Viewing 5 reply threads
New Forums
  • Author

Hi girls,

Tights are what got me into crossdressing as I may have already mentioned🙄, and I have assumed, but never really known what the difference is between pantyhose and tights.

In the UK tights cover every type, sheer, opaque, woollen, lacy, fishnet, you name it. Β If it has a wasteband with 2 legs attached in one garment, then it is a pair of tights.

I believe it’s not the same overseas, but no idea what all the other countries around the world call them. I think in the US, pantyhose only refer to sheer tights, but I’m confused.

When do tights become pantyhose?

In the US, pantyhose are sheer, while tights are opaque.

But I think there is more than how sheer or opaque they are . The knit is different on tights as opposed to pantyhose. If I get a hole in a pair of tights, it pretty much stays where it is. I can continue to wear the tights. If I get a hole in pantyhose, it will tend to ladder or run. Most likely I will have to toss the pantyhose after taking them off.

Thank you, from what you are saying, it sounds like the nylon, or synthetic sheer tights are pantyhose, whereas everything else are tights. What do you call fishnets, Lacey tights, are they still tights?

β€œFishnets” or β€œfishnet stockings” whether they are tights/pantyhose style, made to go with a garter belt, stayups, or all-in-ones woven up into a belt instead of closed like tights.

Katie,

I think there are quite a few threads on this scattered throughout the forum, but I think as a general rule you have it right: “tights” tend to be the more thicker garment made out of cotton, wool, etc., whereas “pantyhose” are the more sheer, nylon variety.

In addition, “pantyhose” in the past used to have a “panty” lining (hence the name) which meant they could be worn without any other underwear. Over time, this has tended to gradually disappear, although the name stuck. I also believe, in the US at least, that there is an age connotation, with pantyhose being worn by older girls/adults. In the past, it was almost seen as a rite of passage.

Katie D xx

K most have explained the difference of the 2 and I wear them a lot. More so pantyhose but do own and wear tights as well. Pantyhose feel so amazing to wear and make your legs look so much better imo.

Patty Phose
      Duchess

Pantyhose are generally regarded as sheer and tights opaque. If you go by denier, which is sort of a measurement of material thickness, sheer pantyhose can start at 8 denier or less and go up to around 50 denier. After that, the material gets heavier. That’s more or less where they begin becoming opaque.

Pantyhose like Legg’s Sheer Energy is around 30 denier. I have some other pantyhose that is 40 denier. They are still nice and sheer. The lower the denier, the sheerer they are and the more delicate they are. 8 or 10 denier is very sheer and very delicate. Just not carefully putting them on can lead to putting runs and holes in them and ruining a pair before you even get them on.

Conversely, a high denier over 50, like 70 or 80 are much less sheer but considerably more durable. They also have greater coverage. They can be worn and can look really great on legs with hair on them. They cover the hair. If you can’t shave you legs but want to show them in hosiery, high denier or opaque may be the way to go. In my opinion, hair crushed under sheer pantyhose dies not look good.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Chat “Life as it Goes On”’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Β©2024 Crossdresser Heaven |Β PrivacyΒ |Β Terms of UseΒ | Link to us |Β Contact VanessaΒ |Β Advertise with Crossdresser Heaven

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates fromΒ Crossdresser Heaven.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Forgot your details?