Viewing 18 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

I am getting my initial visit appt with my doctor next week. I have met her before (she is my wife’s doctor). She is young, and has seen the world so I believe she is well rounded culturally. My question is should I tell her I am a crossdresser? (I’m thinking of that “oops” visit when I forget I have panties on, or some such thing. I am not planning to transition so that is not a reason. I do trust her, but is this something she needs to know? What do you think, ladies? Does your PCP know?

Anonymous

Hi Kristen…

Things came to a head for me regarding depression just after Christmas….and after a long meeting with my doctor, I told her. I even took off a shoe and sock and showed her my red toenails!!.

She has been my doctor for a long time and I feel comfortable talking to her anyway….

everything you tell your doctor is confidential, so be assured it won’t go any further. The choice is yours, but I’m sure she will be sympathetic.

best wishes, grace xx

Thank you Grace Scarlett. I do trust her, I was with my wife in one of her appts. and I saw no reasons to be concerned about any confidentiality issues.

Why not?

I told my chiropractor a long time ago, and now I always visit her as Laura – she insists, and always sits me down for a girl chat and cup of herbal tea before assaulting my back!

To her, I am now Laura, even though I had been visiting her for years previously as male me.

Love Laura

Anonymous

Grace beat me to it, but I was going to point out the various entities who have professional obligations to keep things that patients/clients say to them as confidential. Honestly, it seems like an excellent idea to try out your coming out story with someone who is professionally obligated to keep it secret.

I’d say that cross dressing relates specifically to a number of health benefits (I started a post on this a day or 2 ago — the health benefits of CDing), so it seems relevant to your overall health such that it merits mentioning to the doc if you like her. In addition to being a doc, she’s also a real live human being, so it’ll be good to gauge her reaction. I say do it!

It isn’t really a medical secret and, while doctors have at least an ethics of (if not a legal obligation to maintain) confidentiality, that may only apply to medical issues.

If you feel it necessary to obviate any future embarrassment, then it might be useful, otherwise why would she need to know?

It could also be useful in that by ‘confessing’ to her you are giving her an opportunity to better understand related gender issues, then that might be beneficial. If you feel that you could play such the role of a mentor.

I suppose, all-in-all, any expansion of awareness into the general consciousness can be a good thing.

Araminta.

Kristen, I have thought about. I have no interest starting hormone treatment, and absolutely no surgery.

I guess the only reason to do it is to go “on the record”. My regular visit is in August so I’ll see.

Thanks Kristen for bring up a touchy issue.

Diane

For me to wear them without saying anything in advance but knowing they saw them was so nice as I never again have to fear forgetting to get the “right” underwear on before heading to the doctor’s and no reason to panic and say oops. I do not wear anything lacy or the more girly colors but if I do forget that then they will just get to see prettier undies😊

Amy Myers
      Baroness

I’m not sure I can make that choice for you, but for me I haven’t told my doctor yet. I always wear panties, so if need be I have no problem with the doc or staff seeing them. Which then might bring the need for an explanation, or not.

I’ve seen a physical therapist and where my pants had to be slid down a touch, and he must have noticed, but never said anything.

Two other things come to mind, the first, as others have mentioned they are obligated to keep patients information secret, and an experienced doctor must have seen way more shocking things then either a male patient in panties, or that he dresses up in women’s clothes.

I do agree with a previous poster who said that telling your doctor about your crossdressing will help them to understand you better, and should it factor into some health question or concern she is already in the know.

Amy

I agree, informing one’s PCP of their CD/TG status has merit and can relieve a lot of anxiety if the doctor is a part of the inner circle that one comes out to. I informed my PCP who maintains a satellite office near where I live as a part of the regions primary Veterans Affairs medical center. I when I told her I am transgender and will transition she was very calm about it and asked if I have been dressing as a woman. Bristling with confidence now that “bird has taken flight” I mentioned that I have been enjoying dressing as a woman for over 15 years and that I first began crossdressing 35 years ago. She made a note of it in my medical record and took the next step of arranging to meet with a TG care therapist. Although the appointment is not in person considering COVID is still present, I am still very excited meet with her via zoom next Wednesday morning.

That’s way cool,I wish you well and much luv in your journey.

Bridgette

Thank you!

A much anticipated and long awaited beginning on my amazing transformation.

Cassie Jayson
      Duchess

Telling another person can be so liberating. I’ve now told all 4 of my brothers and now at least the worry of them find out by accident and for 3 of the 4 I had no negative comments. At this pooint I need to get back to the last one to have at least a short discussion about it. As for my doctor I don’t know yet,a female doctor would be easier for my I think??
      Sandy

Sandy,

Indeed, it was a very liberating experience for me to come out to my female primary care physician who was accepting. From my experience finding a physician you can trust is the most important regardless if they are male or female. But in my honest opinion it may be easier to coming out to one who is female but it may vary depending on the individual physician.

