Viewing 44 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

When I began crossdressing I used wigs. I loved the instant transformation of length, texture and color the world of wigs offered. I still love to visit certain wig stores in femme mode to explore the many possibilities. And of course there are certain colors these days simply impossible to wear in drab mode, copper red being my favorite.

Wigs have their drawbacks as well including the cost of really good ones.

Several years ago I started growing my hair long and at the same time began to highlight it with a vision to becoming the full blonde you see in my profile.

I have had it ironed limp and straight, curled loosely, in corkscrew ringlets, barrel curls, braided every which way and coaxed into delightful classic and some crazy updos!

Nothing makes me feel more femme than having my real hair done in an exclusively and undeniably feminine style.

I love having my hair fussed with and some stylists love working on long blonde hair,

So what do you sisters who have their own real locks do with them and how does it make you feel?

I keep my hair straight, natural colour (now mostly grey) about chin length. It’s a gender neutral style that could be either male or female.

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Harietta, I have a lovely auburn wig that I used to wear. But I don’t have to wear a wig any longer. I haven’t had a hair cut since I retired from work 3 years ago. So now my gray/auburn colored hair reaches past my bra strap in back and I love it. I am mistaken for female quite often much to my SO’s dismay (and I’m sure mostly due to the length and style of my natural hair). Actually feel quite lucky to be over 65 and still have a full head of hair. But I’m not getting rid of my wigs. Who knows how long my natural locks will last. Fingers crossed.
      Have a great weekend, All the Best,
      Hugs, Krista

I’ve finally have enough hair to style and go out. I recently colored my hair to its dark brown and had my stylist cut it in a more feminine look.

I’ve worn my hair long for at least half of my life.  It’s thick, straight and black with just a few grey hairs.  I obviously like wearing it long although I wear it 95% of the time up in a bun, en femme or en homme.  There are drawbacks, however.  For one thing it is difficult to style it myself.  If I do wear it down it is often in the way if I let it get too long.  All in all, though, I consider myself lucky.

Anonymous

No, at least not yet. But I decided to let it grow last month. and I will try to have it styled as soon as I have enough to work with.

Anonymous

Yes yes yes. Most certainly I love my hair. I dyed it red today and I love it.

Marianne
      Ambassador

I would love to grow my own hair out, even though it is getting rather thin up top of the head. Sadly my wife would never accept it, so l have to make do with wigs.

Hi Harietta,

I’ve had the opportunity to grow my hair long over the years.  It’ll get to just below my shoulders.  So I’ll wear it down.   Now in my 60’s it’s thinning on top.

Alice

Still working on my hair style. Going a bit thin up top though (groan). Like to have a femmy curly slightly bobbed look. trying folical repair spray, i don’t know if it will do any good though…nothing ventured etc.

Anonymous

Hello everyone, well I have never tried or even attempted to try a wig. I guess it’s because I have had long hsha since I can remember well up until 3 year’s ago. If I can remember correctly I think tye last haircut I had was in 2001so my hair was like really long I actually had to keep away from my butt when I say down 😂 if not idI sit on it! ! I really do miss it, itsi only about shoulder length now . OMG I MISS MY HAIR!! !! !!! !!!

I voted no as I wear hats about 98% of the time. My hat collection is approaching 20 and I may do some shopping today for another. For the rest I wear a wig. Hats are distinctive these days as there aren’t many people who wear them beyond sun hats. I’ve even been referred to as “The Hat Lady” on occasion!

Anonymous

when I was a teenager in the late 70s I had a long blond hair that’s what was the style mine was longer than most and I could use my mom’s curling iron I even use the rollers and I could make a very feathered woman hairstyle now at my age I don’t have hair like that anymore so I use a wig unfortunately but I used to love the sitter vanity and curl my hair and brush my long blond hair and apply my makeup with my legs crossed and anais silky dress high heels and my favorite suntan sheer energy pantyhose I miss them days girlfriends kiss kiss Jasmine 💋💋

In the end of 2018 I decided to let my hair grow freely. So far, I haven’t trimmed it yet, but, for the next year, I’ll trim it in a way it gets as girly as I can 🙂

xoxo

Amy Myers
      Baroness

Jazz, thanks for your thoughts. It very much reminds me of a customer I used to have when I worked retail in my student days.

