Viewing 38 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do you ladies shop in thrift shops or second hand shops? I have gotten a few good bargains at a local shop, blouses, skirt, and a bracelet. One downside is no return allowed, so if you buy something that doesn’t fit, you’re stuck with it.

Kerri

Hello, Ladies:

This girl shops in thrift shops all of the time. I love it. While some thrift stores in my area have a better selection than others, I find all of them have enough selection where I can more time than not find something that appeal to my tastes. And you can’t beat the prices. I can’t tell you just how many pairs of good condition Gloria Vanderbilt jeans that I have found in my size in the thrift stores I frequent. Usually at two to three dollars, I just can’t help myself to snatch up every pair that I find,

I always enjoy checking out thrift, second hand/resell, vintage, and charity shops; even though at times it is feast or famine, due to almost all items are “one and onlys”. No multiples or the full range of sizes; you could find the perfect dress, but it’s not your size and it’s the only one in the store. I’ve been fortunate to find some lovely choices.

As always; know what size fits your figure and try things on in the “dressing rooms” if you can. If you can’t return an item, just donate it to another store.

Trish White
      Baroness

Hi Kerry, I love shopping at thrift shops. Some of the nicest dresses I own have come from there. I have about 6 dresses from thrift shops and they are among my faves. I have 3 summer dresses and 3 club dresses that are just gorgeous, especially a pink lace off the shoulder dress. I have pics of it posted on my public photos, check it out. I also bought a pair of grey knee high boots ($10) and a pair of brand new dusty rose Just Fab booties ($15) that I bought from thrift stores. Thanks for the post.

Love,

Trish

Peggy Sue Williams
      Duchess - Annual

The Atlanta metro area has several thrift stores operating under various names, most popular is probably the Goodwill stores, since they operate the largest in size and number of thrift stores in this area.

I am amazed at some of the brand name labels I often find on Goodwill clothing racks, and my wife has made many beautiful jewelry purchases.

Various discounts on certain days (senior, color tag, military, etc.), can add additional savings.

In our area, the dressing rooms remain closed, due to a shortage of labor, but purchases are returnable during a seven day window (with receipt), for gift cards only.

I’ve shopped in Goodwill a few times.  I found a long red skirt which I paired with a green top and white scarf as a belt for an Italian party.  I bought a denim skirt. I bought a formal 3 piece outfit (skirt, shell, jacket).  My biggest bargin was finding a red wool trench coat for about $14.00. Even used it’s got to be worth more than that. It’s nice for a more formal outting.

Anonymous
      Lady

Like many CD’s I’ve shopped in thrift stores for years. Some are very friendly while some ran by church groups can be negative experiences.

Thrift stores are great for inexpensively figuring out your sizes and most will take returns with receipts or you can just re-donate them back for the charity. Also you can find great deals on really nice clothes. Among other stuff I’ve found nice leather coats and skirts that fit perfectly.

I am well known in my community, especially at the local thrift shop (which we call opportunity shops ((Opshops for short)) down under), so I cannot shop there.   I have seen may a good buy the Requal would enjoy wearing while visiting the opshop.  I have even donated some of Requal’s older clothing, passing them off as my wife’s.   There are no other shops closer to me.

Anonymous

I would if the staff around my area were not so judgemental. Twice I’ve been browsing the ladies size 12 section and had an officious volunteer has basically been very rude that I should not be in that section. It’s the price to be in a rural community but seems to be the norm for the whole area.

Mona
      Duchess

I mostly buy through thrift stores. New clothing ain’t cheap and it lets me try out a lot of garments I otherwise wouldn’t have. I would assume most people just think I’m shopping for my wife, which to be fair I’m also doing that too

Anonymous

We have two great thrift shop here in the LA area.  They are called Out of the Closet.  The are perfect for slightly shall we say “off center” clothes.  I love going there.

