- March 31, 2021 at 6:52 am #471702LisaTParticipantRegistered On: January 31, 2021Topics: 41Replies: 472Has thanked: 357 timesBeen thanked: 2112 times
For those of you not seeing the British press there is an interesting little article that seems to be on many new streams. Apparently the Swiss army source of the ubiquitous multi tool penknife is to start issueing its female recruits with women’s knickers. Until now the ladies have apparently been issued with men’s underwear and even then it’s often in quite large sizes.
Several thoughts occur to me one of which is that it would seem that the Swiss have an absence of crossdressers or even women in their senior ranks or one might suppose this issue would have been addressed earlier. It is the case that only 0.8% of the Swiss army is female and this is part of an effort to recruit more women to their ranks.
The other thought that occurs is that given how good the Swiss generally are at design and quality I wounded whether Swiss army knickers could like the knives come available on the open market in which case I would probably want to give a pair a try.
- April 1, 2021 at 2:13 pm #472259Paula FDuchessRegistered On: August 7, 2019Topics: 13Replies: 1029Has thanked: 13098 timesBeen thanked: 4061 times
Without actually seeing what type of undies the government of any nation would issue to their female soldiers, you would get probably as many descriptions as you would have countries. A really nice Army sergeant that I knew several years ago told me once that the US Government issues only 3 sizes of clothing, outer and under wear-wise:1 Big, 2 BIGGER, and 3 WTF?
Being Swiss, do these all come in Olive Green, Sand Beige, Mountain Gray or Snow White? How many pockets will they have to carry all of a woman’s needs? Cotton, Nylon or Wool? Summer weight or winter insulated?
Just too many things to consider really. Of course, being the Swiss, the guys get to wear the bright yellow and blue, just like a peacock, while the women are drabbed out so they can hide in the bushes.
1 user thanked author for this post.
- April 1, 2021 at 11:28 am #472216Inga KrasivayaLadyRegistered On: January 18, 2021Topics: 16Replies: 391Has thanked: 451 timesBeen thanked: 1306 times
An update to my original post; apparently, they are issuing the Swiss Misses two versions of the army underwear – winter and summer. I really don’t want to think what the winter version is likely to look like. Second bit is the classic quote from “The Third Man”: Harry Lime (played by Orson Welles) tells Holly Martins “in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance.
- March 31, 2021 at 8:43 pm #471985Polly StewartLadyRegistered On: January 2, 2021Topics: 10Replies: 878Has thanked: 1233 timesBeen thanked: 2908 times
If I may throw my 2cents in…
I lived in Switzerland for two years and through a very good friend learnt lots about their military. My friend was, at the time, a major and had access to all sorts of stuff… no secret squirrel stuff here but generally known info.
Beth has given us a synopsis of their military so I thought I would fill in some other stuff…
Even when I was living there every new built house had to have a nuclear proof bunker built into the basement. Their boast was to have the entire population underground within 15 minutes! I don’t believe this idea/law is still in use… all reservists keep their weapons in the bunker as well. Oh, by the way… not just their personal weapon and ammunition but their rocket launchers, grenades, GPMGs, radios et al. Any infringement of the country’s strict gun laws carries a minimum 20 year prison term, non-negotiable!
Another fact that should dissuade potential invaders is the fact that all military units are based on the village, town, suburb etc. Everyone has something to fight for! Their friends, their families, their properties before their country…
As befits the inventors of the famous Swiss Army Knife all of the country is useable for different tasks. I have an actual Army issue knife that has specific tools for care of personal weapons… it comes in green!
As for the topic… my recollection of military underwear is less than favourable! Horrible cotton undies that fell apart if wet! The long underwear was really horrible as well… we all had bought non issue!
I can’t think that the Swiss would come up with something that wasn’t utilitarian through and through!
Ohh… another little fact (and I have seen it with my own eyes) all their mountains have caverns the size of warehouses plus that are stuffed with military hardware, food, hospital supplies…
Yoodallayhedoo… oddledaadoo… yayaadeeedeloo!
- March 31, 2021 at 10:21 pm #472016Vecca SennLadyRegistered On: February 22, 2021Topics: 5Replies: 121Has thanked: 647 timesBeen thanked: 375 times
You are speaking my language! I love most of what the Swiss do with their military and how they use them for enforcing neutrality. I didn’t think Army Lingerie would be a thing, but they may be improving on that front as well!