He too, had shoulder length, {plus} beautiful blonde hair that was generally styled, and brushed. Nicer hair than most of the girls I knew! Also, he had a bit more shape to his bum than most guys, and wore tight jeans. With the hair and bum, from the back, he looked quite feminine. Never really knew him, and have since wondered where he ended up.

Not trying to hijack the thread here!

Amy

My hair is down midway to my bottom. We have a lot of fun fixing it in a different girly style each morning. I have a ton of ribbons, barrettes, clips, and sparkly pretties.

Caty Ryan
      Baroness

Hate to be the party pooper here, but my story is maybe “I would if I could”.

Over 70 and “bald as” and living near the airport means I have to be careful the aircraft dont try to land on my “runway”. (LOL)

Cant even wash and set my own wigs, have that done by the same lovely lady who does my makeovers.

Last but not least. Given with my beloved my whole Caty thing is “dont ask dont tell”, even if I did have long enough hair, I’d never get away with it being “femme”

Caty

Terri
      Duchess

I have been using my own hair for about 10 or 12 years. I have a great hairdresser who cuts my hair in a way that I can wear it in both genders. I have ever had a problem in a salon. I just walk in and tell them what I want done. The worst that could happen is they could say no.
      Terri

Hi Ladies, despite being in my 60’s, i have been blessed (with help from Biotin and Folic Acid) with my own long hair (4-5″ below my shoulders).  Although i don’t get to dress as Tracee very often, having long hair provides me with a feeling of femininity all the time.  I’m ‘all thumbs’ when it comes to styling it, but when i let it dry naturally, it comes out somewhat curly which i love.  I will also sometimes use a straightening iron to give it a smooth, feminine appearance.  On special occasions, i’m sometimes lucky enough to make an appointment at a salon to ‘femme it up’ with some curls.  Although i am verrrrry short, i am not petite, but with my long hair, i am regularly mistaken for a woman, even when not ‘dressed’ or wearing any makeup or jewelry.  I am a natural brunette, but over the years, i’ve gradually lightened it (doing my own hair coloring) to a strawberry blonde, then a full blonde, and recently back to a light reddish blonde.  I’ve also had foil highlights or low lights a few times.  If you happen to peek at my public photos, that’s my own hair in all of my pics, not a wig.  At this point, i don’t even own a wig.  Thanks to all for allowing me to be a part of this warm and enriching community.  Tracee

I would love to wear my hair natural when dressing, if only I could.   At 62 yo, I have the classic receding hairline at the temples and thinning at the top/back of my head.  Ugh!  I’m taking 1,000 mcg of biotin daily but if anyone has had success fighting this (or reversing this?), oh please, please, please share your solution with me.   Anyone having success with Rogaine?   I have not tried Rogaine yet.   Anyone done anything with those places that do the hair plugs?   Oh, how I would love to go natural and not have to use the wigs.

karley delaware
      Baroness - Annual

Hi………….I don’t have a big budget for clothes, not passable, no fashion sense, and am in the closet.  BUT, I can grow my hair out…………..with the blessings from SO.   To comply with work rules, my hair is clipped short on the sides and back over the collar.  I have a pony tail that reaches some 5 inches from the waist.   SO is a little jealous. I love the feel of it on my bare back and enjoy brushing it while dressed.   Having it and underdressing makes me feel like a girl in plain sight. My male/femme sides are more balanced and am a lot calmer.      Sometimes I’ll hide it in a tight bun, but love to let it out.  I wish I could go out in cute outfits be passable and have guys flirt with me, but am Thankful for what I have and can get away with 😉 ………………………….karley

DeLora
      Lady

I have had long hair since the age of about 16. I had wanted long hair since I was about 5.

