Viewing 14 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

I write reviews for movies, books, and television shows. They are posted on various places around the internet. I am planning to do a series review for the latest Star Trek series, Picard.

I want to mention that the first episode had some wonderful affirmative statements that touched me as a person exploring and discovering my transgender nature. If you have any thoughts about the show, or about the affirmation hits/misses, or even just love/hate comments, I would be interested.

One rule: NO SPOILERS!

Christy
      Lady

So far, so good. They are building up the story arc.

Anonymous

I agree. I think it could be a fun run.

Anonymous
      Lady

Hey Genie as an OLD Trekkie I just had to chime in. I still think Kirk was the best Captain but enjoy most of what they have done to keep the franchise alive with the exception of screwing with the timelines in some of the latest movies. My children (11 & 14) were started on the old Star Trek and didn’t get to watch TNG until after watching the old series and are quite opinionated on who was the best captain. So just to stir the pot I have to say GO KIRK!!  If they keep to a fixed reality and don’t mess with time lines I will support the new series but if they take too many “artistic liberties” they will loose me fast.

Lets hope for the best!

🍷C

Anonymous

Carolyne, I’ve never gotten into the Kirk v Picard rivalry. I watched TOS when I was little (syndication – OLD trekkie – in the ’70’s). TNG was my Trek. But I can’t pick or choose which was the best captain. I loved Sisko and Janeway. And the “new” Pike on Discovery is amazing.

Hi Genie,

I am  an ultra keen telly watcher and a big fan of American/Canadian TV shows.  I have recorded Pecard and will binge watch the whole series when it finishes.

I must have several hundred series ready to watch so keep the spoilers to a minimum  🙂

Sally xx

Anonymous

Sally, I really do try to avoid spoilers when I do reviews. I will not reveal anything too shockingly spoilery.

Michelle Liefde
      Ambassador

Really hoping to catch this series at some point.  Like you Genie, I watched TOS in reruns in the 70s, I will admit I fell in love with the show, partly because of a certain uniform but mostly cause I really love SciFi.  So look forward to reading what you have to say.  Also, if you ever want to do a review on a any CD or TG film, book or series, please do submit an article.  I am always looking for other voices for the Media Review.

Hugs,

Michelle

Samantha Joan
      Hostess

Hi Genie!

I am liking Picard immensely.

There is a definite feeling that we are way beyond the final episode of TNG, plus the supposed security and by-the-book approach to Starfleet/Federation.

It does feel that the plot, story and cast has been well thought out, without rushing to get from script to screen. We are finally getting more understanding of life on 24th century Earth, which we only saw before, briefly in DS9, Homefront & Paradise Lost.

I am also liking the new characters, without the heavy focus on the original TNG cast. Without giving too much away, references to past TNG characters are subtle all with a long term vision.

I too, will always be in love with the TOS female uniforms, however being the nerd that I am will need a proper Starfleet regulation replica one! Bring on the next Star Trek convention!

Samantha x x

Anonymous

Today is my catch up day. I haven’t gotten back to it lately but today will be a binge catchup

Picard looks good but there’s just no way I can afford all these streaming services. Yeesh! I’d kind of like to get DC Universe, but same problem.

I don’t understand the rivalry between fans of the Trek series. I guess folks can argue about Original Trek or The New Guys, but I think they’d get tired of that and try a different brand. Sooner or later, everyone comes to Babylon 5. <MIC DROPPED!>

Anonymous

I understand that Dee. I ended up shutting off my satellite and going to all streaming services just to save money. The DC is a good deal ONLY if you want access to the comics library. Their show library is tiny. Wait for the HBO service that will combine some of the DC library.

The rivalry is probably like the rivalry of music generations. The rock of the ’50’s was not as good as the rock of the ’70’s. The pop of the ’80’s was far better than the pop of the 00’s. That kind of argument.

I love all of them, although I confess that the Original series isn’t in my top 3 list. Discovery and Picard are both excellent and deserve a lot the praise they have earned; even if it messes with people’s definitions of Starfleet or the Federation. I think it is masterfully done.

Michelle Liefde
        Ambassador

Dee, thank you! You just put a big smile on my face! I was listening to a webcast on about the rivalry last night and it is pretty silly. Everyone knows that real one is the Old Battlestar Galactica vs. New….or was it old Doctor Who vs New. I am just happy that there is content out there though wish there was a way to watch without paying additional fees as well. By the way, I love B5 oh so very much hence the smile!

Hugs,
        Michelle

Amy Myers
      Baroness

Yes Samantha, I could certainly go for one of those uniforms!

Amy

Anonymous

I finished Picard. WOW!

This is not a hardcore Starfleet/Federation Trek show. This is about Jean-Luc Picard. This is about the character that so many fell in love with during the series and in the movies. I would argue that the relevant history of this show goes back as far as Picard’s assimilation as Locutus. Anything before those episodes is really not relevant. Everything from Best of Both Worlds on through the last movie (especially the last movie) is useful. There are a couple of older points of reference (Bruce Maddox features heavily in this series, and was a side character in a Season 2 episode this a still a fan favorite; the Stargazer and Picard Manuever are referenced). You do not have to be a die-hard fan to enjoy the series, but knowing some of this material will make the series more meaningful.