Hi Kerri and other ladies,  Thanks for this topic and all the interesting comments.  I’m a regular (about 2 shops a week) picker.  I shop for myself and for my business.  In winter I work as a woman’s costumer so I’m always looking for material, clothes, styles, costumes etc.  I carry a tape measure on my key chain to help size up my finds.  If something doesn’t work out, I just give it to a friend or re-donate it since many stores now have limited returns due to Covid.  I figure that I pay such a small price for my items compared to buying them new that I can afford the loss if something just doesn’t work out.  I have had some rude experiences in shops too, especially ones run by some more conservative groups.  I see this as sort of a bartenders grudge match and I am not about to blink first.  I state that I am a regular business customer and my buying is my business.  When I first started out many years ago I would buy old gowns and usually get comments, sometimes nice and sometimes mean.  Then, I truthfully explained that I was a beginning costumer and needed to study and practice on garments that I could afford to ruin (and I ruined a lot when I was a beginner).   So, perhaps  you want to learn to sew and your cart is filled with practice items.  Halloween is a big deal for costumers but we buy all year long to be ready for the requests.  So another common reply was that I was in charge Halloween costumes and these items would be prepared or modified in time for the celebration and if I waited until then there would be no selection (which also is the truth).   Sometimes I would be stopped at the counter and questioned by nosey customers or cashiers.  A typical comment would  be “oh that’s a lovely bra, what are you going to do with it?”),  And I would just reply “well,  I’m going to cut it up and use the frame to be placed in an evening gown and the colored straps will repair a cocktail dress, oh, and this top I’m going try to tie dye”.  That usually shuts everyone up or starts a friendly conversation.  When I am out I regularly run into competitors who are picking too.  Many times they are buying for their own resale operations (like Ebay, Etsy and Posh).  So it is not unusual for a couple to be working as a team with a man pushing a cart loaded with women’s clothes while the woman picks but sometimes the man just works alone.  These types can be quite pushy.  It’s all business to them.  So make sure you have a cart and immediately put anything that you think you might buy into the cart or else it’s fair game.    So that’s my take on dealing with the rigors of thrifting.  Just hum the Star Trek Theme and be bold and go where no thrifter has gone before.  Safe Journey, Marg

Fiona Black
      Baroness - Annual

I do but not that often. The Goodwill stores around here are pretty crappy and there’s only two other thrift stores to choose from, both with small selections. I usually shop at Macy’s, Kohl’s or TJ Maxx.

Anonymous

I LOVE thrift shops!! And resale shops, and Goodwill, and consignment shops, and…

In other words, I LOVE shopping!

But of course I love getting amazing deals on wonderful styles and fashions, so shopping in thrift stores has definitely yielded some amazing buys over the years. It always shocks me how some women seem to discard dresses, heels, jewelry and more after only wearing them once (okay, maybe a few times), but that means it’s a better deal for me! I’ve purchased literally everything from lingerie to dresses and heels, jewelry and accessories in thrift shops. The main ting is to look carefully, make sure they’re not damaged, make sure they’re clean, and then clean them again when you get home. I’ve done that and have never had any problems.

Hugs,

Holly

I buy nearly all of my clothes at Charity shops; some do returns.  I usually try things out if they don’t fit me or work for me then I donate them back…

Jenny Liu
      Lady

A definite YES!  One reason is that as a working adult, I don’t have additional budget for Jenny’s stuff.  The other reason is that I get many choices when shopping at thrift shops, especially at Bealls (good price with many options) when I was still living in Florida.  Since I moved up to the mid-Atlantic area, I am still trying to search for similar outlets.  If anyone of you know, please share.  Thanks!

Jenny

I shop so often at Savers that I have a loyalty account, which gives you a 20% discount once you reach $100 in purchases as well as periodic sales events via email. Tuesdays are senior days when those of us 55+ get 30% off, plus you get coupons when you donate. Occasionally the register tape prints a survey code which once completed online gets you a coupon as well. Pre-COVID-19 I would freely utilize the dressing rooms to narrow down my selections or simply snap selfies, but those rooms were closed when the chain reopened several months in and eventually were removed altogether, so now they have a 14 day exchange policy on clothing and shoes. I have been to other thrift stores but only a few of them are worth the bother and they don’t have the variety that Savers does. There are certain things that I buy new but a majority of my wardrobe has come from Savers.