Over a year ago, before I was out, even to myself, my wife started braiding my hair and I often wear it in a single french braid.

I have tried styling it when I get dressed up, but I need practice, or need to get it done at a salon! I’d love to be able to to it properly!

Ellie Hope
      Baroness

Oh sisters I so wish I could grow out my real hair and style it for Ellie time. But that’s not an option anyone would want to see, especially me!

Ellie

Although my hair continues to grow in the back and on the sides, my crown has thinned way to much. I use a wig when I dress en fem. The one wig I have, I’m wearing it in my profile photo.

I often wear my own hair, with a caveat.  My forehead is distinctly male, so I will wear clip-on bangs to cover the forehead.

My hair goes down to between my shoulder blades in the middle of my back.  One problem I have with my hair is that it is very fine.  So although quite long it is hard to style because there is very little body.  It is so thin that I often have to flat-iron it to keep the ends looking unruly.

A second problem is my getting grey.  It isn’t grey all over, but mostly in the front.  If I were to wear my hair parted to the side like guys usually do, the grey isn’t noticeable.  But if I wear it straight back, the grey in the front is very prominent, covering a few inches on the top of my head..  I try to get it colored every few months, but it has been about 7 months now since I last had it colored, so I have been wearing a wig to cover it up.  (I have a coloring scheduled for early January.)

I will also more likely to wear a wig if I am going out in my neighborhood just to help hide my identity.  But it’s always more comfortable going out in my own hair.

Jessica
      Lady

I don’t have enough of my real hair to dress with.

I am growing my hair out for over a year. Its down to my chin line, and should be at my shoulders in 5-6 months. My hair grows at about a cm per month.  I am lucky to have all of my hair, not receding, although my hairline/forehead is higher then I would like. I have started to style my hair to a center part which is more flattering. I used to have very long hair in my early 20s….but for some silly reason (which I regret) I cut it all off. It was a form of purging and it was for a girl…who wanted me with shorter hair…sigh.

I still dress with a wig, but also starting to dress with my own hair. I find having longer hair makes me incredibly happy, and its like I am dressing all of the time to some degree.

Anonymous

I have only gone out into public one time with a wig on. I’m bald and have gone into public in a dress a few times sporting a bald head and a goatee.

skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

For a long time I used wigs ( still have 200 or so in my closets) but started growing my hair out 2-3 years ago and its down to my bra strap now. Never colored it from the silver/gray/brunette blend it is
      naturally since my early 40s(almost 55 now). Any pics on my page or in chat from mid 2017 on are my own hair(including my profile and cover photo pics. I can do a good messy bun, high r medium ponytail, curl it (it’s naturally very straight) and braid it (working on perfecting french braid of my own hair- I can do other girls’ hair in em really well!) Working on updos too!
      Cyn

Stephanie Flowers
      Ambassador

Two years and still growing….

Back in my teens to which was the 70’s era long hair was the norm and enjoyed shoulder length hair. Simply styled and straight. Met my wife back then she liked me for it. 80’s unfortunately lost it due to work,  family and every day activities and over time those styles seemed to vanish. Two years ago and retirement setting in I was putting ideas in my head on maybe just letting it grow out a little more but still couldn’t as I didn’t know how it would turnout. “Could I grow it?, . Till then my cuts were well let’s say Military , short and very grayish. Signs of a distinguished,older guy. Not impressed to say the least. Finding my desires for dressing in time I got more involved and soon it became apparent a wig seamed destined. After purchasing my first wig it brought back so many memories of when my hair was there. I enjoyed this for my first year then I decided to try and see if I could grow it so then I started. My daughter’s to which I have 3 remember seeing pictures of me when I was young and thought it to be funny seeing good old dad growing out his hair and giggle. After a while you’ll cut it they said. I replied maybe not. So there ganged up and  Proposed a bet one year..  so I agreed but made sure big money’s was worth it. All three are doing well for themselves,  on their own and can afford to put out some serious coin. Well the year went by and ya!!!  I won and hey my hair grew and with color. Well this is good and decided to continue growing it. My girls in amazement couldn’t figure why I was letting it grow. Then is was well to my shoulder’s and comfortably past my ears. My wife knew as this was setting up for my dressing and certainly filled in to just that. Wife just tells everyone I’m going through a middle age crisis and feeling for his younger years. That was ok then but another year and my hair is coming along beautifully. It’s now close to 12 inches,  now touching my bra straps,  full body,  thick and my best feature. My wife,  her friends  even family are in amazement . Only if they knew. Still going and no thoughts yet of cutting it. Booking my first hair salon visit soon. That’s going to be venture to remember. Try a neutral cut to blend in for every occasion. I’m blessed to be able  to have hair and enjoy thoughts of what I can do new with it. Sorry for the long post but I do get excited about my hair.  And all the clip’s,  barrettes to which I wear and don’t worry about what people think. Learning to braid. 👧.

