- November 29, 2020 at 8:07 pm #412395Sa•man•thaFounderRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 392Replies: 1629Has thanked: 7195 timesBeen thanked: 6176 times
When I was a kid, it wasnt too uncommon to see older ladies with blue hair. Not the punky day glo blue of today but the regal, silvery blue of yesteryear. My childhood neighbor lady was one.
“Mom why is her hair blue?”
“She dyed it like that.”
A conversation heard round the campfire between my aunt & uncle
– “Why do they dye their hair blue?
– “Well because when their hair turns white it bleaches the color out of their face”
– (After a moment of deep thought) “So they want their face to turn blue?”
Today it occurred to me that I haven’t seen one of these stately blue haired beauties in quite a few years, maybe not even this century. Do women even still do this?
So this is my new dream… when I grow up, I wanna be the magical blue haired lady. We all need a dream right?
- November 30, 2020 at 10:11 pm #412813Emily AltDuchess - AnnualRegistered On: August 24, 2019Topics: 10Replies: 433Has thanked: 374 timesBeen thanked: 1962 times
- November 30, 2020 at 8:05 am #412556Kathleen 60454LadyRegistered On: January 8, 2020Topics: 26Replies: 252Has thanked: 1621 timesBeen thanked: 848 times
- November 30, 2020 at 7:34 am #412548
- November 30, 2020 at 4:35 am #412517
- November 30, 2020 at 2:42 am #412504Suki RiversLadyRegistered On: November 20, 2020Topics: 5Replies: 44Has thanked: 249 timesBeen thanked: 236 times
- November 30, 2020 at 1:34 am #412491Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: July 26, 2020Topics: 50Replies: 1429Has thanked: 6653 timesBeen thanked: 7919 times
Hilarious….I do remember the blue rinse brigade…and mauve!!
Our bingo halls were full of them. In fact, when the bingo finished, you could quite often get caught up in a psychedelic tsunami…. scary!!!
- November 29, 2020 at 10:08 pm #412446stephanie plumbBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: November 17, 2018Topics: 118Replies: 1369Has thanked: 2015 timesBeen thanked: 5889 times
We do still see the occasional “blue rinse” in the UK, and sometimes pink too. As you say it is usually with the older ladies (70+), who also invariably have shortish hairstyles. My next door neighbour has a ‘girlfriend’ – indeterminate age maybe 60’s? – who has streaked blue and pink hair. She looks weird rather than elegant.
For me though it says “old” and I wouldn’t consider a blue rinse or grey wig in my (soon to be) declining years. My natural colour is ‘moonlight blonde’ – I’ll stick with that.
- November 29, 2020 at 10:29 pm #412453Sa•man•thaManaging AmbassadorRegistered On: January 21, 2018Topics: 392Replies: 1629Has thanked: 7195 timesBeen thanked: 6176 times
Steph, have I told you that I love you today? Cuz I do! 😘
So, you’re saying the blue rinse does still exist?? Wow… 😀
My next door neighbour has a ‘girlfriend’ – indeterminate age maybe 60’s? – who has streaked blue and pink hair. She looks weird rather than elegant.
Stayed too late at the fair! Its cotton candy!
- November 29, 2020 at 10:04 pm #412444Carolyne ShermanBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 20, 2018Topics: 7Replies: 316Has thanked: 136 timesBeen thanked: 950 times
- November 29, 2020 at 8:55 pm #412425ChloeCDuchessRegistered On: November 5, 2019Topics: 8Replies: 230Has thanked: 427 timesBeen thanked: 896 times
I suspect some still do, but right now, probably not too many are out. One place back in the 80’s/90’s that would have been a sure bet was Greek Town Casino in downtown Detroit. That was the casino where the out-of-towners, especially older women, came by bus, quick in, quicker out. Before the lock-downs, I’d bet there were some still showing up there. Maybe also in higher end retirement communities where there would be quality social functions.
I wouldn’t be surprised if all the greeting cards and newspaper comics that made fun of that style encouraged a slow demise.
- November 29, 2020 at 8:24 pm #412411Bettylou CoxDuchessRegistered On: May 26, 2019Topics: 17Replies: 1700Has thanked: 3017 timesBeen thanked: 5698 times
And funny you should mention that. I’m certainly in that age group, and I’m not too pleased with the off-white color of my hair; but I don’t think that blueing they used to use even exists, any longer. Maybe platinum, instead? (My youngest granddaughter dyed hers Platinum, and she looks fabulous).
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.