Christine

We always find some of the most intersting things in a thrift shop, clothing, books, kitchenware. Many clothing items locally can be returned withing 3 days. We normally hit the fitting rooom before checkout so seldom have a problem. If we do find something not quite right, we donate it right back and get a tax deduction.

Krista
      Duchess

Hi Kerri
      I shop in thrift shops less frequently now then when I first started buying femme clothing. I’m a lot more picky now in what I buy. But when I first started, thrift shops were the perfect place to try sizes and learn about femme clothing. And I learned my lesson early on about the no return policy. So a few early purchases were just donated back to the thrift shop, no big deal. But pretty quickly I learned (and overcame my fear) that if an item was a questionable size, then I try it on in the store before I buy it. I admit my first couple of times in the change room, I was sweating from nerves; but now it isn’t a big deal to go into the change room. I did it last week buying femme Levis at Walmart. It helps when a store has uni-sex change rooms.
      Have a wonderful week, Hugs, Krista🐶

Lea
      Lady

Always for my fem stuff! Shoes are about the only item I end up buying new because it’s hard to find my size at thrift shops. I can’t resist the dollar rack or color tag sales.

No reason to be buying things that don’t fit. Most thrift shops here like salvation army or goodwill have dressing rooms so dont be afraid to try things on there before purchasing. I just take a bunch of items in and draw the curtain or close the door and never a hassle.

Peggy Sue Williams
        Duchess - Annual

Deborah,

You are fortunate to have Goodwill dressing rooms open in the LA area?

Goodwill dressing rooms here in the metro Atlanta area have not been open going into the 3rd year.  At first, it was for health reasons.  Now it is because of labor shortage issues.  Labor issues also cause long lines at check out and huge piles of donated goods at the donation receiving location.

On a positive note, there is a return policy which allows for clothing items to be returned with attached tags and a receipt within seven days of the sale, for a gift card only.

Oh my Peggy that sounds dreadful. Hopefully that will end soon. I just love looking at retro clothing in these shops but always walk out having bought something like tops or skirts. Still looking for that wedding dress in my size now.

Oh yes! I LOVE shopping at thrift shops! There is one special Goodwill store on the other side of town that i frequent regularly. It has a wonderful array of tops, dresses, skirts, material for veils and other delightful things. That is my first option.

I’m especially partial to consignment stores. If you’re ever near Erie, PA, check out the Sassy Peacock. A simply amazing selection of classy dresses, skirts, tops, handbags, belts, jewelry, etc. A veritable paradise for any stylush girl.

I’m the oddball in responses, but I used to shop at thrift stores but no longer.

I usually don’t find anything that tickles my fancy, and when there is something nice, sizing is just way too small.

True, pricing is second to none.  However, all the stuff I bought from thrift stores have been re – donated again.

Recently I just picked up a pair of leather, ladies, dress pants. They were in like new condition I have seen pants like these in high fashion stores for approximately $400 to $500.
      This was at a thrift store in Canada called “Value Village” I only paid $32.00 and thought I really had a steal.

Rayna Carlian
      Duchess

TBH, I started shopping thrift shops to get a feel for my taste and sizes. That way I could try stuff on the cheap.

I found some courage and started shopping stores like Kohls and Macy’s and they have great return policies if things didn’t fit while dressing rooms were closed for covid.

Now that dressing rooms are open, I try things on in the store and only return if the Mrs tells me she hates something.

Thanks

xoxo

Rayna

Revel
      Baroness

Yes! I love shopping in them, and finding a deal. It’s one of my favorite things to do. Some of my hats and dresses were bought in thrift shops. It’s amazing what some people want to get rid of and donate.

One woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure. 🙂

Rev

I have. There used to be a local resale store that catered to tall and plus size ladies. The owner was TG friendly. Sadly they went out of business.

Yes, love them. My first dress, skirt, jewellery, blazer and ladies pants all came from a thrift store. I have many dresses and a few skirts from there, some shoes too.