Stephaine 🌷

Keep being awesome!!

Anonymous

Stephanie,

After 60 years of flattop, “high and tight”, I decided around Thanksgiving to let my hair grow, to see whether I could get by without a wig. With a somewhat receding hairline, it’s hard to say; but I’m hopeful. And wondering just how much hair do I need before it is long enough for styling? Totally new experience for me, but interesting.

Bettylou

Diana Stockton
      Baroness

I have always used wigs.  My struggle has always to find the right one though.  A few years ago while on a business trip passing through Nashville TN I stopped at a wig store, (The wig shopped in Brentwood TN), and the very friendly associate worked with me to find that right one.  I have a fairly large tall head and it is difficult to make it look right.  We found it though and I wear it often.

Anonymous

This discussion seems to include an “all or nothing” attitude. By that I mean some sisters are happy with their natural hair while others with various levels of thinning or balding  have 100% wigged out. But there is a happy halfway. Many GG’s have thinning and actual balding problems. There are many clinics who offer things like hair inserts, extensions, partial hair pieces. I once used a wiglet that “integrated” my own hair. It had a wider net and I used a big crochet hook to pull my own hair through. It was beautiful and didn’t heat up like a regular wig.

Heh-heh! Is anyone ever going to correct the spelling on “reak hair experience” above? Not sure if the autocorrect should be for “freak hair” or “real hair.”

But seriously . . . I’ll go with the latter. Or the former. 60+ and early retired. Decided it was time to “let my freak flag fly.” It’s white, flowing and down past my shoulders now. May never go back. Twice already when out and about with my wife wearing men’s jeans and a men’s polo, I’ve had someone in a store aisle initially misidentify me from behind as a “lady.” Can’t say that has the sting anymore that it might once have. 😉 Still sport a gray much of the time––and it was kind of fun to turn around and see the surprise on their faces.

My hair is thinning with age, especially at the crown, Proscalpin – Generic Propecia (Finasteride) helps. Be informed of side-effects. I never use more than 1 mg every other day. Even that, not all the time. For some, the potential loss of sex drive and/or breast enlargement may not be an issue. I’ve also switched to a “purple” Paul Mitchell Platinum Blonde shampoo as most shampoos tend to yellow white hair over time.

Funny how I never care much about my looks as a male. It’s when I crossdress that I want to look my best for my age.

Maxine Doos
      Baroness

Ummm, what real hair?

The only real hair I have is on my…. everywhere except my head, and that gets removed regularly. 😉

Dawn Wyvern
      Managing Ambassador

I used wigs when I was in the armed forces as my regulation short back and sides was not in Vogue at the time – punk and new romantics had just hit the pop charts and big hair was in !

Since leaving the RAF I have grown my hair and have not used a wig for over 30 yrs ! I still have a couple of old ones for fancy dress parties but now spend time colouring and styling my hair as needed.

hugs

Dawn

Anonymous
      Lady

My answer is yes and no. I do both. It depends on my mood.

Hi again, thank you Britney for liking my post. I recently had a compliment on my longish hair, so this has given me a boost, to continue growing & see how it all goes… I’m a musician so it’s all normal if you know what I mean.

