Tagged: ,

Viewing 22 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

Today- November 11 is Veteran’s day here in the US and Remembrance day in other countries. Let’s stop and reflect on the sacrifices made for all of us by those who served their countries as well as their families who sacrificed a lot too. Fell free to comment below thanking them for their service, remembering a loved one who served or one who served themselves.-and fill out the poll too; I am curious how large a contingent of vets we have here on site- I suspect it is a not insignificant number.

For me, though I did not serve myself, my brother was a Marine, and both my parents were USAF (dad having a 21 year career and serving in Vietnam. I am thankful to them for their service and providing me with examples of what it means to do your duty and the privilege of being protectors of freedom. While they have all passed, they live on in my heart and in my memory.
      Cyn

Angela Booth
      Hostess

My Father and both grandfathers served. To them and all that served for their countries I give my thanks and gratitude for the freedoms that I benefit from their duty.

skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

For those who might be interested -here is a link to a Veteran’s Day article I wrote here years ago.

https://www.crossdresserheaven.com/the-sacrifice-of-the-few-to-protect-the-freedom-of-the-many/

Cyn

Anonymous

Skippy,

Thanks. I served 28 years in the army as a commissioned officer (retired in 2012). I was never deployed and remained in the National Guard or Army Reserves my entire career. I always considered it a privilege to serve.

Stevie Steiner
      Managing Ambassador

Thank you Cyn 🙂

Served just a short time – ’79 to’81 – in the Great White North.

Yes, I served in the navy. Spent my time on fast frigates and a destroyer following Russian submarines around the Pacific Ocean and convoy duty in the Gulf during Desert Shield.

Anonymous
      Lady

My father and his brother served during the Korean war. My father was lucky and saw no combat action. His brother, my uncle, was shot when the Chinese overran his unit and he had a limp the rest of his life. My aunts husband served in WWII in the Navy. His ship was hit while in the Pacific and he helped save some of his fellow mates. Today we cannot imagine how frightening and unsure life was during WWII on the front lines or even here at home.

I’m a Vietnam veteran who served in the Army.

Oh Michelle,  my uncle too got his carrier sunk during Midway and was never the same for the rest of his life.  Welcome back to the world and thanks to you and your family for their service.  Marg

The Quad, Burn Center at Combined Forces Medical Center. Volunteer, US Army and Reserve 70-76.   I never dressed until I found out that I was Intersex years later.  Members of our family have served in every US conflict since the Civil War.  My father went in on D-Day and ran a Mash Unit under Patton and never talked about it.  Thank you all for your service and thank you Cyn for remembering.     Marg

skippy1965 Cynthia
        Ambassador

Marg,
        Also a special shout-out to the medics and nurses who sacrificed every bit as much as those who fought the battles. In some ways, even more as they dealt with repeated exposure to horrific images and loss-knowing they couldn’t save everyone but doing all they could to save as many as possible.
        Cyn

My Grandfather served – Royal Marines. Lost in WW2 when his armed merchant ship was sunk.

My Father served – Royal Marines. Survived D-Day & beyond.

I served – Royal Navy.

My brother served – Royal Navy.

My son served – Royal Navy, Royal New Zealand Navy & continues to serve in the Royal Australian Navy.

I could only tick one box in the poll. :/

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

I couldn’t choose that I served and that my parents served, so, I chose that my parents served.

I did a single hitch.

My father enlisted in the US Army at 17 in 1950(start of the Korean war). When that ended in 1953, he left active duty but stayed in the reserves.

When my parents married in 1959, he went back to active duty. He had two tours in Vietnam as helicopter crew Chiefs, ’65 he was in Hueys and ’68 he was in Chinooks. He was awarded the Bronze Star. He was partially disabled during the ’68 tour. Could have medically retired, but he chose to stay in the service.

I was born in 1972 while my parents were stationed in Frankfurt Germany. We moved to Fort Campbell, KY after that. He retired from the Army in 1979.

He proudly told everyone that he was a member of the 101st, The Screaming Eagles.

So, Dad get’s the mention today.

Thank you to all of the Veterans. Thank you for your service.

XOXO

Rayna

skippy1965 Cynthia
        Ambassador

Rayna,
        It is especially humbling to remember our vets who served in not one but two wars (and a few even three). Even though they had already served, they didn’t shy away from doing it again when their country called.
        Cyn

Peggy Sue Williams
      Duchess - Annual

US Navy,   22 years active duty,

CT   (Cryptologic Technician),

Viet Nam veteran

BillieJay
      Managing Ambassador

I was tempted to edit this so I could put in three votes, father served, I served, and my daughter did, too.

skippy1965 Cynthia
        Ambassador

Sorry to those who couldn’t vote for more than one choice before -I had selected the option to be able to do multiple choices but somehow it didn’t take. I fixed it just now (135 pm ) and also made it so you can remove your vote and vote again to properly select multiple options-please feel free to do so and again mea culpa!
        Cyn

skippy1965 Cynthia
          Ambassador

For future reference when you edit a post it apparently “resets” the poll rules from what they may have been set to re options to choose to the “regular” settings (single choice); good to know for future polls anyone does!

