- November 19, 2021 at 7:32 pm #577902BobbiParticipantRegistered On: September 13, 2018Topics: 30Replies: 1672Has thanked: 1849 timesBeen thanked: 4503 times
OK for those who don’t know, I’m a girl mechanic. To say It’s been an “interesting career” would be an understatement of EPIC proportions! I’ve worked on just about every car you can imagine.
I’ve been “Mechanic to the stars” (I won’t drop names as it’s unprofessional), I’ve resurected cars that should have “stayed dead”, I’ve worked at many shops in my career & now I’m tired. Tired of dumb questions by management, tired of being “hit on” by customers (a couple have put their hands on my thighs during a road test), tired of snide remarks from co-workers.
The shop I currently work in has been sold, & I have no desire to move into another shop, nor do I wish to get to know the new owner, so it’s time to take my final curtsey & retire.
The first thing I’m gonna do is go to the nail salon & get a full set! I’ve ALWAYS had manicures in my profession, (I never hid my true identity) but they never last long.
I’m gonna have lasting manicures!! I’m gonna have my big strong son (he’s ex-US Marine) help me move my tools into my garage where they will happily rust away from lack of use!
I’m gonna get into my cute, girly car & drive off into the sunset & focus on my music!
Wish me luck, Patty & Anya!
Total of 52 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
- November 22, 2021 at 3:24 pm #579091patty williamsHostessRegistered On: January 19, 2019Topics: 85Replies: 1568Has thanked: 2625 timesBeen thanked: 6038 times
I’m so happy your getting to retire from wrenching.
It will definitely be the auto maintenance worlds loss as I have talked to you enough to know you are an excellent mechanic and trouble shooter on these high tech new cars.
Your shop doesn’t know how blessed they were to have you and to have the opportunity to possibly have you as a friend.
I sure hope your retirement from auto maintenance is every thing you want it to be my friend.
- November 22, 2021 at 11:38 am #578961LeahBaronessRegistered On: June 13, 2018Topics: 3Replies: 298Has thanked: 4410 timesBeen thanked: 1113 times
Happy retirement Hopefully you can dress more now.
Once a Marine..Always a Marine…Never an “ex Marine”
- November 22, 2021 at 11:51 am #578972BobbiLadyRegistered On: September 13, 2018Topics: 30Replies: 1672Has thanked: 1849 timesBeen thanked: 4503 times
Thanks Leah. I already dress 24/7/365, I just had to wear a uniform at work, which is just as well because I wouldn’t work in my “civies” anyway. 🙂
1 user thanked author for this post.
- November 22, 2021 at 7:10 am #578832Wendy SwiftLadyRegistered On: May 11, 2020Topics: 9Replies: 714Has thanked: 696 timesBeen thanked: 3137 times
That sounds sooooooo awesome ! I really envy you that you’re hanging up one career and moving onto another one.
I’m also staring down the path of retirement, and if it is my choice I’ll stick around until it happens. Once I do decide to hang up my boots, I’m not revisting my current career, EVER. Like you, I’ll pursue other interests.
- November 21, 2021 at 6:15 am #578383Katie PlowrightLadyRegistered On: October 15, 2021Topics: 2Replies: 66Has thanked: 252 timesBeen thanked: 366 times
Bobbi, congratulations on pulling the eject handle. I’m so close in doing the same. Sounds surreal that I am begging for redundancy or I may just say as you have, enough is enough. BTW I also have a Mazda RF in the garage which I’d love to drive all dressed up, have to run that past my SO first though.
- November 20, 2021 at 2:11 pm #578171
- November 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm #578168KristaDuchessRegistered On: January 24, 2017Topics: 9Replies: 771Has thanked: 3025 timesBeen thanked: 3804 times
Hi Bobbi, Congratulations on your decision. Retirement is the absolute Best!!!! I retired five years ago and I absolutely love it. I’m just busy enough to make life interesting. And best of all, I get to change my femme outfits at least five or six times per day. You know, different outfits for different activities: indoor exercise, outdoor exercise, grocery shopping, going to the gun club, cooking, etc. Have a lovely rest of the weekend, All the Best, Hugs, Krista.
- November 22, 2021 at 11:03 am #578948
- November 20, 2021 at 1:29 pm #578162Angela BoothLadyRegistered On: August 1, 2020Topics: 4Replies: 628Has thanked: 1724 timesBeen thanked: 3029 times
- November 20, 2021 at 12:58 pm #578145Beth GreenLadyRegistered On: February 24, 2021Topics: 30Replies: 577Has thanked: 5705 timesBeen thanked: 3178 times
- November 22, 2021 at 11:06 am #578951LadyRegistered On: September 13, 2018Topics: 30Replies: 1672Has thanked: 1849 timesBeen thanked: 4503 times
Oh sweety, I ALWAYS live the way I want! (I was never one to let society stop me!).
I did have to wear a uniform designed for men, but I wear my dresses TO work & FROM work! 🙂
1 user thanked author for this post.