Emily x

Yes I do go out in my own hair a lot.  Now, it all depends on the time of year though.  In winter, my supervisor doesn’t push the haircut regs much and I can get my hair a bit longer than normal, and there are dozens of styles women wear with shorter hair.  The ladies at the salon where I get it taken care of know that I like to be able to switch back and forth with it at that time of year and will give me a good unisex trim to work with.

I do also own 4 wigs of different lengths and styles for when I don[t have a lot of time to mess with my hair before going out.  So, sometimes you will see me with a nice short doo, or the next time it will be a nice curly shoulder length.  The colors are all 4 different but still very close to my own (haven’t gone gray yet, and keeping my fingers crossed on that)

PaulaF

I own 12 wigs that I use for different looks but my own hair is shoulder length and colored strawberry blond as it once was when I was younger. I do enjoy hair extensions as well as I love long hair over 22″ in length. So I voted yes because I don’t always use wigs.

Kelly Lee
      Duchess - Annual

While I do have some wigs my wife didn’t like them and due to laziness I have let my hair grow a lot over the last year. On the sides it’s now about 15cm below my ear and I have no plans on haircut yet.
      When in drab mode I normally tie it up but as Kelly I let it all out and it feels so good.
      No bad comments anywhere, only something about having to get use to me having a pony tail all the time.
      My wife made a comment that she now notice lots of men with long hair so I’m far from alone.

Dear Anne,

Several things can help thinning hair and stop male pattern baldness. Like you I take high dose biotin, Finasteride (propecia) helps as well. It may be more drastic than your prepared to go, but HRT stops male pattern baldness and can restore it some.

Also get a scalp massager, and hair oil add a few drops of essential oils to it. With your hair dry apply the oil till your hair is lightly soaked, then massage your scalp at least 5 to 10 minutes a session, 3 to 5 times a week. The massaging stimulates blood flow and helps loosen up dead cells and product from your scalp. Over time the oils will help thicken your thinning or fine hair.

I know as i had baby fine hair most of my life. I am on HRT as well, take biotin every morning and night, and just had my endo add propecia (finasteride) to my hormone regimen of estridiol, spiroloctone (tgirl breath mints) lol, and progesterone

But the point is its helping my hair is much thicker and silkier.

I’ve had a number of wigs in the past and to be candid, we never really di get on well together lol. Then about 5 years ago I decided what the hell and began to let it grow and would regularly colour it (chestnut brown) and I loved it. I grew it to just below my shoulders, got myself a pair of straighteners and also a super slim curling wand and would play curling my hair, adding waves to it and the like. I really quite liked having long hair but eventually cut it all off and for 3 reasons. Firstly, people began to tease me about having long hair. On one occasion wholst geting a burger a small group of idiot builders decide to give me grief because of my long hair. It seems that the small minded factions of society presume that having long hair as a man means that one is gay – why???? Seems like a total misnomer to me. Also a female colleague decided it was fun to come behind me and give my hair a good pull which was quite annoying. I also began to loose some of my hair when I washed it which was quite a concern. The fjnal straw though was that my hair would get trapped under my head whilst I slept an this was uncomfortable and used to wake me during the night – nothing does that, I’m kinda addicted to a good nigts sleep lol.

I’m currently growing the hair again and am going to colour it. Just bought the gunk yesterday. I’m not going to let it grow long again though but will probably keep it short in femme terms – long enought to frame my face.

Take care girls.

Anne-Marie.

Anonymous

Yes i dont really like to wear wigs, I like my real hair. I will only wear a wig if I want to really try and conceal my identity for whatever reason.

[postquote quote=261446][/postquote]
      Isn’t it great to have your wife fix your hair? We braid each others often. I love it when she give me the single French Braid that starts at my temple, crosses over to hang at the opposite earlobe and hang down to fan over my breast. It makes me feel so girly! She often gives me girly styles even when she dresses me in male things, just to keep me in line…

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?