- June 24, 2022 at 10:20 am #658285AnonymousInactiveTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
I have to admit my makeup skills aren’t all that great. I would love to get a makeover from someone who really has good makeup skills. How many of you ladies have had makeovers? If you got it from a gg, how did she treat you? Is it a shock for a cd to get a makeover from a gg? Maybe for Halloween I could get one.
- March 13, 2023 at 4:56 am #724650Chrissie SmithBaronessRegistered On: March 13, 2023Topics: 22Replies: 207Has thanked: 615 timesBeen thanked: 869 times
I haven’t dressed during 35+ years of marriage but in June I have the opportunity and have booked a 5 hour session with a professional makeover service here in the UK. Can’t tell you how excited I am, although I’ll be nervous and a bit embarrassed after all this time. I’ll let you all know how it goes, although I’m probably not ready to share pictures.
- March 13, 2023 at 8:36 am #724694J JLadyRegistered On: September 13, 2019Topics: 13Replies: 1110Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 4696 times
I did a make up and dressing session on a visit to London, and had a fabulous time, so enjoy yourself and takes lots of pictures, which, I hope you may some day share. No doubt we would all love to see them. One fro. my session is in my gallery. My advise besides don’t be nervous is to have a glass or two of wine before, or bet yet during you session. I don’t know where you are going, but Zoe at Ms Lola’s in London was great at what she does and helps you feel relaxed.
- March 2, 2023 at 3:39 am #721923NancyLadyRegistered On: May 3, 2020Topics: 28Replies: 415Has thanked: 1050 timesBeen thanked: 2016 times
I’ve never gotten one, mainly due to money. But, I’ve always wanted to. My makeup skills are not that great, and don’t seem to be improving. So, I think I need the assistance of a professional to take my femme side to the next level. Sounds like a good personal goal for this year! ;-)
- March 2, 2023 at 12:00 am #721912Joanne VLadyRegistered On: November 7, 2022Topics: 8Replies: 27Has thanked: 127 timesBeen thanked: 166 times
- March 1, 2023 at 9:02 am #721800Kim DahlenbergenLadyRegistered On: November 18, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 500Has thanked: 603 timesBeen thanked: 1979 times
I have had several. One with a part time drag performer proved to be a disaster IMHO… I ended up looking like a kabuki doll. The others, done by aestheticians, turned out really well. The best was a guided zoom make up session with a former colleague who was a theatre arts major in college. We had a blast and she taught me a routine I follow to this day.
- February 28, 2023 at 5:13 am #721533Sarah CarLadyRegistered On: February 25, 2023Topics: 4Replies: 64Has thanked: 99 timesBeen thanked: 271 times
Had my make up done by my wife , she likes to do it as she can try different styles and colour combinations , she talks me through what she is doing so that I van try and do the same when I do it .We are like sisters enjoying a bit of girly time .
- January 25, 2023 at 9:30 am #712150Deborah SullivanLadyRegistered On: February 27, 2020Topics: 3Replies: 1202Has thanked: 6027 timesBeen thanked: 5465 times
I have had many over the years and basically done by ggs. Nothing to be concerned or worried about since you will be treated like a queen. I have enjoyed it so much and used the services when going to a special event. I bring the outfit or dress I will be wearing and let them style accordingly your wig and let them choose the tones of foundations and blush and brows. You will learn a lot and feel so good about yourself
- January 25, 2023 at 9:03 am #712145Ellen CreedLadyRegistered On: October 3, 2021Topics: 0Replies: 3Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 13 times
I’ve had makeovers at Transformations by Rori in Chicago several times while attending events with Chicago Gender Society. Makeovers with Rori and Soto ( her son that unfortunately passed away a couple years ago). Rori is a cis woman and Soto was cd. Both did wonderful jobs. Also had makeovers with Scarlett at the Erie Gala. She is a cis woman and also did a wonderful job. No matter how hard I try I’ll never be able to look as good as when I have a makeover. Must also give credit to my wife who also has helped with my makeup
- January 24, 2023 at 5:19 pm #712020Barbara BeldenLadyRegistered On: August 30, 2022Topics: 2Replies: 3Has thanked: 4 timesBeen thanked: 58 times
If you’re anywhere near Toronto I highly recommend Jamie B at TGCDStyleToronto. She is highly talented and an excellent teacher who provides plenty of recommendations and then a set of detailed instructions for practicing on your own. She is also very personable and outgoing so it’s lovely to spend the afternoon with her. It’s well worth the trip to see her whether you’re nearby or not.
