Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

In three days we will commemorate the 78th anniversary of D-Day, June 6,1944, the greatest amphibious assault ever attempted. While ALL military operations are dangerous and heroic, landings such as these are < to me, the most extreme example of placing one’s country ahead of one’s self. The soldiers that day came from all the Allied forces. The beaches were Gold, Juno, Sword, Utah, and (the bloodiest of all) Omaha. The Germans had fortified the entire French coast with their Atlantic Wall. Over 150,000 soldiers landed that day facing withering fire. Within five days, 326,000 Allied troops had landed.

The estimates for expected casualties were horrific. (Eisenhower had even penned a letter (thankfully never needed) which in the event the invasion failed said “Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air, and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone”).

The landings on Omaha beach were the worst, and were the basis for the early scenes in the film Saving
      Private Ryan. Back in 2017, I posted the below article telling the story of one company in the first boats in the first wave. As we remember the men and women who took part that day, let us thank those cut down in their youth that the rest of us in the free world could remain free.
      Cyn

Remembering Normandy
      June 6, 2017 at 12:53 pm #56745

It was 73 years ago today that hundreds of thousands of young men (boys really) climbed down
      the cargo nets into the landing craft and sallied forth to the beaches of Normandy to begin the
      liberation of Europe. Names previous unknown-Utah, Gold, Juno, Sword, bloody Omaha,
      Pointe-du-Hoc, St Lo – became bloody battlefields and later shrines to the memory of those who
      made the ultimate a sacrifice at the prime of their lives that others might be free. I feel a lump in
      my throats and the burning of tears as I contemplate what those young men might have
      accomplished in life had they not been cut short that day. And the heart wrenching pain of the
      families back home as they were notified that their sons, husbands, and fathers would not be
      coming home (and also the wives and daughters as there were nurses that perished as well).
      One of the hardest hit communities was here in Virginia. “The Boys of Bedford” Companh A of
      the 116th Regiment of the 29th Onfantry were on some of the first boats on the first wave to hit
      Omaha Beach that windswept gray Morning. 35 young men from a town of 3000 people began
      their war that day-19 died in the first five minutes! And 3 more during the battling through the
      bocage hedgerows of Normandy. 22 men from one small town made the ultimate sacrifice ( and
      overall of the 230 men in the company, only 18 men were unhurt by the end of the day.
      22 deaths from one small town of 3000-about one of every 135 people. That would be
      comparable to my local county of 300,000 people losing over 2200! Bedford is now the home of
      the National D-Day museum and well worth a visit if you get a chance.

You can read more about the Boys of Bedford by googling that name. I’ll finish this post with
      two things. The first is a quote from the movie “the Bridges of Toko-aria” that paraphrased the
      thoughts of myself and many others- “Where so we get such men?•. The other will follow my
      sign off below-a poem written by the surviving twin brother of one of the 22 men who died in
      Normandy.

In loving memory of those we lost then and in all the wars,
      Cyn

Twin brother farewell
      I’ll never forget that morning
      It was the sixth of June
      I said farewell to brother
      Didn’t think it would be so soon

I had prayed for our future
      That wonderful place called home
      But a sinners prayer wasn’t answered
      Now I’ll have to go home alone

Oh brother I think of you
      All through the sleepless night
      Dear Lord, he took you from me
      And I can’t believe it was right

This world is so unfriendly
      To kill now is a sin
      To walk that long narrow road
      It can’t be done without him

Dear Mother, I know your worries
      This is an awful fight
      To lose my only twin brother
      And suffer the rest of my life

Now fellows take my warning
      Believe it from start to end
      If you ever have a twin brother
      Don’t go to the battle with him

(This poem now rests on the walls of Roy Stevens’ Bedford home)

Cynthia –

Thank you for posting this, it is a good reminder of the sacrifices that were made that day and the impact it had on many live’s.  I hope that the sacrifices made by our young men and women throughout the years are not forgotten and itis realized that we have what we do today because of their sacrifice.

XOXO
      Suzanne

Anonymous

Wonderful post, Cynthia! Indeed, where do we get such men? Lamenting the loss of life cut short, but if not for that successful invasion, what would the world be like today?

Sacrifice for the greater good is a concept lost on most of today’s generation. The average age of those men was 18-24. I’m in awe of their bravery that day and every other battle of war or conflict that has kept this Country safe.

Eileen

Anonymous
        Lady

Wars are fought by young men started by old men… sigh.

Thank you so much Cyn for posting this remembrance.  My dad went in on Omaha and continued at the front lines with Patton until the end of the war.  Then he would never talk about it until near death when I promised that I would return for him and visit the cemetery to pay respects to his friends.  My wife and I were able to do that just before Covid hit.   It was important to make things right for him.   Marg

skippy1965 Cynthia
        Ambassador

Marg, what an incredible honor and
        privilege to do that for your dad andhis comrades. I would love to be able to visit there one day. Meanwhile I can go to the WW2 monument in DC and the hallowed grounds of Arlington National Cemetery to honor those in the Greatest Generation who gave their all for the rest of us.
        Cyn

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?