- November 20, 2021 at 11:40 am #578128Sarah Du HessisseLadyRegistered On: September 16, 2020Topics: 28Replies: 815Has thanked: 5580 timesBeen thanked: 3243 times
- November 20, 2021 at 12:32 pm #578142LadyRegistered On: September 13, 2018Topics: 30Replies: 1672Has thanked: 1849 timesBeen thanked: 4503 times
- November 20, 2021 at 12:51 pm #578144
- November 20, 2021 at 12:43 pm #578143Bobbisue JonesLadyRegistered On: May 24, 2021Topics: 12Replies: 689Has thanked: 4829 timesBeen thanked: 2715 times
- November 21, 2021 at 6:30 am #578397LadyRegistered On: September 13, 2018Topics: 30Replies: 1672Has thanked: 1849 timesBeen thanked: 4503 times
Thanks Bobbisue. It’s been a long time coming! I’m gonna do a lot of dancing!
time to put the nice satin sheets on the bed, as I won’t be bringing any dirt home ever again!
Perhaps the best thing of all, is that I won’t have to take off my pretty clothes to put on some shitty uniform! This girl is over the moon! 🙂
1 user thanked author for this post.
- November 20, 2021 at 11:40 am #578127Stephanie RobertsPrincessRegistered On: May 20, 2020Topics: 20Replies: 1143Has thanked: 9630 timesBeen thanked: 4488 times
- November 20, 2021 at 11:09 am #578118ChloeCDuchessRegistered On: November 5, 2019Topics: 11Replies: 445Has thanked: 1325 timesBeen thanked: 2026 times
Good for you, Bobbi.
Every year now since I retired (laid-off, found odd jobs, finally gave in) it’s actually been better than the previous year. Just wish I were 20 years younger so I could enjoy it even more. What really makes it nice is the kids are all adults now and mostly responsible for their own decisions (yeah they do call Mom and Dad on occasion), we have absolutely no debts, and we can make whatever choices we want and have the opportunity to really enjoy them.
May your retirement bring as much happiness!
- November 20, 2021 at 12:29 pm #578140
- November 20, 2021 at 10:57 am #578112Michelle McQueenLadyRegistered On: June 14, 2021Topics: 16Replies: 718Has thanked: 3435 timesBeen thanked: 3631 times
Congratulations on retirement! You’re going to love it. I’ve been retired for about six years and am so happy doing just what I want when I want. It takes a bit of getting used to all that free unscheduled time so just relax for while and let your daily routine form. Clocks don’t mean so much anymore to me.
- November 19, 2021 at 11:28 pm #577944Grace ScarlettBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 16, 2021Topics: 161Replies: 3827Has thanked: 14419 timesBeen thanked: 23027 times
I hope you love every second of your new found freedom. Have a blast and wake up every morning doing exactly what YOU want to do….and not what you HAVE to do.
Enjoy your ” musical mystery tour”
- November 20, 2021 at 10:25 am #578107LadyRegistered On: September 13, 2018Topics: 30Replies: 1672Has thanked: 1849 timesBeen thanked: 4503 times
- November 20, 2021 at 1:46 pm #578164Holly GoodrichDuchessRegistered On: April 19, 2021Topics: 196Replies: 765Has thanked: 3233 timesBeen thanked: 4752 times
Bobbi, you’re slightly off the mark about one thing😋😋😋. All of us have the same thing to answer to.
It’s that small, still voice in our head that says “uh-uh-uh” or maybe, “go for it”.
Me, I ignore that voice all the while wishing I could tape its mouth shut!!😀😀😀😀
- November 19, 2021 at 10:37 pm #577939MartiBaroness - AnnualRegistered On: February 5, 2019Topics: 48Replies: 808Has thanked: 3647 timesBeen thanked: 3671 times
- November 19, 2021 at 9:20 pm #577927
- November 19, 2021 at 9:17 pm #577921DuchessRegistered On: April 19, 2021Topics: 196Replies: 765Has thanked: 3233 timesBeen thanked: 4752 times
Gotta admit the title had me fooled. I thought for sure it was another sheep leaving the flock. So glad I was wrong. Anyhoo,
Welcome to retirement gf. But watch out, it’s easy to get bored.
Hugz,Holly and Sissy
- November 19, 2021 at 8:32 pm #577916Michelle BrownRegistered On: August 23, 2015Topics: 3Replies: 144Has thanked: 996 timesBeen thanked: 535 times
Bobbi,I can truly say”Been there and done that”.There is a great feeling of satisfaction when you take a non functioning vehicle and make it run ,stop,start ,and handle like a champ.Keep looking forward girl,get your manicure and pedicure and be the girl you need to be. Hugs,Michelle.
- November 19, 2021 at 8:34 pm #577918
- November 19, 2021 at 7:45 pm #577903SylviaLadyRegistered On: October 10, 2021Topics: 1Replies: 264Has thanked: 6057 timesBeen thanked: 1034 times
- November 19, 2021 at 7:57 pm #577905LadyRegistered On: September 13, 2018Topics: 30Replies: 1672Has thanked: 1849 timesBeen thanked: 4503 times
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.