Viewing 10 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi Girls,

You may or may not have noticed, but Stephen Sondheim died the other day.

Now I’m not into musicals and rarely go to the theatre, but there’s some wonderful songs come out of them. And Sondheim provided a few.

My favourite Sondheim song?

“Send in the clowns”. For me a delicious reminder that sometimes the reason life is complicated, is that just maybe, it’s ourselves doing the complicating.

Marti xxx

Edit: If you can, try to find your way to Cleo Laine’s version.

Such a body of work….hard to pick a single favourite, but I really like the score from Stavisky – probably pegs me as an old-timer, and so be it LOL!  Sad to think that he’s gone now…..

Marcellette

Marti,
      I agree with you, I think Send in the clowns is his best song. Think Elaine Paige version’s is the best. However we will all our favourites. Sad to hear of his of his death.
      Liz

Sylvia
      Lady

Dear Marti ,

I think the songs from the West Side Story.

Love Sylvia.

“Send in the Clowns” is probably my favorite too.

But I must confess I’ve sung “I Feel Pretty” a few times while dressing up.  And surely I’m not the only one.

Jennifer,

And I would’ve thought you’d be singing “Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress”!

Silly me.

-joanne

You are certainly not alone Jennifer.I have sang it whilst dressed.

Angela Booth
      Hostess

I am not too familiar with Sondheims music but know about West Side Story. I remember ‘I feel pretty’  is one I remember above the rest. In 1975 Judy Collins released ‘Send in the clowns’ and think it is the best version of that song. In recent years the great British Dame Judi Dench murdered sang it.

Anonymous

Sad loss to the music industry, such an amazingly talented man. For me it would   be his award winning musical “Company”. 

Lol Amanda xx

ChloeC
      Duchess

Ive always liked the Judy Collins version of Send In The Clowns but every so often ill go to the Judi Dench version as it is even more heartbreaking…at least to me.

Prudence
      Ambassador

Hi Marti, I would go with West Side Story. Saw it when I was about 5. I have it on dvd. When your a Jet, Hugs Pru

Anonymous

Hi Pru,

“I like to be in America …” still sends tingles up my spine.

Marti xxx

Prudence
          Ambassador

I Love that song. If I could only sing and dance!  Hugs

Mine is Anyone Can Whistle.Love the original version by Lee Remick on the 1964 Broadway Cast album.Also love the two versions by Cleo Laine,first one was with James Galway on their duets album Sometimes When We Touch.The second one was on her Cleo Sings Somdheim album.A close second to A.C.W is Happily Ever After.It was the prototype to Being Alive from Company.

I must mention another of Sondheim favourite of mine as it is closely associated with my crossdressing.It’s ‘ Sooner Or Later’ from the movie Dick Tracey.It was originally sang by Madonna in the movie but I love the version by Cabaret singer and actress Karen Akers. When I was a closeted dresser before my wife’s acceptance I used to sing along to this version in the mirror whilst wearing a glittery dress.I have a good singing voice and I am a good mimic and would sing in a female voice.Would also singalong to Shirley Bassey,Vicki Carr,Barbra Streisand  and Doris Day tracks.It was like my own personal drag show.Didn’t look too bad but I was not on a par with Jim Bailey.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All the Arts – Music, Movies, TV and More’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?