Viewing 6 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Does anyone know of any tailors/seamstresses in the New England area who cater to the CD community? I have some items that need to be altered, but I’m too afraid to go to a regular tailor.

Thank you!

Gaje

Hi Gaje,  I’m a women’s costumer and am Midwest located but don’t know anyone in your area.  I do know that most dry cleaners will offer the service that your are looking for.  Otherwise do a search for LGBTIQ friendly clothing and alterations.  Perhaps that will help you.  Best wishes,  Marg

Peggy Sue Williams
      Duchess - Annual

Gaje,

I see from your profile that you are located in Boston, a large northeastern city.  This should make your seamstress search somewhat easier.  I am located in Atlanta, another large city with no shortage of seamstresses.

Money is money and business is business, so I don’t think you are going to run into anyone who is going to turn your business away.  In my area, strip mall dry cleaning shops often offer shoe repair, as well as alterations.  Trouble is they send out their alterations work, after they do the marking and pinning up.  I prefer a place that has a seamstress on the premises.  Thus, search for a place that has an on site seamstress.  Make phone calls.  Somebody once told me there are seamstresses that operate out of private homes, but I am not sure about that.

What I did was locate a few places that had on site seamstresses, then I visited them in person while cross dressed and told them I had dresses and skirts I wanted to bring in and get altered and could they do the work for me?  I wanted to see their reaction.

Keep in mind, seamstress work is not cheap.  I just had a long dress shortened.  It cost $25, and I am a long time regular customer of this particular lady.  The dress was of light material.

BTW, I often bring in a dress when I am in male clothing.  Then try it on in the shop and step out of the dressing room so the seamstress can fit it for me.  It is so much fun watching the reaction of dry cleaning customers as they come in and see this guy in a beautiful dress with a seamstress doing a fitting.

Hugs…Peggy Sue

Big thanks to Peggy Sue and Marg, and spasibo bolshoyo to Samanta for your replies and suggestions.  Of course there are many tailors and seamstresses in my area.  The problem isn’t finding one.  My problem is not having the guts to take my femme items there to be altered.  I’m too chicken.  I’ve never been out in public en femme.  One of the biggest reasons is my height… 6’ 4”  Now, if there was a tailor who advertised or catered to the CD community, that would be different.

Anonymous

Those that do alterations are not going to specify to CD customers. Come one, come all. A buck is a buck, unless it’s a doe, which is still dough as in income.

Anonymous

Eileen

Love  it, very witty lol

Hugs Ginger

Hi Gaje nice to meet you and wish we were closer as wife does a lot of mine with my help but alas we live in NE Montana atleast a few miles away good luck just keep looking around like facebook and other social media might find something there..

Stephanie  Bass

Thank you, Stephanie.  I appreciate your reply.  Yes, I wish we were closer, as well.  I’m so jealous that you have an understanding wife!  Gaje

Anonymous

You could buy a simple machine and learn how to sew. My sweetie attended a beginner class at a fabric and crafts store, enfemme. Had a great time!

There lots of people who do alterations at home, their costs are less without having the shop overhead.

Thank you, Eileen. Yes, I’ve thought about that. My wife even has 2 sewing machines.  But, learning to sew, and alter clothes, isn’t something that really interests me.  That plus borrowing her sewing machine could be dangerous if I’m ever caught. 🙂

Anonymous

That’s right, you’re still a secret. Make your wife a skirt or something, LOL! Maybe a community to your e-mail? You don’t need a seamstress, just alterations. Who knows, some gal with talent might love to dress you up!

Hi Eileen…. I just read your bio. Your husband is a cross dresser, correct?  I applaud, and thank, you for being an accepting and understanding wife.  I can only dream about a situation like that.  Can I ask you what you felt inside when you learned about your husband’s dressing?  Did he disclose this to you, or did you stumble upon it by accident?

I would suggest find some who work from their home instead of a business location. You’re more likely to have the privacy (others not coming in) while getting pinned.

Call and ask if they would fit a crossdresser. My guess is most will. They don’t really care, they’re just altering clothes. Also ask when they’re less busy with customers and that you’d like some privacy when getting fitted.

Being scared, I’m guessing you haven’t been out before. So I would suggest wearing as much as you can (any padding, shape wear, a bra under your male shirt) so you only have to put the breast forms in instead of having to do a full transformation. If it makes you comfortable, put on some makeup to act as a beard cover and bring a wig too. This makes for an easier time in and out, not having to do a full transformation when you get there, and less likely to be seen by others.

Thank you for your excellent suggestions, Alison!  Someone who works from their home would definitely be more comforting.  It would be great if you could schedule an appointment, so that you’re the only one there.  And you’re right… I’ve never been out en femme.  I’ve been fully dressed, but only in the confines of my home.  Hopefully, that will change someday soon.

Again, thanks so much!!

Gaje

Hi Sam yes i have heard some of the seamstress in your area are supposed to be wonderful in MARCO styles he he he Hugs girlfriend..

Stephanie

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?