Viewing 19 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

In the UK here 100,000 people have installed smart doorbells. The internet connected devices notify the absent homeowner via smartphone. The owner can talk through an app to the person at the door using its built-in camera and microphone. But beware a woman who claimed her neighbour’s smart doorbell breached her privacy has just won a landmark legal case against her neighbour. The woman that brought the case won more than £ 100,000 in damages, as the court ruled her neighbour ‘s use of the camera broke data laws and amounted to harassment. The ruling is understood to be the first of its kind in the UK and could set a precedent for other owners of these devices. The ruling found the owner of the device, breached provisions of the data protection act 2018,and the general data protection regulations. It also rule that any images and audio files of her neighbour captured on the device were classed as her neighbours personal data to which she failed to process in a fair or transparent manner.

Amazon has now advised owners to put ring doorbell stickers on their door and windows to ensure people know they are being filmed.

Buying or thinking about one?. Check your legal obligation girls or it could be an expensive door bell.

Lol Amanda that

Amy Oxley
      Lady

Maybe the woman’s husband is a closet CD and she doesn’t want it getting out…

Angela Booth
      Hostess

I read that. This is not a new thing as it occurred when CCTV started to be a thing.

In this case they put these devices around the house due to being victims of crime. This was the same issue at some houses when CCTV was the new thing.  In installing these devices the range is for the purpose they were intended. If by chance it did cover a bit of the neighbours it would be deemed as acceptable. It is if it is set to cover a specific area, outside of reason, or multiple cameras were installed there could be an issue. 

The data laws here, GDPR, cover the way you use this information. In this case the words,’Neighbours personal data she failed to process in a fair and transparent manner’ is the key to the successful prosecution. She must have breached the regulations in what she did with the images. We can only surmise what she did and if there was any dispute prior to this case.

So if you do intend to install one following the instructions, and only use the images for the purpose of the device which is to deter crime or help in any investigation. If you get on with the neighbours and it covers a bit of their property let them know. It may also benefit them.

Anonymous

Hi Angela,

Exactly, you must know the legal requirements to all surveillance equipment. The fact Amazon have  only now advised people to put notices up after the case is disturbing since you have to with CCTV equipment.

Amanda xx

Thanks Amanda!
      Not sure if there any laws governing this in Australia.
      I would install a smart doorbell if I was living on my own.
      Love and hugs, Stephanie 💖

Anonymous

Amanda…

What a coincidence…I was just reading about smart doorbells a couple of days ago…

Apparently lots of the models are easy to hack into by criminals..they end up watching you watching them!!!

I remember my nan would be out the front once a week polishing her big brass door knocker…..it was wonderful at letting her know just who was at her door!!!!….she survived into her nineties……

Huggs, grace xx

Anonymous

Hi Grace,

There was a lot of blackmail cases a few years ago where hacker, hacked into indoor cameras and caught manly women undressing. Nothing it seems is safe.. Nan had it right let them knock the door, if you didn’t answer, they still didn’t know if you were in or not.

Lol Amanda xx

Anonymous

Never would want a smart doorbell or anything smart lucky only got 2 things and wish didnt have those a phone and TV. Did see also those doorbells caught some things on them like theft or storms going through. Even those shooting stars. Also seen too where people using smart baby monitors hackers breaking into them too and talking to the infant.  All this smart stuff need to slow down. and better protection.

Anonymous

Get smart and get rid of it I say Donna.

Amanda

Anonymous

be nice if could but do need a smart phone Maybe can trade for dumber tv lol. Don’t forget alexa or hey google. devices.

Living at the end of an long isolated driveway, best thing I’ve found is a driveway monitor, battery powered, mount next to the drive, sends a signal to another device in the house emitting a signal alarm. They don’t last but a year or two, and you do have to replace batteries, but very inexpensive simple gadgetry.

Anonymous

Good idea Kelli. xx

Barb Wire
      Lady

I’m never gonna get out the door with my heels on without someone knowing about it!

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I one day may just be a YouTube, Facebook or Instagram sensation, especially with the way I really want to dress! Just need to figure out how to monetize this.

May as well look for apples than lemons or grapes! No raspberries, please.

xo Barb

Anonymous

Hi Barb could always use the back door no doorbell cam there.

Barb Wire
          Lady

Genius!

Donna, you’re the best catcher out of all of us! You’ve delighted me many times with your way out-of-the-box thinking!

Back door… of course! DUH!

💓 Barb

Anonymous

Or could always go low then to the right or left away from the camera site. lol

Anonymous

If you do become a sensation, you will just have to give me your autograph! 🙂

Barb Wire
          Lady

Brilliant! $50 per autograph. That’s how I can monetize this!

Thanks, Dianne!

xo Barb

Aurora Lynne
        Baroness

Hi Barb,

I have wondered about that lately as well. I have been going boldly around town dressed the way I like to dress experiencing only positive results. I have thought lately though how easy it is these days for people to take photos or make videos.

Mind you, if that is the case and I find out I may be able to get a $10,000 compensation award from the court.

