- December 1, 2022 at 9:54 am #698226MonaParticipantRegistered On: December 18, 2018Topics: 11Replies: 153Has thanked: 778 timesBeen thanked: 960 times
So sad to hear about the passing of Christine McVie yesterday. By all accounts, she was a wonderful person, a strong woman and an extremely talented musician. She wrote almost half of FM’s mega hit songs and helped keep them going during the early years, before they achieved super stardom with the addition of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. I have loved this band all the way back to their founding as a blues band in late 60s England. This woman wrote the most beautiful, romantic love songs that she sang with her distinctive honey voice. A woman who was widely admired and will be greatly missed.
Total of 25 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- December 2, 2022 at 5:14 pm #698522Marg ProdueLadyRegistered On: March 16, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 348Has thanked: 1531 timesBeen thanked: 1346 times
Mona, you really got it right. Thanks for expressing this so well. I felt so sad too when I heard that she had passed. I knew that she was a real driving force behind FM yet most people didn’t know much about her. I was glad to have been around to enjoy it all when it was happening. Marg
- December 2, 2022 at 12:49 pm #698479Sarah CeriseLadyRegistered On: September 25, 2022Topics: 5Replies: 162Has thanked: 440 timesBeen thanked: 617 times
It was very sad to hear the passing of the wonderful Christine McVie, such a very talented Woman
and lovely person. Rest in peace Christine.
- December 1, 2022 at 5:56 pm #698322Stephanie BassHostessRegistered On: November 30, 2019Topics: 27Replies: 4415Has thanked: 63603 timesBeen thanked: 15824 times
Again Mona thank you for the tribute to a wonderful vocalists and just a beautiful woman all around The group of Fleetwood Mac was a wonderful sound growing up i wore out the cassette with TUSK on it just crank up the volume driving thru traffic and see who remembered it by the head movements thanks again Mona..
- December 1, 2022 at 5:37 pm #698320Stevie SteinerManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: June 11, 2020Topics: 89Replies: 2010Has thanked: 8916 timesBeen thanked: 10426 times
- December 1, 2022 at 5:20 pm #698317
- December 1, 2022 at 3:03 pm #698296Erika HendersonDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: November 26, 2022Topics: 5Replies: 204Has thanked: 1224 timesBeen thanked: 785 times
- December 1, 2022 at 3:00 pm #698295Kris BurtonLadyRegistered On: August 6, 2022Topics: 1Replies: 120Has thanked: 524 timesBeen thanked: 734 times
I have enjoyed Fleetwood Mac in all of their incarnations, but feel they hit stride when she joined in ’71. I saw them live at Madison Square Garden in NYC in ’78 at the top of their notoriety – wonderful show, and altho Lindsey and Stevie were kind of the focal point at that time she nonetheless impressed me greatly with her solid musicianship, and an understated stage presence all her own. When my wife told me yesterday that she had passed, my initial reaction was “Wow – she wrote and sang so many of their songs” – she didn’t realize that it was her. That’s what I mean – she was all about the ensemble, and what an ensemble. She will be missed – and remembered!
- December 1, 2022 at 3:19 pm #698297MonaDuchessRegistered On: December 18, 2018Topics: 11Replies: 153Has thanked: 778 timesBeen thanked: 960 times
Thanks for the comment, Kris. Yes, she really did have a very understated stage presence – clearly preferred to stay at her piano, workmanlike, steady, flawless playing and singing. In I read somewhere that she had natural perfect pitch. I don’t think she ever really got full recognition for her contributions to the band, helping to keep FM going through their middle years with minor hits on albums like Penguin, Heroes are hard to find, and Bare Trees. Amazing talent.
- December 1, 2022 at 2:29 pm #698280Jess SecretLadyRegistered On: February 18, 2021Topics: 15Replies: 605Has thanked: 1477 timesBeen thanked: 2631 times
- December 1, 2022 at 2:29 pm #698279CelesteCDLadyRegistered On: April 21, 2021Topics: 3Replies: 129Has thanked: 425 timesBeen thanked: 566 times
Mona thank you for posting this. Growing up I heard Fleetwood Mac all the time on the radio to the point of over saturation and changing the station whenever. They would come on. Then I was at a friends party several years later where their reunion concert film The Dance was playing in the background. Maybe it was because I was just more appreciative of artistic talent over the years but the portion I saw really stuckwith me. Fast forward a few years and The Mac heads back in tour with Christina McVie playing in the band for the first time in years. As with many older bands and musicians I have taken the mindset of better see them when you can because you never know. So I paid too much for tickets but to see/hear the classic 5 of that band was one of the best concerts I have ever experienced. I found myself reliving moments of my life that their songs mapped back to. I had forgotten just how many great songs they had. Christine McVie looked great. Sounded even better. She just had an aura about her that exuded confidence. While Stevie and Lindsey get many of the headlines and are talented in their own right, Christine McVie was no 3rd fiddle. She was awesome Sad to hear of her passing but grateful for what she created and shared with us. What a bummer.
- This reply was modified 2 months ago by CelesteCD.
- December 1, 2022 at 3:25 pm #698300DuchessRegistered On: December 18, 2018Topics: 11Replies: 153Has thanked: 778 timesBeen thanked: 960 times
Hi Celeste – I too saw them in concert during their “On with the Show” tour, after she rejoined the band. The collective joy of the audience to see her back on stage was palpable. She provided the finale to those shows with one of her signature songs, Songbird. She wrote such romantic songs but sadly her real-life relationships were wanting. You can’t everything, I gues.
- December 1, 2022 at 1:04 pm #698262Lauren MugnaiaDuchessRegistered On: November 1, 2021Topics: 24Replies: 644Has thanked: 10723 timesBeen thanked: 3652 times
- December 1, 2022 at 12:38 pm #698258J JLadyRegistered On: September 13, 2019Topics: 5Replies: 513Has thanked: 0 timesBeen thanked: 1982 times
- December 1, 2022 at 11:08 am #698244Kerri SmithLadyRegistered On: November 21, 2022Topics: 8Replies: 40Has thanked: 27 timesBeen thanked: 301 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.