Viewing 9 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      DeLora
      Lady

After struggling with my gender identity for a number of years I have found that crossdressing really helps with my overall mental health. However I think the time has come to seek some help from a professional. Trouble is I don’t really know what I am looking for, what the correct terminology is…
      Therapist, Psychotherapist, Psychologist, Counselor  Or what… Do I have to see my doctor and get a referral… How does it work?

Any pointers much appreciated,

D.

Hi DeLora,

My off the cuff response is to get a referral from your doctor. That is a place to start.

Good luck DeLora. My prayers are with you.

Diane

Hi DeLora,

Good luck with your quest. I think that someone from Canada would be best to answer your technical questions because laws and licensing requirements for psychologists/counselors/etc vary by country, state, province. Also, payment requirements will be different from my experience in the U.S. I would shop for a therapist like you would for a car. Do some research, talk to people you trust, maybe test drive a couple different options, and if for any reason the therapist doesnt feel right go to someone else.

– Robyn

There are a number of girls here who live in Canada who will be well qualified to answer such weddings as about referrals, which speaks more to insurance than anything else, but as to whom do you speak, i should think that would be up to you. Do some research on who is available in your area with experience in gender paired issues. You don’t want to talk to anyone still living in the Neolithic Age and thinks this is something Subject to a cure. You want to talk to someone with exhorting who can help you identify your real desires, and help you craft a path forward that suits you. Just try to start with that. Do you know what it is you really want? If not, you need to try to identify that first. If you do, then you’ll want to find the best path to that destination.

Crap… there’s going to be people on here with FAR more experience than me. I should clear out and cede the floor to them.

Best wishes,

Bridgette

Anonymous

Best thing to do is setup appointment with your Dr then depending on laws and such He or she will refer you to someone else if he or she can’t help. First step Primary Dr.  Wishing you the best of luck.

Hugs
      Donna

Hi Delora,

I have used betterhelp in the past and it did help. It fit with my time better.  I would rather see someone in person. Betterhelp set me up with licensed counselor who specializes in the things that I needed.  I would recommend them. I hope that this helps.
      ❤️
      Octavia

I saw a registered sex therapist. They were not covered by insurance. I found he had the most specialized knowledge in the area of crossdressing for both myself and my wife. It’s not necessarily a common topic most therapists come across. My wife who is reluctantly supportive discovered that out. Most didn’t really know what to offer her or myself.

Please PM me if you need more details

Best of luck,

Sivvi

This may be a good place to look for more regional support. I’m sure they could better direct you as well. https://www.gov.nl.ca/education/files/k12_safeandcaring_gsa_09gsa_lgbtqresources_nl.pdf

Unless you are a Leafs fan… then get an appointment with your GP first and get a referral from them!

Hugs Polly (unless you are a Leafs fan)

One word of caution and this may not matter in Canada, but the moment you use insurance with any type of mental health professional it becomes a part of your medical file forever and ever. Some may not want that to be on their record. My SO had post partum depression after our youngest child and required some help. A few years later when obtaining a life insurance policy there was a lot mentioned about her depression. Had we paid out of pocket and not involved insurance it would never have come up. At any rate something to consider.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?