Aurora

Anonymous

Smart doorbells smartphones smart houses smart cars and stupid people can’t wait till we go back to rotary phones and standard stick shift

Anonymous

totally agree there remember took me a long time to go with a pushbutton home phone. Always loved my rotary phone then.

Ah, yes.  Maxwell Smart, Agent 86 of Control with his rotary (cell) shoe phone.  But it’s kinda hard to send a text with a rotary phone. 😛

Aurora Lynne
          Baroness

Hi Alison,

Exactly! Can you imagine going back to a world free from the interruption of text messages?

Anonymous

I am already displeased with the interruptions and privacy invasion of our Amazon Echo. It has been caught several times now listening to our private conversations even though we did not use the trigger word, and also several times interrupted a conversation to try to sell us an item related to what we were discussing , as well as targeted ads on our phones and tablets. It is one step away from being used as a skeet clay and tossed in the trash!

No way on Earth I would bring video monitoring into my life too! Not to mention the hackers.

This “internet of things” is fast becoming a dystopian nightmare. George Orwell underestimated!

Anonymous

Hi Dianne,

Absolutely agree it’s fast becoming an electronic data collection device. Life is a lot better with out all this stuff.

Amanda xx

Aurora Lynne
        Baroness

Hi Dianne,

As you say, George Orwell seems to have underestimated.

The smart T.V.s are very likely smarter than any of us think.

Aurora

No smart doorbells here, but I have a camera system around our home 6 of them watch the front, all of my neighbors that are in viewing range know about them, and have shared some of the footage for them when they requested. They have thank us for having it. The local police have been by about 3 times in the past 10 years to collect some recordings. It did solve a robbery from 3 houses down the street, Dog napping, Some people checking cars that are not locked, and Doorbell runners. It might sound like a rough street, but its not.

-Tina-

Anonymous

Haha anyone notice while in this thread and posts shoing advertising for cam systems or the worlds best device the smart doorbells haha

Anonymous

Hi Amanda

We have a smart doorbell and as I have discovered there is another downside, for girls like me in the closet I cannot go out or past the front door without my wife noticing. It notifies her of any movement out the front of our house.

Love Sarah

xx

Aurora Lynne
      Baroness

I would say have a device by which one can knock on the door.
      If someone answers the summons, they are home… if not, then they are not at home.

Anonymous

Hi Aurora,

I just have an ordinary door bell run by batteries indoors.

Disconnect at the weekend and I am never home, brilliant.

Lol Amanda xx

K Swim
      Lady

I do have cameras, but installed in places that no one should be going without permission (example: front porch, but in a corner near the ceiling facing downward…they keep an eye on packages delivered while I’m at work). That way, if anyone tried to claim privacy issues against me, they would be confessing to trespassing since my cameras would not be able to see them otherwise. Also, I have full control of all my hardware. I do not use third party services for any of them.

Anonymous

try to stay away from alexa google home ring doorbells. and all smart cameras. Sometimes wear a tin foil hat lol no just kidding. Oh keep distance from smart cars that drive themselves.

Aurora Lynne
      Baroness

Hi Amanda,

What are the chances that this is going to spill over to dashcams?

‘Well, your Honourship, he filmed my car without my consent.’

The ownder of the dashcam would get off on a technicality though due to the arcaic usage of the verb ‘Filmed’.

Anonymous

Hi Aurora,

Using a past tense derived from a Germanic origin, probably. Images recorded for security that’s covers it.

Lol Amanda

Anonymous

Amanda…..

On a lighter note…..

a door bell that could make that first coffee in the morning and hand it to me,  while i’m having trouble even thinking…..now that’s a SMART DOORBELL!!!!

Smiles, grace xx

Anonymous

Well Grace my coffee machine is set up on  a timer, hot  Italian coffee, before I’ve even got a toe out of bed. Now a smart doorbell  that makes it’s self unconspicuous as it detects a person, brilliant.

Lol Amanda xx

My coffeemaker  is on a timer also and starts brewing 5 minutes before my alarm starts its s**t when I get up.  Usually I am greeted by the aroma of whatever coffee  loaded before I went to bed.  Excellent way to wake up and be guided over the stumling path to the kitchen.

PaulaF

Emily Alt
      Managing Ambassador

Besides the obvious privacy issues, smart devices create significant cybersecurity risks for the owner.  In a nutshell, they’re a backdoor into your home network.  Most owners don’t take the necessary precautions to mitigate the potential for abuse.

If you’re interested, you can learn more here: https://www.cybertakes.com/smart-homes-open-season-for-digital-intruders/

Emily

Anonymous

Hi Emily,

Ironic, isn’t it? All these microchipped devices that are supposed to improve your life, but actually open up your home network to hacking.

I’m thinking of putting an un-networked security light up – so visitors don’t stumble on the path to the door which I forget to lock 😉

Marti xxx

Emily Alt
          Managing Ambassador

I work in tech but have to admit lo/no tech solutions are often the best.  For example, you could protect that unlocked door with a big noisy dog that doesn’t like strangers.  Way better than any alarm system!

Prudence
      Ambassador

Hi Amanda, that tech.  stuff is lost on me.  My doorbell is just a ding dong!  giggle  hugs

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?