Viewing 15 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I watched an episode of Ru Paul’s Drag Race last night.  All the queens wear outfits that are outrageous and over the top, and they act that way too.  They really can make themselves look extremely feminine, and walk and dance that way too.  It is definitely adult entertainment.  Homophobes would be offended but we CDs can appreciate the fact that they work so hard to make a living doing drag.  Do you like this show?

I watched for a little while, but I was really interested in watching how anyone, and I mean anyone can walk in heels that high.  My limit is 4”.  I bought some 5”, and the stretch in my Achilles was so much that I thought it might snap, but the more I kept at it, the more stretch I got.  But I still can’t figure how they can walk in at least 6” heels.  That has to hurt a lot.

But to answer the question, I can only watch it for a little while, then it loses my interest.

Have to say that I’m not really a fan of over the top mimics prancing around with their falsetto voices. They’re not crossdressers or trans women – maybe a few are – but drag queens are just entertainers putting on a show. Dressed like they do on the show, walking down a street, they certainly wouldn’t blend in dressed like that. I truly don’t find them to be remotely attractive, I have ample opportunity to go to drag shows right here in my city, haven’t yet and don’t see that changing.
      I now live and pass as a woman, and when somebody tells me I look great, that is how I think we should strive to appear, as great looking women, not over the top clowns.
      Just my point of view, as they say, your mileage may vary. LOL

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

I have watched a few times.  And I’ve been to several drag shows.  It’s clearly risqué entertainment.  Adult fantasy.  Certainly not for young kids.  Older teens maybe.  I would not consider it smut.  Frankly, I’m surprised someone here would think that.

/EA

Trish White
      Baroness

Hi Kerri, I picked take it or leave it. I also agree it’s not smut. Most of the drag shows are of an adult nature and people who are interested go just because the Queens are outrageous and that is what they’re selling. Off the stage there are a lot of them that are CD’s and very attractive ones, look up Blair St. Claire to see what I mean. At the end of the day though, I lose interest fairly quickly when I tried to watch Ru Paul.

Trish

Hi Kerri I voted YES. I agree while often corny, I would not class it smut.

Following on the commentary above and not in any way wishing to be provocative, here are my thoughts and observations, they are not in any particular order:

• I have followed drag on and off for 40+yrs. In that time I have seen it grow into a huge show business. As with any entertainment sector, drag has evolved/ been choreographed to suit pocket, occasion, demographic and economic drivers.
      • Its intentionally over the top, and is self critical (often publicly) when performers don’t tow this OTT line. Accordingly, the challenge to push the boundaries, drives the creative edge. By way of example, the Dragvault on Instagram is dedicated to the high end for those who enjoy its art form.
      • We crossdressers are often viewed by society as wannabes and unsophisticated amateurs, choosing the parts of femininity we want and ignoring the rest. A charge not always without merit, but not applicable across the board. In everything I have read over the years, Drag is certainly not vulnerable to this view.
      • Similarly, censure (self or otherwise) laid on our community keeps a sizable section in the closet where we are unable to actively add our weight to support the LGBTQIA+ movement. Again I’m not aware of this criticism being laid on the Drag community.
      • With regards the psychological effects/influences of drag on younger audiences, I couldn’t find any scientifically reported evidence or studies to indicate detrimental effects to their development. I did find this comment in Psychology Today, Drag Queen Storytime for Children: “As a long time sex and gender therapist, I know there is no substance to the argument that exposing anyone, including children, to the reality of people with a different sexual orientation or gender influences the children’s innate sexual orientation or gender identity. Ironically, when people think about children, rarely is their focus on how homophobic, biphobia and transphobia can hurt them, and yet exposure to these institutional harms are far worse than anything a child might be exposed to in a LGBT Pride Parade, observing gay or lesbian relationships or being read a story by a drag queen.”
      • Lastly, as the parent to four children now all adults, it’s given shows with sexualised content are responsibly censured/ monitored by parenting/society standards for the welfare of young audiences.