I get most of my clothes at Goodwill, Salvation Army or Savers. The price of the clothes being so inexpensive its kind of dangerous while shopping. I have over 100 dresses. not sure but a lot of shoes. My shoe must of come from the gurls at purge. I wear a womens size 12 and most of the shoes I get look like they were never worn or they have only been on carpet.

Another great place where I get my clothes from is Torrid and alway shop the clearance section.

Don’t be afraid to go to one of these stores and get/try on cute clothes no matter how you are dress. Just be confident and not creepy. With confidence you will have a very pleaserable experance.

Jasmine
      Lady

Personally I love to shop places like Goodwill second hand stores consignment shops I love going to those you do have to do a little bit of searching especially like for me when it comes to shoes because I have to look for the right size around 11 12 but as far as the clothes I can usually find my size no problem because luckily I have fairly slender frame so my size is pretty common when it comes to women’s clothes

Patty Phose
      Duchess

When I was in college and in my dressing prime, I got lots of dresses and other items from thrift shops. For what one dress might cost at a department store, I cold walk out of the thrift shop with a whole new wardrobe.

Some of the dresses I did have to customize to make them more Patty style but it was easy to do.

I have many used men’s clothing to be converted into female …..
      I like the policy of giving new life to clothing; I bought a sewing machine.
      Now I am busy building my bra, cup b from a balconette bra and the band that closes taken from an over size 130 cm, I hope to succeed in this assembly.

XOXOX from Italy
      Greta 👙❤️

If you approach thrift store shopping without a specific thing in mind, you can often score big. If you are looking for something in particular, it’s likely you will be disappointed. An open mind and creativity is essential for successful thrift shopping.

Dear Kris

What I meant is that I prefer to convert what I already have of masculine into women’s clothing. Generally in the second-hand/thrift markets/store that are in the city where I live, there is nothing womenswear for my size or a larger size that can be converted or reset for me.

I do this too! I find men’s T-shirts easy to convert to fem fit.
            Stephanie x.

Peta Mari
          Lady

This is my experience as well. When I go in I tell them I’m tyre kicking.

The other day I found two ladies tops hanging in the mens section. A purple flannelette shirt and a black tee shirt. Onto the counter they went.

I have shopped at my local goodwill several times. Have found it very exhilarating. It so wonderful to shop for Women’s Clothes and I always try on everything I am looking to buy. That is so incredible!!! And you can get some great deals on pretty clothes. I got the LBD I always desired at Goodwill

Hey, Ladies:

How I just love saying that. When I’m here on Crossdresser Heaven I find myself feeling like a lady. Sharing myself with other ladies who understand and share my desires for all things beautiful a feminine has this way of making me feel gorgeous.

On to the topic at hand. There was this pair of simply delicious Jessica Simpson 5″ peek toe pumps at the thrift store that I tend to frequent several times a week. They are black with big bejeweled broaches above the peep toes. I feel in love with them the second that I laid eyes on them. The best part is that they were a size 11. Just my size. I didn’t get them right away. But I couldn’t get those little beauty’s out of my mind. I finally went and got them. When I got them a slipped them on to my feet I felt like I’d died and gone to heaven. There is just something about slipping into five inch heels that makes me feel so beautiful and sensual. Now I just need to figure out how to walk in them. Someday those little beauty’s will be out on the town as this girl expresses her fierceness.

Just bought a cute fun skirt for $3.00 cant beat that.  Plus it was fun to try on in the store.

Anonymous

I just bought a nice pair of black pumps at a thrift store yesterday.  I wore them for an outing and they were very comfortable to walk in yet still looked very feminine.

Kerri

I get fantastic quality clothes at Goodwill in Maine. Top brands, Talbot, LL Bean, and Ralph Lauren to name a few. I can spot the nicest material on the rack. Goodwill allows returns. St Vincent de Paul thrift stores in the upscale “rich towns” have great deals also. No returns, but very inexpensive. Cheers to all.

Before things closed up, I would usually go once a week or every 2 weeks. At least half the time I would find something that I wanted. Now that places are open again, I haven’t started going again, but that will probably change in a few months. I still do online shopping with Etsy, Poshmark, Mercari, Ruby Lane, etc.

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Crossdresser Heaven Polls’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?