- March 31, 2021 at 9:52 pm #472011Beth GreenLadyRegistered On: February 24, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 179Has thanked: 629 timesBeen thanked: 896 times
The Swiss may be the sweet little chocolate makers of Europe, fastidious clock makers, cheese experts and incredible engineers (their railroads are incredible) but don’t mess with them! They are very proud of their little country.
- April 1, 2021 at 3:22 pm #472291Laura LovettLadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 1091Has thanked: 3586 timesBeen thanked: 5278 times
I went to see the Large Hadron Collider at CERN a few years ago – that’s an impressive machine!
The old colliders (bubble chambers) are exhibits outside the facility, and look like something out of a 1960s sci fi movie – especially the BEBC.
It was a fascinating day, but I still don’t really understand the fundamental physics of the universe, despite this guy’s explanation:
- March 31, 2021 at 3:03 pm #471872Gillian BrownLadyRegistered On: May 22, 2019Topics: 1Replies: 306Has thanked: 521 timesBeen thanked: 508 times
- April 1, 2021 at 4:29 pm #472323Polly StewartLadyRegistered On: January 2, 2021Topics: 10Replies: 878Has thanked: 1233 timesBeen thanked: 2908 times
It was called the corkscrew! Always tempting to open a bottle or two to prise anyone away from the task at hand, so to speak.
Prising Polly away…🥂🤪
1 user thanked author for this post.
- March 31, 2021 at 3:10 pm #471875
- March 31, 2021 at 11:42 am #471809LadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 1091Has thanked: 3586 timesBeen thanked: 5278 times
I had heard that your mind was fairly deviant, sorry that should be devious but 100 uses for panties. I can think of four but I. Stretching even then.
“Stretching…” – I see what you did there…
- March 31, 2021 at 9:17 am #471761Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 20Replies: 2001Has thanked: 3887 timesBeen thanked: 7068 times
- March 31, 2021 at 11:40 am #471807Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 52Replies: 1100Has thanked: 3821 timesBeen thanked: 5714 times
- March 31, 2021 at 3:03 pm #471873Dawn WyvernManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: February 23, 2019Topics: 6Replies: 291Has thanked: 250 timesBeen thanked: 1162 times
- March 31, 2021 at 12:12 pm #471826Beth GreenLadyRegistered On: February 24, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 179Has thanked: 629 timesBeen thanked: 896 times
They have a small but fine army for defending their neutrality. Throughout history they were overrun by every power on the continent until the people got sick of it and formed the modern union. They then chased out the invaders, sometimes with pitch forks. They formed a small but effective army and they have never been invaded again. Try invading a mountainous nation where every cave and crevice has a sharpshooter rifleman.
Every male over 18 is required to serve, I believe it is 18 months, and they are beginning to bring in more women. They remain in the reserve for life but one of the benefits is they get to keep their issued rifle.
A side branch of the army, I don’t believe they are officially connected but it counts as service, is the Swiss Gaurd. The official security for the Pope and the Vatican. The very limited positions are often heredity and of course must be Catholic.
A bit off the CDH topics but a little fun.
- March 31, 2021 at 12:53 pm #471831Inga KrasivayaLadyRegistered On: January 18, 2021Topics: 16Replies: 391Has thanked: 451 timesBeen thanked: 1306 times
A couple of side notes on the side note…… Firstly, please see the excellent “Storming The Eagles Nest – Hitler’s war in the Alps” by Jim Ring (Faber & Faber, 2013) which deals with the excellent preparations by the equally excellent Swiss Army. As you mention, other countries have not always respected Swiss neutrality; while the Helvetic cantons were not theoretically neutral in 1799, Suvorov’s superb campaign of that year (which Marshal Ney – “The Bravest Of The Brave” – said he would exchange all of his victories for) effectively ensured the French would not gain Switzerland by default. The Swiss have a proud – and deserved – reputation for defending themselves. The second thing… Switzerland is a landlocked country; 5 points for anyone who can identify why they have a navy… (Yes, they do!) Sorry to ramble to such little effect – it’s a long and boring evening, so I thought I’d be long and boring to you all. My apologies: Inga.