ChloeC
      Duchess

Hi Kerri, I watched it starting around season 2 or 3, but lately I do but only rarely tune in to see what’s happening.  Something I’ve sort of wondered about is that it seems to keep the interest up, each set of new contestants sort of have to dress beyond those of the previous seasons, be even more, oh, let’s say outrageous in their presentations. And the judges (or writers) have to keep coming up with newer and better quips concerning how the contestants dress and present themselves. I suspect it’s probably overly scripted trying to make it look spontaneous. I remember probably around season 3 or 4, when RuPaul had them all together on the set sort of talking about their experiences when one contestant stated they were going to start transitioning shortly, and for whatever reason, there was a slight odd silence which just seemed a little strange to me.

Hugs ChloëC

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by ChloeC.

I voted no, but a better answer would be I’ve never seen it, and I’m not particularly interested in seeing it.

Lola Caprice
      Baroness

100% Yes!  My SO and I love it. We also enjoy local live drag shows and the national touring shows when they come to our area.  But if someone is looking for performers who are trying to be feminine and proper they will be disappointed. Drag shows are about being campy, over-the-top, and a little (or sometimes a lot) risqué.   I find it very entertaining…others may not.  I don’t go out as Lola but it is a bucket list item for me to go to a drag show in drag!
      ❤️Lola

Dawn Judson
        Ambassador

The only two drag shows, I’ve ever attended, I was dressed as myself (Dawn). I’m really not into drag, but can appreciate the job these performers do.

Anonymous

I picked no, because to me, while I know and understand that being a drag queen is all about being over the top, being campy, being outrageous, being a parody of women, I don’t know that the rest of the world understands that. To them, that is the public view of crossdressing most people see, and that can often be scary, especially if you’re a “real man” (quotes intended) who would never be caught dead doing something like that or looking like that.

I also think that public drag queens like that are one of the main reason that the world, and especially homophobes, are anti-trans. I don’t think they’re a good reflection of who those of us in our community really are, as drag queens only make up a small percentage. And while I appreciate the work those ladies do to look like that, I’d be more interested in a show that lets us see how they get ready to go out in public when they’re not competing, or on a date, or to the movies or shopping. Do they dress like that always, or is it just for competition? Show us the real girls behind the drag queens. Now that would be a show I’d watch!

Hugs,

Holly

Lola Caprice
        Baroness

There was a brief spinoff of RuPaul’s Drag Race that followed the day to day lives of the performers in the RuPaul Vegas show.  Unfortunately It didn’t do very well.  I don’t think there will be a season 2.  I’m not sure it even lasted a full season.

Holly, Very well stated girlfriend!
        Genivieve

Yes it is adult entertainment and nothing more. It has nothing to do with the trans community and most ppl know that. I do find it is a comfortable show for those of us that attend en femme. Drag is comedy and some girls are really funny but realize it isnt for everyone

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

I’ve never had the urge to watch it. While I wouldn’t mind going to see a genuinely good funny drag show, I’m not really interested in drag, just crossdressers.

I love it, fun and entertaining, the thing i take away is that it gives me confidence to want to step out more and more. I am not quite there yet but i am working on it. Love to you all my sisters.

I’m a big fan of RuPaul. I actually liked his podcast better than Drag Race. Unfortunately, he  stopped doing them at the onset of the pandemic and has never returned.

I have a fondness for Drag Queens, but the catty/drama of reality tv, all reality tv, really doesn’t do much for me. I watched the first few seasons, but eventually lost interest in the show.

That said, the queens are truly amazing artists and I’m glad the show is a worldwide hit.

Just remember 99% of most reality shows are scripted. They aren’t real.

Dayna
      Lady

I won’t waste my time watching this on t.v. or ever !

These drag queens are so outrageous and over the top, I am a crossdresser and dress appropriately when doing so this show gives us CD girls a bad look and macho homophobic people look down at us and we are instantly classified in terrible ways if you were dressed and two testosterone charged men were to make you well it could get ugly fast simply because they may have caught a glimpse of RuPaul thinking the worst case ,

I can here some drunken testosterone charged men who blurt out ( Ya know that flaming Faggot needs his ass beat) to much hate it’s concerning for me

As the world turns these are the days of our lives !

Be safe, Love, be true to yourself … Life is good enjoy it… Dayna

Amy Oxley
      Lady

It’s not for me. However my wife loves it.

Jennifer,

I agree that Drag Race is an adult only show and kids under 18 should not be watching it.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?