- January 24, 2023 at 5:25 pm #712022Janet JonesLadyRegistered On: December 9, 2017Topics: 1Replies: 5Has thanked: 7 timesBeen thanked: 47 times
I second this recommendation. I got a makeover from Jamie. She came to my hotel and did my makeup. The results were some of the best pictures of me
- This reply was modified 10 months ago by Janet Jones. Reason: Added link
- January 24, 2023 at 8:30 am #711891Jennifer LangDuchessRegistered On: December 23, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 20Has thanked: 6 timesBeen thanked: 93 times
Getting makeup lessons from a professional is one of the best investments you can make. I wish I had done it way earlier. I ended up spending much more trying to learn on my own and buying the wrong products over and over.
With a lesson, you learn the right colors to buy to match your skin and what works for your type of complexion. Also plan on a few follow ups to refine your skills.
I learned so much from Elizabeth Taylor here in the Washington, DC area. She helped with makeup, wig style and wardrobe. My first time in public was after one of her makeovers. I now feel way more confident going out because I feel I won’t stand out because my wig looks bad or my makeup is off.
And the best part is a chance to get your girl side pampered for a day!
- January 24, 2023 at 5:24 am #711849LadyRegistered On: December 9, 2017Topics: 1Replies: 5Has thanked: 7 timesBeen thanked: 47 times
I have had more than a dozen pro makeovers and photoshoots, at a variety of makeover places that specialize in makeovers for crossdressers. I used to travel for business and would always try to find a makeover place where I was visiting. Phoebe Cross in GA, Elizabeth Taylor in MD, TG Miss in Racine, WI, The Boudoir LA in West Hollywood, Jennifer Barge in Asheville, NC and many more. Sadly, all of the places that I just listed have closed, except Elizabeth Taylor, mostly because of Covid. Makeovers are a lot of fun and the difference pro makeup can make in your appearance can be spectacular. If you have a chance to get pro makeup done, do it (and take lots of pictures!).
We should maintain a list of T-friendly makeover places on here!
- This reply was modified 10 months ago by Janet Jones.
- January 24, 2023 at 4:21 pm #712003
- January 24, 2023 at 4:26 am #711839Lady BronssonLadyRegistered On: January 17, 2023Topics: 6Replies: 8Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 105 times
If you are looking for privacy, both visually and your ability to use your usual voice try kijiji for home based makeup artists. Their ads will show their work. Like any other artist they are proud of their portfolio and will enjoy a sincere compliment in your introduction. Don’t be shy about it. Most MUA’s have helped out men. They won’t be “on the clock” as much as in a salon. And they won’t be upselling like at MAC or Sephora. If they say no, women only…so what?
For santiary reasons:
Bring photos on your phone or from a magazine…whatever.
Bring your own liners, mascaras and lashes, lipsticks and glosses..
- January 17, 2023 at 2:15 pm #710163JulieLadyRegistered On: March 19, 2021Topics: 25Replies: 212Has thanked: 73 timesBeen thanked: 590 times
My sister in law gave me a makeover. 1 for Halloween and 1 for a dressing in a fancy dress like your going out. That was one was better. Since it was a regular makeover for me as a women Girlfriend. The other was for a cosplay sweetie.
- January 17, 2023 at 1:48 pm #710157Lady BronssonLadyRegistered On: January 17, 2023Topics: 6Replies: 8Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 105 times
The very best makeover I have ever had was at the MAC counter at Nordstom’s here in Ottawa. That’s the picture on my picrture on my profile. I had just had my blonde re done with a really great blowout and was dressed fairly femme. It was on a Monday night and there really weren’t many people about. All the same I made sure we used a station facing away from the general public. I asked a CSR who I thought had really lovely classic, classy makeup, and began with a huge compliment. At MAC you have to buy something, so I bought some expensive lashes and away we went. A full hour later there was my true femme self looking back at me and the world in the mirror.
- January 5, 2023 at 4:25 pm #707096StephLadyRegistered On: January 6, 2021Topics: 5Replies: 17Has thanked: 52 timesBeen thanked: 60 times
I have done several different types of makeovers, I progressed slightly each time.
First, I did one specializing in CD/trans that was run by a trans woman. She booked a hotel room and had everything ready for when you arrive. I liked that it was isolated to the room and I removed everything before leaving. She had the option of going out on the town with her, but I was too timid.
The next time, it was another trans woman specializing in CD/trans. This time, it was at a place she ran for CD/trans clientele. I did one in shop and hung out for about an hour in the lounge, then removed it all. However, I did a second one that I scheduled for the end of her day and she agreed to drive me back to my hotel. There was a side entry to the hotel right near the elevator, luckily didn’t see any other guests.
Next, I contacted a company that did travel makeovers. I contacted them and let them know I was male, and they were fine with that. They sent a gg to my room. I’ve used similar services like that a few times. Again, I liked the seclusion of my room.