- March 31, 2021 at 2:08 pm #471855LadyRegistered On: February 24, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 179Has thanked: 629 timesBeen thanked: 896 times
They have several large mountain lakes, a few that are on German or French borders. I imagine they patrol those border waters, hence a navy, of sorts. They probably spend more time assisting or rescuing civilians that get in trouble. Those mountain waters are cold so don’t fall in.
- April 1, 2021 at 12:34 pm #472238Inga KrasivayaLadyRegistered On: January 18, 2021Topics: 16Replies: 391Has thanked: 451 timesBeen thanked: 1306 times
Five points to Beth… and at the moment I’d be happy to fall into a Swiss lake – at least I would be out of the UK and enjoying a look at the outside world! Definitely-Not-Travelsick Inga…
1 user thanked author for this post.
- March 31, 2021 at 12:29 pm #471827
- March 31, 2021 at 8:45 am #471748stephanie plumbBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 146Replies: 1955Has thanked: 3116 timesBeen thanked: 8996 times
If like their cuckoo clocks they will be well engineered. Now to me the words engineered and panties don’t sit well together. I suspect they will be super efficient – again not a panties word. Designed for combat – will they have built in Tena-like capabilities, or a drain tube for calls of nature, or a back-flap? I have the horrible feeling they will be very utilitarian and not colourful or pretty. Not a bow in sight, nor lace trim. Shades of khaki, brown, or camouflage.
The winter ones sound like Long-Johns or Norah Batty’s wrinkled hosiery, so I assume the summer ones will be a cut down version. Man shorts for girls! I wonder if they have ventilation holes in, like Swiss Cheese. I wouldn’t be fondue of them if that were the case.
So, I think I will give them a miss. I will stay with Vanever and M&S. After all M&S panties are not just panties, they are M&S panties.
- March 31, 2021 at 11:40 am #471805LadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 1091Has thanked: 3586 timesBeen thanked: 5278 times
- April 1, 2021 at 11:52 am #472221Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 52Replies: 1100Has thanked: 3821 timesBeen thanked: 5714 times
- April 1, 2021 at 12:21 pm #472235LadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 1091Has thanked: 3586 timesBeen thanked: 5278 times
My paternal grandparents had a magnificent cuckoo clock which fascinated me no end – when I got my first watch, I’d rush to watch the birdie.
Before each “cuckoo”, it always made a “dang” sound.
I pictured that then got a very disturbing follow up image.
Not sure I’d want to see 12 o’clock…
- March 31, 2021 at 8:41 am #471746
- March 31, 2021 at 7:25 am #471713Clara CrossLadyRegistered On: December 7, 2020Topics: 9Replies: 226Has thanked: 651 timesBeen thanked: 1046 times
- March 31, 2021 at 11:49 am #471811
- March 31, 2021 at 7:20 am #471711
- March 31, 2021 at 7:08 am #471708Baroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 52Replies: 1100Has thanked: 3821 timesBeen thanked: 5714 times
Hi Lisa….this did make me chuckle…thank you..
The thought that issuing female soldiers with female underwear will invite mass recruiting…very funny…
Two thoughts crossed my mind…will the panties be nice female colours…or camouflage, after all, you would hate to be taken out by a sniper while having a pee….cerise can be seen from miles away!!!
Secondly, will swiss army panties be the same as the knives….a hundred different uses!!!!
Where do I sign up, grace xxx
- March 31, 2021 at 8:27 am #471738LisaTLadyRegistered On: January 31, 2021Topics: 41Replies: 472Has thanked: 357 timesBeen thanked: 2112 times
- March 31, 2021 at 7:04 am #471707LadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 1091Has thanked: 3586 timesBeen thanked: 5278 times
Ugggh! Poor women!
Can you imagine being forced to wear men’s pants?
The very thought!
Now I wonder if the Swiss Army Knickers come with a corkscrew, screwdrivers and a handy pair of tweezers?
I’d hope there might be a lipstick in there for emergencies too… maybe a manicure set?
- April 1, 2021 at 11:04 pm #472411LadyRegistered On: March 26, 2020Topics: 13Replies: 1091Has thanked: 3586 timesBeen thanked: 5278 times
“The opinions in the article are solely those of the authors”….
Looks like the author loves his sci-fi – I recognised a lot of stuff straight out of Pratchett in there.
Dinosaurs walking down the high street?
There’s a potential future to consider indeed…
Interesting read – thank you!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.