Speaking of meaningful – old friends return. One, in particular, takes on a huge role in a supporting plot device. Hugh is back. Another old friend, who never met Picard in any previous incarnation, returns to the Trek universe – Seven. And she is as lovely and freaking awesome as ever. Riker and Troi have sort of moved on. Data, well, that is an important part of this entire season. You need to watch this series if you ever identified with Data in any way.

The quality of the work is superb. The writing and cinematography are all top quality. The CGI and sets are beautiful. The characters are deep and engaging. Especially Jean-Luc, who has changed so much from his active days in the Big Chair. He has softened, but only in important ways. He is more compassionate and gracious and kind. I think he sees the hard edges he used to have, that made him an icon of Starfleet, have cost him so much of his intimacy he seems to be longing for at this point in his life.

Can a non-TNG or a non-Trek fan get into this? Yes, I think so. What makes this series so powerful and impactful (for me, a TNG original fan) is the way this new series is woven into the fabric of the old series. Little pieces of story and plots are bound into the building of new characters and worlds. There are some new elements that are introduced from the “dark ages” of Trek (the time without an ongoing story of these characters). But the way they are linked to the past and present narratives makes it seem like we were there. It is the weaving that makes for delightful viewing for fans. I believe non-fans will find enough to hold their attention if they understand the bare minimum of characters and stories.

It may not be worth you picking up the CBS All Access Streaming service. Right now (until April 23, 2020) there is a free pass. It is worth binging. Especially if you are stuck at home with nothing new to dig into.

Just binge watched the Picard series, I say binge watched but I fell asleep during every episode it was so boring. A scrawny 90 year old doesn’t belong in an adventure movie which is probably why there wasn’t any. I was very disappointed and my star rating is 1/10, bet there won’t be a series 2.

Sally

Dawn Judson
      Ambassador

“Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us, on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they’ll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived.”

This Picard quote inspires me to follow through with my transition. I want to cherish every moment, as a woman, that I can. I want to live a life as full of joy as possible.

Somewhat bizarrely, I often get mistaken for Patrick Stewart when I’m not Sophie….

Debbie J
      Lady

Spoilers below, for those who haven’t watched he show. 

I was unimpressed. This comes from looking at the series as a fiction, without comparing it to any other Trek.

Storywise, there’s far too much that was pointless. 7 of 9 has no real purpose in the story, for instance…although I suspect that, like Voyager, she was included for sex appeal. She has lots of screen time, but none of it leads to anything which affects the storyline. Similarly, Hugh the Borg appears to have been included merely as fan service, and really all of the plot revolving around the captured Borg cube could have been done away with without the overall story suffering at all. Picard’s death is particularly pointless (again for my suspicions, I wonder if Stewart wanted a death scene). He dies, with people gathered around him crying and moaning, and then after an interior mind scene he’s back, and they go out of their way to explain that he’ll be just like he was before he died. As was said in one of the oldest Trek novels, “A difference which makes no difference is no difference.”

The characters are, overall, bland and similarly fan-servicey. They also tend to suffer from a lack of believable motivation. Raffi goes from outwardly hating Picard and drawing a gun on him to agreeing to accompany him on his quest, with nothing occuring between the two states that seems to justify the change. Agnes kills a man, who might possibly have been her lover, goes through a mental breakdown…then is OK, and all is forgiven. The Captain of the ship which Picard hires goes through some sort of demons, apparently having something to do with one of the androids, but then he’s OK too. Even Picard’s actions frequently make no sense.

The only character I found to be truly compelling was Dahj, and she dies in the first episode. Soji picked up where she left off, and at least there was some inner turmoil which she had trouble dealing which revolving around her discovery that she was not who she thought she was, an existential crisis. By my standards, though, she a) gets over this far too quickly, and then b) joins with the anti-organics far too easily. Those few minutes of the season should have BEEN the season. That’s the compelling story.

Out of the 10 episodes, the only one I cared for was episode 8, Nepenthe. I thought I would dislike this episode, assuming that it was going to be fan service itself, bringing back Riker and Troi without a compelling reason. Instead, we go to see that these characters had grown and changed, and believable so. They have a daughter, who steals the episode, and they both take on the role of mentoring their friend and former colleague. For me, however, one good hour out of 10 is just too low a percentage.

Anonymous

I believe there were clearly weak spots. I approached it as a continuation of the series and sought to find the connections and growth of characters.

The inclusion of past Trek characters was more than fan-service. The writers developed their story and found a place fitting for those characters. Bruce Maddux, Hugh, and Seven all played a significant role in connecting the original series to the new extension. Picard’s portrayal as a rebel fighting the establishment’s androidphobia allowed Hugh and Seven to be identified as marginalized persons. Picard’s ability to identify with the marginalized was highlighted enough times in TNG to bring this new form of phobia to the front. It may not be enough to stand on its own as a narrative. I feel it was never written to do so.

Debbie J
      Lady

[postquote quote=332628][/postquote]
      Sadly for you and I, they’re already working on a second season. The thing to remember is that being on a streaming service they don’t have to have huge numbers like they would on broadcast television.

Debbie J
      Lady

I’ve posted variations of what I wrote above in many places. One things I point out in most of them is that different people enjoy different elements. I know lots of people who enjoy an episode which introduces a new ship, for instance, and while I”m a Treknologist myself, seeing a new ship along isn’t enough to win me over.

The things I needed to see just weren’t there. Other people saw the things that thhey needed to see and were happy.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?