I recently have had multiple Dr’s visits in which they had to see my panties… is all I wear… not one was I judged.. they didn’t even mention the fact I was wearing panties. They don’t know the extent that I cross dress but I believe most have probably seen weirder things than just a man or woman in what they deem comfortable…

My pcp knows and so does my urologist they are the only ones who have seen my undies as the other docs are a podiatrist and an ophthalmologist and I think it would be strange if I had to strip for them.  I did not say anything in advance and they made no comments although one of them did say to pull my undies down fir the prostrate check.

I just went to a dermatologist wearing a thong under leggings, socks and trainers, a loose top over a tee shirt, but no makeup or wig, definitely presenting as male, just not in standard attire. There was no question. I misremember when my next GP visit is, but I think I’m gonna tell her. It’s sometime above and breathing, with the advantage that they can’t tell. I’m comfortable with her anyways. Nearly all my doctors are women, I don’t really want to deal with men for most things. Urologist is male though…

Bridgette prefers female docs

skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

I wear colored polish on my fingers and toes 24/7 (and have been complimented on my nails many times!)and I haven’t worn guys undies in 5 years (or for that matter any guys clothes though until recently it was just skinny jeans and ladies polos- now I wear heeled boots or sandals and womens tops all the time.

I don’t care if any docs/nurses see or know- I will not go out of my way to tell them but if asked I will be honest. Still it is up to each individual what you choose to do.

Ladies,
      I want to clear up I am not worried about confidentiality, nor “shocking” her. I was a paramedic for a dozen years and I saw a lot of things out there, including feminine attire on men. I never passed judgment on anyone as to what they were wearing or what caused 911 to be called.
      They just needed my skills and help, so that’s what I gave them. I am sure my doc has seen everything, as she has worked in large hospital ER’s in big cities (Chicago, Philly). I think I will tell her.

If, for some reason you felt it was medically necessary (and medically includes psychological health) to disclose cross dressing to your health care provider, by all means, do so. Otherwise, from the professional’s point of view, your choice of panties would be about as significant as someone’s choice of boxers or briefs. They just won’t care. However, the fact that you make a disclosure of any physical, psychological or behavioral trait in the context of a medical exam should certainly prompt the next question from the doc: “does cross dressing cause you distress or interfere with healthy functioning in other aspects of your life?” I’d think they were derelict if they didn’t ask you why you brought it up, even if your answer is a rather benign, “I thought you should know”. You should feel absolutely free to discuss anything with a medical professional. It’s up to you.

(not a) Doctor Clara

Well, I told my doctor. she cared about it as much as she cares about the color of the flooring in the exam room. She just said “that’s nice, any problems because of it I should be aware of?” She did ask a few of what I would call curiosity questions, like what styles I like, where do I mostly shop, things of that nature. She did ask what was my favorite shoe style and brand which I thought was kind of funny. (I can wear a women’s sz 10 U.S. no problem). Mostly she just went on with her exam and chastised me for my poor diet choices.

Not necessary to tell her unless it is somehow medically relevant. Just wear your normal panties and let her make her own decisions. I always wear panties, (if I am wearing any undies at all!). Never had anything more than a casual comment like “Those are cute, where did you get them?”

That is what I do, just wear panties to my doctors. I d usually wear solid colors and no pink or lace etc. My doctors are all male and I have not gotten any cute underwear comments. However, my primary doc will refer to them as undies when he needs me to pull them down for hernia or prostate checks. When I first began seeing him I wore male underwear and he called them underwear so I think he knows but has never commented or asked any questions other then the referring to them as undies

I have never told my primary care Doctor. I have small breasts no body hair and polished toes. I think she knows.

Hi Kristen If you go to your primary dressed even if it is only in your panties it will be obvious what clothes you prefer to wear. His/her interest in your choice of clothing would just be idle chit chat. It has no medical value unless you are seeking help from a therapist and you need his/her  recommendation. The clothes you choose to wear says a lot about you without much discussion. If you choose to begin a conversation about cross dressing with your Doctor and their maybe medical issues that you have questions about then ask away. I shave my legs often and I noticed a small growth above my ankle. I showed my Doctor and she said a lot of woman get the same thing from shaving with a razor. She recommended a dermatologist look at it when i got a chance. Nothing more was said of it. If there are serious questions about having safe sex and you maybe experiencing discomfort or pain then ask. It is your body and your life. Sharing your preference for clothes style and colors is probably best discussed with those who are interested. Enjoy who you are as a person and take care of that beautiful body it is the only one you were given.

Luv Stephanie

Patient confidentiality. Excellent point.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?