Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Samantha R
      Duchess

I have been looking on line about purchasing a wig. Nothing fancy, short to match the color of my natural hair, which is gray.
      My Natural hair is absent on top and short on the sides.
      What is the most comfortable wig that you have found?
      How do you store it? (I won’t be wearing it daily)
      Do you ever travel with it?
      If so, how do you pack it?

Thanks so much-
      xoxo

I can only comment on the selection part.  I was initially thinking that I wanted a wig that was long, because, what could be more fun than a long wig?  But once I got it, I didn’t like it.  So, I had taken some pictures with a shorter lighter wig and really didn’t like the look.  I decided to see what Faceapp would decide what looked good with their photo manipulation, and I loved the way it looked.  I would never have picked that for myself.  I found a wig at Paula Young that looked very similar to the one from the manipulated photo, so I ordered it.  Initially, I tried it on in male mode, and didn’t like it at all, but once I put the look together with female clothes and makeup, I loved it.

Some wig sites have virtual try ons, as I recall , but I’m not sure they help much.  The cheapest way to figure out what is best for you in my opinion is through photo manipulation.  That way, you won’t go broke buying a bunch of wigs that you won’t like.  I hope I’ve helped some, and you get some more good advice on this.

But I do recommend Paula Young, their prices are very reasonable.

Samantha R
        Duchess

Jennifer
        The FaceApp is a great idea and I’m going to try it. And I have not checked out Paula Young yet, though it keeps coming up as a go to site for many of us here.
        Thanks again

Seriously check out the Amazon ones as well. Big Bang for the buck.

Samantha R
            Duchess

Jill
            If I can figure out the private account that I seem to have the ability to create I will. Right now, my whole family uses that account (including my Mother in Law) and I am not out yet.

Samantha R
        Duchess

Jennifer-
        OMG! just playing with the free side of Face App has opened my eyes.
        If I can come close to the look I created I might cry.
        (Then my mascara would run)
        I know what I’m doing today, starting with a better selfie!
        Thank you
        xoxo

You can use the paid part for free on a trial, but make sure you cancel it or you’ll end up paying every month.  There are more options there.

Hi Samantha, checking your profile I see you only dress in private, so spending hundreds on a wig is senseless initially. I use Amazon for wigs I will just wear at home doing gardening, repair chores, etc. they actually look good for the price. Comfortable? Itchy might describe any wig better especially in the heat after long periods of wearing it. I do not use wig caps as my own hair is short. If you can, get one with the adjustable clips verses the Velcro adjusters which wear out quicker. You may also get headaches from wearing a wig all day after all, it squeezes on your head all day. I usually wear the cheaper wig when in the pool too so the chlorine doesn’t wreck my good ones. Surprisingly, you will learn which style  suits you best, long, short, straight, curly, by trying different styles and Color’s. With Amazon, you can return anything you don’t like. Just be sure to carefully unwrap it so you can rewrap if necessary. They come with washing instructions. If I pack wigs for travel, I roll them up. Best to order two or three and return the least likeable or keep them all!  Lol

Samantha R
        Duchess

Jill
        When you roll them do you put them in a container of some type?
        Thanks

No, just the netting they come in from the supplier.

Omg, it’s been so long now since I used a photo app to try on wigs.  Great post Jennifer. I’m betting those programs are way better than they were 30 years ago. I used them for eye glasses also; zenni optical. I have several Paula Young wigs, love them. When out in public I usually grab a Henri Margu piece.

J J
      Lady

I looked at a lot of online wigs when I first considered one. So many choices and no way to know how they really looked on me. This was before the various apps. I just sucked up and went into a wig salon and had the time of my life. I got to try on dozens of wigs, long ones, short one, red ones, blond ones, et cetera. The SA knew what she was doing and helped me pick out one that went well with my face and skin tone. No judgement, just good service to get the right wig for me. After it was all done she simply asked if I want to wear it home since it was now mine. I hadn’t planned to, but did, and it felt so wonderful to walk out the door in with my new look.

I have traveled with it, and just put it in a bag…not the best option, but it is a synthetic so it held its shape and style well. I have since bought a second one while traveling through Salt Lake City, and the two SAs were great about fitting me with a wig.

The best thing about wigs is we can fit our mood and look. As I get older I tend to go shorter and lighter, but I also have a longer, darker wig when I want to feel and look younger. I have purchased three wigs over the last 5-6 years, and think all three are in my picture section.

In case you haven’t noticed, I highly recommend buy it in person. Any salon in an urban area has probably sold dozens of wigs to men. The two salons I have visited acted like men getting fitted for a wig was perfectly normal, which it is, so enjoy.

Diana Stockton
      Baroness

I agree with going to a wig salon to purchase your wigs.  I bought so many junk wigs that looked terrible on me and they all still reside at the bottom of a tub.  My first visit to a wig salon and I found the wig style that I still wear today 4 years later.

Traveling I place my wig in a Tupperware container so it does not get crushed.  At home I purchased a Mini Traveling Wig Box / Makeup Case  on Amazon.  It is a bit to big to fit in my suitcase but still lets my wig breathe and not get crushed in it bin at home.

I’m a trans woman and wear a wig every day all day long, so it’s very important that it fits, that it looks like real hair and the style suits me. Almost all my wigs were bought at salons that sell and style wigs. I bought a couple through The BreastForm Store because I knew that style would work and they were top quality wigs.
      Don’t go cheap, with wigs, you do get what you pay for. When you’re wearing them as part of your life as a woman, you want top quality.

Hugs,

Ms. Lauren M

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Fashion Beauty & Makeup’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?