangles and fly-away hair.  ***I wash the human hair wig RIGHT ON MY HEAD because it IS HUMAN HAIR!  lol…..Rinse the heck out of it then carefully put it back on ‘her’ head for a drip dry, total combing out (use a WIG brush or you’ll lose hair like crazy)!  Brush it out bottom to top (always).  Treat before brushing to add some glide and shine to the hair again.

Lace wigs are worth their weight in gold.  I don’t care the $$$ diff.  I’d not wear a thing other than anymore.  (You can “part in the middle” and not appear to be wearing a wig, and it needs NOT to be ‘overlay’ parted.  The lace is SO small you cannot see it (and the hair is normal VERY thick).  Have fun!

If they want more than $2000 say no.  NOTHING is worth that amount as it can be had better and much cheaper…

Thanks for your advise. Really helpful. I still haven’t got round to buying my new wig yet so will look into Wignee wigs. I have tried the mid-range synthetic wigs previously and was far from impressed but wondered if it was just me.

Take care girl.

Anne-Marie

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Anne-Marie.

I’m on a budget, so human hair is too expensive. There is a market in Sydney with several stalls doing synthetic wigs for well under $100. That gives me the option to try before I buy.

I won’t get into the care of wigs thing. I treat mine terribly. But they look OK with a quick brush, and each one has given me plenty of good service (I have several).

Emily
      Lady

I have a variety of styles, colors, and materials. My favorite is 100% human hair, short, brown, bob style. Never tangles. Easy to maintain and style. I bought it on line (on sale too). I also have a 50/50 blend that is quite nice and easy to maintain. It’s a bit longer, so it does tangle a bit but can be easily brushed out. I feel it is worth the extra money to get at least one nice quality wig for those special occasions.

Anonymous

I’m only on my second wig. My first one was just past shoulder length with red tips which was great but I want to be able to pass and that one was just too bright for passing so got a new one which is brown like my proper hair. I haven’t been able to afford a human hair one yet but that is the aim, eventually.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?