ChloeC
      Duchess

I’m not going to say that we are a militarily based family, but my son served during the Gulf War, I served during the VietNam War, my father served during WW2, one of my grandfathers served during WW1, his father served during the American Civil War, and I have distant ancestors that served during the War of 1812 and the American War of Independence. Also one of my brothers served in the military for 20 years as he received an AF Academy scholarship.

That’s a lot of serving, I suppose, but I’m looking at the next generation beyond my son, including a number of grandchildren of my siblings and no one has shown any interest in the military.

I suppose that the run of some kind of military combat happening about every 20 years which seems to have come to an end might be part of that as we all met the call (one way or another) and except for my brother served a single enlistment and then moved on.

I’m proud of my service and as I believe all the above are, and most vets that I’ve met.

Hugs, ChloëC

Hi Cynthia thank you for this as i chose my son just returned from Romania on a deployment for a year and aunts and uncles served as well .. So sorry i couldnt serve as medical things at time kept me from it  but i respect and appreciats all that have in our Past   Present   and our Future god bless you all ..

Hugs Stephanie Bass

Trish White
      Baroness

Thanks for the post Skippy,

Todays is indeed Remembrance day in Canada and it’s special for me because my Dad was commander of the 52nd Anti Tank battery in world war 2. He was fortunate enough to make it off Juno beach in Normandy and made it as far as Caen before getting shot by a Stuka Dive bomber. Fortunately he survived that but spent months in the hospital recuperating. But I/we owe all the men like him that were in the allied forces more than we could ever repay.

Trish

Trish, thank you and your Dad. It means alot to me when I hear about the men and ladies who have served in the military no matter what country they call home. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Lots of hugs, Allysa

skippy1965 Cynthia
        Ambassador

Echoing Alyssa’s thoughts , but also a very special shout-out to the WW2 vets who left their homes and families for up to four years with some of them not returning for the duration. And back then the only communications for most were letters- no video chats, or Skype calls, or emails-just what they could write in the times between fighting-words that thankfully on occasion live on in letters kept and later shared by their love ones.
        Cyn

Revel
      Baroness

Thanks Cynthia for starting this respectful topic on Veteran’s Day.

My Daddy is an Air Force veteran. He served during the Korean war, and he was a carpenter. He was in the Air Force for 4 years and one day, and was honorably discharged. 🙂

My father was WW2 Navy.

My draft number during Viet Nam was around 90. Over time my progression was 2S -> 1Y -> 4F…

I served on the Army for 20 years, my grandfather was a marine during WW2 wounded on Iwo Jima, 2 Uncles in the navy, 1 Great Unc;e in the Army, 1 Uncle in the Army, my father in the Navy and my daughter in the Air Force (son-in-law in the Air Force as well).

Thank you all for your service.

XOXO
      Suzanne

I served 20 years in the Navy , my oldest son served 22 years in the Navy and my second son served 6 years in the Army .

I served in the Air Force for 8 years. My step-father was a WWII Navy vet and my maternal grandfather was a WWII Army vet as well as my maternal step-grandfather.

Terri
      Duchess

When I turned 18 in 1967. They were drafting 19 yr olds. I went to the draft board in December of 67 and volunteered my draft. I was in the Army in February and in Vietnam in September. Myself and 5 of my friends went to Vietnam around same time. 3 of us came back and 3 didn’t. I often ask why.

skippy1965 Cynthia
        Ambassador

Terri,
        I can’t imagine how difficult those thoughts are-having never been in that situation. I know my dad never talked much about the year he spent in Vietnam, but my mom told us kids later that he had nightmares often. What folks in combat witness likely cannot be described or understood by those of us who haven’t been there, and leave scars both seen and unseen. I am so thankful for all y’all who sacrificed part of your lives and souls in service to the rest of us.

Anonymous
        Lady

Survivors guilt… hard to do but let it go.

There is no rhyme or reason about who comes back and who doesn’t… only chaos.

Terri
          Duchess

The time I really realized how lucky I was when I was medivaced to Japan for a non combat injury after almost 11 months in Vietnam. I was in a hospital in Japan for a week or 2. Then I was sent to a hospital in NY. I still vividly remember the other soldiers. I try not to,but every once in awhile I remember, especially on Memorial day. The funny thing was right before i got hurt i was supposed to go to Tapaei for 3 days on R&R. I had planned to have a girl dress me up. I often think how my life would have been if I had.
          Life is funny.

skippy1965 Cynthia
      Ambassador

A huge thanks to all who posted and replied and thanked here-or may do so in the future. Clearly, our members and their families represented the community well in serving their countries. As the year continues and we approach Thanksgiving here in the US and Christmas around the world, let’s remember our vets through the holiday season. It can be a lonely time of year, and so many of our vets from WW2 are passing each year. If you can , take some time to thank any veterans you see for their service, visit them in the homes, and-if you are able and feel led to-donate of your time and money to any programs that help them (Wounded Warriors, Tunnels to Towers, Fisher Houses, etc.). They gave us so much-how can we do less for them?
      Humbly,
      Cyn

I am still in the US Army Reserves 19 years in.  My best experience this past month was meeting with legal services to confirm  dressing in opposite gender clothes while off duty whether or not transitioning doesn’t violate regulations, is not an act discreditable to the Army nor is it an act unbecoming an officer.  Hooah!

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?