I’ll give some slight backstory for the next one, even though this post is already too long. I regularly get pedicures with color, and I’ve done a few manicures with color too. The last time I got a mani/pedi, it was in the salon of the hotel I was staying at. I saw the makeup stations while I was there, and considered asking to add a makeover, but was too nervous. I went back to my room that night and was on their booking site and went ahead and did it! It was “lashes and liner” only, but it was something. I panicked and went in to cancel. It was within 24 hours and I couldn’t! I considered just paying for the appointment and canceling anyway. The next day…I just went for it. I took sunglasses and put them on right after leaving. I think she did way too much liner on the lower lid, so I looked ridiculous while walking through the salon in full male mode and paying, but no one said anything. I considered leaving the false lashes on that night, but had to remove the liner and they came off by accident. Oh well.
I have a full makeover planned for next time I’m there. Four, actually! Each day, I’m doing it. It’ll be a great vacation! I plan to do lashes, but the rest subtle, and I plan to spend a few hours on the town in it each time. We’ll see if I keep it on or not. Either way, I’ll be getting full makeovers in the middle of the salon. Fully male mode, except the sculpted nails I’ll be getting there too!
- This reply was modified 10 months ago by Steph.
- July 8, 2022 at 5:56 pm #661182Lara TuckerBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: September 29, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 1417Has thanked: 32548 timesBeen thanked: 5285 times
- July 8, 2022 at 2:04 pm #661129Terri JohnsonLadyRegistered On: April 28, 2018Topics: 4Replies: 47Has thanked: 464 timesBeen thanked: 330 times
I “highly” recommend it!!! I have quite a few, from gg’s, trans, and gay makeup artists and had no problems at all. I always make contact first and am very up front about my interests and situation. I have had a few people say no – usually for reasons that have nothing to do with any personal opposition (already booked, etc.), but I move on unless they “express” a desire for me to try again. I love it because they are professionals and have ideas, skills, and experience, I will never be able to match. Good luck in finding someone – hope you have a great time.
- July 8, 2022 at 7:18 am #661091Jenny JonesLadyRegistered On: November 5, 2019Topics: 2Replies: 255Has thanked: 153 timesBeen thanked: 1024 times
I’ve heard good things about Ulta and have been in there to get makeup often enough and have gotten help in having my shade picked out. But I also live close to Janet’s Closet so I will probably go there if I ever truly decide to bite the bullet on a professional makeover which I do wanna do.
- January 24, 2023 at 6:50 am #711867Susan TalbotLadyRegistered On: June 28, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 335Has thanked: 5732 timesBeen thanked: 1406 times
I have been to Janet’s for a makeover last fall when I was up there. It was great. There is ample parking and a side door for the entrance so you are not entering in from Fort St. It’s a good store. I also got a few things to bring home.
- January 23, 2023 at 7:22 pm #711788DeniseDuchessRegistered On: January 27, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 201Has thanked: 704 timesBeen thanked: 655 times
- July 8, 2022 at 4:31 pm #661163Lynda JonesBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: September 1, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 227Has thanked: 4015 timesBeen thanked: 796 times
- July 7, 2022 at 8:39 pm #661040Amy CatrelleLadyRegistered On: January 2, 2022Topics: 11Replies: 258Has thanked: 643 timesBeen thanked: 1169 times
I’m very much the timid closeted CD but I would love to pluck up the nerve to get a proper makeover. I remember thinking about it when I was 18 and living in North London! Why oh why didn’t I do it then…?
Amy Procrastinationismymiddlename Catrelle x
- July 7, 2022 at 6:01 am #660896
- July 2, 2022 at 11:53 pm #659977Caty RyanBaronessRegistered On: August 27, 2017Topics: 145Replies: 1434Has thanked: 12 timesBeen thanked: 6385 times
As one of the more ahem…(mature…) CDH members I can say that I have had many professional makeovers in cities as far apart as London and Manchester, Toronto, Perth Western Australia, Sydney and of course here in Melbourne, where I live.
My (long retired), job involved lots of travel so, early days were at dressing services in the UK and Sydney and the one in Toronto at Walk on the Wildside, where you have it all done in a barbers chair…. Very different…
The latter day events here at home have been via two or three professional make up artists, two of which I now regards as good friends with again one of those ladies “doing my hair”, (aka wash and set my wigs) ,on a regular basis. Latter days here in “OZ”,they usually take place either at the “MUA”S” home or at a rented self contained apartment chain
For me, there has been nothing quite like turning a grizzly old male into a very feminine looking woman, not to mention the fact that I find having my make up and hair done is one of the most relaxing things I have ever experienced….
Circa half of the photos in my CDH public profile would have been taken at a professional makeover. The ones that are not are easy to spot, cos its me that did the make up….
Feel free to browse
- January 24, 2023 at 4:17 am #711835Lady BronssonLadyRegistered On: January 17, 2023Topics: 6Replies: 8Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 105 times
Early on in my CD career I went through a huge hassle on one of my free days in TO allowed by my then spouse getting to Wildside. I found their shop cluttered and more geared towards “drag” than classy, classic looks. The famous barber chair makeover space was equally cluttered and looked unsanitary. So I balked and walked out to a TO parking ticket.
I do hope they have changed
1 user thanked author for this post.
- March 2, 2023 at 4:44 am #721930Carole CorbettDuchessRegistered On: September 5, 2016Topics: 10Replies: 230Has thanked: 396 timesBeen thanked: 1154 times
I think I had my first makeover at wild side a long long time ago and they were great. Time has taken its toll with them and agree that they are not as good as they used to be. There are so many limited people that do this that if there is no one to take over them they typically decline in quality or just close.
- July 1, 2022 at 9:00 pm #659785AnonymousTopics: 0Replies: 0Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 0 times
I’ve gotten a professional makeover. I had it done at a shop that does not exclusively serve CD and TG customers, but does caters to us. It was a wonderful experience. The cosmetologist treated me like any other lady and did a beautiful job. Before that makeover, my makeup palette was made up of dark colors (various shades of red lipstick, and blue and gray eyeshadow). The young lady asked if she could try lighter colors on me. I let her do what she thought was best. She used various shades of pink on my lips, eyes and cheeks. To say I was impressed is an understatement. I have since added lighter, brighter colors to my makeup palette.
- July 1, 2022 at 7:01 pm #659777LadyRegistered On: June 28, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 335Has thanked: 5732 timesBeen thanked: 1406 times
- July 3, 2022 at 4:34 am #660000
- June 25, 2022 at 4:20 am #658395Angela BoothBaronessRegistered On: August 1, 2020Topics: 12Replies: 1880Has thanked: 6388 timesBeen thanked: 8572 times
You do not need to look out for a makeup artist that deals with CD/TG. I believe that most artists whether small salon or big outlet has any issue working on CD/TG. Just look online ,contact the salon that you may feel comfortable to go to, explain your requirements and I am sure you will get the service you need.
- June 24, 2022 at 4:24 pm #658341Dianna RoseRegistered On: August 18, 2019Topics: 8Replies: 1099Has thanked: 1969 timesBeen thanked: 3922 times
I see you live in Illinois. Would be willing to take a short trip to Las Vegas?
A cis lady by the name of Amy Lamb owns Just You. She specializes in CD/TG makeovers.
I haven’t been(yet), but it looks terrific. Check out her website.
Good luck girl!
- July 3, 2022 at 4:53 am #660001
- June 24, 2022 at 4:09 pm #658339Barbie SatinRegistered On: May 15, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 191Has thanked: 443 timesBeen thanked: 736 times
I had dozens of them. Just call around to salons in any major city and ask if they have a makeup artist on staff who will work with CD’s. I was lucky enough to have the world’s greatest makeup artist as my best friend. Mr Greg Malone formerly of Baltimore.
- This reply was modified 1 year ago by Barbie Satin.
- June 24, 2022 at 12:55 pm #658310Katherine LeighLadyRegistered On: February 19, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 73Has thanked: 1843 timesBeen thanked: 430 times
I’ve had three full makeovers, all with Elizabeth Taylor, who is currently located in Tacoma Park, MD. Each time, the experience was sheer delight. Beth is very skilled and made me feel both attractive and feminine.
- July 3, 2022 at 4:55 am #660002DuchessRegistered On: September 5, 2016Topics: 10Replies: 230Has thanked: 396 timesBeen thanked: 1154 times
I concur with how good Elizabeth is…my favorite pictures are from her. Very skilled, wonderful person, huge friend of our community she’s wonderful. By the way just there and my wife and I got lessons !
- June 24, 2022 at 12:52 pm #658309Katherine LeighLadyRegistered On: February 19, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 73Has thanked: 1843 timesBeen thanked: 430 times
I’ve had three full makeovers, all with Beth Taylor, who is currently located in Tacoma Park, MD. Each time, the experience was delightful beyond words. Beth is an absolute magician and can make anyone look and feel truly feminine.
- June 24, 2022 at 10:28 am #658288Jenn CuriousLadyRegistered On: April 12, 2022Topics: 3Replies: 53Has thanked: 579 timesBeen thanked: 268 times
- June 25, 2022 at 4:36 am #658396Missy WellingtonLadyRegistered On: April 2, 2022Topics: 2Replies: 24Has thanked: 58 timesBeen thanked: 105 times
- January 24, 2023 at 7:35 pm #712042Lisa WallingLadyRegistered On: January 20, 2019Topics: 0Replies: 4Has thanked: 1 timeBeen thanked: 14 times
I’d love to help you with a makeover! I’m a gg with 40 years in the beauty business and my passion is helping others look and feel more beautiful! I live in Texas but I can work virtually as well. Hope you reach out. Hugs, Lisa
- The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.